PDA

View Full Version : Have u checked your gen2 CRX rear subframe lately?

CRXer
23-08-2008, 10:26 PM
i know im the only gen2 owner on this site these days,but anyway all u other guys with rear subframe issues should get a kick outta this..........

:honda::thumbsup:
:honda::zip:
:honda::confused:
:honda::p
:honda::eek:
:honda::cool:
:honda::wave:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1492_1_1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1493_2_1.jpg

DLO01
23-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow! Whooly dooly. :eek:

How did your find that out? Looking under or felt something?

CRXer
23-08-2008, 10:33 PM
was seeing how my new 22mm sway was doing after a half hour drive of still feeling a little sloppy in the rear & thought.........hmmmmmm .........that looks a bit odd,i'll get under & have a closer look.

looks like it happened way before the new sway but

SHOGUNOVDDRK
23-08-2008, 10:41 PM
...****!

btw you're not the only 2G crx owner here :p

bennjamin
23-08-2008, 10:43 PM
wtf. a clean break straight down the middle. Bad previous repair job looks like it. Worked its way loose , or pulled into view by the new rear bar

CRXer
23-08-2008, 10:52 PM
its a clean break of the original member,no repairs evident,

maybe tying the the 2 strut tops together with the strut bar has introduced some more tension into this member,but it looks like it has just ripped clean apart & then twisted out of alignment about 10mm later on.

there is little to no gap vertically between the 2 pieces,one side has just dropped.

ah well,considering i did my best wakey time on a deflating rear tyre,we'll see if this can give me any more of an edge this time,it might work well with my blown shock & broken trailing arm bushes,lol

CRXer
23-08-2008, 10:54 PM
also,both control arm supports appear to be fine,it has just let go at this point,very thin section of metal indeed

fatboyz39
24-08-2008, 10:52 AM
are you gonna repair that ? Im sure you cant track it like that :S

bennjamin
24-08-2008, 11:13 AM
rofl. Its only his rear suspension components that may fall off. Ofcourse he gotta fix asap :D Makes the whiteline failures look minor in comparison !

Q_ball
24-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Gangsta... did that happen prior track day or after ?
If prior, damnz... lol, u still clocked a very decent time haha

Bludger
24-08-2008, 12:03 PM
looks bad

keep us updated with your repair

CRXer
24-08-2008, 12:20 PM
bandaid (re:lower arm bar) jimmy,lol,thats if i can find one in AUS this week.Im not missing trackday for nothing.The main problem seems to be tension,so if i just strap the control arms together it should hold up ok,car still feels decent on the street.Im fairly sure my front rotors are gonna crack in half before the rear end falls apart anyway,so........look out wakey sandpits........here i come:angel:

if i cant find a lower arm bar,i'll prob just drill out a bit of flat bar to suit,like an ASR setup.

by the looks of the corrosion on the joint Q,it looks like it happened before the last trackday,so big :thumbsup: to random sussy setups,i might see if hipower are interested in buying my design:p

as for the repair,it will prob have to go on a chassis jig after cutting out the section between the control arm mounts to check the alignment,then i'll just get a stronger section welded in,shouldnt be too difficult,the biggest bitch is,i swore last time i had the fuel tank out was gonna be the last........looks like its gonna be coming out again:(

EG30
24-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I was thinking of putting a big rear bar on my ED9 crx, I might just make do with a 18mm whiteline for now and hope my subframe doesnt rip in time...:eek:

CRXer
24-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I was thinking of putting a big rear bar on my ED9 crx, I might just make do with a 18mm whiteline for now and hope my subframe doesnt rip in time...:eek:

bear in mind,this car has spent its life on the stock 15mm bar.

prob more due to the fact of a lifetime of lowering,oversized wheels,rear strut bar & a coupla hundred k's on 18k rear springs

Dxs
24-08-2008, 06:40 PM
18k springs lol

was it a solid 22mm as well?

maybe overtightening of the tank bracket contributed?

CRXer
24-08-2008, 06:57 PM
18k springs lol

was it a solid 22mm as well?

maybe overtightening of the tank bracket contributed?

yep solid 22,but still not the cause,was only on for 30mins.

the tank straps are like hard rubber,but in any case they were retightened onto the original lock nut position.They are also mounted in the thicker gauge of the control arm supports which have not come away at all,its only the lighter section that has let go & has def let go in tension,not shear.

