PDA

View Full Version : EG B16A2 Swap Help!!!!

pengpeng
16-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi all, Im doing a B16A2 swap into a 93eg, after I drop the engine in and bolted up, I realised the B16A2 engine loom has only 3 plugs on the passenger side, the old engine has 4 plugs, I pluged 3 of them and left the extra one out, the car starts, but runs very rough and very rich. can someone please help me out with this problem? thanks. Im a starter for this.

my car is a VEI with D15b SOCH vtec OBD1, B16A2 is from a 92 CRX vitR, OBD1.

VTec1987
16-08-2008, 08:10 PM
i think 4th plug is for automatic

pengpeng
16-08-2008, 08:21 PM
My car is manual, and swaping for a manual aswell.

[[d a n n y]]
17-08-2008, 11:54 AM
your ECU harness should only have 3 plugs
check if your looking at the right plugs

dumped echo
17-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Actually i think you have to take one of those plugs and convert it to fit somewhere in the 3 plugs. Uhhhh...that didn't make sense....
All you gotta do is could the wires and have a look at the colours. You'll probably find that one plug on your engine loom has 2 more wires there. So just connect those 2 other wires to where they're supposed to go.
Anyway hard to say without looking...try that first...and if you still have a problem post up a pic

Btw, just making sure...the VeI's D15b is Fuel injected right?

pengpeng
17-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Danny, there are 3 plugs at the ECU, but there are 4 plugs at the shock tower, im trying to change the wiring loom inside, can anyone sugest what is the perfect loom to suit the B16A2 and will plug perfectly into the plugs in the cabin to make everything work (power windows, horn, blinkers etc).

I tried to put an EG SI loom in it, I bought it from hondbits few months ago, but I doubt it's from an automatic, and not a manual, it has 2 more plugs near the centre console, one narrower and the other is wider. I pluged everything in and it doesn't start. no ignition power. don't know if it's because of the auto loom doesn't work on manual. I going to go back to hondbits and change it.

so can anyone sugest which loom can I get to make it plug and play?

ECU-MAN
17-08-2008, 06:25 PM
take a pic of the left over connector in the engine bay,

check the ECU for codes to see what is wrong

pengpeng
17-08-2008, 06:36 PM
this is the plugs on the D15 SOHC vtec engine

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/pengpeng04/DSCF1519.jpg

the B16A2 3 plugs and and original loom 4 plugs

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/pengpeng04/DSCF1520.jpg

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/pengpeng04/DSCF1521.jpg

I tried to check the code but using the blue plug underneath the glove box, when I short the circuit the engine light came on and stays on. don't know if this gives me a code.

dumped echo
18-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I think that means you didn't jump it properly?

pengpeng
18-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi all, thanks for the replies, Now Im into a new issue, I have changed the inside under dash loom with an Auto SI loom with 3 plugs, all plugs connect perfectly into the engine plugs, the engine turns but just can't fire up. does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? could the Auto loom have any difference to the manual loom?

PS: I have connected the two big wires on the Auto plug (the one plugs into somewhere near the auto gear stick) to make it turn.

[[d a n n y]]
18-08-2008, 03:47 PM
where abouts are u located?

pengpeng
18-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I live in quakers hill. please let me konw if you can help me out personally, I will pay for your time.

flipmods
18-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Just put your original loom back in and look at the pin layout and check between the ECU plug to engine. Not hard. just swap the pins to their correct location.

pengpeng
18-08-2008, 07:19 PM
can someone post up a wiring diagram up for the plugs? I have the diagram for the ECU, tried to find the Plug diangram and no luck.

>>> now I found a problem, the "Backup" fuse in the engine bay box keeps burning out, even with ignition key turn completely off, once I plug it in, it burns straigh way.
>>> The fuel pump seems not working, can't hear it when the ignition key is turned on, and no fuel pumps out even I loosen the nut on the fuel rail.

[[d a n n y]]
18-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I live in quakers hill. please let me konw if you can help me out personally, I will pay for your time.

alright pm me your details
i might be around the area 2mrw..
to visit a mate..

Benson
18-08-2008, 10:52 PM
from what i see in the pics, 3 coupling go together... the other one is useless..

make sure you got hte spark lead on the right sequence onto the dizzy... check for error codes.. make sure your engine light works.. i.e take off the TPS or MAP sensor and see if it register a code

jdmTYPE R
18-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Danny, there are 3 plugs at the ECU, but there are 4 plugs at the shock tower, im trying to change the wiring loom inside, can anyone sugest what is the perfect loom to suit the B16A2 and will plug perfectly into the plugs in the cabin to make everything work (power windows, horn, blinkers etc).

I tried to put an EG SI loom in it, I bought it from hondbits few months ago, but I doubt it's from an automatic, and not a manual, it has 2 more plugs near the centre console, one narrower and the other is wider. I pluged everything in and it doesn't start. no ignition power. don't know if it's because of the auto loom doesn't work on manual. I going to go back to hondbits and change it.

so can anyone sugest which loom can I get to make it plug and play?
u can use the auto loom but just have to connect up the ignition wire and reverse wire, ive done a conversion on a vei and the 4ths plug wasnt used and it started up fine, check if your map senser and oxygen senser r connected properly and get your knock senser wired up..

pengpeng
19-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Im using the ITR throttle body, it has a map sensor but the B16a2 engine loom does not have a plug for the map sensor, so it's not connected, and im using the Skunk2 intake manifold, some of the Vacum tubes have nowhere to connect to as the original D15 manifold does, so I just put a screw to plug it up. I will take some more pics and post them on, then you guys will know what my engine bay is like.

