PDA

View Full Version : envy the vtec?

tezza88
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
hey guys, just a quick question
i have a dc2, but ive driven the dc2r, and there is a huge difference at the vtec stage, mine crosses over like piss compared to the clear scream of the dc2r, can i change the intake manifold and get that extra gain?
HOW CAN I NVDVTEC?

Riviera
10-08-2008, 08:33 PM
both motors are built differently... maybe B18CR swap??

you running a SRI or CAI atm ??? if not try running one of those
can definatly hear the scream through them lol

tezza88
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
are the blocks the same? because im sure the head is very different.

EKVTIR-T
10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you already nvdvtec

Do you want the sound or an actual power gain?

est1989
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
block is different as well
the whole engine is different.
you cant really get the same scream as a dc2r when you are in vtec.
if you want your vtec a bit louder than just put an intake on it.
not just a pod filter, the whole intake arm and you will hear a significant difference.

tezza88
10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
oh? alrite thanks guys
i will do more research and make use of my pink honda screamer

dsp26
10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
power aside, the difference in camshaft profile alone will significantly change the "scream".

get cams.. as others have said before, no point trying to change your car into a dc2r coz it'll never be one... pick and research combinations of mods for the powerband you want.

CRXer
10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
there really is no significant difference between the 2 motors up till 7000rpm.

the vtir enjoys a slightly better bottom end,the type r makes up the difference by the time 7000rpm is reached.Its after 7000rpm that things go wrong,the vtir slowly fades away,the typer keeps pulling all the way to the top.

if u want to make up some acceleration difference look into the gearbox first.
without gearbox differences, on the street,there is not much difference between the 2 cars,but when u get on the track,the typer motor is in another league.

if u want just vtec scream, get a straight thru style exhaust,how quickly u forget how loud mine is ron,lol.

dsp26
10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
^^yeah true.. good thing you have torque and don't need to rev often.. having to pass me on the freeway/tunnel/next to a wall would scare the living shit out of me when your hi cam kicks in :p

oh just for the record since its relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugK2elN2OfA

blk_shadow
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
what engine is in that CRX?

is there a difference in the VTEC scream between B16A2 and B18C2? I notice on the B18c2 is not as loud but deeper. is this correct?

and the CRX's scream sounded more like B16A's, just want to confirm.

CRXer
10-08-2008, 10:15 PM
yeah,i'll take ya for a good tunnel run one day ron,it does scare the shit outta people,u see brake lights coming on everywhere,lol.

stock b18c2.

blk_shadow
10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
yeah,i'll take ya for a good tunnel run one day ron,it does scare the shit outta people,u see brake lights coming on everywhere,lol.

stock b18c2.

so, that scream is coming from stock intake from b18c2 as well?

CRXer
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
its all out the exhaust man,stock airbox is fitted.

tezza88
10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
well i really onli wanted to have a go at vtec owners, but on a serious note, ive done a good enough suspension wrk to the car, now heading to the power side of things, if i were to upgrade to larger cams and intake manifold, to start, would u guys rekn thats a good start?...any recommendations?

blk_shadow
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
its all out the exhaust man,stock airbox is fitted.

ah, k thx. what exhaust u running?

kazam
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
sorry, not stealing thread, but i assume its similar, but how could u get louder vtec engage in D-series, so far i havbe AEM SRI and its MUUUCH noticably louder, but would extractors make a diffrence? and i thoguht most vtec noise would be relative to under the hood, not exhaust, but it seems im wrong?

CRXer
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
ah, k thx. what exhaust u running?

skunk

dsp26
10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
sorry, not stealing thread, but i assume its similar, but how could u get louder vtec engage in D-series, so far i havbe AEM SRI and its MUUUCH noticably louder, but would extractors make a diffrence? and i thoguht most vtec noise would be relative to under the hood, not exhaust, but it seems im wrong?

your mostly right.. just that in CRXer's case the exhaust system combination (whatever it is) amplified the sound by a huuuuge amount.

i still believe it's mostly a cam profile thing though as it affects airflow harmonics and dynamics inside the engine.

listen to any cammed non-honda motor on youtube... people always say it "sounds like vtec" because its rare for normal daily driven cars to have "race cam profiles" that cause the noise as a result. remember that honda intended the vtec system to allow for daily driving economy as well as race performance with a different profile effective after a certain rpm

heres an example of an sr20 with jwt s4 cams which are designed for 4krpm+. because there is bviously no vtec, such a cam would lose a bit of bottom end unless compression was bumped as the one cam profile applies to the entire rpm range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSLBZEmFjss

aaronng
10-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Or in my car, it sounds like vtec but it is no where near 6000rpm yet. hahahah. plus I can't tell when the crossover occurs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql6e9K1X9k (2nd and 4th runs)

kazam
11-08-2008, 12:15 AM
whats u got dun 2 your car aaron? i remember hearing it leave bens, i was shocked lol thought there was a rexxie around no joke lol best sounding euro ever.

