PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] Wheels Magazine New Road Test

SpeedBird
24-08-2008, 09:18 PM
The Wheels Magazine September 2008 Issue that comes out next Wednesday the 27th of August has an Australian road test between the Euro Luxury Navi Auto model in red and the now price reduced Mazda 6 Luxury sedan in auto model on the roads east of Melbourne.

I will let you read the article and post your opinions.:thumbsup:

Suntzu
24-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I have the mag as I have a subscription. Interesting article. Even though the euro has a substantive power advantage, in rolling starts the lower powered and lighter mazda is all over it...they make the valid point that the euro is peaky and needs a lot of revs where the mazda is more flexible through the rev range...I 100% agree though i have not driven the cu2 in this auto config.

Also i note the revised k24 has a 11.5 : 1 compression ratio but is still on 95 ron! Also the rev limit is much higher in the cu2.

The euro wins of course but its close they say.

LXRY
25-08-2008, 12:23 AM
you should use magazines likes this only as a guide. My opinion to anyone who is looking to buy a car is to browse through forum's like this one to get much more detailed information. ;)

Type R Positive
25-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Forums help with problems and stuff.... but owners are biased.

I know I brought my CL9 because of the mag reviews.

I wanted Teg type R, but the missus wouldn't let me get one. Something about not liking hatchbacks. :zip:
All the mags were raving about the Euro, and I saw it basically as a 4 door Integra, or as close to one as I was allowed to get. :cool:

rambohung
25-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I would love to see if someone come up with a track performace comparison between the stock CL9 vs CU2 :p

Type R Positive
25-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Hell yeah! My bet is on CU2, just because it handles so good.

aaronng
25-08-2008, 01:07 AM
I would love to see if someone come up with a track performace comparison between the stock CL9 vs CU2 :p

If you have a CU2, bring it to Wakefield. :)

I was going to buy the magazine for the article, til I read that they used an auto for the review.

tony1234
25-08-2008, 07:34 AM
If you have a CU2, bring it to Wakefield. :)

I was going to buy the magazine for the article, til I read that they used an auto for the review.
Need a review on the man.versions.I've heard that spring and shocks are softer on the lux.than the std.:thumbdwn:

Crapdaz
25-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Need a review on the man.versions.I've heard that spring and shocks are softer on the lux.than the std.:thumbdwn:
how sucky to find out the higher model would have softer susp.
would have thought they had firmer for sportier feel.

need to go test drive one myself to find out.

Type R Positive
25-08-2008, 08:06 AM
how sucky to find out the higher model would have softer susp.
would have thought they had firmer for sportier feel.
What, being the lux model?

boleh
25-08-2008, 08:43 AM
wheelbase

euro cu2: 2705mm
mazda6: 2725mm

why is the cu2 smaller and weighs more...

with 20cm shorter wheelbase, no wonder legroom feels tighter in the euro

Suntzu
25-08-2008, 08:48 AM
The only interesting thing from the article really is that even though the euro has a 15kw peak power advantage, in the AUTO its rolling performance is matched by the lower powered but more flexible Mazda. Because you rarely hit 7000rpm in an auto i suppose in normal driving.

Just goes to show how dyno figures dont necessarily relate to on road performance.

That being said an Manual CU2 would spank a Mazda6 manual i should hope.

One of the things ive been modding my cl9 for is improved on road flexibility and i have somewhat achieved this with my car so far.

SteveH
25-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I just ordered a 09 Accord Euro Luxury Navi after also looking at the Mazda 6. The engine in the 6 definitely feels like it has more mid range than the Euro, but the Euro feels like it wants to rev more.

The interior in the Euro is miles ahead of the 6 when comparing model on model and this is what swayed my decision in the end. There is more room in the 6, but the Euro has a much more upmarket and solid feeling than the 6.

clayton4115
25-08-2008, 10:06 AM
wheelbase

euro cu2: 2705mm
mazda6: 2725mm

why is the cu2 smaller and weighs more...

with 20cm shorter wheelbase, no wonder legroom feels tighter in the euro

you mean 2 cms not 20cms lol

Bobjones
25-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Drive both cars and the decision becomes blatantly clear....

If you want a quick car, go buy a turbo or V8 something, if you want something that is enjoyable to drive, luxurious, well built and economical, then the euro smashes the 6, the 6 was a noisy POS compared to the euro...magazines are a guide and all to often written by someone whom drives the car only for initial impressions, drive this car for a while and it grows on you, VERY quickly...

boleh
25-08-2008, 12:24 PM
you mean 2 cms not 20cms lol

just to show i failed math.. and hopefully i am not tasked with measuring anything in or around the house.. LOL

mleung
26-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Just read an article on drive.com as well they've confirmed the Luxary CU2 has softer suspension tune..... thats like WTF?

SteveH
26-08-2008, 11:30 AM
That is the first review I have seen where they say the suspension is softer in the Luxury models. It seems a bit strange that they would put the bigger tyres on the car and then soften the suspension. (Styling aside of course)

I read another article saying that the Luxury models have better roadholding than the basic model, so it seems to fly in the face of what Drive is saying.

I am just a little confused now.

Crapdaz
26-08-2008, 12:26 PM
maybe to keep the comfort.

aaronng
26-08-2008, 12:48 PM
That is the first review I have seen where they say the suspension is softer in the Luxury models. It seems a bit strange that they would put the bigger tyres on the car and then soften the suspension. (Styling aside of course)

I read another article saying that the Luxury models have better roadholding than the basic model, so it seems to fly in the face of what Drive is saying.

I am just a little confused now.
Lower profile tyres usually need softer suspension to compensate for road harshness. The lower the profile, you also have better roadholding because the tyre deflects less under side loads.

SteveH
26-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I had a look on the Wheelsmag website and they have an Accord Euro Luxury as a long term test car. In the monthly review, the reviewer says that the ride in the Luxury is firmer around town than the base model. Its all a bit confusing to me. Someone has even posted a comment under the review, pointing out the opinions on the ride differences from one reviewer to another.

I can't see any mention on the Honda website, or the new Euro brochures mentioning a different suspension tune for the different models. Can anyone find anything official from Honda that the suspension tune is different?

aaronng
27-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I just bought the magazine. The content in the magazine is different and much better than the one on the wheelsmag website.

leonr64
13-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi all (first post for me)...

There's another review of the new Euro (Luxury Navi auto) by Cameron McGavin in The Age today, but it doesn't appear to be on the Drive website yet for our non-Victorian members. (Is it also in the SMH today?)

He doesn't comment on the mysterious issue of whether the Luxury rides harder or softer than the standard Euro, but he seems to really like the car - gives it four stars out of five.

Not that I need his approval... Picked up my new standard Euro manual on Thursday (cobalt blue with custom leather, black with white stitching) and absolutely love it so far. Am about to take it for a drive down to Flinders on the Mornington Peninsula... The challenge will be to go slow around the curves, so that the boss doesn't complain, and the dog doesn't slide around on the back seat. :D