PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Insurance

Gawdam
18-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey All,
Motorbike forums awesome... just having a good read.

Thought i'd start up a bit of discussion about insurance on bikes... it's probably the only factor thats stopping me from getting my lisence and a bike... (quoted around 4k full comp, for an RS125 :eek:)

No one has to share prices, but just wondering, if you want to share advice for newbies entering the market....
i.e. whether you have insurane or not? 3rd party? full comp?

Discuss :D
Cheers

Phantasm
18-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Insurance on bikes can be crazy expensive, especially for under 25s and full comp.
I was quoted a range of prices on my 750, between 3.5k to 7.5 for full comp.. im 23.
So im just going to do third party.
Can be pretty easy to make a mess of a bike or steal them, so dont blame them for there pricing.

rotor
19-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I'm not an under 25 but I've never had any insurance before - car or bike because it's been so expensive to start ...

Just bought a new bike and as it's in the "Likely to be stolen" bracket :) went looking for insurance .... every insurance price was over the 1,000 but e-bikeinsurance.com.au (http://www.ebikeinsurance.com.au/) was less than half that price - might be worth you having a look at.

As I said, I'm over 25 and don't know the prices for under 25 - but it is worth a look at

rotor

Zilli
19-08-2008, 08:15 AM
insuremyride.com.au

excellent prices and great coverage... DO IT

rotor
19-08-2008, 08:47 AM
"Insure my ride" was as dear as the rest when I quoted them they are a sub of Shannons ... maybe a little cheaper but no-where as cheap as e-bikeinsurance.com.au ..... go to both and get online quotes

Zilli
19-08-2008, 09:25 AM
if price is the only important factor for you then they may be your best option...

i would be very careful about understanding coverage, excesses and in general what you get for your money

rotor
19-08-2008, 10:11 AM
if price is the only important factor for you then they may be your best option...

i would be very careful about understanding coverage, excesses and in general what you get for your money

So how about enlightening me on the differences between these insurance companies then? What I'm going to get for the +$1,000 to the $450 ??

I'm interested to find out how much better your policy is than mine - you must have compared them to make such a statement ??

rotor

Gawdam
19-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Insurance on bikes can be crazy expensive, especially for under 25s and full comp.
I was quoted a range of prices on my 750, between 3.5k to 7.5 for full comp.. im 23.
So im just going to do third party.
Can be pretty easy to make a mess of a bike or steal them, so dont blame them for there pricing.

so what do all you other riders think... is it worth not getting full comp insurance on your first bike if you can't afford it... say a bike worth around 5k?
because it's almost inevitable for you to do damage to it... :(

Personally, if it was affordable (full comp), i'd jump straight into the market, but i couldn't afford even a 5k loss after an accident.. :confused:

Zilli
19-08-2008, 10:34 AM
with that sort of attitude you can go and find out yourself... im not here to blue with you kid... i couldnt give a rats arse whether you are covered or not, and i dont own an insurance company, so drop the ****ing attitude

however, with most insurance deals you need to look at what is offerred in terms of coverage not just price, but if you dont have the financial means to get a better value for money product, the dollar outlay is what is important, and you will always go for the cheapest product... to people like this i tend to recommend that you look back on the situation and understand whther you can actually afford to own the item you are insuring...Nothing wrong with wanting or needing to save money... but before you sign dotted lines its prudent that you understand what you are getting into.

Gawdam
19-08-2008, 10:41 AM
with that sort of attitude you can go and find out yourself... im not here to blue with you kid...

me??:confused:

rotor
19-08-2008, 10:46 AM
wrong side of the bed this morning I think .... ;)

Zilli
19-08-2008, 10:54 AM
nah not your Gawdam...

Thanks rotor, changed your tune very quickly i see...

good luck with it all

rotor
19-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Changed my tune .... you make me laugh .. and what tune was that may I ask ??

with that sort of attitude you can go and find out yourself... im not here to blue with you kid... i couldnt give a rats arse whether you are covered or not, and i dont own an insurance company, so drop the ****ing attitude

stamp your feet and be as rude as you like - I don't have an attitude, just a couple of questions ..... if you can't back your statements up without profanities and sticking your chest out then maybe you shouldn't bother in the first place ;) ... and yes, I can afford what I buy .... stupid statement - how else could I buy it ....

Zilli
19-08-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks mate... :wave:

laijer
22-08-2008, 10:35 PM
ding ding - round 1 is over, back to your corners :p

Some insurance policies don't cover your riding gear and depending on your riding gear, it could be just as expensive to replace them as the parts for your bike if you get into "trouble". My riding gear is about $2k worth, my bike is about $5000 (when its all put together) and insurance would cost me about $500 (if my bike was on the road).

When you're under 30, you will pay through the nose for insurance! At least get 3rd party if you can... better to have some cover than none at all.

And shop around and buillshit to the salesperson that you've been quoted X amount from XYZ insurance company and see if they can better it.

Zilli
23-08-2008, 10:06 AM
good points,

depending on the bike, and how your ride it (commuting vs. weekend) etc. you may get a better price...

FOr those who are interested, e-bike is written by an offshore company, and has hidden excesses. Also, take a look at the number of uninsured vs. insured events, and make sure you are comfortable with the conditions on each policy.

Also, i recently put all my insurance with Shannons, and found they give a fantastic deal. Im not one to worry about price that much rather than what i get personally, and if anyone is interested i would make the call. But beware, they actually check you out through some questions to make sure you are an "enthusiast" before they will offer insurance.

They also do bike insurance, and you will find that you get a good package price

What i find, and its not just because i work in the industry, insurance is an necessary evil, you really hope you never have to use it, but when you do you appreciate the cost, and really want to be sure you get exactly what you want. This is why i advise people that if they are going to buy something of value, and then want to scrimp on insurance and shop based on price, i advise against it... if you cant afford to get the right cover on your assets, then you cant afford the asset.... its like the idiot who buys an 80' rolls royce for what seems to be a great deal, then needs to park it for 6 months when you get fronted with a 15k bill to rebuild a gearbox...

use your brains people

FASN8U
23-08-2008, 01:59 PM
good points you bring up zili , but the amount of people i know who dont have insurance on there cars and bikes is crazy! i wouldnt even want my car sitting in my garage un-insured.

Zilli
23-08-2008, 02:12 PM
:-) i know, and ive seen many cases where and insurers needs to recover from an uninsured....

i suppose everyone has there own circumstances...

spoon_civ
25-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Definately need insurance. Had my 600 stolen and glad I had fully comprehensive insurance. Got a 1000 now, but insurance costing me 1.5k......... :'(