PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Rain Sensor Wipers - Windscreen

Gavern
12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Guys,

Looks around but couldn't find an exact answer to my query, so hopefully someone can look at their windscreen for me.... before I go bald..!!

Picked up my 06 Euro Lux (for $23k no less) 2 weeks back and am pulling my hair out over the Rain Sensor. My wife's 08 Std Euro has the regular intermittent wipers, so I am fully aware at how they work and think I know how the auto wipers SHOULD work, but for the life of me, the wipers in my luxury Euro run just like the standard wipers - even on a dry day and the sensitivity on max, they simply run intermittently.

What i have discovered is:
1) Yes, the sensor exists behind the mirror
2) Windscreen *may* have been replaced - wife's Euro windscreen has a HONDA stamp on it. My luxury Euro has no HONDA stamp.
3) The windscreen looks physically identical to the std Euro.
4) No holes/gommets/seals/gaskets etc in way of the sensor (Don't even know what to expect??)
5) Not checked any fuses yet.

Can anyone tell me if there is any actual/physical difference between the two..?
I feel as though the screen has been replaced and not with one suitable for rain sensing wipers.

Last resort would be fo me to drop by a dealer to physically check out a Luxury model to be sure.

Am I simply missing something... or are my assumptions correct in leading me to think it has had an incorrect replacement windscreen fitted..?

Cheers,
Gavern

aaronng
12-08-2008, 03:09 PM
What is your wiper speed set to? I, II or INT? There should be an AUTO setting.

Gavern
12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
What is your wiper speed set to? I, II or INT? There should be an AUTO setting.

Thanks for the prompt reply... you behind a PC at work too?... :p

Yep, there is the AUTO. (INT on the Std)

I set the wipers to AUTO and it seems to works as if it is a Std Euro.
When set to AUTO in the dry at MAX sensitivity, it operates just like a std Euro.....even with sensitivity set to minimum, the wipers refuse to operate under a HEAVY downpour until a set time.... similar to that of the std euro.... something like 20 seconds..??

Was expecting than when set to AUTO and intermittent showers, the wipers would switch on automatically. But no. They simply run intermittently at regular intervals depending on the sensitivity I choose... as if it is a std intermittent wipers.

aaronng
12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply... you behind a PC at work too?... :p

Yep, there is the AUTO. (INT on the Std)

I set the wipers to AUTO and it seems to works as if it is a Std Euro.
When set to AUTO in the dry at MAX sensitivity, it operates just like a std Euro.....even with sensitivity set to minimum, the wipers refuse to operate under a HEAVY downpour until a set time.... similar to that of the std euro.... something like 20 seconds..??

Was expecting than when set to AUTO and intermittent showers, the wipers would switch on automatically. But no. They simply run intermittently at regular intervals depending on the sensitivity I choose... as if it is a std intermittent wipers.
I do have a PC at work, but my work does not involve the PC, much. :p

Let me get this clearly, so if you set it to AUTO, with wipers in minimum sensitivity, do the wipers still work in the dry even after 20 seconds?

Check if the sensor is blocked by that black part of the windscreen which the reverse mirror is stuck on to.

Crapdaz
12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
so your saying whether you change the scroll to + or - it still stays at normal intermittent?
if that's so then there must be something wrong with your sensor.
If the glass was changed/replaced do you still have the unit attached to the glass?
and does it have the dotted laminate just above the rear vision mirror

If it's not raining the intermittent setting wipers never goes on.

Gavern
12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Let me get this clearly, so if you set it to AUTO, with wipers in minimum sensitivity, do the wipers still work in the dry even after 20 seconds?

YEP....wipers will wipe after X amount of seconds, depending on the + or -sensitivity. Even when dry.

Check if the sensor is blocked by that black part of the windscreen which the reverse mirror is stuck on to.

That's what I'm thinking - The sensor itself: is it simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen..?
Is there a supposed to be a hole in the screen that the sensor is through..?

so your saying whether you change the scroll to + or - it still stays at normal intermittent?.
YEP...... seemingly always on normal intermittent.
@MIN wipes around 20sec apart.
@MAX wipes around 4 sec apart.
Raining or not.

if that's so then there must be something wrong with your sensor.
If the glass was changed/replaced do you still have the unit attached to the glass?
and does it have the dotted laminate just above the rear vision mirror
Has all the black dots.. or so I recall. The sensor is attached to the windscreen.

