PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] funny noise from the engine when slow accelerate

eur001
25-08-2008, 06:28 PM
as title suggest, anyone having the same problem?? It produce clicking sound from the front during slow acceleration(low rev).. The sound is exactly similar to those old vehicle when they pick up speed after coming out from a corner (if you know what i mean).
My car is less than 1 week old...so not sure whether i shoud bring it back to dealer immediately or wait till my 1st service.
Pls advice....Thanks!

ps: i am loving this forum!!! :p

trevork86
25-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Wat model do you have?Manual or Auto?
if it's auto, then i've no idea
but if it's manual, probabley it's because you're using a higher gear when you're supposed to use the lower one. Say cornering, you used 3rd gear where more properly, you should egage in 2nd. The sound is from sychronizer as far as i'm concernded.

eur001
25-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Wat model do you have?Manual or Auto?
if it's auto, then i've no idea
but if it's manual, probabley it's because you're using a higher gear when you're supposed to use the lower one. Say cornering, you used 3rd gear where more properly, you should egage in 2nd. The sound is from sychronizer as far as i'm concernded.

i am driving the auto, lux sat nav.
The sound is exactly like what you said, its like in the wrong gear..
Hope its not a big problem.

Crapdaz
25-08-2008, 08:32 PM
have you tried using it in tiptronic?
and see if it still has that problem?

bennjamin
25-08-2008, 08:34 PM
what fuel are you using in your car ? use 98 RON please and see if that helps the issue

trevork86
25-08-2008, 08:55 PM
what fuel are you using in your car ? use 98 RON please and see if that helps the issue

Hi there ,

DIY KIng, bennjamin, i'm new to this forum and a real and rare rookie for mods. I'm gonna get a mugen short shifter kit which i have absolutely no idea how to install. In the forum there was a intruction like how to remove ash tray, centre consol, arm rest. etc. But now it's gone, pm ed arrong, he said it's not fixable becuase the pics where deleted. Can you help me out a litte bit?

Sorry, this post may not be revelavnt to the topic, and eur001, good luck and hope you can solve you problem at 1000km service.

bennjamin
25-08-2008, 08:58 PM
hello above - if the links are bad its up to the thread starter to re host them.
Unfortunately theres nothing We at Ozhonda can do but wait for the thread starter to fix it. Maybe try pm'img them about the pix ?

lets keep this on topic

unity
25-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Just wondering are you driving with the A/C or CC on? Is it the sound of the compressor kicking in?

aaronng
25-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I think it is just the way the engine sounds at low RPM. You need to show someone your car to listen to the engine.

hisoka
26-08-2008, 12:08 AM
do you know anyone else with the same car to check it out~

i bet the dealer gave you the salesman mobile number and all that and said bring it back if anything wrong~take it back when u have time and explain it to someone there~might not be any big issue but yer just incase aye~you cant sleep at night when u buy a new car and feel something is wrong

eur001
26-08-2008, 12:14 AM

The fuel is from dealer as my car only few days old. I think the dealer wont put anything other than 98 ron....

eur001
26-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Just wondering are you driving with the A/C or CC on? Is it the sound of the compressor kicking in?

No, i didnt turn on the aircon. Just normal driving..

aaronng
26-08-2008, 10:03 AM
The fuel is from dealer as my car only few days old. I think the dealer wont put anything other than 98 ron....

Dealers put in 95 RON. NEVER 98 RON.

Unless they said "full tank of premium fuel" in your contract, they might even put 91 RON!

Bobjones
26-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Well I filled up with 95 the other day and under light accelleration up hill I thought I heard a similar noise...

I doubt if it is audible engine knock/detonation, it may be incorrect gear selection and thus vibrational load from the gearbox/torque converter, it was pretty faint and I have only heard it once. I will be calling the dealership later in the week when I have a free moment to ask the question. I think it may be worthwhile contacting the dealership NOW and booking it in for its 1000km check up and noting the problem...

aaronng
26-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well I filled up with 95 the other day and under light accelleration up hill I thought I heard a similar noise...

I doubt if it is audible engine knock/detonation, it may be incorrect gear selection and thus vibrational load from the gearbox/torque converter, it was pretty faint and I have only heard it once. I will be calling the dealership later in the week when I have a free moment to ask the question. I think it may be worthwhile contacting the dealership NOW and booking it in for its 1000km check up and noting the problem...

Why don't you just top up the remaining 1/2 tank with 98 RON? If the problem goes away, then you will know that it was the petrol's fault.

Bobjones
26-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep I was going to try that, however, having built a few engines in my time I know detonation...and this was definitely not that...

eur001
28-08-2008, 06:29 PM
went back to dealer yesterday to get it test by technician. Clearly, the guy heard the noise. They said it "might" be due to the fuel...or else something else.. They suggest to put in other premium fuel and have a go again. They will do a proper check during 1k service if the noise still.
I guess will have to put in BP 98ron, as i cant find any mobil in Perth.