Benson
19-08-2008, 09:20 AM
well there you go, you need to connect the map sensor... Use the old coupling off the D-series and match up the wires to the b16a loom

jdmTYPE R
19-08-2008, 01:02 PM
well there you go, you need to connect the map sensor... Use the old coupling off the D-series and match up the wires to the b16a loom
i think this will solve your problem :thumbsup:

dumped echo
19-08-2008, 06:27 PM
It could be the change of loom necessitating a different ECU.
I was doing a B16B swap into an EJ civic and it fired up with the standard ecu (even though it was a bit damaged), but it wouldn't fire up with a perfectly good ecu from an EM1 (B16A), although all the plugs seemed the same and plugged in ok. Not sure if its the same problem that you have though.

I also remember someone saying that his car wouldn't fire up after a B16 or B18 swap until he swapped over the original key barrel.

jdmTYPE R
19-08-2008, 09:36 PM
em1 has a immobilzer in the ecu thats proberly why it didnt fire up....most ozzy spec ecu has a immobilzer

pengpeng
23-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone, another week passed, I have been working on the car again today, got it started, and now I need some help to identify my ECUs, my D15B engine runs on a P07 ECU, and I have bought an ECU from AK Motorworks early this year, said to be a Chipped B16A2 ECU, but I had a look at the ECU today, and found out it a P06, I tried both ECUs to run the car and the engine runs very rough, sounds like miss firing with black smog coming out of the exhaust. then I took out the ECU from my SI (D16Y8), a P29, plugged it in and start the engine, it runs a lot smoother than the other 2 ECUs, can some one please tell me if that I got ripped off by AK motorworks? they charged me $250 for exchange with my P30 ECU which came originally with the B16A2 engine. that Andy from AK motorworks said he would re-chip the ECU and tune it for me, I opened the ECU today and it seem to be untouched at all. I have attached some photos of the ECUs, will someone be able to identify the difference between these ECUs?

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/zhipenghe/DSCF1530.jpg

The AK motorwork P06 ECU said to be a re-chipped B16A2 ECU

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/zhipenghe/DSCF1532.jpg

The inside of the AK motorwork ECU

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/zhipenghe/DSCF1533.jpg

The inside of the AK motorwork ECU

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/zhipenghe/DSCF1531.jpg

the D15B P07 ECU for my SOHC engine

fatboyz39
24-08-2008, 10:55 AM
P06 ECU is a EG GLI single cam SOHC motor. Its not a b16a2 ECU. Im not saying you got ripped off. But i think he chipped the P06 and placed a stock b16a2 map on it.

The ECU your after is a P30 for b16a motor.

With the P29 plugging in and running fine, it has a closer map to the b16a then the other 2 ECU you tried. But all 3 ECU should start up and idle fine. Seems like you have a few ECU codes to go thru.

mojo the flashy monkey
25-08-2008, 01:35 AM
its the map sensor plug :) its the last 3 top wires on the D plug from ur ecu 17,19,21

pengpeng
25-08-2008, 09:23 AM
thanks all....i will try these on the weekend....

pengpeng
31-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi all, after 3 weekends of working, finally got my civic moving, I have solved the wiring problem, had my AFC NEO wired up and went for a little tune on the road today, feels awsome, very smooth power band, and pulls hard from 6k-7.5k. thanks for everyone's help, very appreciated.

and one more thing, Im using the chipped ECU, Ak motorworks said he will set the cut off at 9k, but it cuts off at 7525rpm (from the reading of the AFC) today during the test. does anyone have an idea if the ECU has been Chipped correctly?

dumped echo
01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you have a tacho? Doesn't the NEO take the rpm signal from the ecu? which should be the same as that displayed by your tacho?

In any case i'd trust the NEO more...

pengpeng
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
yean, I do have a tacho, but it does not match the reading from the NEO, the car's analogue tacho is like 200-300 revs different (more) to the NEO.

It should go up to 8200revs eh? for a stock P30 ECU. does anyone know how to program the chipped P06 ECU? I need to set the cut off rev at higher, say 8500-9000 revs. is the SST chip programable?

dumped echo
02-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Well 200-300 rpm difference isn't that much. Would be really hard to tell the difference was even there considering the standard ecu is analogue reading. I'd still trust the NEO more. I mean...standard speedo's can be like 10% out right....what's to say their tacho isn't 10% out also....
That's just my impression though... Sorry can't help you with the ecu chip info

pengpeng
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for this Echo, I will try to find someone around sydney for the ECU programing.

AKmotorworks
04-09-2008, 12:47 AM
peng, that rpm cut off is the low cam speed cut off, ie vtec isnt engaging. Definately look at that first.

if ur happy to take it to joe at hi comp racing we can work out a deal for u in getting it tuned, and possibly finding ur problem.

pengpeng
04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi andy, I think the high cam was engaged cos the power was very obvious, but after cut off it just like normal fuel cut off, i've driven a B16A2 civic before, that's the power you get for the high cam. and I have played around with the Vtec engaging rev with the AFC, and it worked.
are you in sydney? I will call Joe tomorrow see if he can do anything about it, can you tell me can the chip be re-programmed? I need some revs man! no point of having Vtec with a cut-off at 7250 rpm. right?