If it's not raining the intermittent setting wipers never goes on.
That's what making me wonder if the screen has been replaced with the wrong screen. The wipers run with Auto set... there seems to be no auto sensing, but just an intermittent setting.

Can the sensor be moved to different parts of the screen...?
Maybe it is in the wrong spot...?
Is the sensor an optical sensor or liquid sensor..??
Are the screens for the Luxy & Std the same..??

aaronng
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
That's what I'm thinking - The sensor itself: is it simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen..?
Is there a supposed to be a hole in the screen that the sensor is through..?

Yes, the sensor is simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen. HOWEVER, if you look at the part where the sensor is stuck on, it should be solid black coating except for a circular part which is transparent glass. That transparent circle is where the sensor is meant to be stuck on to. Base model windscreens don't have that transparent circle and could be the cause of your problem (replacement windscreen was a base model windscreen, not lux model). If that is the case, I pray that you bought from a dealer as the factory warranty won't cover a "mistake" of this type.

tony1234
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I had this exact same problem approx.4 mths.ago.The module that reads the signals from the sensor attached to the windscreen and then sends a signal to the wipers to tell it how many times/how often to wipe needs to be replaced.Its mounted somewhere under the dash.had it replaced under warranty.go to service dept.Yours is 06 so it's covered.

Gavern
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Cheers All....

At least that clears up my concerns with regards to having a penetration in the windshield. First this this arvo when I get back to the car is to check if the screen has a clear patch in way of the sensor.

If no clear glass then wrong screen has been installed. No avenue out for that one except wait til the screen breaks - not that I have EVER had that happen in 20 years of driving..!!!

If the glass is clear in way of the sensor then looks like I can get a repair via warranty.

Either way, I know I did quite well in paying only $23k for an 06 Lux Euro with 6 months rego and warranty remaining.... plus the towball, mats and tinting..!

Speaking of warranty......I have a question on that. But will add to another thread so it won't get lost in here...

Cheers,
Gavern

Eurotony
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
If your windscreen has been replaced it is possible that the sensor in the aftermarket screen has failed. A collegue had thier windscreen replaced by O'Brien Windscreens & had the same fault. O'Brien's replaced the aftermarket screen with a genuine Honda screen at no extra charge due to the batch of faulty screens with the sensor's that don't work.

Gavern
12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Hmmm... may be worth dropping into O'Briens to see if they know anything of the problem. Not that I can expect anything - the screen would have been replaced by the previous owner.

Having said that... I am still assuming that the screen has in fact been replaced - I only do so as the screen printed stamp on the windscreen doesn't say HONDA.... like my wife's std Euro screen does.

Eurotony
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Having said that... I am still assuming that the screen has in fact been replaced - I only do so as the screen printed stamp on the windscreen doesn't say HONDA.... like my wife's std Euro screen does.
I think that it is safe to say that if the screen does not have Honda on it, it's been replaced.

The X Man
13-08-2008, 08:47 PM
The rain sensor on the windscreen bounces infrared beams all over the windscreen and if a deflection becomes erratic or non existing it operates the wipers. In addition to speed, the more beams that are not deflected the faster the wipers operate. So yes, all needs to be perfect before the rain sensing wipers will function correctly.

slknv
13-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I've had my 06 lux about 2 weeks now, and given the amount of rain in melbourne I've had the wipers on quite a bit - I also noticed my "auto sensing" wipers not really sensing much at all! Pretty much like others noted, it works more or less like a regular intermittent setting.

I had a free afternoon today and dropped by the Honda dealer service area, they said the sensing only works when you're driving, and to use the dial adjustment on the wiper arm to get the right level of sensitivity. Went for a little drive after, and still not real good.

Dry weather, no matter what sensitivity was dialled in, the wipers would come on with either 3s gap or about 12 second gap, no real "sensing" going on here.

Windscreen is original Honda, sensor's in the right position, so I'm not real sure what to do. It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but now I know it's not quite right, it's annoying :(

Tim

Crapdaz
13-08-2008, 11:14 PM
yup, you need to be at least rolling.

and plus did you try it with the + and - scroll?

