PDA

View Full Version : DIY Cv Shafts on a Honda Prelude??

Shawty
31-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, well I've ordered a passenger side CV Shaft for my car as its clearly buggered makin' some nice noises on turns
What im mostly wondering is how hard this is to do yourself?
Ah its a 88 Prelude btw my dads gonna help me he has a Hoist and all manner of tools n stuff in his garage as he works on his own Porche race car
Kinda wondering how long it would take for someone with a resonable knowledge of mechanical stuff?
(dont wanna get stuck over at my parents house all day lol!)
Anyways any tips or advice would be wonderful
Thanks in advance :)!

string
31-07-2008, 09:00 PM
It'll take a couple of hours if your not familiar with the car mechanically - during which time you should be familiarizing yourself with all the bolts, arms etc... Someone experienced and in a hurry could probably do it in a quarter of that time. I rate it a 2/10 on the difficulty scale, give or take 1 point depending on what method you use to free the upright (ball joint is easy if you know how to do it, I unhooked the upper control arm the first few times but not anymore).

Give it a go. :thumbsup:

Shawty
31-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the reply :) hopefully it goes well!

fatboyz39
31-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Should take you a good 1-2 hours. Not hard, take your time and remember where all the bolts go.

string
31-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Make sure you're careful not to extend the joints (the bits covered by the boot) too far. It's very easy to do and it's a pain in the arse to have to take off the boot, re-assemble then re-pack - it will teach you the real meaning of some bad words :D

If you have any questions about the actual procedure just ask. I and many others on this forum have done it countless times and know every detail :)

CB7_OWNER
31-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I did mine in about 2 hours..l that both the fronts with the help of my neighbour...what i recall was..

1. Loosen HUB nut while car is on ground and brakes applied( by sum1 else)...with a huge ass breaker bar.
2. Loosen the upper control arm + balljoint
3.Loosen part of the lower arm too i think..
4. take hub nut off , and bash the end of the hub/rotor ( my neighbour is ghetto)
5. the rotor/hub asembly should free from the CV shaft leave it hanging or rest it on a bucket.
6. yank and pull at the cv shaft, and it should just rip out...(just remembered i had to drain the tranny fluid FIRST since mines auto, not sure if its the same for manual) cause when the shaft pops out apparently the fluid suppose to comeout there..

Hope it helps?

Shawty
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Awesome a 2 hour job would be great lol hopefully ill get lucky and the courier will turn up today and we can do it over the weekend, other wise i have to wait till after dads next race meet on the 16th :(
If its already making a kinda clonking noise on sharp turns im guessin its a bad idea to drive it far hey.. lol
(btw excuse my cluelessness im female haha :))
Oh and String, would u mind if i PM'd You if you could possibly give me a sort of run down on how to do it it would be awesome, im sure my dad has a fair idea but it might help if i have some useful advice as i dont think hes familiar with the actual model of car..