LXRY
28-08-2008, 06:57 PM
went back to dealer yesterday to get it test by technician. Clearly, the guy heard the noise. They said it "might" be due to the fuel...or else something else.. They suggest to put in other premium fuel and have a go again. They will do a proper check during 1k service if the noise still.
I guess will have to put in BP 98ron, as i cant find any mobil in Perth.

How can you get clicking noise from fuel under low acceleration ??

eur001
28-08-2008, 08:39 PM
How can you get clicking noise from fuel under low acceleration ??

Actually, thats very good question.. i asked them, but they cant give me any answer. They just asked me to try. Something to do with the engine when not using the right fuel.. Hopefully its a small problem.:(

Bobjones
29-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Under light acceleration or load, you can get detonation as there may not be sufficient fuel or fuel of sufficent octane to reduce knock, but to be audible the damage is already done. I did some tests on my car last night and its not engine as far as I can tell as it does not happen in N or P. I cannot locate the exact issue but I think it is closer to being gearbox related. I am running Ultimate, and have let service now as it goes in Monday for its first check. I will not be accepting bullshit excuses...

eur001
29-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Under light acceleration or load, you can get detonation as there may not be sufficient fuel or fuel of sufficent octane to reduce knock, but to be audible the damage is already done. I did some tests on my car last night and its not engine as far as I can tell as it does not happen in N or P. I cannot locate the exact issue but I think it is closer to being gearbox related. I am running Ultimate, and have let service now as it goes in Monday for its first check. I will not be accepting bullshit excuses...

Please let me know what they said and whether they solve your problem. Thanks!!!

Bobjones
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Car is in today mate, and the first thing they said was, are you running 95, to which I politely replied, well actually its running 98, and combined with the fact that if it is audible and fuel related then the damage has been done (audible detonation means it is extemely bad) to which they replied, unsure what it could be, to which I replied, lucky there is a warranty then...

Get it back at 3pm so should find out then...

Type R Positive
01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I have tried to replicate what you guys are getting, nothing.
Even when taking off in 2nd or 3rd. Slow, medium, or fast take offs from stand still, doesn't matter. Nothing.

Must be an auto thing? The yanks have reported this issue with auto as well:
http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684180

eur001
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Car is in today mate, and the first thing they said was, are you running 95, to which I politely replied, well actually its running 98, and combined with the fact that if it is audible and fuel related then the damage has been done (audible detonation means it is extemely bad) to which they replied, unsure what it could be, to which I replied, lucky there is a warranty then...

Get it back at 3pm so should find out then...

I made a complaint to the service manager this morning. They said they will bring it up to Honda Aust and see whats the explaination.

tron07
01-09-2008, 04:20 PM

they can be a cheap ass and put in cheap fuel... quickly fill with 98 to bring the octane level up

Bobjones
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
OK got the car back and its NOT doing it anymore...unsure what the hell they did but its not doing it. The sheet says "rattle noise may be cause by not using premium fuel. Vehicle should only use premium unleaded. Road Test Vehicle - ALL OK".

Well time will tell wether it comes back, but its had two tanks of 98 in it now, and yes I argued with the "tech" and he said if it continues bring it back and they might have to take some timing out of it...bit of a worry, why don't I just retard it a bit myself then...stuff the V-tec and the computers, out comes the timing light and the socket set...

Anyway, getting tint done Friday in a darkish colour...maybe that will make the car feel better..lol

aaronng
01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
stuff the V-tec and the computers, out comes the timing light and the socket set...

Can't do that because the Euro doesn't have a distributor...

Type R Positive
01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Anyway, getting tint done Friday in a darkish colour...maybe that will make the car feel better..lol
Make sure you tell them to take the parcel tray out! Don't forget......

Bobjones
02-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Can't do that because the Euro doesn't have a distributor...

Twas a joke...sorry need to use the LOL and :D etc

You can still adjust the timing though...

aaronng
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Twas a joke...sorry need to use the LOL and :D etc

You can still adjust the timing though...
All good. :D
Can you adjust the timing? Ignition timing has to be changed through the ECU, so maybe by using an interceptor box?

eur001
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
OK got the car back and its NOT doing it anymore...unsure what the hell they did but its not doing it. The sheet says "rattle noise may be cause by not using premium fuel. Vehicle should only use premium unleaded. Road Test Vehicle - ALL OK".

Well time will tell wether it comes back, but its had two tanks of 98 in it now, and yes I argued with the "tech" and he said if it continues bring it back and they might have to take some timing out of it...bit of a worry, why don't I just retard it a bit myself then...stuff the V-tec and the computers, out comes the timing light and the socket set...

Good for you mate!! Now, its my turn to get that solve.
For your window tint, like what typeR said...get them to tint the whole rear screen.
I have some pictures in my previous post for your reference.
Thanks!

