PDA

View Full Version : Nsr pgm-iv(4) mc28

ahmondjai
11-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Just wondering how many of them are around oz, does your friend or yourself has one?

Feverpitched
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I personally know of 2 MC28's going around Victoria. They're rare but can still be found, for an exaggerated premium.

lam.666
11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
i had one, sold it and got myself a mc21, my friend has a mc28

not worth the trouble of getting the 28 as its alot harder to derestrict than the 21.

21sp is top choice imo, you get over the look of the single sided swingarm and the novelty of the card

rare to see any 250 2 stroke sports bike on the road nowadays as well, except for scooters

laijer
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
My mate has an MC28SE. They are a bit more expensive to buy and derestrict than the MC21... That's why I got an MC21SP (Pentax Racing colours): http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/Jezza_NSR/Motorcycles/Marysville%20ride%2012_06_2005/?action=view&current=2x_MC21__MC28_small.jpg

lam.666
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
nice laijer, did you purchase your bike like that or did you get the rear fairing and chambers from japan?

you guys got it good in melb though, are the nsr250s still rideable on your L's?

laijer
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi lam,

Nope, NSR250's are no longer Learner Legal in VIC since they implemented the LAMS list.

My bike came with a stock rear but it was a bit damaged, so I bought a used (almost new) Tyga GP500 tail off my mate, the guy with the Repsol replica in the photo, as he had just upgraded his tail to the GP Race tail. I've since sold that tail to my other mate, the guy with the MC28 in the photo - as he'd stacked his MC28 and smashed up his tail. I upgraded mine to a GP Race tail too. Now all I need is new uppers and lowers and full repaint in Rothmans to complete my parts list.

The chambers are actually stock with fake CF stickers on the end cans (I bought the bike like that). I got a whole new Tyga GP stainless steel system to replace the stock ones, but have been too lazy (and also banned by the wife) to put my bike back together since the top end rebuild.

Do you have a pic of your MC21? Which model is it: R/SE/SP?

There's a few NSRs zooming around Melb in summer and a heap load of RGVs and RS250's.

I'm a bit of a 2T 250 proddy racer fanboy :p

Cheers,
Jerry

lam.666
12-08-2008, 08:07 AM
i have a rothmans SP, the fairings are abit damaged by the previous owner but they did a good job repairing it, not that bodgy once its altogether and mainly the insides that have been repaired.

the bike came with a R motor and wet clutch, but i have the SP motor with the dry clutch sitting in the shed, needs a new cyclinder and piston. thinking of rebuilding it with the 300cc and sell off the good cyclinder and piston. hopefully the crank and transmission is still ok, need to get it looked at. just dont have $$ atm to spend on the bike.

chambers look the goods tho, cant afford a set myself, but my cousin has some damage ones i might take to a blacksmith to see if they can repair it if possible.

this is what my bike looked like in the ad, didnt differ much when it got transported up here (came from MELB!), but it did have its suspension rebuilt which is good.

http://micra.com.au/images/community/forums/34825.jpg

currently i've stripped the fairings and been riding around with none since my old carb was flooding and would kill my sparkplugs, got a new carb which has been cleaned but not tuned yet so it does have a few flat spots, just not bothered to put the fairings back on.

yeah i guess its just the colder months, but their not as common up here as they are in melb.

only problem with 2T is the smell, not for me but everyone else i dont even notice it anymore till i get home. it smells... sweet to me, guess the missus doesnt see it my way.

laijer
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
That looks sweet dude! The Rothmans paintwork is by far my favourite :thumbsup:

A 300 kit would be awesome, that would set you back about a $1k or more though, but you'd need a free flowing exhaust system to compliment that.

How badly damaged is the cylinder? Can it be replated?

lam.666
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
got really bad scoring, and the head is rooted should post some pics up later

yeah but for the price of a new cyclinder, its worth it https://www.slipstreamperformance.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=4_51_164&products_id=1368

dont really trust 2nd hand and the ppl who have them want top price for it, might as well get the extra 50cc while im at it too

just gotta save up, need new sprokets, chain and rear tyre now too

did you do the rebuild yourself?

laijer
12-08-2008, 12:56 PM
That sux - cylinders are mega expensive!

The guy that owns the Repsol replica in the photo rebuilt it for me - he knows his NSR shit. I just had to remove the engine out of the frame for him.

lam.666
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
yeah thats what makes the 300cc so much more better, but your right about the chambers need to get them sorted, but i think a guy in NZ is running the stock but modified chambers, then gotta jet and tune, stickier tyres, braided lines... the list can go on and on and on

thats lucky, i need some motor rebuilding skillz, but i guess NSRworld.com is a pretty good resource i think they have a guide on a top end rebuild which is basically what you're doing.

i think it was your mate that was selling the rs250 usd nsr a while back yeah?

laijer
12-08-2008, 02:33 PM
yeah thats what makes the 300cc so much more better, but your right about the chambers need to get them sorted, but i think a guy in NZ is running the stock but modified chambers, then gotta jet and tune, stickier tyres, braided lines... the list can go on and on and on?The stock exhaust is very restrictive and heavy. My whole Tyga exhaust systems weighs less than one stock chamber.

haha, I think we have the same list :D

thats lucky, i need some motor rebuilding skillz, but i guess NSRworld.com is a pretty good resource i think they have a guide on a top end rebuild which is basically what you're doing.Yeah NSRWorld.com is a great source of info. The best I could do was take the engine out and remove the cylinders. I wasn't confident to do the whole rebuild.

i think it was your mate that was selling the rs250 usd nsr a while back yeah?Who Karl? He had an MC21 with RS250 engine and USD forks... maybe yes. He sold that to B Components for $3K including a rebuilt SP engine that hadn't been turned yet - a bargain I reckon. I would have bought it off him if I had the cash, just the USD forks and engine alone is worth more than $4k.