CRXer
11-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Or in my car, it sounds like vtec but it is no where near 6000rpm yet. hahahah. plus I can't tell when the crossover occurs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql6e9K1X9k (2nd and 4th runs)

your comment aaron is prob the only one in these types of thread honda would enjoy to read.

they went to so much trouble to make this mechanical system as smooth & non existant as possible & here all u read about is trying to make it "kick" & "scream".

the B18C2 was when they finally got it right,u hardly know a thing in a stock dc2,the typer was a compromise,since they didnt design the engine from the ground up,so it does kick & scream a little.

now the ivtec's are brilliant,smooth as silk for such a big change to mechanical conditions over a fraction of a second when it operates.

aaronng
11-08-2008, 12:49 AM
whats u got dun 2 your car aaron? i remember hearing it leave bens, i was shocked lol thought there was a rexxie around no joke lol best sounding euro ever.

Yeah Friday special engine with DIY intake = rexy sound. Weird engine. Could have also been the exhaust leak at my header gasket? :p After fixing the leak, now it has an irritating ringing sound when I apply throttle.

aaronng
11-08-2008, 12:51 AM
your comment aaron is prob the only one in these types of thread honda would enjoy to read.

they went to so much trouble to make this mechanical system as smooth & non existant as possible & here all u read about is trying to make it "kick" & "scream".

the B18C2 was when they finally got it right,u hardly know a thing in a stock dc2,the typer was a compromise,since they didnt design the engine from the ground up,so it does kick & scream a little.

now the ivtec's are brilliant,smooth as silk for such a big change to mechanical conditions over a fraction of a second when it operates.
The change in tone and torque comes from the difference in low-cam and high-cam. Put B18C2 cams into a B18C7 and you'll get the same effect.

Yeah, i-VTEC is good. I bet the "vtec fans" will start to cry when Advanced VTEC comes out and there is no crossover. Haha

It is fun to get a high-cam sound at only 4000rpm though.

aowwllan
11-08-2008, 01:16 AM
also the addition of a full exhaust+headers will change the sound of ur car when vtec kicks in, my mate (xtat1k) also owns a dc2, once installing his tri-y and 5 zigen catback with jdm cat, with the help of a plazmaman CAI, at 6000rpm his vtec screams! Compared to when he had it standard with just the xforce axelback

Limbo
11-08-2008, 02:29 PM
if you want vtec kick and roughness get a b16a2 or a b18c7.
The VTIR was designed with less noise and kick.

D series - don't even bother cos your vtec just ain't real vtec (sorry to burst the bubble)

aimre
11-08-2008, 03:02 PM
screamer pipe > vtec

Limbo
11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
screamer pipe > vtec

screamer pipe = defect

kazam
11-08-2008, 04:30 PM
defects > vtec :p

my d-series crossover is relatively loud... like obviously nothing compared 2 DOHC but Benn had a fun run in my car and I think he will tell u it sounds alryt

tezza88
11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
the loud crossover is slightly addictive, but in the end, im just looking for abit more response. atm, im running 4-1 headers, highflow cat+ 2.36inch custom back, which gives a nice rexy sound..(SWEAR!!!) but the response still not what im looking for. intake is the next step? if so, im considering skunk2 manifold + sri (with heat shielded of course)

aaronng
11-08-2008, 09:27 PM
4-2-1 headers for response I reckon. 4-1 more for top end.

hai
11-08-2008, 11:24 PM
go for proper intake system or diy! ftw

PIPE + POD + ALUMINIUM SHEETS DIY BOX FTW!

++CROSSOVER ++

fullthroal untill pass 6rpm on the dash till red line each time ;

basic knowledge of envying the vtec..

b18c-vtir
b18c7-typer

there power wise diffrence, but im sure the crossover are almost same,

depending which type of intake

SRI - short ram intake
CAI - cold air intake

CAI FTW! get more of the cold air for the deeper sound in the vtec

Elwood
11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Its still a 1.8 litre block - but obviously the Type R has high comp pistons etc.

Main differences are in the head.

CRXer
12-08-2008, 12:07 AM
b18c-vtir
b18c7-typer

there power wise diffrence, but im sure the crossover are almost same,

Xover points are way different man,your hearing the intake runners change over at 5750rpm in the VTiR.

