PDA

View Full Version : so how do u tighten the handbrake

ndeuro_
19-08-2008, 06:35 PM
anyone know how to tighten the handbrake on the euro mt? come over n show me?

Crapdaz
19-08-2008, 07:08 PM
i want to find out too,
i know you can adjust it somewhere on the rear brakes where the piston is but how.

ndeuro_
19-08-2008, 08:41 PM
like i tried doing it. i saw the bolt thingie but i cant get to it with any tools cause the openings too small =[

SuiJin
19-08-2008, 08:43 PM
which part of the handbrake i think i over tightened mine before lol, bit hard to pull up :p but oh wells i'll loosen it later.

aaronng
19-08-2008, 08:48 PM
You don't adjust it at the rear caliper. The adjustment is underneath the centre armrest. You need to take out the shifter trim, the cupholder trim and then the armrest/compartment trim.

SuiJin
19-08-2008, 08:52 PM
haha its really simple :p don't try doing without removing the whole armrest. it'll b a bitch to get in under the carpet etc.

Crapdaz
19-08-2008, 09:54 PM
You don't adjust it at the rear caliper. The adjustment is underneath the centre armrest. You need to take out the shifter trim, the cupholder trim and then the armrest/compartment trim.
thanks saviour!!!
will readjust it sometime this weekend.

rambohung
19-08-2008, 11:24 PM
everytime when I have a service I ask Honda to tight it up. Depends on the technician, some did a very good job, some did not. Now I give up on asking to tight the handbreak up.

Crapdaz
20-08-2008, 07:32 AM
how far is your handbrake? mine pulls up about over 45deg from off/flat

aaronng
20-08-2008, 08:15 AM
everytime when I have a service I ask Honda to tight it up. Depends on the technician, some did a very good job, some did not. Now I give up on asking to tight the handbreak up.

THey are supposed to do it for you as part of the service without needing you to ask for it.

aaronng
20-08-2008, 08:16 AM
how far is your handbrake? mine pulls up about over 45deg from off/flat

Count the number of clicks. Specs is 7-8 clicks fully up tight.

Crapdaz
20-08-2008, 08:18 AM
yeh it's about that.

Rob_A
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
sorry to dig up an old thread. I did some adjusting on mine the other week when I had the console out to fit my iPod adaptor.

Had it really good only needing 2 clicks to hold car. Tonight trying however I now need to pull it up 9 or so clicks to hold the car on a slope. I rarely use the handbrake when I park

The cable was stretched hence it needing major adjusting, I'm just wondering if its moved back or its the fact my flat finds the need on flat level ground the rip the handbrake up as far as physically possible when he moves my car to get his out. If this is the case then I'll be annoyed as my cable is now stretched even more then what it was before from the previous owner having no idea

Anyone experienced something similar

Thanks in Advance

Rob

Crapdaz
09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
i'm not too sure but the euro handbrake is pretty weak on slopes, need around 8 average clicks normally before its fully engaged.

Cable is prob stretched from overtensioning it when pulled up, that's what happened after my TODA dyno, my e-brake cable got seized up and ended up driving it back to mates workshop with left rear caliper clamped and smoking.

power_of_dreams
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
I rarely use the handbrake when I park

:confused::confused::confused:

Crapdaz
10-07-2009, 07:42 AM
ROFLMAO!!!

Rob - do you put wheel to kerb or something?

Rob_A
10-07-2009, 07:42 AM

only in carparks really but at home very rarely. No need the gearbox can hold the car with no dramas.

We do the same at work in the work carpark with all the work cars.

Rob

Rob_A
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

Rob - do you put wheel to kerb or something?

no need to do that, in an auto that call it park for a reason and in a manual just put it in first or reverse depending which way the slope your on is facing.

My parents had the handbrake cable jam in the off position while we were on holidays years ago. all up 2 weeks with no handbrake and never was an issue.

This is the concept I'm currently trying to teach my flat mate. In our flat level garage he still finds the need to pull the handbrake up as far as physcially possible and wonders why his and mine handbrake cables are stretched.

Rob

power_of_dreams
10-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I have been using my handbrake on flat ground and have yet to have a stretched hb cable. I seriously doubt the advantages over not utilizing the HB.

Crapdaz
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
no need to do that, in an auto that call it park for a reason and in a manual just put it in first or reverse depending which way the slope your on is facing.

My parents had the handbrake cable jam in the off position while we were on holidays years ago. all up 2 weeks with no handbrake and never was an issue.

This is the concept I'm currently trying to teach my flat mate. In our flat level garage he still finds the need to pull the handbrake up as far as physcially possible and wonders why his and mine handbrake cables are stretched.

Rob

only problem is if the gearbox fails you'll have the handbrake to rely on.

Blame your bloody flat mate tell him it's his fault!! :)

Rob_A
10-07-2009, 08:37 PM

yeah I'll blame him for it.

Normal use i.e. not pulling the handbrake on excessively tight will not stretch the cable.

Think of a rubber band. stretch it over something that it fits well but not tight then double it over and see how much you distort the rubber band.

Mine was stretched by my previous owner, I tightened it again a month ago and its gotten stretched again. I'm thinking I won't bother adjusting it anymore. Don't fancy having it stretched anymore and don't want to replace the cable.

Rob

aaronng
10-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Handbrake will fail first before the gearbox on a car parked on a slope.

aaronng
10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
i'm not too sure but the euro handbrake is pretty weak on slopes, need around 8 average clicks normally before its fully engaged.

Cable is prob stretched from overtensioning it when pulled up, that's what happened after my TODA dyno, my e-brake cable got seized up and ended up driving it back to mates workshop with left rear caliper clamped and smoking.

Mine's six clicks to hold the car on flat ground. On a slope, the handbrake alone cannot hold the Euro stationary. The gearbox must be in 1st or reverse as per the user manual.

Crapdaz
10-07-2009, 09:59 PM
well anyhow i still use the gear method as rob mentioned.
my handbrake line has slightly smoothened out since last time at TODA.

aaronng
10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I just put in aftermarket pads and new rotors, and the hand brake is still shit. hahaha

Crapdaz
10-07-2009, 10:21 PM
that's what i found when i had the powerslot rotors and hawk pads in.
how are you dba rotors?

blk05gli
10-07-2009, 10:24 PM
its interesting that older cars with the rear drums had better handbrakes. it's hard to do handbrake flicks with the euro :-)

aaronng
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
that's what i found when i had the powerslot rotors and hawk pads in.
how are you dba rotors?

Rotors are fine. They don't contribute to performance anyway. Haven't tried out the cooling capabilities since they are still new and not run in yet. Pads are great. Lots of initial bite. My overheated hawk ceramics were just melting away. The fronts are almost gone (2mm), while the rears are perfect like new (8mm). LOL

tony1234
13-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Rotors are fine. They don't contribute to performance anyway. Haven't tried out the cooling capabilities since they are still new and not run in yet. Pads are great. Lots of initial bite. My overheated hawk ceramics were just melting away. The fronts are almost gone (2mm), while the rears are perfect like new (8mm). LOL
What pads are you running Aaron?