SPQR
02-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Might have a dud knock sensor. Given the higher compression ratio of the CU2, having a fully functioning knock sensor is very important.

eur001
05-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Sent my car for service today. They told me they reset all the system and tuned the car again to remove the noise. They also told me they check again and again carefully....HOWEVER, 5 minutes after i took my car, the noise came back!!!! Although not as obvious as before, but it still there.
I will call them tomorrow to give them the shit! Dont know what else i can do :(

Bobjones
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Get them to reset everything again and maybe flush the fuel system inlcuding replacing the fuel filter, thats my only suggestion. To me it sounds like gear box and NOT engine. Like in an old Diahatsu Charage Auto under light acceleration you get the noise through the torque converter??

got the car tinted and the guy did the whole rear screen, he has done a few of my cars to date. I went with 3m darkest legal cause its a lease, I did have my eye on the 20% film though which I should have done for the rear due to the gay light coloured parcel shelf.

eur001
07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Get them to reset everything again and maybe flush the fuel system inlcuding replacing the fuel filter, thats my only suggestion. To me it sounds like gear box and NOT engine. Like in an old Diahatsu Charage Auto under light acceleration you get the noise through the torque converter??

got the car tinted and the guy did the whole rear screen, he has done a few of my cars to date. I went with 3m darkest legal cause its a lease, I did have my eye on the 20% film though which I should have done for the rear due to the gay light coloured parcel shelf.

so i guess your car is ok now. No more funny sound at all??
I agreed with you...its not the fuel.
Just hope that they will solve my problem soon. :(

Bobjones
08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
OK it was all good for a while however its back, and its back just before a change up in gear and just after. Its definitely gear box and not engine, it definitely sounds like torque converter and not "pinging or rattle due to not using premium fuel". I am about a pffteenth from a letter to Honda Australia especially after the disorganised and stupid service people who booked my car in today but actually did not, then did not order the parts cause they cannot get them and thus I believe they have removed them from another vehicle ready for delivery...rather bad in my books, good up until you get the car then its been downhill since...seems I just got my questionnaire in the post today...time to let my mind loose...

So how did you go Eur001???

Bobjones
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Alrighty, another update, car now idles a little funny in gear and as such it will be going into Honda on Monday to have the car looked at, I need a loaner so I have to wait until then, its amazing how more helpful they are when you talk DIRECTLY to the Service Manager and not the half wit front desk bird...

eur001
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Alrighty, another update, car now idles a little funny in gear and as such it will be going into Honda on Monday to have the car looked at, I need a loaner so I have to wait until then, its amazing how more helpful they are when you talk DIRECTLY to the Service Manager and not the half wit front desk bird...

My car still have the sound, but not so obvious now.
Called them again, but the guy said its probably due to fuel. HE also said one of the Honda manager in brisbane has the same problem. However, the sound disappear after a few tank of 98 fuel. Therefore, he asked me to try few more tank. :thumbdwn:

LXRY
11-09-2008, 06:16 PM
My car still have the sound, but not so obvious now.
Called them again, but the guy said its probably due to fuel. HE also said one of the Honda manager in brisbane has the same problem. However, the sound disappear after a few tank of 98 fuel. Therefore, he asked me to try few more tank. :thumbdwn:

Don't let them fool you......can't be fuel !!
LOGIC

bk212
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi guys, I have CU2 Lux auto and think I have the same issue. Mine sounds more like a rattle than a click if that makes sense - like the old "tappet rattling" cars of years gone by. Not an attractive noise in a $45k car. eur001, can I ask which dealer you took your car to? I work in Perth and want to take mine in to Honda North.

eur001
13-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi guys, I have CU2 Lux auto and think I have the same issue. Mine sounds more like a rattle than a click if that makes sense - like the old "tappet rattling" cars of years gone by. Not an attractive noise in a $45k car. eur001, can I ask which dealer you took your car to? I work in Perth and want to take mine in to Honda North.

I took it to Burswood Honda. Please make sure you get them to check the sound and get them to report it to Honda Australia. If you have any sucess story after your service, please share with all of us.
Thanks!!

LXRY
13-09-2008, 06:23 AM
this is the problem with honda aust they just tools they know nothing. All information gets relayed back to honda japan then they tell these stooges here at honda aust what to do. Best thing that can happen is other owner suffer same symptom's then they will act but if it's only a few well they will convince you that noting wrong with your car and that's a characteristic of the vehicle and they all do this

This is a policy of honda if it works even if it makes noises this is not warranty issue

Welcome to the new age honda of tomorrow ppl

SPQR
13-09-2008, 09:13 PM
this is the problem with honda aust they just tools they know nothing. All information gets relayed back to honda japan then they tell these stooges here at honda aust what to do. Best thing that can happen is other owner suffer same symptom's then they will act but if it's only a few well they will convince you that noting wrong with your car and that's a characteristic of the vehicle and they all do this

This is a policy of honda if it works even if it makes noises this is not warranty issue

So true of all car makes;not just Honda. I used to get the same crap from Subaru. That Japanese cars are reliable is to say they are more reliable than Oz made and European made cars but Japanese cars also have their faults. Reliability is a myth.

