PDA

View Full Version : radiator cap pressure

connorling
22-08-2008, 12:39 PM
i just got a spoon radiator cap, it says 1.3on it, my oem cap is 1.1, is it ok to put it on???? i know the ans will be no, but why all spoon and mugen cap are 1.3???? my one is JDM b18c

ECU-MAN
22-08-2008, 12:48 PM
just keep an eye on the overflow bottle cooant level and the level in the radioator from time to time.

if yo uhave any weak hoses, any extra pressure may cause them to leak.

but you should be ok

EK1.6LCIV
22-08-2008, 12:49 PM
What does the radiator cap do?

This has two main purposes. The first is to be the access point to which coolant can be added to the system and resealed afterwards. The second is to act as a pressure regulator, allowing pressure to build up and be maintained at a pre-determined setting, which increases the boiling point of the coolant.

so effectively your increasing the boiling point, its no big deal since changing mine to a Spoon one ages ago, it has made no difference whatso ever

connorling
22-08-2008, 01:00 PM
so u saying putting a higher one will increase the boiling pt of the coolent??? so it should be good to put a higher one right?

dsp26
22-08-2008, 01:16 PM
just keep an eye on the overflow bottle cooant level and the level in the radioator from time to time.

if yo uhave any weak hoses, any extra pressure may cause them to leak.

but you should be ok

yup.. ESPECIALLY if you have a minor leak at the water pump... makes it worse

dsp26
22-08-2008, 01:20 PM
so u saying putting a higher one will increase the boiling pt of the coolent??? so it should be good to put a higher one right?

exactly what it does but your daily driver will never get that far.. it has a major trade-off in terms of water system weakness.... but water will boil in your system as a result of air before the actual coolant boils... if your worried about overheating a low temp thermostat is a better alternative.

fortunately, because of the way honda thermos are designed, they seize OPEN.. theres this pin at the top thats weak, when the spring pressure gets too hard it bends that position pin and the actual closure doesn't seat properly.

IF your thermo seizes closed out of sheer bad luck and you have a 1.3bar cap.. expect to burst every weak point i your cooling system such as radiator end tanks and old hoses and water pump seals.

i have had this happen in another car.. ended up costing me $1500 to rebuild as a result of this unecesary part

beeza
22-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I heard something like a low temp thermostat will send your ECU into a cold idle loop or something,can't remember exactly ,because I had one to chuck in but opted against it after I read that.It was from a well respected person too.

DLO01
22-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeh, thats right. Cooler thermostat is not good for stock ecu street car. Ecu will never see normal opperating temp and will stay in cold start mode. ie not good.

A higher pressure radiator cap is good, as long as system is good and fine/hoses not perished etc.

dsp26
22-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I heard something like a low temp thermostat will send your ECU into a cold idle loop or something,can't remember exactly ,because I had one to chuck in but opted against it after I read that.It was from a well respected person too.

was told by a few people about that also...

i have the low temp thermo + low temp fan switch... temp was constant between 80-85*c confirmed by a water temp probe... in terms of stock gauge the only time it dips well below the usal near halfway mark is when i have my vents open and i'm on the motorway at night time.

from all my research and has been confirmed by others already cold idle loop more along the lines of 70*c or lower...

but in terms of the 1.3bar radiator cap.. i will never ever install one again unless i have the low temp thermostat.. and yes i have all 3 :p

for the prices i got em for (around $120 combined) it's more of an insurance against a paranoia i built up from a completely different car with cooling issues.. and yes i'm aware honda oem parts are pure awesomeness....

beeza
22-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Found it,'Transzex' on d-series.org says "if ECU doesn't see 168 F water temp, you'll always be in cold start loop, dumping fuel and not at full timing."
He very well respected on there.
From here (http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66404&highlight=low+temp+thermostat)

dsp26
22-08-2008, 08:30 PM
168*f = 75.5*c