PDA

View Full Version : Colaborating the Voltages on the TPS

beeza
18-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been searching but can't find any info on how to do this?
Cheers.

Closed throttle = .46 Volts
Open throttle = 4.5 Volts?

beeza
18-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I found it :)
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f49/tps-voltage-239633/

http://hondaswap.com/~pills/obd1guide.html

- Get several feet of wire. At least 6ft to make life easy. Cut them into 6 1' pieces and strip the ends. Now twist 2 pieces of wire together. So now you have 3 2' wires with the ends stripped and a stripped spot in the middle.
- There are 3 wires/pins for the tps sensor. 2 outside wires are ground and 5v source. Middle wire is the return voltage on the tps.
- Remove the throttle body, and connect your new spliced wires to the pins on the tps sensor on the throttle body and the pins on the wiring harness.
- Now connect your multimeter to the 2 outside wires (easiest to do this at the stripped points in the middle of the wires). This will also show you which wire is ground and wich is 5v.
- Turn the ignition to on (but do not start the car).
- Verify that you have 5v going to the tps.
- Now connect the multimeter to ground and the middle wire to measure tps voltage.
- TPS sensor is held in place by 2 screws. Open the throttle rotor to WOT and keep rotating the sensor until you get the output shown on the multimeter to 4.5v.
- Tighten tps sensor down & adjust idle setting screw shown in the pic below. Adjust this until the idle reading on the tps is about 0.48-0.49v.
- Now double check that WOT & idle tps readings are correct and put it all back together.

Ok,after reading this for 45 minutes,I think I got it figured :)
Just 1 thing,it says 'remove throttle body' but is it necessary? I don't see why...

My TPS was riveted on but I replaced it so now it's screwed in and I think it needs the voltages to be set.

beeza
18-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Can I bump this benny :)

beeza
19-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Do I need to take the TB off?
bump.

beeza
21-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I asked my mechanic and he said you don't need to take off the TB.

JasonGilholme
21-08-2008, 12:25 PM
yeah man, doesn't sound like you need to.

As long as those wires don't short on the block/IM you'll be ok. :thumbsup:

beeza
21-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Great point Jase! Thank U,I'm sure that saved me a lot of troublr :/

It might be better to stick the probe on the multimeter in the TPS wire slots or a paperclip even and read the voltages off that?

JasonGilholme
21-08-2008, 12:40 PM
my multimeter has nice long tapered pointers on it to fit inside plugs to get readings. If yours doesn't then a paper clip of other similiar item should do the trick.

Anything that stops you from having to cut your loom is a good idea. :thumbsup:

beeza
21-08-2008, 12:41 PM
haha,Thanks Jase!

Electricals/multimeters...it's all newish to me but I'm figuring it out :)

JasonGilholme
21-08-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah its good fun, just be cautious of shorting things out and you'll be fine. (mainly due to exposed wires dangling/flicking around)

beeza
21-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Gotcha,cheers mate!