PDA

View Full Version : 4WD Civic conversion

emanuera
17-08-2008, 03:05 PM
First of all,
Sorry to everybody for starting a thread like this and Im sure a million people will burn me, but I have information that alot of people may be interested in.
As we all know the Civic RTSi is the 4WD version (Real-time 4WD) of the 92-95 5th Gen Civic sedan.
If you didn't know, there's a small groove in the centre of the Fuel tank on the RTSi that allows the driveshaft and rear diff to pass through to the rear (just like the CR-V)
After months of research I found an RTSi on a NZ trading site.
Got a vehicle history check using the rego number.
Got the VIN number (this was the key!)
Contacted Honda NZ
And guess what I found?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/hondajphmgplrferegionjpdataimageser.png

The last fuel tank in Japan for the Civic RTSi (Or so they told me)
So I did what any idiot who wants a 4WD Civic would have done
BOUGHT THE F"N THING!
2 weeks later and look what just came in yesterday

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/CivicFuelTank012.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/CivicFuelTank003.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/CivicFuelTank008.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/CivicFuelTank011.jpg

I wont be able to start this conversion for a long time but at least I have the fuel tank.
As you can see there are two holes either side of the groove.
These are for the fuel pumps, I do not have these but I'm hoping I can use external pumps or something,I have little mechanical knowledge and a fabrication skill of zero but thats okay cause all I have is time:)
At the moment this fuel tank is more valuable to me than the car itself...My wife....My first born.... Nah,:rolleyes:
But really....

emanuera
17-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I hope this is in the right thread

Mooks79
17-08-2008, 03:20 PM
this sounds like a 1 big project...... good luck i wander wat yr it will finish?? hehe

EKVTIR-T
17-08-2008, 04:03 PM
"You can do it"

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1132/waterboy2rn2.jpg

Good luck with the project.:thumbsup:

trism
17-08-2008, 08:47 PM
this will be hawt

yourfather
17-08-2008, 08:51 PM
so you are making a 4wd eg?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Good work

Heard of a few American guys getting this but failing miserable (and or having there shit gone shortly after announcing they had it)

Cannot wait to see the final product

Just curious are you planning to go with 100% OEM (where possible) or are you planning to improvise?

*Very Very interested in this*

EKVTIR-T
17-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Why did they fail?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Why did they fail?

One guy quit the project and i believe parted out

Unsure of the other one i read about

Ill see if i can find the link somewhere

trism
18-08-2008, 12:15 AM
a bloke did it with an EF

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2104408&page=1

trism delivers

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-08-2008, 12:25 AM
a bloke did it with an EF

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2104408&page=1

trism delivers

I want a wagonvan so bad...and no not to Butcher it :p

There is a thread somewhere on here with video's from that EF :thumbsup:

emanuera
18-08-2008, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=SHOGUNOVDDRK;1852038]

Just curious are you planning to go with 100% OEM (where possible) or are you planning to improvise?

QUOTE]

Yeah, Um.... Not ready to disclose the engine type (In fear of servere criticism) But If by OEM you mean "Real-time 4WD" then no.
The driveline wont be that of the CR-V type.
Realtime wasn't designed with performance and reliability in mind, I just don't see how a viscous centre diff would be all that reliable.
Does anyone know if the Epic Tuning EF have driveline issues?

Anyways, Im interested to see what engine/driveline combination you guys think are worthy of such a setup?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Um.... Not ready to disclose the engine type (In fear of servere criticism) But If by OEM you mean "Real-time 4WD" then no.
The driveline wont be that of the CR-V type.
Realtime wasn't designed with performance and reliability in mind, I just don't see how a viscous centre diff would be all that reliable.
Does anyone know if the Epic Tuning EF have driveline issues?

Anyways, Im interested to see what engine/driveline combination you guys think are worthy of such a setup?