The X Man
13-09-2008, 11:43 PM
this is the problem with honda aust they just tools they know nothing.

Never a truer word spoken, couldn't agree more.

eur001
15-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Hi there,
Have you got your car checked?? Any good news to share with us??
The reply i got so far is that the dealer is waiting for Honda Australia to give them some directions. They cant and not going to do anything now. :(

bk212
17-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Haven't had a chance to take it in yet. It's actually not bugging me that much at the moment, seems to be improving a bit. I may wait until next service but will post on here if any news.

Type R Positive
25-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Have you boys tried different gearbox oil?

dwn_boi
25-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I had a wierd ticking in my prelude, similar to what was mentioned, turned out to be my harmonic balancer in the process of falling off >_<"

Bobjones
26-09-2008, 07:52 AM
As it stands the car is still making the noise. I was kindly sent the purchase questionnaire from Honda Australia. I have included in that a 2 page typed letter explaining the situation along with, in my opinion, the lack of care, knowledge and willingness to sort the problem on a car that should not have this for the price paid, its not a Hyundai though I am beginning to wonder.

The car has had several tanks of 98 now and it gets worse the longer things go, it now does it maintaining 60 on a flat road and even more so up hills, taking off from lights under normal acceleration (ie keeping up with everyone else).

This is especially good when the "technician" and I use that term loosely could only hear the noise when the car was half cold...though I can hear it all the time, must be my superman hearing I guess...and the solution...wait for it...don't baby the car but don't thrash it and see how it goes...

To say that I am over it is an understatement, I will be contacting Honda Australia next week if I have not heard anything as I am somewhat appalled, the reason I bought the Honda was its relatively good reputation for build quality and drivetrain quality over the likes of Subaru and Toyota, but I am beginning to wonder...maybe I should have bought the Subbie after all...

Bobjones
26-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Type R yes have considered the gearbox oil, but I will not touch anything on the car due to the disclaimers, clauses and everything else included in the warranty information...not worth even opening the bonnet...

jckidz
26-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm driving a 2007 civic auto and whenever I use 91ron fuel, there is a rattling (more like clicking) for a few seconds when I accelerate slowly. More noticeable if I'm going up a hill after a stop. From what I know, alot of 8th gen Civic auto is having the same problem aswell. I went to my dealer the first time and to a different honda dealer the second time and had my car thoroughly checked for timing, such and such, and they couldn't find the problem. The only suggestion they made was to fill up with 98ron petrol as the problem dissapears after using premium petrol. << all this happens before I had my 20k service..

However, after I had my 20k service, the dealer used a different brand of engine oil (I think its a Honda premium oil) and the problem dissapears. My car used to have a Castrol oil when the problem occurs. I'm happily using 91ron petrol now whenever 98ron is too expensive.. lol

Hope this helps..

eur001
26-09-2008, 12:11 PM
As it stands the car is still making the noise. I was kindly sent the purchase questionnaire from Honda Australia. I have included in that a 2 page typed letter explaining the situation along with, in my opinion, the lack of care, knowledge and willingness to sort the problem on a car that should not have this for the price paid, its not a Hyundai though I am beginning to wonder.

The car has had several tanks of 98 now and it gets worse the longer things go, it now does it maintaining 60 on a flat road and even more so up hills, taking off from lights under normal acceleration (ie keeping up with everyone else).

This is especially good when the "technician" and I use that term loosely could only hear the noise when the car was half cold...though I can hear it all the time, must be my superman hearing I guess...and the solution...wait for it...don't baby the car but don't thrash it and see how it goes...

To say that I am over it is an understatement, I will be contacting Honda Australia next week if I have not heard anything as I am somewhat appalled, the reason I bought the Honda was its relatively good reputation for build quality and drivetrain quality over the likes of Subaru and Toyota, but I am beginning to wonder...maybe I should have bought the Subbie after all...

Well said, mate!!
Afterall, Honda is not that far ahead from others. I will have to think about it again if i change my car next time. This is my 1st Honda, but its not a very good experience so far.
My car still the same after few tanks of 98ron. Spoken to dealer, they said they are waiting for Honda Australia to get back to them. When i called up Honda Australia, they asked me to go back to dealer. Any issue has to come from Dealer. They all should play in the grand final....great handballing!!!!
I am not sure what other options we got. Fortunately, i know 1 owner from Sydney called Honda Japan to complain about the situation here. His car is being investigate by a "special" technician from Melbourne under the instruction from Japan. I am still waiting for his reply. Will keep everyone up to date.
Like what you said, with the price and reputation, i dont think we deserve this sort of treatment from Honda Australia!!!!!