Snoop_gee
24-08-2008, 09:44 PM
u think that was bad..
check this... happened to a friend's CRX :eek:

EKVTIR-T
24-08-2008, 09:48 PM
shit look how thin that sheetmetal is!

lucky I'm selling my honda lol..

genkimashi
24-08-2008, 10:14 PM
WOW..... is tat a gen 2 or delsol ??

CRXer
24-08-2008, 10:19 PM
u think that was bad..

fark that!!!!

think i might put a brace across that point pronto...........

Snoop_gee
24-08-2008, 10:49 PM
WOW..... is tat a gen 2 or delsol ??
its agen2

would a gen3 actually look that dirty with the undercarriage :p

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-08-2008, 10:51 PM
LOL

Sounds like you guys need to take a trip to aldi and spend some money

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_5727.htm

Doubt its enough but thought it might be a good idea

dupac->
25-08-2008, 12:33 AM
thats terrible..

get the mig welder out with abit of black paint

haha

u sure did a good job of it !

A.C.S DRAG
25-08-2008, 12:23 PM
999 have skunk2 lower arm bar in stock.

i got a gen2 crx too. you should be posting this over at crxoz! :)

CRXer
25-08-2008, 01:11 PM
999 have skunk2 lower arm bar in stock.

i got a gen2 crx too. you should be posting this over at crxoz! :)

Yes,already spoken to 999 & they were the only ones to reply back,so :thumbsup: to them,seems some traders on this site dont like making money:confused:

I didnt want to scare the crxoz peeps too much,but i'll paste it over there if u suggest.

u think that was bad..

the more i look at that one,the more i want to ask,was it a gutter he hit & how fast was he going when he hit it?

Snoop_gee
25-08-2008, 01:25 PM
ye im led to believe its not the CRX that was @ fault but the driver himself.

stuff like that was shown in the pics just doesnt happen out of nowhere.

it realli has to come under that much pressure and strain weather thats the gutter or some other kind of object.

Snoop_gee
25-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes,already spoken to 999 & they were the only ones to reply back,so :thumbsup: to them,seems some traders on this site dont like making money:confused:

the traders on here only support the CIVIC its weird cause in the states CRX dominate the scene .

So when it comes to parts majority has to come from the states (U.S)

I did ask one of the traders on here and they simply said there is no demand for CRx :(

All the more reason for 1x trader should support aftermarket items for the ED and EF as no1 has stepped up!!!

Dxs
25-08-2008, 01:39 PM
there is no demand in AU with the crx snoop.. not many crx owners (crx is a rare car as it is) performance mod that hard, or want to spend big etc compared eg/dc etc

but anyway

anyone have a link of this skunk2 bar/brace?
i am just using an ebay tiebar with my rear LCA points.. i think that helps keep things stay in tact a little

A.C.S DRAG
25-08-2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.skunk2.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=518-05-0780

$160 if you bought at jambo

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-08-2008, 01:46 PM
:edit: Nevermind been done for me

CRXer
25-08-2008, 01:49 PM
there is no demand in AU with the crx snoop.. not many crx owners (crx is a rare car as it is) performance mod that hard, or want to spend big etc compared eg/dc etc

but anyway

anyone have a link of this skunk2 bar/brace?
i am just using an ebay tiebar with my rear LCA points.. i think that helps keep things stay in tact a little

i think any bar at all will ward off the problem i had,its such a thin member,it wouldnt take much to just keep it tied together to stop it overtensioning.

but anyway,just go to 999's skunk ad,he's doing them for $180+post atm,a little pricey for just a bar,but a nice quick easy solution that just bolts on.

A.C.S DRAG
25-08-2008, 01:53 PM
yeah ill be getting one too. buying a front traction bar first though.