No i wasnt asking about the engine though am slightly curious (the fact you are dedicating time and money into this doesnt deserve criticism's and if you receive any whoever gives it deserve to drive off old pac)

When i was asking about OEM usage i was more referring to will you be hunting and using the EG 4WD parts and Driveline pr if you would be improvising with CRV parts

If you are going to get a diff Perhaps try and get something other then Viscous (have heard good and bad about them but imo i would steer clear)

its direct out of the wagonvan EF and HARDLY a bolt on bolt off system but to my knowledge no problems yes

Only problem i see with that one would be the drive shaft/system failing but if they did there homework and did some pre-fail work then it will be fine and able to handle the load/living in general with ease (the older 4wd systems werent the strongest)

IEVAQ8
18-08-2008, 01:30 PM
crazy...........but would be good to see finished

yourfather
18-08-2008, 10:02 PM
longitude mounted b20vtec with symmetrical awd

nd55
20-08-2008, 10:24 PM
hey Emanuera,

just out of interest, where did you find that exploded parts diagram?

I've been trying high and low for info on the 4wd civic versions.

Nick.

yourfather
20-08-2008, 11:00 PM
thats the type of diagram that honda australia use for parts.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
20-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I think there was a year or two ago a downloadable Service Manual from the 4WD EG's on a UK forum

emanuera
21-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone!
When the guy I was dealing with through Honda NZ said he had found the fuel tank, I asked for pics of it and he emailed me that diagram.
Yeah it's from a service manual, I was meaning to ask for a copy but it slipped my mind.
Before I got the tank, I tried looking for it everywhere. All I found was the Japanese RTSi brochure ( I remember thinking I needed to find some Japanese mates to translate:p)
I should really track the service manual down, I reckon I could probably get it now.
But here's what I'll do for you guys...
Here's the part numbers for the parts I bought:

Fuel Tank Part Number: 17500-SR7-030
Fuel tank protector Part number:17519-SH7-050
These items are available from Honda Japan only.

I hope that helps some people.
I know how frustrating it feels when people know the answers to questions you spend hours trying to research and they won't tell you.;)

nd55
27-08-2008, 03:40 PM
> thats the type of diagram that honda australia use for parts.

Been there (Honda spare parts that is).

No 4wd exploded parts diagrams available from Aus. Honda.

Honda Australia never sold the 4wd civic versions so they don't carry it on their books.

If you have a part number and insist it's real they can usually get it in.

Nick.

nd55
27-08-2008, 03:44 PM
emanuera, can you get back to your contact and ask for an exploded parts diagram of the 4wd trailing arms with accompanying part numbers?

I want to know if the 4wd arms are different from the 2wd versions.

I know there exist some 4wd arms from the earlier Wagonvan civics, but they'
re ED platforms and hence too different.

Nick.

nd55
27-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I think I've been given info on EK5/8 trailing arm (the awd version).

Part number of Trailing Arm

RH is 52370-SR7-A00
LH 52371-SR7-A00

and price is about $1000.

Any Kiwi's out there able to take a photo the rear sus of this mythical beast?

Nick.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
27-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Tried a few NZ honda forums?

They might also be able to help source parts

Ill contact my NZ buddy and see if he can find any info/parts/forums for ya :)

nd55
27-08-2008, 04:15 PM
> Tried a few NZ honda forums?

Yep.

Apparently total Honda production of the EG/EK 4wd was in the hundreds and focused in a few strange, exotic locations ... like NZ :zip::zip:

The limited production and non-performance nature means there are scant references on the internet. Mostly people who don't believe.

> Ill contact my NZ buddy and see if he can find any info/parts/forums for ya

Thanks.

Information and photos would be appreciated at the moment. I'm not in any hurry to spend money I don't have in the first place.

Nick.

emanuera
27-08-2008, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=nd55;1866224]emanuera, can you get back to your contact and ask for an exploded parts diagram of the 4wd trailing arms with accompanying part numbers?

I want to know if the 4wd arms are different from the 2wd versions.

QUOTE]

Yeah Man I'll see what I can do

tseesinngwailo
27-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Cant wait to see this, i too wanted to do this to my DA using CRV or the mythical EG/EK parts, but have no garage to patiently work on it, maybe in a couple of years in my new house (large garage high on the priority list) Good luck, and keep the updates happening