I've had it on during the day without rain and it's never gone on until some droplet lands on the windscreen from the tunnel air ducting.

I-S
14-08-2008, 02:25 AM
I had this exact same problem approx.4 mths.ago.The module that reads the signals from the sensor attached to the windscreen and then sends a signal to the wipers to tell it how many times/how often to wipe needs to be replaced.Its mounted somewhere under the dash.had it replaced under warranty.go to service dept.Yours is 06 so it's covered.

Interesting... any more info on this? My 03 CM1 (CL7 wagon) is suffering this problem, and the screen appears to be right. Any DIY fixes?

tony1234
14-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Interesting... any more info on this? My 03 CM1 (CL7 wagon) is suffering this problem, and the screen appears to be right. Any DIY fixes?
Got it fixed under warranty.No DIY as far as i know.:(

I-S
14-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Ok... Any idea on the location of the unit at all? Thanks for help so far...

tony1234
14-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok... Any idea on the location of the unit at all? Thanks for help so far...
As i said before got it fixed under warranty so therefore i didn't ask where the module is located or what it looks like..........sorry.

Spanky
25-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Have a similar problem... wipers act as if they have std firmware installed ie put them in Auto mode and depending on the sensitivity setting just sets the delay time. ie if I set it least sensitive they wipe consistently every 10 seconds, faster with more sensitivity setting. Have taken it back to dealer a few times now, still playing the 'waiting for the Techs' line. Getting annoyed with this as it was like this from new (just done 20k)

I-S
15-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Just thought I'd update as I've managed to fix this, quite by accident.

I changed the battery. They started working.

I don't think it's down to the battery per se, but rather just having it disconnected for a few minutes and everything resetting. Since then (a week ago) they've worked without issues.

Worth a try if you have the problem, as described by spanky - act as a regular intermittent.

Accord Basic
15-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Just thought I'd update as I've managed to fix this, quite by accident.

I changed the battery. They started working.

I don't think it's down to the battery per se, but rather just having it disconnected for a few minutes and everything resetting. Since then (a week ago) they've worked without issues.

Worth a try if you have the problem, as described by spanky - act as a regular intermittent.

Mine works OK, just about a second delay of the actual wipers do the action. I was driving (rainning day) on Freeway about 90km/h and cross under a brigde. the wipper was stopped after crossed the bridge. It got delay for starting, changing speed and stopping the wippers. but I always use the AUTO mode when rainning. it will change the speed automatic, just loving it. I set the sensor level just one level down from middle. working fine. I try to use different level, no good. either can't start or keep working at constant speed. Try play around with the sensor level adjustment when you are driving in a rainning day.

power_of_dreams
15-10-2008, 06:45 PM
If I wanted the automatic wipers on a standard I would have to upgarde the rear view mirror (to the lux). However, is it necessary to have the windscreen changed to have the transparent part that aaron was talking about?

As far as wiring, how would it be acheived?

Spanky
17-10-2008, 06:11 PM
My saga continued.... The system consistes of a rain sensor, a conversion board and then the control board. I organised them to look at this (I wasn't happy to wait until the next service a few thousand k's away) and they changed the conversion board as they had one in stock. This made no difference! But... they knocked the control board and it worked??? As there wasn't one in stock they ordered one from Japan. Last week it arrived and I took the car back to have it fitted. Later in the day I was told it hadn't worked and they wanted to keep the car until it was sorted out for good. I got a replacement. A couple of days later they determined it had to be the rain sensor and were replacing the windscreen as it is bonded on. I got the car back this week and the auto wipers are working perfectly!! I have left it in auto ever since.. as well as testing it at different sensitivities and manual sprays etc. I am very happy and appreciative to Berwick Honda for persevering and fixing this problem. Thanx.
Still trying to work out how knocking the control board made it work a bit though?? I'm a tech...

-Spanky.

