PDA

View Full Version : Cat is F***** lol

cvicek
25-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Ozhonda,

need some advise for getting a new cat for EK4.

engine got header, full exhaust system . just wondering is there any benefit running high flow cat?

thanks

trism
25-08-2008, 02:58 PM
"high flow" cat is marketing gimmick.

if you get a cat from a car with a bigger engine/more power etc it will be a "high flow" cat coz it will flow more than your stock cat.

for example. a mate of mine has a cat from a V6 commodore on his 4cyl corolla.

corolla makes a whole 70kw, commodore makes 160kw

that seems like a "high flow" to me.

and instead of paying $400 for one, he paid 20 bucks

beeza
25-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Good point Trism,as long as it's not too old...

Louis - Type S
25-08-2008, 04:48 PM
The inside of a Cat Converter is like a honey comb, they have many cells. More cells meens more density. Good after market cats have less cells to let exhaust gases pass through them alot easier therefore being "hi flow'". Simply replacing your stock cat with another stock cat from a more powerful vehicle might not do you any good. Both cats may be different in visual size but could both have the same core density/cells. Although replaceing your stock cat with another stock cat from a more powerful vehicle has been done before eg. S2000 or JDM Cats onto civics. But these cats have been proven to flow better as they are smaller/shorter and have a lesser core density. Not sure about any other car models so please feel free to fill us in. Alot of people use JDM cats on this forum, but if you are willing to pay you could get a "Metal Cat".

As for benefits, running a good hi flow cat will give you some gains (not heaps) with the mods you have. Not running a cat at all will give the best result but it is illegal. My choice is run a good hi flow cat and be good to the environment lol.
Knowledge is your friend so do abit of research on what cat is best for you and which one will suit your budget.

beeza
25-08-2008, 05:01 PM
That's what I bought,a metal cat,I wouldn't put a cat from a commodore or something in mine :)

cvicek
25-08-2008, 09:23 PM
hey guys, i found out that its not my cat that is F*** , there is a hole in my kakimoto exhaust... damn...

is the middle part of the pipe, just wondering can that be replace by just buying a new bolt on pipe

Louis - Type S
25-08-2008, 09:56 PM
how big is the hole

Louis - Type S
25-08-2008, 10:26 PM
if its a small hole, just take it your exhaust shop and they should be able to weld it up for you

beeza
26-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah,no use spending more money where it's not needed.Too many other things on the car to spend your money on.

cvicek
26-08-2008, 11:15 AM
the hole is not that big... thanks for the advise guys, might just take it into an exhaust shop and get it check out...

beeza
26-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah,he will be able to fix it real cheap I'm sure.

dumped echo
27-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah 15 mins on the hoist and should be fixed.