PDA

View Full Version : Options for my 1.3L Breeze

bubblecivic
27-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey guys
I know theres no point in me modding up this carby engine so I'm thinking of a engine conversion. I've currently got $4000 in the bank and I'd like to know if its enough to cover the cost of the full conversion? What engine are available to me to convert with that kind of budget?
I hear on the forum there are lots of work to be done once you've converted, say tuning, and upgrading other stuff. So I quess I gotta put another $1k ontop of my budget to make sure?
Or is it best to just buy one thats already been converted?

Thanks

Mr. Focus
27-09-2004, 11:51 AM
d16a8 + boost!! do it, johnny red neat, do it!!

bubblecivic
27-09-2004, 01:16 PM
lol do it!
will $4000 cover the costs, can you give me more details of what you mean

the d16a8 is the 1.6l vtec?

nedgeworth
27-09-2004, 01:25 PM
1.6l DOHC non-vtec

[[d a n n y]]
27-09-2004, 01:37 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953
this is what i did for mine..

didnt cost that much..

bubblecivic
27-09-2004, 02:01 PM
yeah i think i'd rather stay NA aswell...
So EG6 b16as are off SiR civics? So the engines are pretty old hey?

also can someone correct me, b16a's are vti-r engines?

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Thats cuz u paid like wat? 0$ labour? :P

For us who cant do the whole conversion ourselfs it can be a lil expensive :P

I got my conversion done (b16aII) for less than 4k but i recommend you leave a little for things that might come up. Your not buying a new engine and new parts, just (in 99% of cases) a newer and engine and newer parts. So things still can and do go wrong...

Not sure about turbo cuz i havn't done it but seems like it might be a more feasable option?

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 02:17 PM
yeah i think i'd rather stay NA aswell...
So EG6 b16as are off SiR civics? So the engines are pretty old hey?

also can someone correct me, b16a's are vti-r engines? Yup SIR b16aII variety engines are from EG6 and EG9 only available in japan.
However this engine is available on the ausmarket on the Gen3 (EG2?) CRX and the EK4 Vti-r Civics.
So to answer your question, technically yes they are.
Similarly with the new gen5 preludes which are Vti-r in the aus market, are called SIR in the Jap market. As well as the Jap spec Ek4 which is called SIR and is a b16aII.

The SIR b16a is available to the gen 2 CRX and the EF9 civic.
These are a slightly older engine and use the cable clutch rather than the hydrolic that the b16aII uses.

The difference in AUSspec and JAPspec b16aII is from wat ive been told -
Distributor
Compression ratio
Octane level (which cannot be used with our RON rating in aus afaik)
In favour of the JAPspec.

Plz dont quote me or flame me on the differences they're only mearly what ive heard...

As for old. It really depends.
The guy who did my conversion had a 97 ek4 he was using for a similar conversoin. That had only about 60,000kms on the ODO at the time so it was relitavly knew compared to mine which had about 120,000.
If your lucky enough to find a wrecked JDM EK4 SIR (like tShonda) it will be relitively newer parts and lower kms. But also remember, the Japanese have the worlds best public transport system and as such most only drive their cars on weekends. Also when they do drive their cars on weekends, they're driving it on some of the worlds best roads. As such most cars have about 1/2 the kms its Australian equivilent does..

hope its been some help

Jamez

bubblecivic
27-09-2004, 02:20 PM
hey thanks for that man
so i need to source a crx half cut with the b16a hey?

how much does labour usually cost anyway!?
i reckon you saved heaps danny... i don't mind having a go myself with a few friends that have an idea but i'm worried it might stuff up the whole project and it'll end up costing me twice as much $$$
can i use the ECU from the halfcut or do i need to buy a diff one?

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 02:27 PM
There are many optoins.

You can ...
- Source a JDM eg6 or eg9 1/2 cut and do that. Its probably the easiest and definatly most comon because its from one EG to another. The engine bays are the same, thus ull have no trouble with mounts or engine bay space.