VTECJimStar
26-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Well all this seems to cap it off for me.
Very poor trade in price offer. Strange noise problem that Honda seems to be marking time on. (None of the dealers that sit on these forums seem to be making any confirmation or denial). All means no new Honda for me. Maybe like a few otheres I will wait for the next refresh, maybe they will trim off some of the weight and big body look which I am not exactly thrilled about. Maybe the steering feel and now this strange noise will get sorted out. Seems odd tho this is a worldwide car not just for here in Oz.

Shame I really like Honda but this is all leaving me pretty cold to the car and company at the moment.

eur001
30-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Well all this seems to cap it off for me.
Very poor trade in price offer. Strange noise problem that Honda seems to be marking time on. (None of the dealers that sit on these forums seem to be making any confirmation or denial). All means no new Honda for me. Maybe like a few otheres I will wait for the next refresh, maybe they will trim off some of the weight and big body look which I am not exactly thrilled about. Maybe the steering feel and now this strange noise will get sorted out. Seems odd tho this is a worldwide car not just for here in Oz.

Shame I really like Honda but this is all leaving me pretty cold to the car and company at the moment.

If you are planning to get 1, my advice is NO! At least not now. They still cant solve the problem. And the way Honda Australia handle this issue with customer is NO way near their mission statement on the wall!!!! They keep pushing me back to dealer and dealer keep saying they are waiting for Honda Aus to give them the solution. If this happen before you pay for the car, i am sure they might look into it abit more urgent. However, if you already paid, its like your own business.
I really hope more people will read this information before they buy the car. We dont need extra angry buyer out on the road.

eur001
30-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Hi Mate,

Any reply from Honda Australia? Any good news to share with us?:p

eur001
30-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm driving a 2007 civic auto and whenever I use 91ron fuel, there is a rattling (more like clicking) for a few seconds when I accelerate slowly. More noticeable if I'm going up a hill after a stop. From what I know, alot of 8th gen Civic auto is having the same problem aswell. I went to my dealer the first time and to a different honda dealer the second time and had my car thoroughly checked for timing, such and such, and they couldn't find the problem. The only suggestion they made was to fill up with 98ron petrol as the problem dissapears after using premium petrol. << all this happens before I had my 20k service..

However, after I had my 20k service, the dealer used a different brand of engine oil (I think its a Honda premium oil) and the problem dissapears. My car used to have a Castrol oil when the problem occurs. I'm happily using 91ron petrol now whenever 98ron is too expensive.. lol

Hope this helps..

Thanks for your sharing. Did they do anything to the gearbox or change any AT oil? As far as i know, it should be the engine as it doesnt sound when not engage in gear.

aaronng
02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your sharing. Did they do anything to the gearbox or change any AT oil? As far as i know, it should be the engine as it doesnt sound when not engage in gear.

If it doesn't make the sound when not in gear, then it is caused by the gearbox. Not the engine.

tritty
02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
mine has been fine........really starting to open up now :D

vxclubsport569
02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
All cars, even Germen prestige brands have problems and recalls etc

Price range means nothing, though of course you expect better service and reliability when you have forked out more than say a I30 or Kia Rio but lets not forget the price of this car (standard Commodore, Aurion, Liberty etc and plenty other cars in this average new car price range) and you can have this sort of service issue with a $50k or $100k car and an Accord Euro Luxury isnt even in these brackets

Its like everything banks, cars, electronics you hear good and bad about every brand. Go into an Audi forum, HSV/LS1 forums (I own one) and see what I mean.

I can recall plenty of Suby, Mazda and especially Toyota problems over the past 10 as well but a lot less than
Holden and Ford.

Keep Taking your problem up with your Honda dealer and if not satisifed keep going up the food chain at Honda Australia as it sounds like you are... Honda'a are generally are more reliable than most brands (many automobile club and independant test have shown this) but like anything are not 100&#37; perfect, and things go wrong and cars have problems (especailly new models/Series I's) and whilst this is an issue doesn't make the product all of a sudden inferior or not worth purchasing

Good Luck and I hope you get your matter rectified and a good result in the end....

yfin
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
i saw on the tsx forum that a manual driver has reported the same thing - so query whether it is the auto box if it is happening in the manual.

I think the dealers would happily change the engine and gearbox oil to see if that helps for you.... Why not push for that? It could be the break in engine oil that Honda is using from factory.

eur001
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
All cars, even Germen prestige brands have problems and recalls etc

Price range means nothing, though of course you expect better service and reliability when you have forked out more than say a I30 or Kia Rio but lets not forget the price of this car (standard Commodore, Aurion, Liberty etc and plenty other cars in this average new car price range) and you can have this sort of service issue with a $50k or $100k car and an Accord Euro Luxury isnt even in these brackets

Its like everything banks, cars, electronics you hear good and bad about every brand. Go into an Audi forum, HSV/LS1 forums (I own one) and see what I mean.