schizo
13-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Hi there :wave::beer::angel:,
First of all -> I've registered here becouse I've read your thread.
I am investigating Honda's 4Wheelies 4th and 5th gen for 2 years and can be helpful I think.There is a forum called www.hondacivicwagon.com where I was trying to register 5 times to give dem info but they do not authorize me - maybe becouse of my Bulgarian IP. So they suck DK.
Anyway.
First I cannot understand why you've bought that fuel tank - you will have to make serious modifications in order to finish the project so a DIY fuel tank is one of the easiest parts compared to the other difficulties in the project... but you got it so that's good :)
So,
there are 2 differen 4WD systems - with normal diff in front(tranny) and rear(diff) and the second is with LSD in fronth and LSD on the rear diff. In the 4th gen civics and wagons this is the so called INTRAC system. If a CIVIC - no matter 4th or 5th gen has ABS(ALB - the old name) it has LSD infron and in the rear... in that case the rear diff is similar maybe even the same like the CRV one...( I can compare this - there are russian sites with parnumbers and everything so if you need something I can help becouse I know russian :))
The epic tuning 4wd 4th gen hatch is with the normal tranny and with the normal diff. I have a 4th gen sedan with the same 4wd system and it is good. I have a shuttle INTRAC too that it is with LSD infron and in rear and handles better. Now I am buying the RTSI - this month - I've found it and in Saturday will go to see it and prepay it.
After buying it we can compare images so you will see all the differneces in the arms and so on...
The driveshaft from the 4th gens I think can be used in your project. Want to mention that there are little differneces in the lenghts of the driveshafts - after [1990;...) the driveshaft is with something like 2 cm longer.
It will be a problem for you to use 4th gen tranny becouse it is with cable clutch(yours must be hydraulic I think) but 4th gen tranny can be done with some welding...
Ask questions I can answer.

P.S.
I've found the service manual for the RTSI 4WD sedan ferio before 2 hours, I was searching for it for 8 to 10 months... and after finding the service manual I've found your post :)

P.S.2.
If someone from the hondacivicwagon forum reads that - authoryze me - you have lack of information, we can collaborate insted of not authoryzing my little bulgarian IP LOL

P.S.3.
If my english is bad - sorry :!)

Good luck with your project emanuera and please tell me where are you from - do you have any 4WD Shuttles(Wagons) there? :wave:

ongsta
17-11-2008, 01:34 PM
this is gonna be interesting

~Sp33~
17-11-2008, 08:54 PM
4wd civic sedan owner. :wave:

Only problem i see with that one would be the drive shaft/system failing but if they did there homework and did some pre-fail work then it will be fine and able to handle the load/living in general with ease (the older 4wd systems werent the strongest)

What's to fail? Nothing but mechanical linkages. I've never had a problem with dry launching.

schizo
18-11-2008, 08:25 AM
YO ~Sp33~ I know your car from another forum - I remember you, my 4th gen is the same but with SOHC...
Is your hydro clutch stock ? hm - pretty strange if it is hydro... I was thinking that only after 1991 the civics had hydro clutch...

Where is the starter of the topic - I am interested what is going on...

~Sp33~
18-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Great stuff, which forum? I sent you a PM.

simonnowis
18-11-2008, 08:40 PM
damnn... looking forward to keeping up to date with this project.. gl

tiksie
19-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Any updates ?

Sounds like a awesome project.

emanuera
19-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi everybody:wave:
Yes Im still here and Im still doin this.
I havn't been internet capable for a while, In between moving house and computer sh!#ing itself and not being able to fix it for like a month!:mad:

Anyway, No physical updates yet, but always researching and learning more and more about this project. I'd like to be confident in every aspect of this conversion before I start (Or at least most of it:p)

nd55 - I have emailed my Honda NZ contact about the exploded parts diagram of the 4wd trailing arms and part numbers now that my computer is back online. I kinda never got round to it :rolleyes: but I'm waiting for his reply and hopefully I can get back to you in the next few days. Sorry.
Oh yeah.. When I picked up my fuel tank the parts manager at Honda Gold Coast said he did not recognise the part numbers but when head office in Melbourne finally found them he said that the SR7 in the part number (i,e 17500-SR7-030 ) meant that the parts were interchangeable between various models!
This tells me that the EK5/8 Trailing Arm numbers you provided, could quite possibly be used on the EG :)

schizo - I bought the tank so I could still have that OEM look, and not compromising space or functionality with a DIY tank. Im living in Australia, but Im from New Zealand and there are quite a few 4WD EH,EK's over there. I've seen them and they are beautiful. NZ has a lot of unique jap imports that I never see in Australia. It's kinda sad really.
Thank you for your wealth of information. I'd love to compare images of your 4WD 5th Gen, EH, whatever! we'll learn alot from you :)

We are building quite a network here, I have a feeling this is going to become a very informative thread.I registered on http://www.hondacivicwagon.com/ too, it's awesome! lots of info on there too!

