PDA

View Full Version : LSD on FN2r

GT05
14-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys

Just been reading about this LSD stuff on the 07-08 Type R's.

Just wondering what they do , what they can improve?...and is there any disadvantage? or where can they be brought?

Thanks

aaronng
14-08-2008, 08:55 PM
They transfer torque to the wheel with more grip. So you can use full throttle while turning with little wheelspin. Downside is that sometimes you have more grip on the inside wheel, example if your outer wheel goes over an oily/wet patch, so you can get understeer.

To buy, you would have to choose the type you want (torsen-type or clutch), the brand you want which sells that type and then you have to make sure that it fits in your gearbox. The closest to the FN2R is probably the USDM Civic Si. That comes with a torsen LSD stock.

sitta
15-08-2008, 09:41 AM
i dont know much about installing them, do you need to remove the engine to remove the lsd or you can just jack the car up and install it in the transmission from under the car. And how much does installation cost? i think lukits knows well about this

SPEEDCORE
15-08-2008, 10:24 AM
The trans needs to be removed, pulled apart... your open centre replaced with the LSD unit and put all back together.

bodaas
15-08-2008, 04:57 PM
so whats the VSA (vehicle stability control) fitted on type R for?

twing
15-08-2008, 05:25 PM
VSA is ESP equivalent. ESP = Electronic Stability Program. VSA =Vehicle Stability Assist.
You are talking about VSC Vehicle stability control hehehehehe :p
some stuff anyway.

It's computerised, not mechanical.
The computer (ecu) will decide which wheels to brake individually, how hard to brake, modulate your throttle, and heap of other stuff when it detects over or under steer.
wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

aaronng
15-08-2008, 05:39 PM
The VSA is reactive, while the LSD is proactive. For VSA to work, your wheel has to slip and it will use the individual corner brakes and cut power. For LSD, it will transfer torque to the wheel with more grip before it even slips. Plus, it doesn't work by braking or cutting power, but rather putting the torque to the ground more effectively, so it is better in terms of performance than VSA.

bodaas
15-08-2008, 06:07 PM
so very silly then if you change vsa to lsd, unless if you want to go for drag

aaronng
15-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Nope, LSD is for track and when you do a lot of U-turns in 80km/h zones. You're better off putting your money into power mods than into LSD for drag.

bodaas
15-08-2008, 09:38 PM
isnt the more power mod , the loose grip and traction your car will

MrThanh
31-08-2008, 10:02 PM

i read this 10 times and still dont know what you're talking about

aaronng
31-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Yoda....

Chi
31-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Geez the grammar and spelling on forums are getting worse year after year.

Just to let you know you can put a K20A LSD into a K20Z4 for the FN2R while maintaining the VSA

Lukits01 has done it to his FN2R in WA.

He used a K20A Quaife LSD.

Go to the below link if you want to know the different types of LSD's

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27913

Euro08Jaz
31-08-2008, 10:30 PM
lol ^, i was considering an lsd for the euro but i guess ill wait a while and do and swap in a type s gearbox

SPEEDCORE
01-09-2008, 08:15 AM

-ve

It has nothing to do with drag or circuit.... an LSD will always be far superior to any form of VSA.

Well.. its obvious if you have more power to apply that you will break traction easier if applied..... LSD is still far superior to VSA in this instance also.

Learn to control your right foot....

bodaas
04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
i read this 10 times and still dont know what you're talking about

i want to edit my post and the line disconnected, thats what it ended up
and i didnt go back to this thread because i forgot about it

i was trying to say when the car has done too much power modification, the wheel start to loose grip, isnt lsd overcome that problem??

Geez the grammar and spelling on forums are getting worse year after year.

Just to let you know you can put a K20A LSD into a K20Z4 for the FN2R while maintaining the VSA

Lukits01 has done it to his FN2R in WA.

He used a K20A Quaife LSD.