Accord Basic
15-11-2008, 10:25 AM
anyone know if i put a long sticker on the windscreen, will it block the rain sensor? thanks

ope126
15-11-2008, 02:38 PM
anyone know if i put a long sticker on the windscreen, will it block the rain sensor? thanks

I would say Yes if the sticker was to be physically over the Rain Sensors, Sensor.
Maybe you could test this by putting a similar sticker just over the sensor, then add water and see if the Rain Sensor still works. If it doesn't, you know you can not put the long sticker on permanatley, unless you no longer wish to use the Rain Sensor.

Glenn

SteveS
19-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi all

I read a few messages in this forum in regards to the rain sensor problem. I have recently had my windscreen replaced, and the rain sensor stopped working. I took it back to have a new sensor patch installed, and the same problem, still not working. I rang my local Honda dealer, who said they have seen this before, and the windscreen has to be a genuine Honda screen.

Has anybody had a non genuine windscreen installed, and still get their rain sensor to function properly ? Previous posts mentioned disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to reset the system, as well as something about another part located under the dash board.

If you've got your rain sensor to work with a non genuine windscreen, or have tried some of the above with no luck, I'd appreciate the feedback.

thanks
Steve

thomas676
19-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I had a 03 Euro Luxury that I replaced the windscreen in.
I used a Windscreens O'Brien screen as it cost $480 fitted and I was quoted over $1000 for a Honda screen.
The new screen had the rain sensor installed that did work but not as well as the original screen.It would not start in light rain and did not change speed as quickly when the rain increased or the speed of the car changed as the Honda sensor had.
I purchased a new cu2 three weeks ago and since then the difference in the screens has been so marked.
My new 2008 luxury works just like the 2003 model did.
The wipers think for you and react as you think they should.The replacement screen did not and thats the difference that you pay for.

Psy
25-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok guys i have a crack in my windscreen and O'Brien quoted me $755, seems a bit excessive to 5 months to the last post.

This is ridiculous, AAMI never offered me the extra protection plan and i didn't crack it or anything, it just cracked.

Which O'Brien did you speak to and who did you speak to? Hoping i can get a cheaper price, no way i'm paying $755. I know the whole financial crisis and all, but this boost in price is bullshit.

revivor
28-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok guys i have a crack in my windscreen and O'Brien quoted me $755, seems a bit excessive to 5 months to the last post.

This is ridiculous, AAMI never offered me the extra protection plan and i didn't crack it or anything, it just cracked.

Which O'Brien did you speak to and who did you speak to? Hoping i can get a cheaper price, no way i'm paying $755. I know the whole financial crisis and all, but this boost in price is bullshit.

mate, i replaced my screen about 4mths ago. My insurance had free windscreen cover..they (o brien) did quote me $520 but at the end didn't pay anything (insurance covers till $500) ;)
The sensors worked like they used to..no diff...only issue was now i have wind noise at low speed :|

Ken-f
29-05-2009, 12:01 AM

On my AAMI bill it offers it right at the bottom. Its like $10 extra.

tony1234
29-05-2009, 07:16 AM
On my AAMI bill it offers it right at the bottom. Its like $10 extra.
Yeah,me too.it's at the bottom of the bill listed with hire car option.

Psy
30-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Ahh well, maybe i was blind, i never saw it.

Anyways today i have to ring around, Honda has already quoted $1000 not inc installation so they can get fked.

BTW, rang a few places and they said they can do it for around $350-$400 but it's a windscreen with the builtin rain sensor, so they have to grab the rain sensor from my old one and attach it to the new screen, will this be the same thing?

Anyone deal with http://www.totalwindscreens.com.au/

They quoted me $420 but they will take my rain sensor and switch it over. Campsie Auto Glass quoted $350 but they couldn't guarantee the rain sensing would work, but Total guaranteed it and gives lifetime guarantee.

rayd
24-10-2009, 04:59 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread, but i also am having this exact problem, and i wasnt even aware that the car had this feature... but now i want it working.

can anyone tell me where the "honda" label is usually on the lux euro's windscreen, i cant seem to find it...

on my windscreen there is currently that inverted triangle box thing, rego sticker (top left) and etag (above rear view mirror)

Xplodin
24-10-2009, 06:01 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread, but i also am having this exact problem, and i wasnt even aware that the car had this feature... but now i want it working.

can anyone tell me where the "honda" label is usually on the lux euro's windscreen, i cant seem to find it...

on my windscreen there is currently that inverted triangle box thing, rego sticker (top left) and etag (above rear view mirror)
Its not a Honda logo... It just says honda....