It's getting late, Im off to bed
Talk to y'all later.

dahon
19-11-2008, 09:29 PM
whoa this is sweet! always wondered if someone had the patience to do this!
good luck on it dood!
id say go with a torquey engine combination... in my opinion though...
do they have any of the 4wd civics in NZ though? wouldnt it be cheaper to buy one from NZ then compliance and bring it here? cos i hear all NZ jap cars are JDM spec anyways...
anyway... keep it up!

steve88
20-11-2008, 08:56 AM
4wd EK9 would be sex haha

nd55
20-11-2008, 02:45 PM
> 4wd EK9 would be #%$!

4wd's are d16 based. The rear viscous coupling does nothing for performance.

Just like a CR-V or HR-V.

I don't think the EK-9's crown can be toppled too easily.

Emanuera> This tells me that the EK5/8 Trailing Arm numbers you provided, could quite possibly be used on the EG

I have a strong suspiscion that 4wd Eg/Ek's used a different rear subframe to create clearance for the diff.
So it might not be as simple as bolting the 4wd arms on.

I have some rear suspension pics of a Honda 4wd Civic Wagon, for interest's sake.
How do I post happy snaps on here?

Nick.

nd55
20-11-2008, 03:07 PM
RE: Wagovan rear suspension..

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=10969&cat=500

emanuera
25-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey all :p

The part numbers nd55 gave us are for the EG & EK Civic saloon models with 4wd and ABS brakes. http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Civic%20Fuel%20tank/hondajphmgplrferegionjpdataimage-1.png

The part number of rear trailing arms for cars without ABS is
LH = 52370-SR7-980
RH= 52371-SR7-980

The illustration in the parts listing is the same for both types, (the ABS type shown)

I do not know what the difference is between the two, possibly bolt holes for bracketry to attach ABS pipes etc.

The rear trailing arms for 4WD are the same for both EG models and EK models.

nd55
26-11-2008, 10:39 AM
emanuera, good work. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

perhaps another small piece of the puzzle, but a step forward.

Anybody got the corresponding part numbers from an equivalent era CRV?
They look VERY similar.

Anybody want to guess what parts 1 & 2 do?

> saloon models
he, he.

Just like my hatch is a sport oriented two door, with the capacity to carry the weekly groceries.

Gotta luv advertising copy.

It's still just a a Civic.

Nick.

nd55
26-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Just to answer my own question

1998 CR-V rear trailing arm
52370-S10-A02

1998 fwd civic rear trailing arm
52370-S04-A00

As usual more questions than answers.

Does anybody know if the CR-V rear lower control arm is the same as the DC2R rear lower arm?
I think the EG/DC rear lower arms are shorter than EK arms (1/16" rings a bell).

Nick.

dahon
26-11-2008, 11:48 AM
yeh how does the subframe look for a 4wd civic compared to the normal one?

schizo
03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
In europe the wagons with 4WD have different arms compared to the arms in the last picture ( numbers 8-9 ). The wagons here are with solid arms ( 8 and 9 from the pic ).

YO Emanuera - please tell them in the www.hondacivicwagons.com forum to authorize my user, they are discriminating my nationality ro what LOLx10

I will send you pics soon...

P.S.
I cannot find those two parts in any catalog :
LH = 52370-SR7-980
RH= 52371-SR7-980
Are you sure about the numbers?

trism
03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
What about using crv running gear to use a b series

~Sp33~
03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
> 4wd EK9 would be #%$!

4wd's are d16 based. The rear viscous coupling does nothing for performance.

Just like a CR-V or HR-V.

The CRV uses a clutch actuated realtime 4wd system, as apposed to the center viscous coupler unit in older D series 4wd's, which is much quicker to respond to slippage. In most cases it doesn't 'wait' for the front's to slip before the rear is fed power.

If you've been driving hard, the Viscous coupler can become close to solid sending the majority of the power to the rear wheels (if they're more tractable).

