PDA

View Full Version : New tyres for my stock 16" rims

JMSBND
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Just ordered some new tyres for my S2000. I went on a track day last weekend and found out pretty quick the junk that came with my S2000 I bought is not very good. The wheels are totally wrong offset too. I am going back to 16".

I decided to grab a set of 16" OEM wheels and had them painted in 2K satin black. The tyres I decided on are the relativly new Toyo PROXES R1R.

Seems you need a "run flat" tyre fitting machine to get them on, thats how stiff the sidewall is. It even has steel side plies too. Price I thought was great. 205 55 16-$205.00 fitted and 225 50 16-$215.00 fitted.

Can't wait to see how this thing really handles, and no more scrubbing in the front. I kid you not under hard cornering at Sandown on Eibach lowered springs the 215 45 17 scrubbed-thats how wrong the offset is!

Once the wheels are on the car, it will be worthy of some descent photos too!

James.

JMSBND
11-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Well the car is totally different! I got home from having the tyres put on the wheels and started doing the wheel swap and here is what I found..........

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/hondacoupe9s/MY%20HONDA%20S2000/hubringsdestroyed.jpg

These are called "hubcentric rings". What they really are are cheap plastic rings that are used in wheels to get them to fit. I never liked them and now I know why. Imagine the heat these copped on my recent track day, one wheel had no ring left at all and as you can see the rest are distorted to buggery. That will teach me to be lazy and not check over my car before track day. It also explains the horrible shuddering of the brakes. I actually found the left hand front wheelnuts all loose before I left Sandown.

On top of this, the wrong type of wheelnuts were used with the wheels too. This is the second wrong wheel fitment issue my friends and I have had in a fortnight. On his STi, spacers were used on the front to clear the Brembo brakes, to the point where only 2.5 turns were on the wheelnuts before they stopped! And that really SH!TS me because he is happy to spend good money for a job, they were 18" Enkeis. His brakes were shuddering, and the wheel didn't even locate on centre. And this was a "name brand" tyre shop in Oakleigh!

Anyway, lesson learned! The car drives great and I think it looks ok too. In future, I will make sure I go right over the car.......even if it does have a current roadworthy certificate!!!

New wheels and tyres, sooooo much nicer to drive!!!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/hondacoupe9s/MY%20HONDA%20S2000/CIMG0007.jpg

vyets
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
wow @ hub centric rings wtfff they got fkt up LOL. My friend runs them on his car, they are fine they ain't plastic but. I was thinking about spraying my stockies black at one stage but I got over it, they are black enough from the brake dust from the track days lol.
It goes well with the car man :D looks good. Where abouts in melbourne are you from?

ludecrs
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
MCB & tan?!!!!

DUDE.... I hate you.

JMSBND
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey vyets: I am just past Frankston, in Mount Martha how about you?

ludecrs: Hey! I thought we were friends? Would you like a straight swap?............hehe! Your car is a great inspiration I love it. Thanks for all your advice too! The car is rocking good now I love it!

James.

ludecrs
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey vyets: I am just past Frankston, in Mount Martha how about you?

ludecrs: Hey! I thought we were friends? Would you like a straight swap?............hehe! Your car is a great inspiration I love it. Thanks for all your advice too! The car is rocking good now I love it!

James.

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

JMSBND
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Man I just got another sweet deal on some more OEM 16" wheels. Come with 205 55 16 and 225 50 16 Yokohama Advan Neova tyres with 70-80% tread for $650.00 delivered from Adelaide to Melb. Another good set so I can run track day tyres, and day to day rims too. I thought that was a pretty good pickup!

ludecrs
12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Not a bad price given the rubber and condition.

Theres a set of genuine AP2's on Yahoo JP atm for $500 + expenses in getting them here + rubber on top.