PDA

View Full Version : dc2r reliability

turbo convert
05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
just thinking, i might sell the evo and go back to a dc2r as a i need $$$$ t obuy a house, how reliable would/ how long would a dc2r last with 140,000kms?
I know its more subject to the conditon etc, but i general
also does a jdm dc2r have a airbag steering wheel?

jords
05-08-2008, 12:36 PM
JDM DC2R = no air bag

Chi
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
JDM 96 spec has no airbag as standard
98 + spec has airbag. ( or it might of been an option ?)

rpm boy
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
do all AUDM DC2R's have air bags?

ewendc2r
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
IMHO - They are fairly reliable .. Few things need doing at that age including timing belt, filters, brakes (maybe), clutch (Maybe) etc ..

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
do all AUDM DC2R's have air bags?

Yes. It's illegal to fit a NON-airbag steering wheel to a AUDM ITR, or any AUDM car that came with an air bag from factory.

turbo convert
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
thanks so far guys, ok so that established, i used to have audm dc2r, was just wondering about the jdm but is cleared up now........ now just for the km's reliablity, i mean i know to check engine mounts etc for thrashing blah blah, its just how long the engine can last for?

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Well Elwood has done 2 track days, some OPH runs, and some hard driving.. his car is 130+ k Km's old... and the car isn't blowing smoke, or burning oil.

Mines done 105 k Km's, and the engine is still pulling great power, not blowing smoke (it's running a bit rich, due to tune), and it's not burning oil (Even on a track day).

Steve and I service our cars religiously though. So I guess you can say a well maintained car should be good for alot of KM's. Perhaps look at finding a DC2R with HEAPS of Km's for cheap, and then doing a engine rebuild.

Q_ball
05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
140 is nothing.
You have a look at some cabs around the city theyre on 500+ kms... and are still zipping around causing havoc ... AND theyre Holden/Ford engines haha.

So long as the services have been regular i say its fine to go.
Overall build quality on these motors are great.

rpm boy
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes. It's illegal to fit a NON-airbag steering wheel to a AUDM ITR, or any AUDM car that came with an air bag from factory.

Yep, thats all good. just checking that all AUDM type R's came out with airbags... thanks vtecmachine

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
140 is nothing.
You have a look at some cabs around the city theyre on 500+ kms... and are still zipping around causing havoc ... AND theyre Holden/Ford engines haha.

So long as the services have been regular i say its fine to go.
Overall build quality on these motors are great.

Q-boorrrrr, that's not a good way at looking at it. Holden and Fords do not Rev to 8500RPM majority of them are driven moderately, are not revved past 3000RPM much as there is plenty of Torque available at low revs. I've had Holden's and they last for ever!

140, is quite a bit for Type R. Especially considering the Japanese generally rebuild / refresh their B18C's / K20A's after around 70,000km's. They are some good ones around, but very hard to find.

FAT VTI
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Q-boorrrrr, that's not a good way at looking at it. Holden and Fords do not Rev to 8500RPM majority of them are driven moderately, are not revved past 3000RPM much as there is plenty of Torque available at low revs. I've had Holden's and they last for ever!

140, is quite a bit for Type R. Especially considering the Japanese generally rebuild / refresh their B18C's / K20A's after around 70,000km's. They are some good ones around, but very hard to find.

Id have to diagree mate,
Holdens build quality is no where near that of japanese made hondas.
Im talking from the years of 90-96.
A well conditioned honda engine can run well past 200,000kms. However, being a dc2r, mainly owned by enthusiast or p platers, the condition is probably going to tell you whether it will last or not.

VTECMACHINE
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Id have to diagree mate,
Holdens build quality is no where near that of japanese made hondas.
Im talking from the years of 90-96.

I agree with you in the fact that Holden's build quality is inferior to Honda or other JDM manufactuers.
But my last post was in regards to Q-balls post about cabs. And Cab companies are not using Holden and Fords between 90-96.

In all seriousness, Holdens and Fords are unbreakable. I flogged my old 92' commy up 200,000km's and it was fine, and my sister 04 commy (company car) up to 100,000kms, and didn't skip a beat. My point was, don't compare a V6 that is usually automatic transmission, that red lines at 6ish K, to a 1.8L, 4 cyl Manual that revs to 8500RPM.

But back on topic. 140,000km's can be alot if the car is not treated properly, and is not well maintained. If it's maintained regulary, and driven like a street car, and not a race car on the street - it should be fine. But get the neccesary checks done.

turbo convert
05-08-2008, 08:46 PM
yeah you all make valid points, i will just check log books and do the proper checks, i guess

FASN8U
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
holden v8's engines and transmissions may be tuff as hell , its just everything else on a holden thats crap quality - electronics , plastic interior after time starter motor , alternator tends to go and it lituraly falls apart . not talkin crap my parents have had them 4 v8's (2 since brand new) commodores since i was born and had all the same problems after about 120kms . cant compare australian made cars to japaneese ones.

id say in ur case if the cars been driven normaly and maintained well you shoudlnt have any major issues , although it is an older car so you expect shit to go wrong especialy if you give it a good caining. in my opinion id go for something abit newer but hey it al comes down to funds i guess . goodluck with ur buy

Q_ball
05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
140 is nothing...

A type r motor is made for thrashing.
So long as its been looked after properly, u can thrash it day in day out without issues.

FASN8U
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
yer 140 aint THAT much , im no expert but 4 cylenders dont take that much of a caining to do they?

VTECMACHINE
06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
140 is nothing...

So long as its been looked after properly, u can thrash it day in day out without issues.

Type R engines aren't made for thrashing constantly. After all it's a street car, "inspired by racing". Doesn't mean shit. All cars are inspired by racing, and all manufacturers say they use race technology in their road cars. It's just that Honda just got the Type R package right. All Honda's are reliable, until you throw a nooby P-plater in them that think a Type is invincable, and the king of the road, and the race track!
End of the day it is a street car, with a road going engine, made to emit low emissions, that looks cool. It can take a pounding... but so can heaps of other non "race cars". How many Type R engines have you seen blow at Wakefield? I've seen way too many for my liking. And majority of the people come back saying... "but but but... it's a Type R. It's a race car!" A stock engine is a stock engine in my books.

yer 140 aint THAT much , im no expert but 4 cylenders dont take that much of a caining to do they?

A 4 cylinder manual, who's power band is between 6000 - 8500rpm do take cainings!

FAT VTI
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
140 is nothing...

lol... maybe a fully re-built b18-c2. I wouldnt back your statement though.

90LAN
07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
u just need common sense mate
usually that works best in all situations
do your research/homework, get the motor tested, get several opinions,
honda motors will last if looked after
u should be more worried about the gear box as they get neglected/abused the most
jdm 98 spec dc2r do have steering wheel air bags

JasonGilholme
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
140k isn't much for any honda engine. I've got makes with 230,000ish on the clock, stil drives hard (once warmed up) with no problems at all. Regular servicing is the key.

Honda engines are tough.

00dc2
08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
my dads 92 LS integra has done 350k km... and only now needs a engine rebuild.

it made 103kW from a 1.8 back in 92

DC2R has a balanced engine blah blah blah... mine has done 145k and i have no problems so far.

turbo convert
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks all for your help, i think i am pretty sorted now!