PDA

View Full Version : DC2R - Spoon Flywheel

Icegroove
04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi,

I will soon be getting a new clutch and flywheel package....more then likely i'll just get an exedy sports organic (im not looking for anything hardcore..just a bit better then OEM is fine..). I figure at the same time i will do the flywheel. :p

Am thinking of just going with Spoon (4.1kg)..but was just wondering if any other DC2R owners had oppinions about any other brands? pro/cons? or are they all fairly similar?

Thanks in advance....:wave:

Elwood
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I have Spoon, and its fine.

People will tell you that Toda is better because the holes are drilled towards the outside of the flywheel, therefore making it spin easier.

Just get whatever is cheaper (Spoon vs Toda).

fatboyz39
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I have Spoon, and its fine.

People will tell you that Toda is better because the holes are drilled towards the outside of the flywheel, therefore making it spin easier.

Just get whatever is cheaper (Spoon vs Toda).

Exedy will do just as fine.

All in all its a lighten flywheel. Having a 4kg and 4.5kg wont make much difference.

Elwood
04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Exedy will do just as fine.

All in all its a lighten flywheel. Having a 4kg and 4.5kg wont make much difference.

Oh yeh and Exedy..

I just assumed this would turn out to be another Spoon vs. Toda argument..

fatboyz39
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah true...ill go for spoon over toda...cause it sounds coool :P

Elwood
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah true...ill go for spoon over toda...cause it sounds coool :P

Mine came with stickers, too!

:P

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd go Toda Flywheel, as the Holes are closer to the outside than the Spoon. But I have an RG flywheel. Does the job for me!

As for clutches... Toda and Spoon clutches are rebranded Exedy's. So save your money and buy an Exedy sports organic.

aaronng
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Mine came with stickers, too!

:P

My exedy came with shiny stickers too!

EG5
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I'd go Toda Flywheel, as the Holes are closer to the outside than the Spoon. But I have an RG flywheel. Does the job for me!

As for clutches... Toda and Spoon clutches are rebranded Exedy's. So save your money and buy an Exedy sports organic.

Where do you get that info from ?
Exedy clutch = rebranded daikin clutch. As they dont want people to get confused with Daikin Air Conditioning etc

Icegroove
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
thanks for the input guys....

looks like the stickers will have me sold. haha j/k....daikin air con clutch ftw!

last question: for those that got the spoon - was there a noticeable difference from the stock one? :wave:

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Where do you get that info from ?
Exedy clutch = rebranded daikin clutch. As they dont want people to get confused with Daikin Air Conditioning etc

Ok but still Daikin ir rebranded to Exedy, and Exedy is rebranded to Toda etc.

Just like some carbon Vision parts are rebranded to Spoon.

TheFranchise
07-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Considered ORC?

Icegroove
07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
^
I have..and my mech also recommended it as he also had it in his DC2 (k20).

However...for my usage i don't think i will require ORC's product.

Speeder
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah how do the ORC compare to that of Exedy+Spoon combo?

Talking about the ORC 250 series.

Sp00ny
08-08-2008, 08:04 PM

I can't comment on Toda...but Spoon are generally manufactured by Honda's OEM Manufacturer just to differant spec/standards...Notice the "NISIN" logo on the majority of spoon products? ;)

Elwood
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I can't comment on Toda...but Spoon are generally manufactured by Honda's OEM Manufacturer just to differant spec/standards...Notice the "NISIN" logo on the majority of spoon products? ;)

Welcome to 3 years ago.

And that NISIN logo is on the brakes.

VTECMACHINE
09-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Yeah true... NISIN is on the brakes.

Spoon pretty much do nothing themselves. LOL. It's all OEM stuff reworked, and rebranded other brands.

OEM type R clutches are Exedy / Daiken aswell, possibly all OEM clutches.

Mooks79
17-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I had a toda lighten Flywheel...........there not too xpensive at alll.....got them at toda shhop

aaronng
18-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Welcome to 3 years ago.

It's actually NISSIN if you look at their logo, there are 2 "S"'s. Nissin (although a slightly different logo) is also on my instant noodle pack. :p

VTECMACHINE
18-08-2008, 01:41 PM
It's actually NISSIN if you look at their logo, there are 2 "S"'s. Nissin (although a slightly different logo) is also on my instant noodle pack. :p

http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/original/nengun-1305-02-spoon-twin-block_caliper_set.jpg

aaronng
18-08-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/original/nengun-1305-02-spoon-twin-block_caliper_set.jpg
Yup, just found confirmation that it is NISSIN and not NISIN.
http://world.honda.com/NissinKogyo/

VTECMACHINE
18-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah you're right, as long as it's not dirty Nissan making our brakes.

aaronng
18-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I like my instant noodle brakes.

Back on topic. How much more expensive are Spoon flywheels over the Exedy equivalent? In the end, they are both almost the same weight, both are or from reputable OEMs and they do the job without exploding into a million pieces inside the gearbox.

Sp00ny
21-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome to 3 years ago.

It's also on the Spoon Throttle Body...there are others but i havnt seen IRL any others...

Spoon are part of honda...they don't manufacturer there products independantly...which is why they are so expensive...they are of "OEM" quality...as far as I know...they havn't changed....

Yup, just found confirmation that it is NISSIN and not NISIN.
http://world.honda.com/NissinKogyo/

Its not double "S" i don't think...i think its just there logo for the S. My Brake Master Cylinder just says NISIN i think. Not positive though.

aaronng
21-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Its not double "S" i don't think...i think its just there logo for the S. My Brake Master Cylinder just says NISIN i think. Not positive though.
Go to Nissin Kogyo's home page and they say that they are brake experts. And Honda's home page says that Nissin Kogyo supplies parts for them. Hence it is double S.

Sp00ny
22-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Go to Nissin Kogyo's home page and they say that they are brake experts. And Honda's home page says that Nissin Kogyo supplies parts for them. Hence it is double S.

Huh interesting. Always assumed it was a single one...wasn't too sure though. Weird that it says brakes only...ive seen the "NISSIN" symbol on a Throttle body too.. :S

VTECMACHINE
22-08-2008, 12:02 PM
It's also on the Spoon Throttle Body...there are others but i havnt seen IRL any others...

Spoon are part of honda...they don't manufacturer there products independantly...which is why they are so expensive...they are of "OEM" quality...as far as I know...they havn't changed....

Spoon is not part of Honda. Spoon modify some OEM honda parts to get better gains. ie: the throttle bodies, are 2nd hand throttle bodies. The inlet is machined to a larger size. In Japan, if you were to buy a TB from Spoon, you would have to swap over your stock TB, and pay them for the machine work (Perhaps Nissin does it - and that's why it's stamped on the TB?).

AFAIK, Spoon doesn't manufacture any of their parts. They just rebrand everything. Ever compared, Spoon mirrors / Vision Mirrors... Trust air filters / Spoon air Filters... Vision B-pipes / Spoon B-pipes? There are so many more...

Hell spoon engines aren't anything special at all. They are OEM N1 engines. Meaning Spoon strip 5 engines, weigh everything, match up all parts between the 5 engines, see which ones are the closest weights and put it together.