PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey Roof box

Euroman
13-08-2008, 12:13 AM
we have had our odyssey since Jan & it has been great.
We are considering a fam holiday and i was wondering if anyone has purchased a roof box from Honda ?

is there an aftermarket alternative ?

Thx

quadrio
13-08-2008, 01:13 AM
hi, congrats on the purchase as for the box im pretty sure the brand THULE do one

evolution
13-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Yep quadrio is right, THULE do the roof racks and roof boxes that fit the odyssey

http://www.thule.com.au/products.php

Euroman
13-08-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks guys

i will pop in and see them at roof rack city Miranda

Approx quote was $600-$800 cheaper than Honda !

hondarocks
02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Euroman,
How did you go with your roof box?

Euroman
02-12-2008, 09:26 PM
have not gone ahead at this stage.
i did call the guys at MIranda that sell Thule and they seemed quite helpful.
if i do buy one it will be from them

whtdc2
31-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I had a Thule one, I can rent it out if you are thinking not buying one...

Qld_ODC
05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I've been looking into this as well. I have got a 15 month old Basque Red Luxury model and three kids so run out of boot space fairly quickly, mostly thanks to the pram.

Do you have the factory roof rails?
If not you are limited to a universal clamp-on set of crossrails with a load limit of around 50kg. With a roof box weighing around 14kg it doesn't leave much for luggage etc.
I've been quoted over $700 to have the Honda roof rails retro-fitted by my dealer. They then want $300+ for cross bars and then another $700 for the Honda roof box. :eek:

All the majors make cross bars to fit the factory roof rails (Thule/Rhino/Rola) for less than $300. They all do roof boxes ranging from $300-$1000 depending on size.

My questions for those that have a roof box - what size do you have and how does it look on the car? Got any pics?
What does it do to fuel economy?

My wife finally thought she had bought a car I couldn't modify....hehehe sooo glad I found this forum!! :cool:

AusAccord
06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
....My wife finally thought she had bought a car I couldn't modify....hehehe sooo glad I found this forum!! :cool:

so let us know yr plan for modding the people mover :cool::cool:

Qld_ODC
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ah see, I have plans but the wife has the veto stamp. Which she uses a lot.

In reality, where I live (500km west of Brisbane) the std suspension and wheel/tyre combo is low enuf. Lost count of the times the towbar has hit the ground coming out of driveways.

If I was to do anything it would be along the lines of self-levelling in the rear cause I also tow a trailer occasionally. I was looking for a PolyAir spring option but the suspension setup precludes an easy add on AFAIK.

The interior has more potential for mods but slicing up the dash scares me...

So entertaining the kids in the back for the 5 hours drives will be first project....I have a Dick Smith twin screen dvd setup but it's dying and there's three of em now....