PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Honda CRV Throttle getting stuck

munkaii
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi everybody at Ozhonda,

First post for me and its with regards to the family CRV I drive. The problem is pretty much in the title. On regular occasions when I'm at a traffic light and I move onto the accelerator to get moving, I'll find that it gets stuck. The pedal literally jams and I have to floor it very hard to get it unstuck and causing some fully sick wheelspin. Dad's mate took out the throttle body a few weeks ago, cleaned it with some petrol and it worked fine for a few days and the problem slowly began to re-emerge. Now, my dad's mate things its something to do with the electronics in the throttle body (something to do with the operation of the cruise control) losing contacts and causing the pedal to jam up, which I find hard to believe.

Will be taking out the throttle body tomorrow and clean it up some proper cleaning agents before I put it in. I suspect it might be time to swap the air filter? Car has done about 80000ks and the re-emergence might be dirt and scum getting into the throttle body again.

I'm no car guru but it makes sense to me that the throttle is mechanically controlled and not electric (not for my crv anyway) and the problem is with the throttle body. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Kevin

thepope1986
06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
can you feel the throttle linkages actually jamming up. may just need a lube with some CRC or something

destrukshn
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
use carby clean.
take off your intake pipe to the throttle body.
spray inside it, and also, use a lint free cloth, making sure no debree gets in there and start cleaning it with the cloth as well.

thepope1986
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
just be careful as some throttle bodies can be damaged by cleaning (it should say on it somewhere)

munkaii
27-08-2008, 07:26 PM
turned out the throttle linkages were being jammed. all fixed up and secured now.

cheers the pope!

thepope1986
28-08-2008, 06:06 PM
no worries glad to help