PDA

View Full Version : DC2R Gearbox 5th Gear

MickeyMickey
13-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I have a 2000 model Integra Type R, I recently put it in for a new exedy clutch and lighter flywheel and after driving in for while notice 5th gear crunches at certain rpm's...down low up to say 3500's its fine and shifts fairly smoothly...but when it goes to say closer to 4000 and above no matter how i shift it crunches slightly or a fair bit.

Anyone know the problem? How to solve this? How much?

Thanks.

jeffreymui
13-08-2008, 06:25 PM
i got the same problem as u.....but the thing is it crunches up after i reach 60km....btw i own a dc4...the way to shift for me is ouyt the gear in neutral from 4th den push it to the right hand side in neutral and den let it shift in itself.....but i want to fix this aswel..im finding a way...if u got an idea how to fix it...please tell me thanks

Tegzieboi_BAR
14-08-2008, 12:11 AM
how u goin boys, same prob here in 4th, crunches at anythin ova 3k rpm. This started occuring a month or so after gearbox fluid change so that must hav encouraged it 4 me, must b crap oil, i think i used castrol or some shit.

Basically ive spoken 2 a few mechanics on this issue n every1 seems 2 think that the syncro is worn down, im gna do another oil change with top notch honda stuff n c how it pans out, if not hav 2 change the syncro, unfortunately is prolly cheaper just 2 find a cheap 2nd hand gearbox n whack that in.

I got a dc4 so im just gna hold out til i do an engine swap as the prob's not THAT bad at this stage.

6thgear
14-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I'd say the gear is worn and would need changing folks. probably change the synchro while you're at it. approximate price inclusive of parts and labour would be about the 1500 mark for synchro and 5th gear

2nd hand gearbox may be the cheaper fix, but then again you won't know for sure the condition of the 2nd hand gearbox, and you may have the same problem down the track. IMO I'd probably go for the 1st option and change to new parts, that way you'd be more sure that your box would be in better condition for longer.

good luck

EG30
14-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I would change the trans fluid with Honda MTF or Castrol VMX80 and see if that makes a difference b4 thinking about changing the synchros.

Tegzieboi_BAR
14-08-2008, 09:37 AM
my 2c... use the genuine Honda Oil... since my last oil change (pretty sure it was castrol... was the best 1 there too) the crunchin has occured plus when i start the car in cold weather the gears r a lil stiff 4 the 1st few changes.

MickeyMickey
14-08-2008, 01:16 PM
So suggest changing the synchro?...

Just wandering why only after 3800rpm it happens but lower rpm it shifts fine~

SiReal
14-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Mine use to crunch if i were to change from any other gear to 5th.

i.e. redline 2nd gear, straight to 5th, then crunch.

then i decided to run through all the gears 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 and thre is no crunching.

i guess let the synchros do their job first before forcing too much pressure on the box.

it works for me, it might work for you.

Bludger
14-08-2008, 10:58 PM
oil change 1st
next is synchro's

Bludger
14-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Mine use to crunch if i were to change from any other gear to 5th.

i.e. redline 2nd gear, straight to 5th, then crunch.

then i decided to run through all the gears 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 and thre is no crunching.

i guess let the synchros do their job first before forcing too much pressure on the box.

it works for me, it might work for you.2nd to 5th Jeff?

:eek:

lil_foy
14-08-2008, 11:07 PM
2nd to 5th Jeff?

:eek:

Ive done it merging while I was pissed off.

110-115 in 2nd then straight to 5th.

No crunching tho.

MickeyMickey
15-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Why does it happen to crunch only when over 3800 rpm tho? Why not down low as well? Engine vibration or just the speed?

...oh and mechanic said engine mounts were cracked and i am replacing mounts very soon...related problem?

Tegzieboi_BAR
15-08-2008, 11:19 AM
lol my engine mounts have been rooted 4 a while but ive learnt 2 deal with it, just gotta baby the clutch lots, it wouldnt at all b related 2 the gearbox prob.

LTDHO
15-08-2008, 11:43 AM
My GF's teg does this.

I replaced the oil and I think it's better, naturally she thinks it's worse.