I can recall plenty of Suby, Mazda and especially Toyota problems over the past 10 as well but a lot less than
Holden and Ford.

Keep Taking your problem up with your Honda dealer and if not satisifed keep going up the food chain at Honda Australia as it sounds like you are... Honda'a are generally are more reliable than most brands (many automobile club and independant test have shown this) but like anything are not 100% perfect, and things go wrong and cars have problems (especailly new models/Series I's) and whilst this is an issue doesn't make the product all of a sudden inferior or not worth purchasing

Good Luck and I hope you get your matter rectified and a good result in the end....

I totally accept the fact that there is no 100% perfect car. What i dont like is the way they treat customer. Few friends in this forum rang up Honda Aust and got very bad service from the other end. I dont mind if they tell me that they dont have answer but is lloking into it now. They put down as my car is the only vehicle with the problem. When i sent an email to report the issue, i have no reply.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. Lets hope they can solve the problem asap so that i can enjoy the car.

The X Man
03-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I agree but i have had pretty well all my problems with my new car sorted out now, finally.

It took a very strong email to which i emailed to the Service Manager, Dealer Principal and to Honda Customer Care. It wasn't long before i was contacted and the dealership was bending over backwards in every way to ensure all the problems i was experiencing would be resolved. They organised free loan cars at no cost for however long it would take, they kept in contact continously, they apoligised profusily, they would not let me take my car back until the problems were 100&#37; resolved and they even threw in a Honda bear for my young son to which made him very happy (and subsequently me too). It was a complete turnaround and quite honestly shocked me as i have had never experienced so much "customer service" from any dealer like this and beleive me, i have been to many.

All the repairs were either done and/or supervised by the Service Manager and the Dealer Principal was CC'd in dozens of emails between myself and the Service Department. So despite having all sorts of issues with the same dealer, as soon as the Dealer Principal and Honda Australia got involved they really have excelled at providing commendable customer service (thanks Tim) but it took alot of effort and frustration to reach this level. Nothing is too hard for them to fix for me now and they do it fast so i am a happy customer now (and happy customers send refferals).

The key is if your unhappy with the results your getting from the service department ask for the dealer principal's email address and CC both himself and Honda Australia (PM for this email addy) when emailing the Service Manager.

Put everything in writing. It really does work. The Dealer Principal must answer to Honda Australia when complaints are made and judging by my experience Honda do not like complaints and will escalate them fast. The Dealer Principal does not want Honda hounding them about poor customer experiences so it's by far in the best interests for the Dealer Principal to resolve such issues as quickly as possible.

kimnkk
03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I can't hear any sort of pining in our Auto CU2 Lux. None, not when cold, not when accelerating slow, not when accelerating fast, constant speed, or under any sort of condition. Its on RON98 but i don't recall hearing it when it was on the first tank of 95.

loki78
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I can't hear any sort of pining in our Auto CU2 Lux. None, not when cold, not when accelerating slow, not when accelerating fast, constant speed, or under any sort of condition. Its on RON98 but i don't recall hearing it when it was on the first tank of 95.

Hey Kimnk, how long have you had the car for? and how many kays is it on right now?

Is this something that develops after a short while?

kimnkk
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey Kimnk, how long have you had the car for? and how many kays is it on right now?

Is this something that develops after a short while?

We've had it for 2-3 months now and its only got 600k's on it - my dad is still driving his previous car so this one has just been sitting in the garage unless i'm driving it.

I'm not sure if it'll develop after time but there's no reason to think that it would. I've been listening for the note when i read this thread a few weeks ago but i still can't pick it up no matter what i try.

eur001
04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
We've had it for 2-3 months now and its only got 600k's on it - my dad is still driving his previous car so this one has just been sitting in the garage unless i'm driving it.

I'm not sure if it'll develop after time but there's no reason to think that it would. I've been listening for the note when i read this thread a few weeks ago but i still can't pick it up no matter what i try.

Lucky you! What fuel you using now?

unity
04-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Eur001 have you written a leeter to Honda yet? Seems The X Man finally got a fair go. I have to back up everything he said about putting your concerns in writting. I did that the other day and the very next day the service manager was on the phone to me and said that there was some technician from Honda Australia willing to see me about my concerns with my car.

kimnkk
04-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Lucky you! What fuel you using now?

Its running on Caltex Vortex at the moment, just topped up. I'll see how it goes with regards to the noise, but i couldn't hear any on the other stuff anyway.

Bobjones
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I have sent a letter to Honda Australia and nothing to date...

X Man you have a PM, I think I will put my concerns in an email I am far from being satisfied with the customer service. If I ran my business like this I would be broke...