NightKids
12-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Heard the B16A has a real aggressive Xover

dsp26
12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Heard the B16A has a real aggressive Xover

yeah 'feels' it coz the low cam + lower displacement is so gutless

aowwllan
12-08-2008, 01:58 AM

good for turbo. :p

i rekon with ITR or CTR internals it will run like a beauty :thumbsup:

or go buddyclub spec 3+ rofl

dsp26
12-08-2008, 02:15 AM
good for turbo. :p

i rekon with ITR or CTR internals it will run like a beauty :thumbsup:

or go buddyclub spec 3+ rofl

hope your right about the bc3+ coz their the exact ones i'm getting put in now. midrange cams on a b16.. now why would any1 do that? :p

aowwllan
12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
hope your right about the bc3+ coz their the exact ones i'm getting put in now. midrange cams on a b16.. now why would any1 do that? :p

hahahah me to! hi5! still gotta source out my ctr pistons/rings etc

let me know how they go

Limbo
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM

mine doesn't seem gutless ;)

dsp26
12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
mine doesn't seem gutless ;)

yah.. kinda made me wish i went turbo or jackson racing instead... just tallied up my NA engine work to be around $3k minus tuning

Limbo
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
man not far off a turbo kit

aowwllan
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Gt28r

tezza88
13-08-2008, 12:19 PM
alrite, so now im getting around to what i should be doing..
looks like i want to be changin the cams now, any recommendations? and reasons behind it, higher comp pistons are a must for the future, so again, would ITR suffice, not looking for ENORMOUS gains, just a base for further development, like future turboing?...keeping the window open yo.

Limbo
13-08-2008, 01:08 PM
if your gonna turbo stay OEM and save your money on turbo parts

schuebyTeG
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
hey guys.
Um im still looking 4 an answer. it was getting close at the start but no clean answer.

I had a pretty stock 93 VTiR(b18c2) just with a 2.25 Rein Hard exhaust with hiflow cat. Had stock intake btw. Now my VTEC noice was awsome. at about 4.3k or so RPM i could hear the beginning of the change and then at about 4.6 i had a clean change. A scream kinda like an elite fighter hornet xD!!!

That car is since gorn. However i still have the exhaust.

I drove a stock 97, i felt it after the 4.6k or so but big dissapoint went with no real noise change.

Sounded 2 me just like another other engine reving hi...

Some ppl say its the actural cams, some say intake is a big part of it and obviously the exhaust.

Im just scared as hell ill get another teg, stick on my system and it not the same...
(sorry 4 long story :) )
plz some insight :D cheers

beeza
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I vtec'd infront of my girlfriend two days ago

I just had to drop that :)

schuebyTeG
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I vtec'd infront of my girlfriend two days ago

I agree. i loled and smiled xD

^ *read 2 posts up*:P ^

uniorj
04-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I just had to drop that :)

What did that have to do with anything?

RtN
05-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Here's mine with windows up (forgot), stock everything except Injen CAI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gmA_Barrw

beeza
05-09-2008, 10:09 AM
What did that have to do with anything?

haha,ya found it.I couldn't use it in my sig and I thought it sounded hell funny,so I had to use it :p

Oh,plus I 'envy the Vtec'!

tezza88
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
lol thanks guys, but with changing the cams, it wont do much unless u change ur camshafts too isnt it? not too sure, so correct me there
and wats after that, do i hafta do retainers, valvesprings and all that little stuff too? quite honestly, dont even know wat its connected to.

RtN
05-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Umm I think.. cams = camshafts lol and i'm not too sure on this but retainers valvesprings etc need only to be changed if you're gonna be running high power cams.. like type C or stage 3 or some sort.. correct me if im wrong haha. But there might be some things that need to be changed, just not sure what.

VTECMACHINE
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.stereoface.com/csstests/hover/a/20020202-07s.jpg

94dc2tegz
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
just "lol"

schuebyTeG
06-09-2008, 01:04 AM
any1 ? will my exhaust from my 93 make a 97 sounds the same ?

94dc2tegz
06-09-2008, 05:11 AM
any1 ? will my exhaust from my 93 make a 97 sounds the same ?

if you want noise just take off your airbox lid and go out and hit vtec. you'll realise that it's all being baffled by your stock intake and might convince you to invest in a proper intake to compliment your exhaust - think about it. it's like a bottle neck, why bother with the exit gases if u don't care enough about the entry gases (intake of fresh air and more of it).

anyway, an exhaust system is a system as most ppl don't realise and it must be complete to really work. and it's only as strong as it's weakest link

AAAAAANYway, as to why ur 93 made that noise either way? probably had a hole somewhere LOL

a dc2 teg is a dc2 teg. no reason y 1 should do something and a new model doesn't. just doesn't make sense.

TheSaint
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
intake makes more effect on VTEC noise than exhaust does

i ran stock exhaust on my DC2 with a Fujita CAI system and it sounded awsome =)

RtN
06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
But exhaust will add onto the contribution of the intake right? lol

TheSaint
07-09-2008, 12:23 AM
straight vtec and induction roar is better than exhaust note on hondas i rekon

best exhaust is mugen and even than it doesnt really add too much sound, to many hondas with modded exhaust have that stupid buzzing sound imo

good set of headers and a type-r or mugen exhaust are good, but paying top dollar on a good induction system for vtec roar is the best way to go from personal experience with many cars

fujita or injen CAI into a ITR intake manifold = vtec roar

or ITB if ur wallet is fat lol

VTECMACHINE
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Intake noise is crap! Exhaust note FTW.

tezza88
07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
make ur own custom box, make sure it keeps all hot air out, good material, save urself a good 500bux+
bolt ons = rip offs
mine screams fine :D