PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy making 'mechanical' noise

dsp26
24-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi all... dizzy's making a mechanical sorta noise.. guessing it's on it's way out?

Also touching the dizzy cap or the leads gives me a massive shock.. and i don't mean a static shock, like a big shock... twice today my heart actually hurt :( could only imagine those things they use in hospital...

dead/dying dizzy?

CRXer
24-08-2008, 09:09 PM
hahahha..........sorry for laughing......but welcome to a few thousand volts.

never touch a running ignition system,ask the NRMA guys how many times theyve been belted,btw,any indication of heart pain,worth going to the doc for a checkup,it can cause murmurs.

hows all the ground straps on the motor,including the VC strap?

dsp26
24-08-2008, 09:19 PM
hahahha..........sorry for laughing......but welcome to a few thousand volts.

never touch a running ignition system,ask the NRMA guys how many times theyve been belted,btw,any indication of heart pain,worth going to the doc for a checkup,it can cause murmurs.

hows all the ground straps on the motor,including the VC strap?

lol thanks you just reminded me. coz i took my valve cover off today for a respray hence the broken stud too...

bolted down the chassis ground over some paint... gonna go sand it off now and see how it goes... not that i'm keen to touch the ignition system again :/

not kidding though, it ****en hurt like i can't describe.. like a static shock x100!!!!

fatboyz39
24-08-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah i heard that yesterday.

dsp26
24-08-2008, 09:27 PM
yeah i heard that yesterday.

dead dizzy? not slotted into cams properly? don't sound right does it?

fatboyz39
24-08-2008, 09:31 PM
just teh bearing inside the dizzy.

Redlinemotorsport
25-08-2008, 03:30 PM
dizzy needs a rebuild.

beeza
25-08-2008, 04:07 PM
That's what mine could be...I'll post a video :)

dsp26
25-08-2008, 08:31 PM
dizzy needs a rebuild.
admitedly this is my first dizzy issue on any car i've owned...

this detrimental to performance? will it shit itself later to a point of mechanical failure?

i'm worried coz i'm looking at all my dynographs and i seem to have some sort of breakdown at high rpm from 7200rpm onwards.. really jagged lines.. but it's consistent between the graphs...

i've always known ignition failure to be randomly in the same spot, not exactly the same:confused:

bennjamin
25-08-2008, 08:33 PM
if its the bearing it will get worse then eventually serize. Look for RED/BROWN dust on teh inside of the dizzy cap.
Generally th bearing cannot be replaced , only a handful of good mechs will actually replace your singular bearing. Most will give you a reco'd unit for more $$$

dsp26
25-08-2008, 09:35 PM
if its the bearing it will get worse then eventually serize. Look for RED/BROWN dust on teh inside of the dizzy cap.
Generally th bearing cannot be replaced , only a handful of good mechs will actually replace your singular bearing. Most will give you a reco'd unit for more $$$

shit.. lucky i already have a source for ignition components.

thanks all.

oh and despite sanding off paint on vc where chassis grounds bolt to i still get a shock touching dizzy plastic.... something scrubbing inside right?

dsp26
25-08-2008, 09:48 PM
B18c / B16a dizzy interchangeable??

in other words, casting TD-42u and TD-44u swappable for OBD1?

vtek
25-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Does it sound like a cricket type noise? or bearing type noise? if so my recommendation is to replace the distrubitor housing keeping your ignitor/rotor buttons. NEVER BUY RECONDITIONED ONES AS THE BEARING TOLERANCES WILL NOT BE EXACT AND YOU CAN NOT BUY THE EXACT BEARINGS. You have been warned. A seized dizzy can cause the timing belt to snap.

dsp26
25-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Does it sound like a cricket type noise? or bearing type noise? if so my recommendation is to replace the distrubitor housing keeping your ignitor/rotor buttons. NEVER BUY RECONDITIONED ONES AS THE BEARING TOLERANCES WILL NOT BE EXACT AND YOU CAN NOT BUY THE EXACT BEARINGS. You have been warned. A seized dizzy can cause the timing belt to snap.

nuff said, just ordered a new one :thumbsup:

vtek
25-08-2008, 11:12 PM
One thing though get it double checked before you order it to make sure it is the dizzy.

dsp26
25-08-2008, 11:27 PM
One thing though get it double checked before you order it to make sure it is the dizzy.

better to be safe than sorry, ordered it anyway... confident it's nothing else in the head as it was only assembled a week ago.

shit though, i'm now going to have 3 brand spanking new ICMs...

beeza
26-08-2008, 10:30 AM
haha,your OD-ing on ICM's!!!

omgzilla
26-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Mine's on its way out too :(

Thanks guys, you've encouraged me to get something done before it's too late.