PDA

View Full Version : Clutch fluid **pic added**

EK1.6LCIV
24-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Just doing my checks on the car, haven't checked the clutch reserve in awhile but I noticed earlier it was at the low point on the reserve, so I brought it up to mid point again. Where would be a good place for a leak to occur or is this just something that happens. Not to sure about it as all my old Nissan's never had a clutch reserve, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated (ie. rep point :cool:)

Sir_vtec
24-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Leaks can be found at the master cylinder. Just trace the lines.

Theres another clutch cylinder (not sure if thats the correct term), its found at the front of the gearbox with the clutch line linked to it you cant miss it. Check that one too by squeezing the rubber nip on it, and if u have fluid coming out then thats where ur leak is. Also if that is leaking, another way to know is if u have fluid along the bottom of ur gearbox.

Alexx
24-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Ryan, look in your footwell and up at where the clutch master cylinder comes through the firewall to the back of the pedal. More often than not, if its leaking, it will be leaking there.

Just get a new one and swap it over if it is. Ive had to do it on both my civics :(

EK1.6LCIV
24-08-2008, 09:07 PM
sounds like it Alexx, rep point added, some fluid seems to have dried up around the inlet of the hole, nothing on the carpet or on the firewall. You don't by chance know the part number for it or is it just called clutch master cylinder? It's a pretty strange arrangement imo, lol

EK1.6LCIV
24-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Leaks can be found at the master cylinder. Just trace the lines.

Theres another clutch cylinder (not sure if thats the correct term), its found at the front of the gearbox with the clutch line linked to it you cant miss it. Check that one too by squeezing the rubber nip on it, and if u have fluid coming out then thats where ur leak is. Also if that is leaking, another way to know is if u have fluid along the bottom of ur gearbox.

checked in the bay as you suggested, nothing there, seems to be just inside the firewall dried up, not much at all really but rep point added none the less

Cheers all :cool:

Alexx
24-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Nah sorry dont know the part number, but i just asked for a clutch master cylinder for my model car and he looked it up. the guy at taringa is pretty helpful really, even had an eg6 lip sent over from japan for me :D

its around 100 bux for the cylinder i think

Sir_vtec
24-08-2008, 09:12 PM
If you get it from a honda parts dealer, they got a whole data base with images. So just describe it.

EK1.6LCIV
24-08-2008, 09:25 PM
yea will do, looks like a good sat day job, I'll get it when I get the timing belt supplies, big service coming up may even do water pump now, lol

02gzm
25-08-2008, 01:38 AM
If you get it from a honda parts dealer, they got a whole data base with images. So just describe it.

Yea thats because half of them have no idea when it comes to parts. I remember asking southside honda for a 4 wire B-series o2 sensor at the start of the year. The guy didn't know what the hell i was talking about and kept asking for my engine and vin numbers to check on the computer. It took me 15 minutes to explain to him that it was an engine swap and that i hadn't made a mistake and written anything down wrong. When he finally understood it was a japanese engine he told me there's 12 different types of o2 sensors it could have been and that i'd have to pull it out to show him so he could find one... So i went and saw ivan and got a new one straight away.

Ok enough of a sidetrack :P I just had to do my master cylinder a few months ago too. It just seems to be a common thing to die.

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2008, 12:05 PM
yep it's died, and taking 200k to do is very good they said on the phone just a min ago, lol

I'm up for 70 odd bux for all of it, and a few hours of my time

Honda labour is now about the same as Porsche lol, no way would I ever go there lol

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2008, 09:33 PM
cheers for that :)

EK1.6LCIV
26-08-2008, 08:34 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/kwelrap/DSCF1779.jpg

this is what I see atm, plus if someone knows the part number or what that cracked piece is please do tell :)

02gzm
27-08-2008, 10:37 AM
yea your master cylinder is leaking alright. Dunno what that plastic bit is but it just looks to be the steering column cover i think, so it shouldn't be too much of a worry if it is. My eg doesn't even have one

EK1.6LCIV
27-08-2008, 11:55 AM
cheers for that Will, yea looks like a pain to get out imo, may just tape it up well

dumped echo
27-08-2008, 01:03 PM
yeah the black thing just covers the steering column. Easy to replace if u wanted to.

aaronng
27-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Duct tape. That is what Macgyver would do.

02gzm
27-08-2008, 04:53 PM
^^ dont forget the paperclip aaronng

EK1.6LCIV
27-08-2008, 07:34 PM
but with all of those two items we could build another car lol,

wouldn't mind knowing the part number, can't seem to find it anywhere. Otherwise I'll be at the wreckers getting one for next to nothing come the weekend, lol.

aaronng
27-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Even my Euro didn't have that plastic part.

EK1.6LCIV
28-08-2008, 12:13 PM
that's ok, my feet are nearly as big at Thorpe's and smaller than Shaq by at least 6 sizes lol

If anyones ever seen Shaq in real life his feet are huge! lol

mattchuej8
30-08-2008, 03:00 PM
must have a huge .. + is black.
LOL. sorry off topic.

i got same issue in my ej8.
farout. :(

allzilamon
30-08-2008, 03:09 PM
had the same isssue on my ek.
fixed it up, didnt take too long and only costed less than $100
shouldnt be too bad mate.