PDA

View Full Version : Civic Questions

LORYDA
28-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys -- Sorry to bomb you guys again with "what should I do to my civic next" duhh type questions... but I really am caught inbetween a rock and a hard place. I drive a 97 Civic Vti Coupe (EX). I have just signed up to this forum... I am a regular at www.honda-tech.com which is a north American based site. Anyways... to the problem at hand. I am at a stage where I am (very) happy with my car on a cosmetic level. This was always my intention to have my car LOOKING hot before I have it GOING hot. Currently I have only cosmetic mods done as follows:
- 17 inch chromies
- Lowered (and I mean slammed.. 4.5 inches at the back, 3 inches at the front)
- 5% tints
- M3 Mirrors
- Huge sound system (dun wanna go into it)
- Vinyl interior

The list goes on....

Anyway, to stop beating around the bush, I've got a budget of around $5,000 to give the car some balls... Can some of you tech-heads give me some ideas about what to do? And in which order... And please... I'm open to all suggestions (especially engine swaps).. I have got some good connections for that shit.

Yours,
LORYDA

ian
28-09-2004, 12:41 PM
sounds good, personally with $5K i'd get a full exhaust system, air intake upgrade and s200 hondata ecu and that's it!

would luv to see it in person though..........so come along to the civic coupe cruise on fri 8 october so you can chat to other civic coupe owners and other honda owners too and get some more ideas.

LORYDA
28-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Ian - Nice... can never say no to a cruise. What time and where at ?? I got another mate with a hot type-r who would come 4 sure. Also -- how will the s200 chip improve performance ?? I thought ECUs are just good for fine tuning mods which have already been implemented. Thx!

SiR JDM
28-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Where bouts u from LORYDA?

I say Boost that bitch!... Maybe its my bias, but NA mods to a SOHC will never be as effective as it will for DOHC so i say just go the easy way and Forcefully Induct that sexy beaSt!!
Not sure wat turbo kit if any you'd get for 5k, but talk to Weq on the forums. He knows alot about turboing, he even turbo'd his vti (from memorie o.O?)

But if turbo isnt your thing... im with ian, go full on with that 5k.
Ie -
Full CAI (Cool air intake) with a nice pod (I have an apexi for sale btw ;)) anwyay..
4>2>1 Headers (brand pending the fatness of your wallet)
Hi flow cat
Full Cat back (n1 style?) with no resonators (or mayb 1 then ^_^)
A nice sounding but not restrictive muffler...
Then grab a microtech or hondata (imo stay away from emanage) and tune that baby

Your running d-series so parts like headers wont be as expensive.. Exhuast, id say 2" but im not big on SOHC vtecs so ill let others confirm.

That there is the i/h/e mods + tune and from dyno charts ive seen before/after it gives sifniciant increases to b16a, so id asume ur d16y5? should experience that same to a degree

ian
28-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Ian - Nice... can never say no to a cruise. What time and where at ?? I got another mate with a hot type-r who would come 4 sure. Also -- how will the s200 chip improve performance ?? I thought ECUs are just good for fine tuning mods which have already been implemented. Thx!
well, just like SirJDM said, it may be hard to extract much power with the simple mods i suggested........i forgot you've got a SOHC.

otherwise, you mentioned an engine swap! drop in a B18C.......someone here's done that and i've seen it go like a rocket!!! :thumbsup:

check out the events/outings forums.......dunno if you're in sydney tho, coz that's where i am.........9pm at homebush P6 next fri 8 october.

Weq
28-09-2004, 06:51 PM
i spent around 5k all up on my setup including insurance. i wouldnt do anything different personally, espically if its ur first turbo conversion. Otherwise i would recommend maybe something custom, with a T3 .48/60 as the centerpeice.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246652

is all the info on my setup. all u gotta do is take some time and patience to research and find some good deals. Our exhange rates arnt the best atm, but many items go for cheaper these days which has offset the cost.

civic_mods
30-09-2004, 10:07 AM
not much gain if u have a D16Y even u got full zhaust & CAI(tha's what already done on my car..... :cool: ),u will feel a different after u install those mods,but u still can't beat a stock B16A,so use that 5000 to find a good B16A and drop it in!!!

KB
30-09-2004, 10:49 AM
True that, with I/H/E mods wont yield massive amounts of power.

Either turbo (5K will give you a reliable turbo kit)
Engine swap (5K will be enough to do a quality conversion with a good engine.)

Although you have a 97 Coupe, so you can only put in an engine from a 97 car or newer, which could cost upwards of 3 - 3.5K + Install Cost. So IMO, I would Turbo because with 5K you could get a fully shiek kit!

BUt in the end of the day its your choice not ours.

LatinoHatchCrap
30-09-2004, 02:19 PM
5k to spend? easy...turbo+hondata+rotas+konishocks and king lows. You have yourself an awesome street car.

kEnsHi
30-09-2004, 03:27 PM
how much is a hondata chip?

Rowie
30-09-2004, 03:57 PM
best bet would be to send a private message to james - BLKCRX (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=92) on the forums for the s200 info.

badsector
27-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Just curious, how feasible would it be to drop a b series engine in a civic vti coupe (ex). Would the mounts have to be changed, etc? I'm looking at getting a civic coupe and doing a b18c engine conversion..

Baopham
27-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Just curious, how feasible would it be to drop a b series engine in a civic vti coupe (ex). Would the mounts have to be changed, etc? I'm looking at getting a civic coupe and doing a b18c engine conversion..
hey should have no problems.. i just had a b16 put into my eg... but im selling it now.. it was a straight swap/ no dramas.. and my next project is a type R eg sedan.. ive been having alook at it.. there should be no problems with putting a b18 into a ex.. if u have the front cut... it shoul dbe a straight swap no dramas..

luzinit
27-10-2004, 07:28 PM
5k to spend? easy...turbo+hondata+rotas+konishocks and king lows. You have yourself an awesome street car.

for 5k? DUDE TEACH ME HOW.
koni shocks+ kings = 1k, rotas = 800, hondata = 2k. thats almost 4k already! ;p