PDA

View Full Version : Project Civic

lolahsieh
15-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm still new to this so bear with me. I am wanting to build a full circuit car. Any recomendations of what gear to use? My budget is about $80K. So far I was thinking...

Brakes - Endless 4 pot brake system
Suspension - Zeal Super function R
Engine - K20 or H22

Will get a full carbon body kit for the car too.. any help/advice will be muchly appreciated~!!

Lolahsieh

Sydsyd
15-08-2008, 09:08 AM
get the new civic type R and start modding from there...

Alexx
15-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Thats a big claim that your going to make a car like that.

I dont think i would start with a civic with that budget, but i look forward to seeing what you do if this gets off the ground.

Talk is cheap. Action is where its at :zip:

edit: lol at join date

teaseR
15-08-2008, 09:13 AM
80k...
id buy a gtr34 mods some suspensions and basic mods...
perfect around the track

Zdster
15-08-2008, 09:14 AM
:looks at join date, reads post again :zip::

Goodluck if you are legit. As said above, probably wouldnt start with a civic with that budget.

dumped echo
15-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey if he wants to start with a civic then that's his choice...Civics can be real fast in their class.

Consider if you want to build a race car then you'll probably want to look up the relevant rules for the type of racing you want to do.
Ie. If brake/engine/suspension etc mods are allowed and what exactly can or can't be done to them. In Aus a lot can be found in the CAMS manual, but i really don't know anyone who has $80k to spend on a racecar here..haha...btw you did mean $80k AUD?

In terms of
Brakes - Endless 4 pot brake system
Suspension - Zeal Super function R
Engine - K20 or H22

It's hard to say what is and isn't legal for your category of racing.
If you're going all out on time attack then yeah endless are well known but you may as well go 6-pot on the front, braided lines, Master cylinder and booster, pads, uprated fluid
Suspension - Zeal are also well known and used by JUN. Also factor in alignment products, swaybars, chassis strengthening
Engine - I'm biased towards K-series these days. Lots of support coming up for it and its newer/ likely to be more reliable

Carbon body kit will prob have to be custom made. I'm not sure of any company that sells full kits for civic. Custom carbon in qld might be able to help. Of course for race car you'd want to strip out all interior, strip sound deadening, maybe get body media blasted, welded and caged.

Good luck to you...Show pics of the build!

JasonGilholme
15-08-2008, 01:01 PM
get the new civic type R and start modding from there...

Bad Advice. You can pick the people that can't drive for crap or don't do track work. :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

What the point of spending all that money on a heavy chassis just to strip the crap out of it to make it a track car.

You're better off buying the engine you want, buying a good chassis thats light and easy to work on/get parts for. Don't want to have to try and get rare parts every time you get some damage from a group of cars banging their way through a hair pin.

Chances are you'll end up in an EG with a K20/K24.

There was an EK with a K20/24 for sale for under 20Knot too long ago. that'd be a good starting point for a reliable, competive, NA track car.

And i'm assuming the 80K figure includes the car purchase.

Dy_
15-08-2008, 11:55 PM
80k into a car?!?

what a stooge

lolahsieh
16-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Thankyou everyone for all you comments.

The reason I chose the Civic is because I picked one up for $5K as a 2nd car. Then I started going to Archerfield raceway with some friends and had a go on track and now i'm hooked. I am currently going for my racing licence and doing the formula ford course. So I am serious about modifying my Civic.

As for the cost of modifying the car, I am willing to spend up to $80K AUD to make it into a full track car. So i'm just asking for oppinion of people what to do.

Yes...I only joined a few days ago, becuase of a friend who recomended this site to me. I hope everyone can help me out :D

Much appreciated

Lolahsieh

bennjamin
16-08-2008, 05:45 PM
if its full track car ,, put some of that $80k into a trailer and poossibly a old ford or holden to tow it to track days.
Even with the above , you can get a very very quick and reliable EG or EK civic with a lightly moddified k20 or b18c and a good supply of parts and tyres.
So get te car which you think looks better and work from there.

bennjamin
16-08-2008, 05:47 PM
just IMO

get a EG civic hatch , strip it back and work it from the ground up.
get ITR front and rear brakes incl. 5 stud conversion , get front n rear ITR swaybars , look at seam weding to further reinforce the body.
Get a k20 from a japanese dc5 Type R and little mods will make it a bunch of fun. Plus a baffled sump too and you can chuck it at almost anything

MikeyG
17-08-2008, 02:43 AM
what ben said thats sums it up really.

dumped echo
17-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Trust me if you're going to run a formula ford you're gonna need all the money you can save....keep the money for running the formula car...