PDA

View Full Version : CB F22a Gearbox harsh shifting

Zilli
13-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey all,

My best mate owns a cb7 i think? 1990-91 model exi 4 door sedan... he has recently swapped his auto box (F22a) to a reco one, and the shifts are really harsh, and it doesnt shift from 3-4 unless its at a certain RPM... basically not shifting smoothly as it should (I KNOW its almost 20 years old!)

TO date we have changed the ATF, recent the computer and reaped no results... does anyone know if there is an adjustment capability on this box?

Any thoughts?

Zilli
13-08-2008, 09:46 PM
can someone move this to the technical section, i dont think im going to get anywhere in this area...

CB7_OWNER
13-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I got a CB auto tranny... and i visit the cb7tuner.com website(US cb7 website, with literally everything you need to know on the CB7).. and like most other auto cb7 drivers.. we all agree on one thing... that the shifting is freaking "jolty" Its not a fault or anything... just the way it was designed apparently.. and something to do with the torque converter being extra obvious...

But a well working cb7 auto tranny is one that will harsh shift/jolt when changing gears ( doesnt sound right, but after read alot up on it..thats my conclusion).

As for the changing gear from 3-4.. Sounds like its stuck in the "Sports mode" all the time...when in sports mode... my car ONLY shifts from 3>4 when at minimum speed 65-70km/h...

Zilli
14-08-2008, 07:30 AM
hmmm i didnt know there was a sports mode...

so what your saying CB7, is that this gearbox came out of the factory the way it is??

CB7_OWNER
14-08-2008, 09:47 AM
According to what i read on the other forum. yes, people say that the gearbox came out of the factory that way; like it was never a smoooth gear change to begin with...... But with that said.... i don't know how severe the "jolt" or harshness your getting...and the fact it was recond may add in someway....Sorry can't help much...

I'll try and describe my "jolt" between gear changes....to summarise it up lol.. all i can say is... you could shift more smoothly in manual . then the cb7 shifts between gears ever! like period....

Oo.. i might also add.. that it is quite noticeable going from low gear to higher gear.. but also noticeable when the gear kickdowns when you gun it..

And another thing haaha. check engine mounts..especially the front and rear. im sure you know worn mounts would add to the severity of joltiness

Zilli
14-08-2008, 02:20 PM
ok thanks...

It doesnt hunt, its positive in its shift, but its not a smooth transition from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.... its like it bangs in to gear...

Bludger
14-08-2008, 09:41 PM
our old 90 accord wasn't smooth, and holding gears is sports mode.

bennjamin
14-08-2008, 09:43 PM
zill check the mounts arent worn or cracked. this can provoke harsh shifting and clunking too.

Zilli
14-08-2008, 11:14 PM
cheers guys... have checked with him its not in sports mode... its not a metalic clunking so i dont think its the mounts Ben, its like the clutches in the box are ****ed...

Thanks for the ideas boys

aaronng
15-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Our CD4 with F22a also had a similar problem with harsh shifting after about 4 years of ownership since new. After that, we'd even get locked out of 2nd gear and had to rev it in 1st real high before it would shift into 3rd. Turns out that there is a metal strainer inside that strains the ATF, which blocks up if you don't change ATF VERY VERY regularly (probably have to do it once every 1.5 or 2 years). We had the box pulled apart, clutch packs replaced and strainer replaced. Mech fcked up and had to rebuild the box again. 2nd time was also fcked up by the mech, so we bought a used gb off a half cut from Japan. No problems since and we are on the 10th year now on this wreck GB.

Zilli
15-08-2008, 08:09 AM
i had a feling its got something to do with the clutches, was that an expensive exercise?

aaronng
15-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Similar to replacing synchros in a manual gearbox I reckon.

ECU-MAN
26-08-2008, 09:17 AM
is the trans throttle cable set corectly. if not it will shift funny