SPQR
04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Can several someones with this "common" problem please lodge a formal complaint to the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission. And direct them to this thread in this forum and those for the TSX in USA. (You might have to explain to the ACCC non-car-people numbnuts that the Euro and the TSX are the same car).

This is issue requires the ACCC to lean on Honda Oz to do the right thing and either fix it or offer people their money back. The basis of the complaint could be that the manual states that car should run happily on RON 95 fuel but it appears to actually require RON 98 fuel. Therefore, Honda has misrepresented the product to consumers as consumers have purchased the car in good faith expecting to have to pay a slight premium for petrol but not the premium require to keep feeding it RON 98. (You might have to explain to the ACCC non-car-people numbnuts what the various grades of fuel are as they don't seem to recognise anything other than RON 91).

Bobjones
06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
SPQR, I am trying a nicely worded email to the Service Department at my local Honda dealership. To be honest it is not really their fault as I believe it to be a manufacturing problem...though by now someone should have worked out what is causing it and a possible solution given that this is not isolated to one vehicle or not even one country.

The ACCC is the next avenue or alternatively we could be like those Ford and Jeep drivers and go to Today Tonight or ACA to get some action. And at the end of the day that is all that we want is action, to rectify an evident problem with a car that is otherwise quite fine!!

eur001
06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Eur001 have you written a leeter to Honda yet? Seems The X Man finally got a fair go. I have to back up everything he said about putting your concerns in writting. I did that the other day and the very next day the service manager was on the phone to me and said that there was some technician from Honda Australia willing to see me about my concerns with my car.

No, not yet. I have been talking to Honda Aust over the phone. Just brough my car back for inspection last week. The dealer will bring up my problem Honda Aust again. Let see what they going to say in few days time.
Keep sharing your story here. We need to find out what really works.
Thanks!

eur001
06-10-2008, 11:00 AM
SPQR, I am trying a nicely worded email to the Service Department at my local Honda dealership. To be honest it is not really their fault as I believe it to be a manufacturing problem...though by now someone should have worked out what is causing it and a possible solution given that this is not isolated to one vehicle or not even one country.

The ACCC is the next avenue or alternatively we could be like those Ford and Jeep drivers and go to Today Tonight or ACA to get some action. And at the end of the day that is all that we want is action, to rectify an evident problem with a car that is otherwise quite fine!!

Thats very true. It still a very good car after all. I have no other complaint except the noise. And rightly said, what we need is an action to solve the problem. I must said without the noise, its a great car! i like it very much. Please keep pushing Honda Aust and share every bits of success here..
However, it we are not going anywhere....the option above sounds very reasonable.

Bobjones
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
This is the response I have from my Dealer with respect to the noise:

"I have duly read your comments and concerns and can advise in relation to the “ pinging/rattling ” you are experiencing that Honda Technical have received a small number of similar incidents and have reported same to the Factory and are waiting for direction from them. Until such time as to that investigation being concluded we would not attempt to carry out further diagnosis, however we will advise you accordingly as soon as we receive advice from Honda. If you wish to lodge your concerns directly with Honda Australia on this issue phone Customer Assistance on 1800804954.

While I can understand your frustrations at this point in time I can only reiterate that until we receive advice from Honda we are unable to finalize the engine issue."

Accordingly, I will be contacting Honda Australia but other than that they are working on it and only time will tell if there is a viable solution.

eur001
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM

"I have duly read your comments and concerns and can advise in relation to the “ pinging/rattling ” you are experiencing that Honda Technical have received a small number of similar incidents and have reported same to the Factory and are waiting for direction from them. Until such time as to that investigation being concluded we would not attempt to carry out further diagnosis, however we will advise you accordingly as soon as we receive advice from Honda. If you wish to lodge your concerns directly with Honda Australia on this issue phone Customer Assistance on 1800804954.

While I can understand your frustrations at this point in time I can only reiterate that until we receive advice from Honda we are unable to finalize the engine issue."

Accordingly, I will be contacting Honda Australia but other than that they are working on it and only time will tell if there is a viable solution.

Well, lets hope they can come up with the solution soon.
They have to look into it now with all these complaints, thats good news!
Thanks for your sharing

SPQR
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM

This sounds like it's got through the "veil" to Honda Japan. This is good. I have found by previous experience that it's only when the Japanese manufacturer hears of the problem that real solutions happen.

However, I think the issue arises from the high compression ratio of the engine. As it's pretty hard to change, the solution might be 1) You all must use 98 RON petrol; or 2) They take your cars and tell you they're going to fix it but in the workshop they upload a new programme for the engine computer that retards the timing or squirts more fuel in for a given load.

Neither solution is really acceptable as both come at a cost at the petrol pumps for the owners.

Solution 3 could be that it is was a dud knock sensor (or O2 sensor) afterall (that explains why not all cars have the problem). The solution for this is a replacement sensor. I hope it's something as easy as that.