Think of it as a lockup device. The hotter it is, the larger the percentage of power is sent to the rear wheels. Remember too that it isn't just cold until the front wheels loose traction and require extra traction, but usually it's hot from regular frictional forces accumulated while driving, meaning theres already a percentage lockup having occurred.

Speaking from experience, dropping the clutch in wet conditions with reasonable RPM doesn't make the front wheels spin. Unlike in my friend's (albeit) automatic CRV.

Sorry about the spiel, but i believe that the older system is beneficial to performance applications.

Paul1985
03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
In europe the wagons with 4WD have different arms compared to the arms in the last picture ( numbers 8-9 ). The wagons here are with solid arms ( 8 and 9 from the pic ).

YO Emanuera - please tell them in the www.hondacivicwagons.com forum to authorize my user, they are discriminating my nationality ro what LOLx10

I will send you pics soon...

P.S.
I cannot find those two parts in any catalog :
LH = 52370-SR7-980
RH= 52371-SR7-980
Are you sure about the numbers?

Im guessing those numbers are AUDM, thats why you cant find them.

Very interesting info.
Id love to see updates as they happen.

schizo
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM
OK
What I can say is that the arms from the 4th gen sedans 4wd and 4th gen Shuttles 4wd no matter ABS or not are the same as the one in the 5th gen 4doors 4WD Civic Ferio. So if your 6th gen arms are the same or similar to those in the 5th gen I think that you can do the thing that the Epic Tunning did to the 4th gen hatch,
using arms from Shuttle/Wagon 4WD or Sedan 4WD (4th and 5th gen)

http://buls.hit.bg/hnda.JPG

P.S.
Can you find 4WD Shuttles there in Australia?

nd55
04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
> I cannot find those two parts in any catalog :
> LH = 52370-SR7-980
> RH= 52371-SR7-980
> Are you sure about the numbers?

I posted at the very top......
"Honda Australia never sold the 4wd civic versions so they don't carry it on their books."

Emanuera was able to confirm through a NZ contact they are valid part #'s.

Having said that, no I've never seen them either.

trism> What about using crv running gear to use a b series

CR-V trailing arms are longer than civic RTA's.

This thread is about OEM trailing arms to bolt 4wd into 6th gen civics.

If you're handy with a tig welder and can fab stuff, then the world's your oyster....

> I think that you can do the thing that the Epic Tunning did to the 4th gen hatch

Again it means DIY welding and fabing. Not my area of experience.

> Can you find 4WD Shuttles there in Australia?

Yes. Not common, but they do exist. There's some pics of the 4wd shuttle rear sus. in my user gallery.

Nick.

trism
04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
why cant you use the 4wd civic/wagonvan trailing arms and rear hub, and the crv box/rear diff etc, then just get custom drieshafts made up?

would be easier than cutting and shutting the crv arm

nd55
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
trism, a 6th gen. 4wd civic is just a fantasy at this point.

Honda DID make them.

I think we are just slowly chipping away at confirming relevant part numbers for the bits from Honda which will bolt on.

Given the pace it's probably never going to happen, but that's not to say it doesn't deserve a little bit of effort.

Nick.

trism
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
no no, im talking about CRV gear into a 4th/5th gen civic

even if its just the box so we can use a b series rather than a d series

nd55
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
> no no, im talking about CRV gear into a 4th/5th gen civic

sorry. no idea.

~Sp33~
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Can you find 4WD Shuttles there in Australia?

They were sold here in 89.

why cant you use the 4wd civic/wagonvan trailing arms and rear hub, and the crv box/rear diff etc, then just get custom drieshafts made up?

Because the B gearbox won't mate with the D engine. If you were to just use the CRV rear dif the VC would bind, they run (slightly) different ratio's.

trism
05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
do the crvs not use a transaxle? the box, front diff and transfer case are all one unit?

~Sp33~
05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah they are? But it still wont mate with the D engine.

Oh in my previous post i said D transmission, maybe that was the confusion, i meant engine. (edited)

trism
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
lol

if you read what i posted up there, i asked about the crv box so i can use a b series engine, instead of a d series

~Sp33~
05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Ha, sorry. I misread it. I went into a spiel on the previous page on how lame the CRV clutch actuated dif is, I'm not sure if the clutch section could be removed but you would need to upgrade your rear driveshafts, those things really are tiny.

