PDA

View Full Version : Brass button clutch!!!

butch_le
19-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I just bought a crx recently and it has a brass button clutch in it...
when im in low gears the clutch seems like its grinding against something...
its like a scrubing noise?
but when i pop the clutch back in, the noise goes away
is this normal? could it be the gearbox?

D16EK1
19-08-2008, 11:28 AM
for brass button clutches, it is normal to have a griding/scubing/rattling sound. and when you depress the clutch pedal the sound would go away because the clutch plate is locked inplace and when you put your foot down on the clutch pedal the sound would come back because the clutch is not locked therefore moving and rattling.

yes this is normal for button clutches

butch_le
19-08-2008, 11:51 AM
thanks that helps ease my mind, just bought the car a couple of days ago....
because im driving it, do u know if people can hear it outside of the car??? it sort of sounds loud when im driving

DLO01
19-08-2008, 12:03 PM
My clutch does not make any noises. Not that its a brass button, I have a ceramic button. Should not make a difference though.

What make/brand clutch is it?

When does it make a noise? When you push it down (disengage), or when your let it go up (engage)

D16EK1
19-08-2008, 12:12 PM
thanks that helps ease my mind, just bought the car a couple of days ago....
because im driving it, do u know if people can hear it outside of the car??? it sort of sounds loud when im driving

yeh people know when u have your clutch in from the outside because it is pretty loud outside as well.

imo your better off getting a normal clutch plate or an heavy duty one if your going to replace it in the near future.

butch_le
19-08-2008, 01:09 PM
My clutch does not make any noises. Not that its a brass button, I have a ceramic button. Should not make a difference though.

What make/brand clutch is it?

When does it make a noise? When you push it down (disengage), or when your let it go up (engage)

well when im driving normally.... it makes the noise while engaged... if i push it down, noise goes away... like a scrubbing noise a tyre would make against the gaurd... though not exactly
its loud when i back off if im in like second gear.
cant hear it anymore when in 4th though...... and dont think there is any noise while changing gears bcoz it doesnt make a noise when i have the clutch in
the guy said it was pretty new like 5-10,000 km ago

its a extreme clutch??? or thats where he got it done...

JasonGilholme
19-08-2008, 01:26 PM
sounds like an internal problem. Possibly a bearing on the way out??

does the sound go up with engine revs or vehicile speed??

butch_le
19-08-2008, 01:38 PM
sounds like an internal problem. Possibly a bearing on the way out??

does the sound go up with engine revs or vehicile speed??

nah i dont think so....
the loudest it has gotten is when im back off in second gear...
as i go faster, the more it goes away...... its like i can only hear it when im on low revs... but when im in cruzing speed above 50-60 u cant hear it at all

dsp26
19-08-2008, 01:44 PM
nah brass buttons are known to make the noise you described.. not very street/daily drive friendly.. i hope for your sake its a sprung clutch

butch_le
19-08-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah i dont think it is a sprung, just looked it up in another forum...
i dont know y the guy put it in.....
the car is pretty standard

dsp26
19-08-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah i dont think it is a sprung, just looked it up in another forum...
i dont know y the guy put it in.....
the car is pretty standard

coz he watches too much fast & furious.

unsprung brass button clutches are for pure race cars for drag strip duty that require extra clamping force (always a requirement for big grip clutches, fortunately we have hydro boxes they suck even more on cable boxes) in addition to full slicks and solid engine mounts, etc. they can also damage your gearbox on hard launches.

annoying thing also is i bet you chirp it here and there on slight take of coz of no friction point and instant clamp, people thing your 'hooning' straight up

DLO01
19-08-2008, 05:00 PM
So what is the reason behind brass buttons making this noise compared to anything else? Everything is engaged and clampped together (1 solid unit). Can't see how it would happen???

dumped echo
19-08-2008, 06:23 PM
My friend has an ORC clutch and it has the same 'problem' as D16EK1 mentioned. But your problem seems to be the opposite.
I guess it could be the release bearing, or possible clutch wasn't installed properly, like the studs around the circumference weren't torqued correctly or something.
You could take the gearbox off and have a look, if you have time.

DLO01
19-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Orc is different. It has an extra plate inside and vibrates when the clutch is disengaged.

aimre
19-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I have an exedy Brass Button in my silvia AND i had ont in my turbo EG.

None make any noise.

If it happens when moving, could be ur ISB. Can u hear the noise 'slow' down when u depress the pedal?

DLO01
20-08-2008, 06:33 AM
^^^ Yeh, agree. Should not make any noise when engaged. What is ISB Amire or am I just to slow this early in the morning?

ToOLx
20-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I have the Exedy Brass Button clutch installed, and can only hear the whirring noise with clutch pressed in. i.e unengaged

When it is all together and in gear no noise, although there really isn't that much room or friction point basically its either engaged or not engaged. But I like it :)

ISB > Input Shaft Bearing?

Edit: found this thread on google, perhaps you will find some relevance inside
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2297339

butch_le
20-08-2008, 09:17 AM
coz he watches too much fast & furious.

unsprung brass button clutches are for pure race cars for drag strip duty that require extra clamping force (always a requirement for big grip clutches, fortunately we have hydro boxes they suck even more on cable boxes) in addition to full slicks and solid engine mounts, etc. they can also damage your gearbox on hard launches.

annoying thing also is i bet you chirp it here and there on slight take of coz of no friction point and instant clamp, people thing your 'hooning' straight up

nah, im actually use to the clutch hey... plus there is a friction point. well i barely eva have a rough take off, just easing the clutch off abit longer.
really isnt that bad to use...

