PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust?

sleeptec
27-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey doodz, back to hassle u experts again (sorry guys)
Im planning on changing my stock zorst, but i dunno what kind to get.
Im not considering cat-backs coz of the cost, so basically im just looking at a muffler - barrel or cannon (whateva, i dunno much), tip etc.
Couple things, i really would not know wat size inlet, barrel i should get, but i do know that i want a 4 or a 4 and 1/2 inch tip.
Do u guys that live in melb know of any cheap places?
Btw i dunno how to explain the difference between those mufflers that look like the barrel part where the tip is connected to rounded. i dont really like that style. What do u call the other style?

Dominik
27-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I think the round exhausts are called Cannon style mufflers, and the others usually just get called oval mufflers.

If you want my advice though (many people dont :)), i wouldnt put an exhaust on an auto car. It just doesnt sound right. Unless its a V8, then it sounds alright ;)

I also think that it just draws attention from the cops. But all of what i have just said is my own opinion only, so go ahead if you still want to let everyone know you drive an auto (cant really tell if you cant hear the engine!! hehe). My choice (and what i will be doing), is to get nice shiny tips welded onto the stock muffler. Then you get all the bling without the drone!

And with regards to the inlet, i dont think it matters, because they will just use a flared piece of pipe as an adapter to attach it to your stock piping. For price, i've seen mufflers sold for $180 installed.

dundas
27-09-2004, 09:07 PM
hahah-- das cheap to just wack da muffler on the back-- or just get an axle back --- lots of people got them. if u just want the noise-- just do that-

h22a accord
28-09-2004, 09:29 AM
i think cannons look out of place on an accord. A big oval one looks the goods. A 2.5" axle back will give you a little bit of noise with not much drone. Seemed to give my car with an F22B an extra kick in the top end of the rev range too.

I have 2.5" cat back with the H22A and its fairly loud but not as droney from the cabin compared to alot of cars with exhausts ive been in. it has a unique sound to it.

Type R Positive
28-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Try to get a good quality muffler, cheap ones can be nasty. $500 should definately cover expenses. I will be going dual 5" or 6" cannon mufflers with 4" tips on my Euro. Oval mufflers don't look good in my books.

Standard mufflers are restrictive, and you can yield a few extra kw's with just changing the mufflers. The less restriction, the better. You want NO back pressure in an exhaust system at all. You can save a few kilo's as well, as standard mufflers alone can weigh over 20kg's.

cda96
28-09-2004, 01:30 PM
just installed a muffler only on my accord and removed the resonator and is suprisingly loud!! (magnaflow muffler) sounds gr8 too :thumbsup:

cda96
28-09-2004, 01:46 PM
dun think a single 4 or 4.5 inch tip would look too crash on an accord.
I agree with type R .. for sum reason alot of pple put cheap mufflers on their cars, there not there just mainly 4 looks.
heres twin 3.5 on my cord.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/cda96/DSCN1110.jpg

Type R Positive
28-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Nice!!! Two phatt cannons out the back of the euro would look nice to me though. It is going to cost abit though. I don't care about being loud and obnoxious, but drone would piss me off. Just crank the stereo. Easy :):):)

Dominik
28-09-2004, 06:13 PM
In a similar vein, i just recently put my standard airbox back on (to replace the pod filter which i thought was giving me 0.5kw), and it actually improved torque down low. And its super quiet now... Aah, maybe i'm just getting old. Loud cars annoy me these days (unless its a tuff V8 :)).

Remember, if its an auto and it has an exhaust, it'll always sound a little uncool!

sleeptec
29-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Remember, if its an auto and it has an exhaust, it'll always sound a little uncool!

sounds to me like a 'manual trannie bandwagon' comment if i ever heard one

Dominik
30-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Not a 'manual trannie bandwagon' comment, just a statement. Due to the way that auto transmissions work, the engine isnt locked to the output shaft (unless the transmission has torque converter lockup - which normally only takes into effect at highway speeds). It sounds the same as if you are riding the clutch on a manual car, and generally while driving around, all you will hear is bursts of constant tone as you maintain a constant speed.

An engine in a manual car has a nice purring noise from 1000rpm until it starts screaming near redline. And when maintaining a speed it is possible to have a constant exhaust tone.

But, yes i am prejudiced towards manual cars. There's a reason why the 0-100 and 1/4 mile times are consistently slower for automatics; its because auto transmissions take alot of torque from the engine, which 4 cylinders have precious little of (and yes, i have owned an auto car before; even though it was a V8 i felt like i wasnt actually driving, i was just 'steering' the car). To me, seeing a modified auto 4 cylinder, is like seeing a Ducatti with training wheels on!

sleeptec
01-10-2004, 11:55 AM
i can understand wat ur saying, but im not the kinda person that is affected by that. However i can appreciate wat u r talkin bout.
and also thanx for the ideas man

Ive came across a twin tip exhaust, as u guys have recommended and its got
2.5inch inlets
and
3.25inch outlets

wat u guys think of that? and is there any kinda idea i can get of how a twin would sound different to a 4inch tipped cannon or something

monstaR
01-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey I feel that magna flow make very good mufflers and you should get it. Affordable and may give a bit of performance......... :D

Dominik
01-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Well if you dont mind, then i'll shut my trap :)

With regards to the tone, its hard to say what it would sound like because i dont think there is a clear difference. You can get twin tips that sound bad, just like you can get cannons that sound bad. Good exhaust shops will let you hear the exhaust note by holding the exhaust on...

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
01-10-2004, 07:55 PM
My choice (and what i will be doing), is to get nice shiny tips welded onto the stock muffler. Then you get all the bling without the drone!

RESPECT man, thats what ill be doing ;)

sleeptec
02-10-2004, 10:13 AM
i know this is a stoopid question
but does dtm mean it is magnaflow? or is dtm a name for a style?

cda96
02-10-2004, 12:07 PM
wat u guys think of that? and is there any kinda idea i can get of how a twin would sound different to a 4inch tipped cannon or something

it will mostly depend on the quality of the muffler and size. Twin tip
duzn really make a diff to the sound, but there is differences between
cannon style and oval mufflers.
and by the way magnaflow is a brand from the US, check out there website. :thumbsup:

Type R Positive
02-10-2004, 12:30 PM
i know this is a stoopid question
but does dtm mean it is magnaflow? or is dtm a name for a style?
DTM is a style for the up swept tips. look crap to me.

Straight through cannon the best for performance, but can be very loud. The more restriction, the quieter it is.

poid
02-10-2004, 04:27 PM
if you get a good quality perforated straight-though muffler, it can be quiet without huge restrictions ie Magnaflow

Type R Positive
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Magnaflow are great mufflers, on any car other than Honda, you pick up heaps of hp. You want no restriction in any exhaust, only limited by noise.

sleeptec
17-10-2004, 04:00 PM
i picked up my zorst, (won from auction on ebay)
its a twin dtm style tipped oval muffler with these specs

Full T304 Stainless Steel

Length: 24"

Width: 8"

Inlet Size: 2.5"

Tip Size: 2.9" x 2.6"

would anyone have a clue or a slightest idea as to how this may sound on my 2.2 accord exi?im worried it might sound like some lancers that go
rrrrereeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh. :(

Spoon-Accord
17-10-2004, 04:34 PM
OI!! My canon isnt that bad :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/DSC01374.jpg

sounds okay..
some of the people already heard my muffler or exhaust tone on cruises..
lolz

:wave:

anywayz peeps..

get full system for performance..
just get muffler for Ricer styles..

Ken

Type R Positive
18-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Phatt !!!