PDA

View Full Version : Instaling new valve springs

croatiaboi
18-08-2008, 06:03 PM
hey guys im looking to instal itr cams, valve springs n retainers into my b16a2but It seems like there isnt enough room 2 get a valve spring compressor in there because there are soo many valves n they are soo close together.

now the question
is there some tool that can be used to do this, or will the head need to come off?

dsp26
18-08-2008, 06:52 PM
honda specific...

http://www.buddyclub.us/buddyclub/cams/cams_valve-spring-changer.html
http://www.buddyclub.us/buddyclub/cams/w_img/Valve%20Spring%20Changer/001.jpg

need an air compressor also as that blue hose with the connector goes into the sparkplug hole to compress the cylinder and force the valves shut to prevent them from dropping

teh_mechanic
18-08-2008, 07:06 PM
wow, looks expensive.
anyone in qld got one? so croatiaboy can get his springs installed there.
i was gonna help him out but ive only got a conventional old spring compressor that wont work in this situation.

that buddyclub tool is pretty much the most impressive looking tool ever

dsp26
18-08-2008, 07:33 PM
wow, looks expensive.
anyone in qld got one? so croatiaboy can get his springs installed there.
i was gonna help him out but ive only got a conventional old spring compressor that wont work in this situation.

that buddyclub tool is pretty much the most impressive looking tool ever

lol.. i hate mentioning this place butt heres a no brand replica floating around eBay...

eBay + mass produced honda parts in the USA = FTMFW!!!!

you guys may as well take the head out.. excuse for a thinner head gasket.

croatiaboi
18-08-2008, 08:41 PM
would this be the one ur talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCHLEY-TOOLS-91400-Universal-Valve-Sping-Compressor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2 el1116QQitemZ330113981262

or this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/valve-spring-compressor-Honda-Acura-b18-b16-H22-VTEC_W0QQitemZ200246888984QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 200246888984&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

02gzm
18-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Try asking the guys down at hi-power racing if they have one or can point you in the right direction since they've probably done this kinda job a few times.

croatiaboi
23-08-2008, 01:33 PM
anyone else know if there is an easier way then taking the head off?

JasonGilholme
23-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Without taking the head off...

Getting the springs out shouldn't be to hard, theres a few DIY's on honda-tech which don't use a spring compressor for removal.

Install is a different story though, as you need to make sure you don't loose any keepers while youre at it (especially down any oil galleries - plenty of rags will help with this). I did find an interesting DIY on honda-tech where the guy put two zip ties around a few coils in the spring, compressed the spring in a vice and tightened the zip ties to keep the spring compressed. It actually worked. And then you just slide the spring over the valve, put the retainer on and clip in the keepers then cut the zip ties and bobs your auntie.

Sounds so simple but i'm sure there'd be a problem along the way. there always is with DIY. lol

Don't forget to stop the valves from dropping somehow. Either by compressing the cylinder with ai (100 ish PSI is apparently enough) or use the nylon rope technique (search honda-tech for this one)

I was gonna do it DIY but decided my money would be better spend on an LSD.

Good luck :thumbsup:

beeza
23-08-2008, 02:02 PM
sounds so simple but i'm sure there'd be a problem along the way. There always is with diy. Lol

ahmen to that brother! :(

dsp26
23-08-2008, 06:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/valve-spring-compressor-Honda-Acura-b18-b16-H22-VTEC_W0QQitemZ200246888984QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 200246888984&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

that's the one!!! hell cheap.. almost as quick with a ratchet.. but you need a tube and connector to plug into your spark plug well to compress the combustion chamber

dsp26
23-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I did find an interesting DIY on honda-tech where the guy put two zip ties around a few coils in the spring, compressed the spring in a vice and tightened the zip ties to keep the spring compressed. It actually worked. And then you just slide the spring over the valve, put the retainer on and clip in the keepers then cut the zip ties and bobs your auntie.
lol jase, i read all off that... he used a blow torch to burn the zip ties slowly.. allows em to stretch slowly and snap with little pressure...

cutting the zip tie on one side will send the retainer and keepers flying lol

ECU-MAN
25-08-2008, 09:16 AM
anyone else know if there is an easier way then taking the head off?

there is another way, but it is not easy.

put rope in the bore and wind up the crank shaft so the piston pushes the rope onto the valves. then use an oxygen sensor socket and wratchet to press on the valve while with your free hand you can use a magnet to lift the collets out.

this method takes ages when your putting the collets back in as its fiddly , best if you have some one to help you ( get them to do the pushing on the valve coz it hurts your hands after a while )

when you have done one cylinder pull the rope out and move on the the next cylinder.

dsp26
25-08-2008, 10:44 AM
^^^zomg lol. i'd rather pay someone to do it hahaha.. if we drop a valve from carelessness head off anyway

JasonGilholme
25-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, thats the nylon rope technique i mentioned.

croatiaboi
25-08-2008, 10:48 AM
hehe yea im starting to think just take the head off, save the trouble of trying to do it then having to take the head off in the end anyways

dsp26
25-08-2008, 10:53 AM
hehe yea im starting to think just take the head off, save the trouble of trying to do it then having to take the head off in the end anyways

going rate for R&R just for head is ~$300 and about another ~$600 to pull it apart and put it back together to spec tolerances + any machining.. may as well get the head shaved some.

I rang a few head places and they all said they cut the valve seats as policy or something...

port & polish is another $600... good but pointless (read waste, not to its full potential) unless you already have aftermarket intake mani and exhaust mani to port match against...

croatiaboi
25-08-2008, 11:02 AM
hahah damm didnt think it was that epensive, might have to start calling some workshops n get quotes off them to do it, been quoted a tad over 500 by 999 to instal the new valve springs and camshafts, might try some other places aswell. any suggestions?

dsp26
25-08-2008, 12:22 PM
hahah damm didnt think it was that epensive, might have to start calling some workshops n get quotes off them to do it, been quoted a tad over 500 by 999 to instal the new valve springs and camshafts, might try some other places aswell. any suggestions?

wasn't teh_mechanic helping you with head removal or something?

If you can pull the head off yourself and the parts and just bring the head along with the new parts to the head shop.. surely they'd charge less for just assembly and machinework...

it's easier to remove stuff than putting them back on coz of tolerances like valve lash, torque, etc....

Just remember to get new valve stem seals... Honda wants $8ea for them and you need 16... I got mine from the states for US$30 delivered for the set of 16 if your interested.

croatiaboi
25-08-2008, 01:00 PM
yeah i think he is :D

yeah $30 is cheap, im interested lol