PDA

View Full Version : integra brakes

cris88
20-08-2008, 10:41 PM
heyy guyss,, couldnt find anything on this in past post,,,
thinking of puttin a b18c7 motor in eg civic,, for it to pass engineering cert does brakes need to be upgraded to integra brakes, which are 5 stud? stock?, or can it be jus be sum better performace brakes then stock,, cos chucking in integra brakes would mean troubles and hassles havin jus purchased new 4 stud rimss...

kcokla
20-08-2008, 11:43 PM
not 100% sure, however,
i would assume that you';d need breaks that are in the same grade as integra brakes or better than integrea brakes

dumped echo
21-08-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm doing the same swap as you and getting it engineered.

It really depends on your engineer. One engineer told me that to get the brakes engineered is often worse than getting the engine engineered as they do testing with stopping distances, etc. I went with the integra brakes as they're straight bolt on including the knuckle which my engineer said was the best thing to do. In your case you might want to look into upgrading the caliper from another honda and just get another disc to keep the 4x100 PCD. For example a friend of mine with an EK went with a prelude caliper. OR> The DC Integra VtiR's come with 4x100 stud pattern so that's a good option, but make sure your engineer will allow them to pass as obviously the VtiR has less power than the Type R.
Keep in mind that the engineer will look at the whole braking system. Front and rears as well as brake master cylinter and booster, so you'll want to grab those off an integra type R if possible (straight swap).

The best thing to do is to consult with your engineer first. Whoever you are getting to certify the swap will likely want to see the car before, during and after and if you consult with them early, they will tell you what they will and wont accept.

I hope that advice helped, and keep in mind that this was for VACC certificate in Victoria so depending where u are, there may be different rules.
Edit: I just saw another post by you saying you're in melbourne...so ....yeah=)

vampzzz
21-08-2008, 02:31 AM
ITR booster and MC
Slotted 282mm prelude 4x114.3 rotors and redrill them to 4x100
ITR calipers
Racing/high performance pads

that should be sufficient..

cris88
21-08-2008, 04:11 PM
ahh yehhh thanksss for the info guyss,, ill hav a chat wit engineerers etc.... that should make it really clear... :D

Limbo
21-08-2008, 04:18 PM
when i did my last engine conversion they never asked for it.
Also when i boosted my car they never asked about brake upgrade either.

dumped echo
21-08-2008, 07:38 PM
when i did my last engine conversion they never asked for it.
Also when i boosted my car they never asked about brake upgrade either.

It depends what engine you go from and go to. Some engineers said that you can do the swap, and may only need to upgrade brakes depending on the power increase. Breeze 1.3 carby to ITR 1.8 is a decent increase that will almost definitely necessitate the upgrade

bennjamin
21-08-2008, 07:50 PM
remember guys and girls , brakes as they are , are designed to pull up a full car load with full luggage in the boot too on a wet road. IE worst case scenario.
My point is your stock brakes will work fine , they just will overheat faster than a larger surface area pad and disc combo.

Look at EK4/DC2/DC4/EK1/EG6 front brakes , and the same booster+master cylinder.
dont worry about your rear brakes

GRU53M
22-08-2008, 07:01 AM
dont worry about your rear brakes

In some states you have to change the rear brakes, as in if you have rear drums they HAVE to be upgrade to disc brakes for rego / engineering certificate.

55EXX
22-08-2008, 12:04 PM
get some ek or eg rear discs easy done

dAzLr
23-08-2008, 03:20 PM
in nsw, you 'do not' need to upgrade the brakes or need an engineers certificate for rego if u put a 1.8L engine into a 1.3, 1.5 or 1.6 eg civic, upgrading the brakes however would be ideal with more power but for rego purposes it does not need to be done

fatboyz39
24-08-2008, 10:58 AM
in nsw, you 'do not' need to upgrade the brakes or need an engineers certificate for rego if u put a 1.8L engine into a 1.3, 1.5 or 1.6 eg civic, upgrading the brakes however would be ideal with more power but for rego purposes it does not need to be done

So your saying rego a 1.8L motor int oa 1.3L EG doesnt require a engineers report?

90LAN
24-08-2008, 11:07 AM
u would be mad not to change for brakes to suit the b18 u are putting in
i would spend the most amount of money u can spend on this area
after the conversion

cris88
24-08-2008, 06:38 PM
u would be mad not to change for brakes to suit the b18 u are putting in
i would spend the most amount of money u can spend on this area
after the conversion

haha yehh tru that,,, it would pretty much be death wish... lol

dynosaur
11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
ITR booster and MC
Slotted 282mm prelude 4x114.3 rotors and redrill them to 4x100
ITR calipers
Racing/high performance pads

that should be sufficient..

:confused:which year/model of prelude ?

vinnY
12-12-2008, 09:22 AM
92-96 vtec lude's

dba200 on the dba's website should give you the right part

paps02
26-12-2008, 12:24 PM
getting a h22a put into my ej8. what would be the best way to go with upgrading brakes??

can callipers be put from one car straight onto my stock rotors or does everything have to be upgraded (rotor, calliper, booster)

can anyone explain the process and costings i would be looking at?? or if my current stock brake setup be sufficient enough and just get a good set of brake pads???

vampzzz
27-12-2008, 04:34 AM
getting a h22a put into my ej8. what would be the best way to go with upgrading brakes??

can callipers be put from one car straight onto my stock rotors or does everything have to be upgraded (rotor, calliper, booster)

can anyone explain the process and costings i would be looking at?? or if my current stock brake setup be sufficient enough and just get a good set of brake pads???

upgrade your rear drums to disk brakes from ek4/em1, including the brake booster and master cylinder.

after you've done that, front slotted rotors and a good set of brake pads.

maybe even do the rears as well.

hope this helps ya mate.

paps02
29-12-2008, 03:57 PM
sounds like some $$ needs to be involved...

im not tracking the car so maybe dont need slotted rotors. and just upgrade booster and master cylinder and pads...

so what are some decent pads? i know endless is good. anything else?

02gzm
29-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Remember you'll need the handbrake cable to suit the new rear brakes as well

LiL FiLo
29-12-2008, 04:38 PM
sounds like some $$ needs to be involved...

im not tracking the car so maybe dont need slotted rotors. and just upgrade booster and master cylinder and pads...

so what are some decent pads? i know endless is good. anything else?

bendix ultimates -all you need

paps02
29-12-2008, 08:57 PM
^^ mate got those on his skyline last week. stops the car on a 5c piece

EK1.6LCIV
29-12-2008, 10:39 PM
you wont need the master cylinder Gorge, they'll run fine EJ8 one to EK4/EM1 rear brakes, but if it's near 200,000 or something the part gets changed anyhow and is pretty affordable.

and yes, Id go 5 stud for a b18cr engine, it just makes sense seeing as the stock car it comes with has that setup, also suspension should be the same and or better than a stock dc2r, look in the DOT road rules book and it clearly states that when an optional engine is put into the car, the car must also have the option engine brakes and suspension to be complied, says it all

(example B16 from an EM1/EK4 into EJ8, the EJ8 should have the EM1/EK4 suspension and braking system or better) my engineer would give a slip based on that criteria being correct

as for pads, OEM Honda will suffice your needs on the street

02gzm
30-12-2008, 01:05 PM
bendix ultimates -all you need

X2 These are great pads

90LAN
30-12-2008, 01:17 PM
X2 These are great pads

lol they are ok
endless ftw

02gzm
30-12-2008, 01:29 PM