On www.hondacivicwagon.com there was a member who put a B series engine into his 4wd wagon, but it was a lot of work.

Webby_roller
06-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Searching for random cars, found this... could be of help....

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?R=5228175&trecs=803&Make=HONDA&__Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal%7c0%7c%7cpCar_PrivateSpeci alFlag_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_ImageCount_Int32%7c1&Model=CIVIC&__N=4294965322%200%204294965250%201216%20834%20285 %20257&State=All%20States&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&Cr=2&__Nne=20&sort_type=2&state_id=0&__sid=11D1C098C93C

Could be used as a parts car.... 4WD civic....

Good luck....

JasonGilholme
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
dunno if this has been posted but might be usefull.

don't even know if it will help but a picture paints a thousand words:

http://videos.streetfire.net/album/4WD-Civic_1302996.htm

~Sp33~
07-12-2008, 12:31 PM
The dif's welded solid to the car, i wonder if they have problems with that.

emanuera
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I found this on hondacivicwagon.com in the RT4WD info thread :
Q. Can my RT4WD be made into AWD?
A. Yes. You can remove the viscous coupler in the centre of the drive shaft and have a new drive shaft made up.

with that in mind...
EG/EK trailing arms, B20B, 4wd trans and transfer case, custom driveshafts.
Being a B series you think the trans would bolt straight in apart from mounting the T-case and driveshafts/diffs?

You guys think the CR-V swap would work?
The CR-V trans would provide drive to the rear wheels just with a different centre diff application.

Paul1985
08-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I found this on hondacivicwagon.com in the RT4WD info thread :
Q. Can my RT4WD be made into AWD?
A. Yes. You can remove the viscous coupler in the centre of the drive shaft and have a new drive shaft made up.

with that in mind...
EG/EK trailing arms, B20B, 4wd trans and transfer case, custom driveshafts.
Being a B series you think the trans would bolt straight in apart from mounting the T-case and driveshafts/diffs?

You guys think the CR-V swap would work?
The CR-V trans would provide drive to the rear wheels just with a different centre diff application.

I say try it and dont give up!

trism
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
i know i like the idea of crv running gear

stmotorsports
16-12-2008, 05:42 PM
hey guys... found this site when searching for awd civic stuff

wanted to drop in and say nice work to everyone on all of the research so far

emanuera- congrats on snatching up that fuel tank :thumbsup:

i'm here in the states and have my own awd civic project going, I'm still working on trying to convert the clutch pack to some sort of viscous and getting an lsd in the rear, but other than that it's still a matter of sourcing the rest of the parts

~Sp33~
16-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Do you have a build thread on H-T?

Gio
17-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Whats the engine number for the 4WD civic?

stmotorsports
17-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Do you have a build thread on H-T?

me? I dont yet only because I've been focusing on the driveline build first rather than the car, I want to make sure I can get everything working the way I want before I even bother attempting to swap it all into a chassis

~Sp33~
17-12-2008, 12:40 PM
me? I dont yet only because I've been focusing on the driveline build first rather than the car, I want to make sure I can get everything working the way I want before I even bother attempting to swap it all into a chassis

Sounds thorough. Keep us updated!

Whats the engine number for the 4WD civic?

Depends on what model grade, though generally all the engines offered in the 4wd civic were also offered in the 2wd variants.

emanuera
31-01-2009, 05:24 PM
How we all doin?
Check this out

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Trailing%20Arms/Pics004.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Trailing%20Arms/Pics005.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Trailing%20Arms/Pics006.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Trailing%20Arms/Pics012.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WD%20Trailing%20Arms/Pics013.jpg

Yep 4WD EG/EK Civic rear trailing arms, straight from Honda Japan,
$1000 even. (Thats COST price,shipped to Australia)
Still miles to go yet..
"How many roads, must a man walk down"......... Stevie Wonder

dahon
31-01-2009, 06:12 PM
miles to go but your further along the road than you were before
nice work buddy!

nd55
31-01-2009, 07:07 PM
> $1000 even. (Thats COST price,shipped to Australia)

Emanuera, you got b$lls!!!!!

You are required to photograph and document this build or I will personally organise a lynch mob to come around and replace your civic with a Leyland P76....

