PDA

View Full Version : Do these king srings looked correct?? ED CRX (pics of setup incluided) and ED vs EG

Dxs
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok,

went to install some king springs on some koni yellows into an ED CRX.
The konis came off an ED so we are confident they are correct..

Now what is of concern is the front King Springs.

Basically we had to compress the crap out of the king springs, and they around 7cm compressed (at least) when with the koni's.

And they didnt slot into the top hat, we had to force them in while uncompressing the spring.

We also had the bottom perch facing downwards.. is this correct? the spring sat better this way (was loose with the perch facing upward).

http://i33.tinypic.com/1zp4qdd.jpg

the front springs are
KHFL-58ASL
the catalogue says they are for EG and are superlows
http://www.recklessmotorsport.com/catalog/Files/kings_master_catalogue.pdf

but then there is info like this saying it is for EF (JDM ED) civic
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Honda/Engines-drive-trains/auction-158382711.htm

my questions basically are..
1) Do king springs not seat properly into the top hat/need force?
2) Do king springs normally need a **** load of compressing before they fit?
3) What is the dif between ED/EF and EG springs?

SiReal
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
In all my experience installing springs into cars, the fronts always need mega compression - some not as much as others but still compression is required.

on my koni spring perch, there should be a little grove that sits flush with the circlip. so that should indicate which direction the spring perch should face (up or down).

CRXer
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
that is a fair bit of preload,they are obviously for an EG,especially when it comes to having to turn the perch upside down.

they do require a bit of seating into the tophat rubber,just because of the retention tabs in there on the rubber,a bit of grease/saliva/whatever usually helps out a bit.

Dems
08-08-2008, 01:47 PM
bump, this is my car and i really want to get these koni's in.
so no one has had to compress there king spring this much?

Dxs
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
on my koni spring perch, there should be a little grove that sits flush with the circlip. so that should indicate which direction the spring perch should face (up or down).

check that out dems

Dems
08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
yep what we thought was upside down is correct, thanks SiReal.
so the one we have assembled is right except for the spring...

SiReal
08-08-2008, 02:47 PM
look, so long as the spring remains captive, it sits on the perch properly and the top of the spring sits snug INSIDE the top hat, it will be fine - from a technical perspective.

just assemble everything, put them on your car and see how they feel.

Just to reiterate again, i had to compress the front springs quite a fair bit to get them to fit onto my front koni shocks. I believe this is normal due to the higher load the spring needs to carry.

CRXer
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
certainly wouldnt be my choice of setup,particularly turning perches upside down as they are now working in tension not in compression like they were designed.

Dems
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
no they are the correct way now, when they where given to me the perches where upside down. because they had been installed before we assumed that was the right way. they have a small groove to sit on the circlip so they are fine as per the pic.

Dxs
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
the OEM units always have their perches facing down as well

but as i say
**** king springs

you might be ok though dems.. seems like such preload is typical (but there has only been feedback from 1 person)

Dems
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM
maybe we just assemble the other one and go do some blockies:p
if they are shit i'll get some better springs, eibach, teins etc

CRXer
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
yes,i think i remember now my oem front perches faced down,but the rear ones faced up,also all my kmac springs on konis perches faced up.

if u want eibachs,im waiting on 2 from the US atm for $150 delivered,got a quote for $280 pickup from eibach australia.

bennjamin
10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
in this example , the front perches face DOWN to allow the spring to sit secure. The rear perch faces UP since it is a simple pressed piece of metal , designed too to hold te spring secure. The fron springs shown look fine, A stock spring is compressed even more than the image shown so this king spring would be suitable for a slight drop