Dxs
25-08-2008, 01:57 PM
i personally think skunk2 is a crappy company..
they are too market orientated instead of performance orientated.. Ie they make products that are in trend.. which are usually generic and chinese made.. but ok quality.. camber kits and coilovers and battery ties..

as i said.. i am running something like this: (ebay: rear tie bar crx)
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&satitle=rear+tie+bar+crx&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=rear+tie+bar+crx&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=3160&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

cheapest you can get them is around 60AUD landed..
now they are cheap and made in china (which i am against, because the product is only cheap at the cost of exploiting the environment and there workers... ie no laws to protect them).

but if the skunk2 is made in china too.. just save yourself 120bucks

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Well i see your logic there in saving money and the whole made in china thing but ive felt/heard nothing but good things from Skunk2 products (but thats just my experience)

Dxs
25-08-2008, 02:08 PM
yeah i said their quality is ok..
just that they make products based on what they think the market wants.. not on having a base car and finding flaws which need improving (like a lot of jap companies do).

but i will try not to hijack this thread

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-08-2008, 02:12 PM
but i will try not to hijack this thread

Same

Sorry OP

Dxs
25-08-2008, 02:18 PM
but anyway
i know people like pics

so here is my ebay rear tie on my 90 ef8 (i wonder if there was any revisions in the subframe)

http://i38.tinypic.com/k15suw.jpg

[BLISTK]
25-08-2008, 02:29 PM
ill have to invest in one of those

dsp26
25-08-2008, 02:41 PM
;1863010']ill have to invest in one of those
yeah their pertty cheap Adam & Jason.

I got my front+rear strut bar + lower arm bars for $145 shipped.. the strut bars are junk though.. the chassis supports bend so easily from chassis flex but those lower arm bars are solid.

can't get it welded Jason? maybe weld an asr brace on top of it? kill 2 birds with one stone?

CRXer
25-08-2008, 03:33 PM
like i said,i think any bar,no matter how crap(as longs as it basically holds together of course) will ward off this problem i had.Its not exactly a complex load,its just tying 2 mounting points together.

the car has obviously squatted down between the 2 control arm mounts,whether it was from one side or both,it has just pulled the member apart.it could of been from tying the 2 strut towers together at the top has transferred more load into the member that broke.the same thing will prob happen once the lower arm bar goes on,its just gonna transfer loads to somewhere else that it wasnt designed for,but hopefully whereever that point is it will be strong enough.

i needed a bar ASAP,so it was just easier for me to fork out the cash to the first supplier that put his hand up then spend my time searching the net for an alternative.Skunks quality does seem to be up to scratch,so i dont mind spending more for that aspect either.

dont worry ron,im gonna cut the whole section out & weld in a new stronger piece,the bar is only a bandaid to get me to wakey at such short notice.

Bludger
25-08-2008, 03:35 PM
maybe weld an asr brace on top of it? kill 2 birds with one stone?Top idea

one day I'm gettin underneath with my arc

hope it doesn't burn through

can't afford mig:p

dc2vtir
26-08-2008, 10:44 PM
woah what a coincidence, i checked mine today when i had my car jacked up and everything seemed fine

goodluck with this though, and dw im another gen2 owner and i know how it feels that not many people stock parts for CRX's

dsp26
27-08-2008, 08:43 AM
woah what a coincidence, i checked mine today when i had my car jacked up and everything seemed fine

goodluck with this though, and dw im another gen2 owner and i know how it feels that not many people stock parts for CRX's

i thought parts were interchangeable with ED/EF civics the way del sol eg2 are with eg civics and dc's:confused:

CRXer
27-08-2008, 10:06 AM
i thought parts were interchangeable with ED/EF civics the way del sol eg2 are with eg civics and dc's:confused:

theyre just basically saying ron that not many traders in AUS these days stock anything aftermarket for ED/EF,gotta continually go overseas for products,which isnt really a bad thing,usually a lot cheaper anyway.It is a shame to have to continually send our cash o/s though.........

dumped echo
27-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Seems like some of those tie bars are adjustable. Best to make sure its holding everything in the right position.
Are you sure you don't want to get it welded up before track day? Just seems like the damage is a bit extreme to track it on just a tie bar.
Can't you just like borrow a ASR brace to hold it in the right position, then whip out the mig or arc (borrow or hire one) and get at it.
Shouldn't take too long....and its definately peace of mind for the track