- Source a Aus spec gen3 crx or ek4 vti-r (or a jap spec one if ur lucky :P)... Im not 100% sure, but i think the CRX should fit straight into an EG, but an EK4 would require different mounts (guys?)
The thing with these engines is that they will be very hard to find wrecked because they are a newer car and there isn't many going around. That is why most people import a wrecked eg6/9 SIR because there is alot out there in japan..

btw if its a gen3 crx, they're all b16a ^_-

Mr. Focus
27-09-2004, 02:27 PM
yeah, what neal (nedgeworth) said. the d16a8 is huge in america. check out www.d-series.org. these guys know the 'd'

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 02:29 PM
i reckon you saved heaps danny... i don't mind having a go myself with a few friends that have an idea but i'm worried it might stuff up the whole project and it'll end up costing me twice as much $$$
can i use the ECU from the halfcut or do i need to buy a diff one? Labour is usually 1-1.5k from my experience.
There are little fiddly bits that my be troublesome if you dont get proper help.. even danny got help hehe...
Things like wiring the ECU, installing the wiring loom, gearbox, clutch all very difficult to do properly without prior knowledge.

I recommend you get a mechanic who has done the conversion before and is reputable (no shoddy lil warehouse in some factory area who doesn't even speak english >_<).. and yes im talking from experience! :p

If your in melb I can tell u atleast a few places where to get it done,
and 1 place where to NOT get it farqing done!!

[[d a n n y]]
27-09-2004, 02:37 PM
hey thanks for that man
so i need to source a crx half cut with the b16a hey?

can i use the ECU from the halfcut or do i need to buy a diff one?

yes u need to use everything from the half cut..from the brakes to the gearshift and the console...

once u do the conversion u will learn so much about the car..
it's a good experience

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 03:38 PM
]']
once u do the conversion u will learn so much about the car..
it's a good experience
That is very true. Ive learned everything ive told you and muchmuch more from doing mine =)

bubblecivic
27-09-2004, 03:59 PM
how much have you spent SiR JDM?
Did it all work out to plan or did you end up spending more then you planned?

CRX-Ando
27-09-2004, 05:57 PM
The "D-series" is a great platform but if a boosted path is lingering on your mind in the future then I'd suggest you lean towards a B16A conversion...both would handle around 8-9psi on stock internals but the "B-series" permits more options...if your desire is to stay N/A then budget for 5-6K for a full B16A conversion...forget about the Type R setup as that is heading towards the 10K mark...don't be naive about this mate, extra expenses more than likely will present itself so be safe & save more if need be...I, myself have a boosted B16A2 on my CRX SiR with full internals allowing me to run on about 16psi with no issues generating around 200kWs at the wheels...still has to be tuned optimally plus I have more mods in mind down the track...all the best with your Civic mate & keep us updated as to your progress...

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 10:48 PM
I was naive and didn't know much about engines and that... So when a friend told me he knew a guy that could do it for 3k i thought sweet! i can afford that
i only had about 3k at the time afta i bought my breeze (which was cheap as well).. i didn't have much money from the start...

Because of that i dind't expect wat was coming to me... extra servicing, sourcing little parts here and there.. but all up still only cost me about 4k... so wasn't toO bad but I would much rather paid 4.. even 5k and got someone reputable to do it
rather than have gone through wat i went thro.. i went from a fully converted car that was undriveable, to my street beast ^_- but not without months of not being able to drive it and fixing it up.. all the stress etc too...

bubblecivic
28-09-2004, 11:34 AM
umm you mentioned i need the console from the half cut,
so which halfcut do i actually shop around for?

Crx SiR or Civic SiR?!? What year model are they also?? And what prices should I be looking at and do they often hand out warranty aswell!? How do you check its still in good condition? You can't actually start it up can you?

I'd like to shop around for prices at this moment first.

[[d a n n y]]
28-09-2004, 11:57 AM
i got mine for 2.6K..

SiR JDM
28-09-2004, 04:18 PM
umm you mentioned i need the console from the half cut,
so which halfcut do i actually shop around for?

Crx SiR or Civic SiR?!? What year model are they also?? And what prices should I be looking at and do they often hand out warranty aswell!? How do you check its still in good condition? You can't actually start it up can you?

I'd like to shop around for prices at this moment first.
Only a gen3 CRX, the others wont work ..as well as the gen3.
EG Civic SIR is your the best bet. Oftern refered to as an eg6 or eg9. Both have the b16a.