Now for the serious bits.

What bearings/spindles/axles are needed? Whats the bore ID?

A quick look at the silver flange suggests the four holes are identical to a regular
fwd EK trailing arm.
Can we conclude the brakes on the 4wd version are the same as the brakes on the 2wd version?

The CR-V trailing arm has a VERY similar flange. Who's got pictures?

Nick.

Sexc86
31-01-2009, 07:27 PM
very very interested in the final product! keep it up mate!

nd55
31-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been oogling the pictures for a bit longer.

Doesn't the 2wd trailing arm have the LCA directly underneath the centre of the
spindle compared to the 4wd version?

Nick.

emanuera
01-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Beowolf of NZHondas posted these rear diff, driveshaft & subframe pics from his 4WD EG. Thank you :)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WDCivicreardiffsubframesus2.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WDCivicreardiffsubframesus3.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WDCivicreardiffsubframesus4.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WDCivicreardiffsubframesus5.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/emanuera/4WDCivicreardiffsubframesus.jpg

emanuera
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
>

What bearings/spindles/axles are needed? Whats the bore ID?

A quick look at the silver flange suggests the four holes are identical to a regular
fwd EK trailing arm.
Can we conclude the brakes on the 4wd version are the same as the brakes on the 2wd version?

The CR-V trailing arm has a VERY similar flange. Who's got pictures?

Nick.

Apparently there is not too much difference in the trailing arms for a 97-02 crv and 92-95 AWD civic. The AWD civic trailing arm has a one piece bearing retainer and the crv has a separate bearing.
I think the bearings on these trailing arms have a smaller bore diameter than that of the CR-V.

Could you possibly lathe down the civic bearing house and mount the crv bearing to the civic counterflange, Thus allowing you to use CR-V axles?

nd55
01-02-2009, 11:06 AM
> Thus allowing you to use CR-V axles?

CR-V axles are 36mm and you'd either have to convert the car to five lug, or use circuit worx hubs to keep 4x100 lug pattern.

I'd be more intested in seeing of the front bearing assemlby fits.

Second option is to source Wagovan bits, bit I have no idea as to details.

A very distant possibility is a Honda Beat. One of the few rear wheel drive Hondas made.
It had 4x100 hubs.

Nick.

trism
01-02-2009, 01:18 PM
this thread still wins

as soon as you make a build thread, you need to link here

~Sp33~
07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
...brakes on the 4wd version are the same as the brakes on the 2wd version?

Mine has larger drums then it's 2wd counterpart. I'd assume it would be the same for the EG.

The pictures of the 4wd eg up there show that it's practically running a wagovan drivetrain. Central Viscous coupler and non LSD rear dif, bolted in the same fashion to the rear subframe. I wouldn't be surprised if my car has the same part numbers as the EG sedan's 4wd system.

Goodluck on the progress.

nd55
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Sp33,

> Car: EF5 4wd sedan

Any chance you could post some pics of the rear drivetrain of this beastie?

While you're at it, could you grab a tape measure and record the axis of the trailing arm bushing to the axle?

Nick.

~Sp33~
08-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I got some pictures, I couldn't get under the car enough to take a descent picture sorry.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised2.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised1.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised3.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/IMG_1545.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised4.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised5.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised6.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised7.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/sp3ed3/Latest%20EF5/revised8.jpg

The measurement from the center of the bushing on the trailing arm to the axle was 44cm (roughly). It was pretty hard to get under there, but that's a pretty close measurement.

Sexc86
08-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow man! is this your car? or pictures you have takein from elsewhere

~Sp33~
08-02-2009, 11:05 PM
It's mine. I have a build/appearance thread on this site somewhere.

nd55
23-02-2009, 04:26 PM
emanuera,

any progress? We're all dying to know.

Just a few questions if you don't mind....

Could you get a measurement of the ID of the wheel hub bearing cup, please?
(Photo #4 of the trailing arm).

Could you confirm the the inside (of the trailing arm) is some sort of bearing race, or is just a trick of the eye?
(Photo #5 of the trailing arm).