Bottom passenger side on the windscreen.

rayd
24-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Its not a Honda logo... It just says honda....

Bottom passenger side on the windscreen.

hrrm mine says: "XYG" and to the left of the X has a small flame logo.... im guessing its not OEM.... and thats why it isn't working....?

Xplodin
24-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah it sounds like its not OEM... Dont even bother asking how much OEM costs... Its like almost 1k and thats not including fitting.

It could be why its not working. I know that the sensor has to sit on a ceramic plate which is that black stuff at the top of the windscreen. If its not sitting on that then its pretty much an expensive paperweight. I'd get the windscreen changed over. Obrian's do OEM as well as their own brand of screens. And it even has a spot of the sensor too. Just let them know that you have a lux with rain sensing wipers. should be about 500 - 700 installed.

rayd
24-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah it sounds like its not OEM... Dont even bother asking how much OEM costs... Its like almost 1k and thats not including fitting.

It could be why its not working. I know that the sensor has to sit on a ceramic plate which is that black stuff at the top of the windscreen. If its not sitting on that then its pretty much an expensive paperweight. I'd get the windscreen changed over. Obrian's do OEM as well as their own brand of screens. And it even has a spot of the sensor too. Just let them know that you have a lux with rain sensing wipers. should be about 500 - 700 installed.

i have windscreen cover with AAMI - plus there is a chip in my windscreen... perhaps time to make a claim ? :P

Xplodin
24-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I think so too. If your going through them get OEM... Thats always better....IMO

Euro1011
24-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

Due to recent hail storm in Perth, my windscreen now cracked in a few places. I have organised for a replacement but need to check whether the 2004 Accord Euro Standard has a rain sensor (wiper or light) on the original windscreen. Sorry but i have never taken notice of this.

HunterZero
24-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi All,

Due to recent hail storm in Perth, my windscreen now cracked in a few places. I have organised for a replacement but need to check whether the 2004 Accord Euro Standard has a rain sensor (wiper or light) on the original windscreen. Sorry but i have never taken notice of this.

That's no good.

Standard CL9 Accord doesn't have the rain sensor, only the Lux does. The rain sensor is a triangular black box behind the rear vision mirror. Standard CL9 Accord has regular variable speed intermittent.

It seems to be standard practise in Australia, if you go through insurance for a windscreen, they use a cheaper aftermarket one, not an expensive original. It's usually written into their policies that the windscreen will be an aftermarket one that "meets Australian Design Rules".

- HZ

fmx990
29-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Just to revive from the half-dead but does any1 know if the sensor uses a special adhesive to stick to the windshield?? I need to stick mine back on and feel as though a regular silicon isnt what i should be using even though it is some sort of clear adhesive previously used.... well that the previous owner used anyway.

aaronng
30-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Just to revive from the half-dead but does any1 know if the sensor uses a special adhesive to stick to the windshield?? I need to stick mine back on and feel as though a regular silicon isnt what i should be using even though it is some sort of clear adhesive previously used.... well that the previous owner used anyway.

It is probably similar to the 2 part adhesive used for the review mirror. That is clear with a slight blue tinge.

fmx990
30-07-2011, 10:34 AM
It is probably similar to the 2 part adhesive used for the review mirror. That is clear with a slight blue tinge.

but its not a special adhesive with conductive properties to help the sensor function. just something with enough stick to hold it there??

fmx990
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
so figured out my own riddle with a gamble.. after i'd cleaned the sensor plate perfectly removing all previous adhesives, cleaned the windshield perfectly, decided to use some translucent roofing silicon. smeared a small amount on and ensured a nice even coating then stuck it to the windscreen. put the car out in the sun so i could see the sensor on the windscreen and kept applying pressure to it and moving it around to shift out all the air bubbles. left it 24 hours, re-attached the assembly and at first test (being hose on the car) seems to work perfectly.

and for those enquiring my windscreen is aftermarket and not HONDA. so it is possible for the sensors to work, now lets just hope this will last long-term.