Feverpitched
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Rebuilt, unturned SP engine you say...

I think I know exactly where that engine is right now :)

lam.666
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
got into bikes again so i dont have to modify em, and upgrades are already being planned. wish i just bought a vtr250 for the commute to work, would of save me some fuel money too, averaging 150kms on 12 litres, but i guess im throttle happy though

yeah his name was karl

bloody hell! I had the money after he sold it, spewing spewing!

man i so wish you didnt tell me that, if i could kick myself i would!

i'll post pics of my bike later, its really dirty at the moment with no fairings but then again maybe not, its not worth it haha

panda[cRx]
13-08-2008, 10:43 AM
used to have an mc21se with dry clutch. sold it to some dude in WA when i lost my licence on it, damn i miss it :(

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1682/nsrnight019re.jpg

lam.666
13-08-2008, 02:27 PM
get another one, doubt you'll find one in that condition with repsol colours
but ur in melb, so it shouldnt be too hard!

panda[cRx]
13-08-2008, 05:52 PM
that was a custom paint and sticker job by the guy i bought it from. back then repsols were all orange white and green rather than the black we have now

laijer
13-08-2008, 05:54 PM
;1847014']that was a custom paint and sticker job by the guy i bought it from. back then repsols were all orange white and green rather than the black we have now
Yeah, the Doohan replica paintwork is pretty sweet too :thumbsup:

lam.666
14-08-2008, 07:47 AM
didnt even notice it was black, still looks the goods though, i like daijiro's (RIP) movistar paint that was nice

havent seen a doohan replica before, but this one has to be my favourity colour

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/guestbikes/zoltan.html

no joke either

laijer
14-08-2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/96_250SP_repsol_tn.jpg
Honda painted the 1996/98 MC28SP in Doohan's NSR500 HRC Repsol colours when he was king of GP racing. The current HRC Repsol colours use black instead of green.

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/92_rothmans_SP_tn.jpghttp://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/91_pentax_250SP_tn.jpghttp://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/95_250SPtn.jpghttp://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/94_250SEbluetn.jpghttp://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/general/90_NSR_SP_tn.jpg
Some of my favourite NSR colour schemes... there's not many I don't like :p

Jomsy
14-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I had a mc28 rothmans SP, brought just about every HRC part for it, ive regretted selling it everyday since, if i find the guy i sold it to im buying it back. but that was the best part of 4 years ago now

ahmondjai
19-08-2008, 12:18 AM
damn, now I miss my SP PGM-IV, it was a 95 red tri-color SP, got it stolen 2 and something years ago........

lam.666
22-08-2008, 06:24 PM
nice colours jerry, i would really like my bike in the 95sp colours but for the moment the rothmans does me fine

if your planning to rebuild would you be interested in a group buy on the denso plugs so you can plug chop. going to see if i can organise one on nsr250.net for the aussies, in america the plugs are $1.75US each, beats $10+ on the ngk br9ecms here

laijer
22-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Damn that's cheap for plugs!! How do the Denso plugs stack up aginst the NGK? If they are as good, Hell Yeah, I'd be interested!

lam.666
22-08-2008, 10:21 PM
well the ngks are iridiums thats why their alot more expensive, they've been used on the forum and their recommended by honda as an alternative so they cant be bad. just not iridium though but i reckon they should last a while if ur bikes setup nice with the tune.

especially when your running it in and just tuning the carbs, dont want to be be plug chopping on $10+ plugs and throwing them away

so if ur down i'll put a post on nsr250 hopefully we can get a few ppl into it, i'd be down for about 20 just for myself, just gotta work out shipping and what not depending on how many we get. should be viable, i got some crapped up BR9ECMs so i'll try and get a weight on those and check usps.com for shipping prices from the US.

laijer
22-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Sweet, although it will be a while before my bike is back together in one piece, you can put me down for 20 as well. You wouldn't happen to know where I can get some cheap main jets from do you? I've only got the stock 128s and it will be too lean once the pipes go on. The jet sizes in the HRC MC21 jet kit are just way too big for my road use.

lam.666
22-08-2008, 10:57 PM
best place for main jets i reckon would be from www.slipstreamperformance.com.au, you can use the MJ's from the MC28 carb they fit as well as i had to use one to get me outta a tough spot.

i remember the last time i looked mc28s had MJ's as low as 140, they didnt have much variety for the mc21 carb.

their websites not working at the moment so they might be updating something, but their cheaper compared to bcomponents, cant remember how cheap though

laijer
22-08-2008, 11:31 PM
They have 140 mains for around $6 ... not bad. I'll keep them in mind when the time comes around to put it all back together.

lam.666
26-08-2008, 07:02 AM
yeah bargain! think i'll keep my bike stock for the moment, just got some nails taken out and plugged back up, until i can afford a rear tyre, gotta change sprockets and chain, bloody list goes on.

you'll love the sound of the chambers once you put them on, heaps louder than stock, my 28 used to scream, my brother could hear me a block away

good thing that their loud though, cars can hear you more better when this motorcycle that sounds like a lawn mower pulls up

SCRMR
07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
My mate has an MC28SE. They are a bit more expensive to buy and derestrict than the MC21... That's why I got an MC21SP (Pentax Racing colours): http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/Jezza_NSR/Motorcycles/Marysville%20ride%2012_06_2005/?action=view&current=2x_MC21__MC28_small.jpg

hey, thats a nice mc28, i've got one just like it!

how ya going Jezza?

laijer
11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
lol, hey bro - long time no see. Is she all back together now?
Bryan rebuilt my engine, but its still not back inside the frame... I'm too lazy to clean it and chuck it back in.