Bludger
27-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Seems like some of those tie bars are adjustable. Best to make sure its holding everything in the right position.
Are you sure you don't want to get it welded up before track day? Just seems like the damage is a bit extreme to track it on just a tie bar.
Can't you just like borrow a ASR brace to hold it in the right position, then whip out the mig or arc (borrow or hire one) and get at it.
Shouldn't take too long....and its definately peace of mind for the trackTrack junkie, just like any other kunkie, doesn't give a **** and just wants to go track, regardless of the consequence

A.C.S DRAG
27-08-2008, 03:55 PM
ASR doesnt make a brace for ED/F crx/civic

Bludger
27-08-2008, 05:23 PM
ghetto welding FTMFW

dumped echo
29-08-2008, 12:05 PM

I just mean get any sort of bar that will hold it in place while you weld it up. Shouldn't take long...and in the interest of safety....

Anyway keep us updated...its an interesting problem

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 12:08 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/k15suw.jpg

in that pic, is that the sway bar running along the subframe above the tie bar??

If so, how is it attached to the subframe?? or isn't it?

Cause the EG's have two D brackets that hole the sway bar to the subframe... That could make a difference.

bennjamin
30-08-2008, 09:07 PM
one option Jase is to weld on a EG or dc subframe. This lets you use a EG or DC swaybar and thus ASR kit. You may need to use EG/DC lower control arms too

Bludger
16-07-2009, 02:17 AM
ASR doesnt make a brace for ED/F crx/civicthey do now:p

check JDMyard

siR_Pjamaz
16-07-2009, 09:53 PM
hey dude.. im a gen 2 owner!! yeh these 20yr old cars are startin to get abit fragile aye.. lol. but i bought a BEAKS tie bar from jdm yard i think u should get 1 too, to strengthen the sub frame.. also the guys at jdm yard wer tellin me that they wer gona release a ed/ef rear subframe re-inforcement plate thingy's lol.. im not sure wat they'r called but this seem pretty good from strengthening.. but yeh u shud probly get ur 1 fixed or replaced asap. not safe.
cheerz good luck!..

CRXer
16-07-2009, 10:16 PM
fixed,lol

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1722_1_1.jpg

dont worry about me dude,i know whats safe & whats not.....

SlobberGoat
22-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Wheres your muffler?
;)

ps: what make is your crx's 22mm rear sway bar?

CRXer
22-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Wheres your muffler?
;)

ps: what make is your crx's 22mm rear sway bar?
muffler is on the end of the pipe,lol
just not in the regular gen2 spot.

sway is a selbys or whiteline or somethin...cant remember.....

JasonGilholme
22-07-2009, 07:51 AM
one option Jase is to weld on a EG or dc subframe. This lets you use a EG or DC swaybar and thus ASR kit. You may need to use EG/DC lower control arms too

have you got a write up for this?

I'm sure the gen 2 owners would be interested.

The del sol comes as EG/DC which is nice :thumbsup:

CRXer
22-07-2009, 01:37 PM
would be interesting to measure up the EG subframe ben as it does look similar & considering the gen2 subframe is a long discontinued part & hacking one out of a gen2 wreck seems to be the only option....

im even thinking,clamping the subframe with a sort of double ASR setup would be a cheaper option....
maybe its time to just roll this shell off to the wreckers & start again...

i highly doubt there would be any form of writeup out there,its not exactly an everyday mod.....

SlobberGoat
24-07-2009, 12:08 AM
sway is a selbys or whiteline or somethin...cant remember.....

It aint a whiteline as, last time i checked, their largest for an ED/EF was 18mm iirc.

EDracer
24-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey that really sucks dude. but good advise, im getting my CRX in a week, and i just got the ASR kit from Yonas to install, i dont want that happening to me lol. hope it works out for you

Snoop_gee
25-07-2009, 08:05 PM
are u sure

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62042

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/3719508567_9a374e3e64.jpg

Bludger
26-07-2009, 12:00 PM
are u sure

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62042

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/3719508567_9a374e3e64.jpghttp://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2355676&postcount=52

Hooman
26-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm going to check my sub frame now......

EDracer
28-07-2009, 01:43 PM
i was looking at ebay after this, and i found this product

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91-Civic-CRX-Strut-Bars-Tie-Bar-C-Pillar-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQha shZitem1c0ae48599QQitemZ120441832857QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

looks good. ive ordered it, will let you all know how it goes