Go to the below link if you want to know the different types of LSD's

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27913

just read the whole thread again, "NOONE" ever said you CANTT put lsd on FN

i also NEVERRR said installing lsd to VSA, it gonna stop the car from running,
off course it still work,

i still wondered why honda didnt put lsd+vsa on type r

Chi
04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Why dont you call Honda and find out instead of wondering.

SPEEDCORE
05-09-2008, 09:14 AM
i still wondered why honda didnt put lsd+vsa on type r

Bodass... if you look at R cars throughout the years, they have catered to drivers who want to experience the rawness of the car with little to no intervention from electronic assistance systems.... in fact I can only think of ABS being the only one, not sure if any NSXs had a form of traction control though.

A helical LSD has been sufficient enough for putting power down in the twisty stuff in a very predictable/safe and I guess less intrusive (clunking) manner for average joe compared to your clutch pack type LSDs. Some will argue this and say the helical/torsens were favoured due to maintanence of clutch LSDs potentially being $$$.... I think it might have been a bit of both.

There is no reason that you can not have LSD with a form of stability control....look at all the performance cars out there that have both. The FN2R could very well have come with both, however the way I see it, it would need programming of the VSA revised.. mainly the killing off of power when wheel slip is detected.... which would make the LSD a pretty redundant piece of hardware.

Which brings me back to my earlier quote of "Learn to control your right foot", which I feel throttle control + an LSD gives a more satisfying/responsive drive, instead of having a bunch of silicon chips ruining your fun..... and the way most of these things are programmed for average joe .. ruining it WAY too early at the slightest sign of trouble.

aaronng
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
For the record, I have put an LSD into my car which did not have an LSD originally, and I do have to be EXTRA CAREFUL when I am applying throttle when taking a slow corner (say right turn at the traffic lights) because with the LSD, the car can suddenly pull inwards slightly if there is a loss of traction on the inside wheel, which is common on poor condition roads. So while having an LSD on a regular car sounds nice, it is a bit of a liability for normal drivers. I think because Honda targetted FN2R towards less focussed drivers (people who use the car strictly on the street and never on the track) that they omitted the LSD.

SPEEDCORE
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I take it you put a torsen in then....

As far as LSDs go, I still feel the torsen/helical is the safest option in my experience for as you put it "less focused" drivers... compared to a clutch packs agressivness and different "locking" characteristics.

I think because Honda targetted FN2R towards less focussed drivers (people who use the car strictly on the street and never on the track) that they omitted the LSD.

And this is the reason why I have disputed the selling of this thing as an R car in other threads.....

Wazza
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I had a Quaife LSD installed in my FN2 about two weeks ago when the "3rd Gear" fix was being done, worth every cent in my opinion...

bodaas
05-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Why dont you call Honda and find out instead of wondering.

i dont need your opinion, i never ask you

Chi
05-09-2008, 07:36 PM

It's not an opinion, its a fact or guide to finding out what you want to know.

You're just too stupid to realise it. :wave:

bodaas
05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
It's not an opinion, its a fact or guide to finding out what you want to know.

You're just too stupid to realise it. :wave:

i am happy with my car, i really trust honda engineer, why should i listen to you and call them to find out??

i ll be the stupid one if i call them

edit: i just dont need your mouth, back to the topic

Chi
05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
i am happy with my car, i really trust honda engineer, why should i listen to you and call them to find out??

i ll be the stupid one if i call them

edit: i just dont need your mouth, back to the topic

You're making no sense like your signature.

English, do you speak it, properly?

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6263/123kv0.jpg

Thanks for the neg rep because you are too stupid.

bodaas
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
"go back to the topic", why is this not engglish enough to you??

Chi
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
"go back to the topic", why is this not engglish enough to you??

Point proven. :wave:

Wazza
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Excuse me? I highly doubt that you will gain the respect of anyone on this forum by responding like that. You may also like to think about taking onboard the opinions of others that have actually performed this modification, as opposed to that of a keyboard racer... (I just remembered why I don't post much any longer)

aaronng
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Closed until it cools down. PM me then to reopen.