BUT i took it to my machanic to have a geeze, in the end, turns out it was the gearbox... not the clutch...
although the gears change good, its seems like its gonna be going if i dont change it in near future... plus i hate the noise its giving....

does anyone know anything about prices on second hand, new or recondition?
seeming that i have a brass button clutch, shoould i get a stronger gearbox?

butch_le
20-08-2008, 10:14 AM
been quoted 1000 to recondition that area only by mechanic....
nothing wrong with my gear changes....
honbits quoted me 1000 and exchange....
or 1550 for a reconditoned gearbox
good price or should i be looking elsewhere?

vinnY
20-08-2008, 11:31 AM
checkout what it is first
don't wanna pay $1k to find out all they've done is change the ISB or something

teh_mechanic
20-08-2008, 07:28 PM
i wrote a big reply, then my internet cut out while sending.....bitchin.
so to sum it up.
bearing noise (can sound like a tyre scrubbing like you described) can be either-
when clutch pedal is in = thrust bearing (does not require gearbox dissasembly)
when clutch pedal is out = input shaft bearing (requires gearbox dissasembly)

my bet is they are changing the isb.
you will be lucky to get change back from $800 at a workshop to do that.
i did one for $450 last month backyard styles including parts and oil
shop around.

to confirm it is the isb ---- listen for the noise while idling (if iyou cant really hear it at idle and only while driving then its probably not that badly worn yet, but anyway) listen for it, then press the clutch pedal in, the noise should go away because you have released the clutch pressure, which in turn releases the pressure thrust onto the input shaft bearing

dsp26
20-08-2008, 07:42 PM
So what is the reason behind brass buttons making this noise compared to anything else? Everything is engaged and clampped together (1 solid unit). Can't see how it would happen???

i'm probably way off.. was reading back on old threads in other forums that were getting troubleshooted with this issue... the brass buttons isntalled making the noise he described was due to insufficient clamping force from pressure plate... but the issues were still from brass button:confused:

i too have ceramic button but no issues... weird unless the brass is that such harder?

butch_le
21-08-2008, 12:41 AM
i wrote a big reply, then my internet cut out while sending.....bitchin.
so to sum it up.
bearing noise (can sound like a tyre scrubbing like you described) can be either-
when clutch pedal is in = thrust bearing (does not require gearbox dissasembly)
when clutch pedal is out = input shaft bearing (requires gearbox dissasembly)

my bet is they are changing the isb.
you will be lucky to get change back from $800 at a workshop to do that.
i did one for $450 last month backyard styles including parts and oil
shop around.

to confirm it is the isb ---- listen for the noise while idling (if iyou cant really hear it at idle and only while driving then its probably not that badly worn yet, but anyway) listen for it, then press the clutch pedal in, the noise should go away because you have released the clutch pressure, which in turn releases the pressure thrust onto the input shaft bearing

well it sort of makes a noise when the clutch is in (when the clutch is not in use) when rolling....
but very softly...
not compare to when im down shifting... it gets loud....
all the gears i have realise make that noise while they in use, however 4th gear makes less than noise than all the others....

i have heard the noise while idling b4...
but thats after the car has been driven abit...
dont think it has anything to do with the clutch anymore

butch_le
21-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I have an exedy Brass Button in my silvia AND i had ont in my turbo EG.

None make any noise.

If it happens when moving, could be ur ISB. Can u hear the noise 'slow' down when u depress the pedal?

its loudest when i let go of the accelarator and slowing down while in GEAR....
but when accelerating it does make the noise however not constant... but not in a pattern either

aimre
22-08-2008, 01:45 AM
^^^ Yeh, agree. Should not make any noise when engaged. What is ISB Amire or am I just to slow this early in the morning?

Input shaft bearing

aimre
22-08-2008, 01:46 AM
its loudest when i let go of the accelarator and slowing down while in GEAR....
but when accelerating it does make the noise however not constant... but not in a pattern either

Make noises when in neutral? When pressing and not pressing in neutral.

butch_le
22-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Make noises when in neutral? When pressing and not pressing in neutral.

well when the car been driven a little bit...
yeah.... but very slightly....

butch_le
22-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I have the Exedy Brass Button clutch installed, and can only hear the whirring noise with clutch pressed in. i.e unengaged

When it is all together and in gear no noise, although there really isn't that much room or friction point basically its either engaged or not engaged. But I like it :)

ISB > Input Shaft Bearing?

Edit: found this thread on google, perhaps you will find some relevance inside
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2297339

thanks for the help, i checked out the video in there but its not a rattle...
its more of a grind or scrub.... if u driving constant speed, it babrely makes the noise... if u accelerate slow or fast ir does it and when u back off as well...
the only way to prevent the noise is from putting it in neutral however its then is a very light noise..

butch_le
22-08-2008, 09:41 AM
http://car.justanswer.com/geo/cim3-grinding-noise-gear-box

just found this...
different car but seems to be the same problem...
however it does make a little noise in forth...

presuming that its is the input shaft bearing, is $1000 too much(quoted from a mechanic)?