PDA

View Full Version : Air/Fuel Ratio gauge question

EUR003act
23-08-2008, 09:44 PM
hey guys,

i have CL9 euro, i purchased a A/F meter for it (if your following my K24Z1 built youll know why)... just wondering if i piggyback it off the stock O2 sensor, will it affect the ECU in anyway? i mean by adding resistance or anything...

if anyone has done this please feel free to jump in :)

cheers!

CRXer
23-08-2008, 09:51 PM
im not sure about the euros K24 but the DC5's run a current driven O2 sensor(id assume the euro would be the same),so u most likely wont be able to hook the gauge up without installing a seperate sensor.

if it is current driven,hooking up a voltage reading gauge will still drain off a little current & will not only read wrong but have a slight affect on what the ecu is seeing as well.

EUR003act
23-08-2008, 09:54 PM
im not sure about the euros K24 but the DC5's run a current driven O2 sensor(id assume the euro would be the same),so u most likely wont be able to hook the gauge up without installing a seperate sensor.

if it is current driven,hooking up a voltage reading gauge will still drain off a little current & will not only read wrong but have a slight affect on what the ecu is seeing as well.

cheers buddy! yeah its same sensor as DC5... thats the answer i needed to confirm suspicions...

ill get a third O2 sensor installed :p lol

or are there any you can buy that run off the four wire O2 sensors?

CRXer
23-08-2008, 10:16 PM
ive never seen a gauge to run off the stock sensor,it would most likely be too expensive to setup without having an affect on what the ecu is reading off it.U cant even replace the stock sensor because none of the aftermarket gear can replicate the stock current driven signal to keep the ecu happy.

your better off just getting a full wideband kit & installing it all seperately,in a seperate bung.

i dont know what gauge u got but ud have to make sure it is able to be calibrated to whatever the output is of the wideband u purchase or conversely have the ability to regraph the wideband to the gauge.

u can get innovate LC-1 widebands from the US for about $200-250 landed which u can reprogram to the gauge readings,this is the only one i have played with so u'll have to research the rest,even checkout some of the aussie stuff,it is quite good.

EDIT:if u mean the old 4wire narrowband O2's,dont waste your time.

dsp26
24-08-2008, 07:27 PM
EDIT:if u mean the old 4wire narrowband O2's,dont waste your time.

to elaborate on this point it's coz narrowbands are 0-1v only as opposed to wideband 0-5v...

the narrowband will only ever read lean/rich and it will just annoy you as it constantly shifts between the 2 points

and you can't simply replace the stocker with a wideband coz the ecu will shit itself trying to interpret wtf 2v-5v signals are supposed to be

CRXer
24-08-2008, 08:03 PM
a lot of widebands u can set to read what ever u want,so u can replace the stocker of a voltage driven sensor,u just have to reshape the output to read like a narrowband,ie pretty much switching high to low at 14.7 AF.

for example i had my wideband feeding onto a 0-1V gauge,so just had to adjust it to spit out linear 0-1V off the output.

EUR003act
24-08-2008, 08:10 PM
i brought the LC-1 kit :)

it looked sweet, and the data logging seemed like a nice feature for me...

thanks for your help! now i just gotta get the sensor welded in...

dumped echo
25-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Actually doesn't the DC5 run a wideband O2 sensor standard?

In any case, the air/fuel meter will only be effective with a wideband anyway. Running those gauges off a narrowband is useless almost.

EUR003act
26-08-2008, 11:57 AM
im guessing its best to get the new O2 snesor fitted after the headers but before the cat? like just infront/behind the stock forward O2 sensor...

aaronng
26-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, install it before the cat.

EUR003act
26-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, install it before the cat.

hehe just double checking :p