Nick.

stmotorsports
28-02-2009, 02:56 PM
has anyone ever figured out if there was an oem lsd option in the newer b/k-series style rt4wd rear diff? I think it has been established that it was an option for the d-series rear but I havent heard anything like this for the b/k. If there is one available I will definitely be looking to pick one up

~Sp33~
28-02-2009, 06:15 PM
has anyone ever figured out if there was an oem lsd option in the newer b/k-series style rt4wd rear diff? I think it has been established that it was an option for the d-series rear but I havent heard anything like this for the b/k. If there is one available I will definitely be looking to pick one up

Nope, they all have that horrible dual pump actuated open rear dif, which is hopeless. Less hopeless though then the B series CRV 4wd system.

Fo55il
01-03-2009, 03:47 AM
is this project going down ?

stmotorsports
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
i'm still working on mine :shrug:

Sexc86
01-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Any progress?

emanuera
03-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Any progress?

Nah. not yet, not making enough money to do anything to my car:thumbdwn:. Trying to plan a wedding as well ( Rather be spending the $ on my car TBH!) so nothing yet but I have been in contact with Mike Stafford from Stafford Fabrication in California who fabricates bolt in engine conversion mounts for CR-V B20 and 4WD trans into EG Civic :thumbsup:
Cool thing is he deals with a workshop here in Aus so it's real easy to get them.
So when the time is right I can do more and as soon as I do OZHONDA will be the first to know.
- Also need to get my trailing arms shortened, still waiting on a reply from a friend who has shortened his for dimensions.
- I have a Civic 4x4 wagovan rear subframe lined up as well, might use this instead of the factory subframe to mount the rear diff.
I'll get back to Ya'll.
Thanks.
Take care.

emanuera
22-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey all. I've decided to pull the pin on this project. My situation has changed dramatically and it has forced me to end the dream, luckily I'm not yet beyond the point of no return. I've sold the shuttle subframe I had, but I'm trying to get rid of the fuel tank and trailing arms. They are going to be put on Ebay very soon. If anyone is interested in these parts, you can PM me and we'll discuss it.
Sorry for disappointing anyone, and flaming is welcome! :)

P.S. I have a 4x4 Shuttle spare parts source on the Gold coast if anyone is thinking of doing this conversion. I know they still have a trans and driveshaft and other stuff as well.

~Sp33~
22-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey all. I've decided to pull the pin on this project. My situation has changed dramatically and it has forced me to end the dream, luckily I'm not yet beyond the point of no return. I've sold the shuttle subframe I had, but I'm trying to get rid of the fuel tank and trailing arms. They are going to be put on Ebay very soon. If anyone is interested in these parts, you can PM me and we'll discuss it.
Sorry for disappointing anyone, and flaming is welcome! :)

P.S. I have a 4x4 Shuttle spare parts source on the Gold coast if anyone is thinking of doing this conversion. I know they still have a trans and driveshaft and other stuff as well.

Is it an INTRAC shuttle? I'd be interested in the LSD if it is.

emanuera
31-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Is it an INTRAC shuttle? I'd be interested in the LSD if it is.

Sorry for not replying. Sh*t's been f$%king hectic! I'll find out for you if it's an INTRAC shuttle, thats a good question. Due to the recession, I've lost my house :( and we're in with the inlaws, so I need to be realistic about what I can keep and what I can't. I'm just managing to hold on to my car. After begging my wife, I'm still allowed to keep my B20, but thats it.
Depressed as F*&K !!!!!

FastFwd
31-08-2009, 05:56 PM
man that doesnt sound good at all. I'm so glad it hasnt effected me to bad. Lost 100 thou on a block i just sold but considering its not to bad.

I'm new to this topic and i read through it all bit by bit this arvo and only to come to your sad ending which has also left me a little empty inside.

I've always wanted to 4wd my EG, ive completed everything i possibly can on my car and in a couple years when i have some more time in my life i will be doing this build.

So sad man, i hope things work out for ya.

~Sp33~
31-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Sorry for not replying. Sh*t's been f$%king hectic! I'll find out for you if it's an INTRAC shuttle, thats a good question. Due to the recession, I've lost my house :( and we're in with the inlaws, so I need to be realistic about what I can keep and what I can't. I'm just managing to hold on to my car. After begging my wife, I'm still allowed to keep my B20, but thats it.
Depressed as F*&K !!!!!

Hope things work out for you.