I did not experience the problem when I test drove the car and our one dealer in Darwin is too tight to fill the tank with 98 RON (at $2.00 per litre at the time of the test drive!) so the test car would have had 95 RON in the tank. And its hot up here; so it's the worst conditions for "pinging".

eur001
14-10-2008, 06:55 PM
This sounds like it's got through the "veil" to Honda Japan. This is good. I have found by previous experience that it's only when the Japanese manufacturer hears of the problem that real solutions happen.

However, I think the issue arises from the high compression ratio of the engine. As it's pretty hard to change, the solution might be 1) You all must use 98 RON petrol; or 2) They take your cars and tell you they're going to fix it but in the workshop they upload a new programme for the engine computer that retards the timing or squirts more fuel in for a given load.

Neither solution is really acceptable as both come at a cost at the petrol pumps for the owners.

Solution 3 could be that it is was a dud knock sensor (or O2 sensor) afterall (that explains why not all cars have the problem). The solution for this is a replacement sensor. I hope it's something as easy as that.

I did not experience the problem when I test drove the car and our one dealer in Darwin is too tight to fill the tank with 98 RON (at $2.00 per litre at the time of the test drive!) so the test car would have had 95 RON in the tank. And its hot up here; so it's the worst conditions for "pinging".

All the possible solutions are not looking good! :)

MiSloVic
14-10-2008, 09:41 PM
just like any high tech equipment, early adoptors are usually the 'real world' beta testers.just like microsoft, it is why some prefer to wait for the 'service pack 1' versions.. Ie, the midlife update

jbowly
16-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Have same problem with Honda euro Lux with Sat Nav Purchased 18th Sept now 1740 KMs still has pinging. Back to Dealer twice and no change. Running on 98 OCT Dealer added 2 bottles of octane booster no change. This pinging it would appear is not a petrol problem, yet dealer keeps saying just keep driving it. now metallic pinging will cause engine damage if left unchecked .( owners manual Page 334). So why hav'nt Honda Australia taken action to advise they are doing something about it. Shouldnt we all write a letter to honda Australia direct to add pressure to this issue. There is a contact page on the www.honda.com.au web site. If you have this problem then please communicate it to honda direct. Unless you do Honda will continue to fend us off through their dealers without an official response. Go to http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...es/Contact+Us/

jbowly
16-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda euro Lux with Sat Nav Purchased 18th Sept now 1740 KMs still has pinging. Back to Dealer twice and no change. Running on 98 OCT Dealer added 2 bottles of octane booster no change. This pinging it would appear is not a petrol problem, yet dealer keeps saying just keep driving it. now metallic pinging will cause engine damage if left unchecked .( owners manual Page 334). So why hav'nt Honda Australia taken action to advise they are doing something about it. Shouldnt we all write a letter to honda Australia direct to add pressure to this issue. There is a contact page on the www.honda.com.au web site. If you have this problem then please communicate it to honda direct. Unless you do Honda will continue to fend us off through their dealers without an official response. Go to http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...es/Contact+Us/

eur001
16-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi guys,

Just some updates. My Euro friend in Sydney had his Knock Sensor changed yesterday "compliment" from Honda Aust. However, the result is very very disappointed! The pinging sound still there.
This is the third time he sent the car back "over night" for the same problem.
He will report this to Honda Japan.
As for me, i am still waiting for the call from Honda Aust.

Bobjones
16-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I think we are all waiting for a call from Honda Aust, seems the phone system must be down or something. I have emailed customer relations and have receipted a read receipt so I know they have the email, it was attaching my orginal 2 page email about the problems with the car...if I had customer service like this my business would not exist and neither would Honda cause no one would buy their cars...

Oh and that advert about racing and the heritage of Honda is a pile of BS, as if they learnt anything when they cannot build a car that does not rattle...end rant

aaronng
16-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh and that advert about racing and the heritage of Honda is a pile of BS, as if they learnt anything when they cannot build a car that does not rattle...end rant
Almost all race cars rattle. :p

Bobjones
16-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Our race car does not...and with over 400awkw and faster than a Porsche Cup car so go figure...

frank87
17-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I think we are all waiting for a call from Honda Aust, seems the phone system must be down or something. I have emailed customer relations and have receipted a read receipt so I know they have the email, it was attaching my orginal 2 page email about the problems with the car...if I had customer service like this my business would not exist and neither would Honda cause no one would buy their cars...

from what i remember the first initial response from honda via email for me took about almost 7 days.. but after that when i got in contact with irine the reply time averaged about 2 - 2.5 hours per reply

eur001
22-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey guys.... looks like we are not going anywhere.
I havent heard anything from Honda Australia. :thumbdwn:

frank87
22-10-2008, 11:53 AM
mate keep on perstering them if you dont hear anything write a follow up email but show all your emotions ^^

Bobjones
22-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I will wait 1 month from the date of the last response from the Service Department Manager and Honda Australia and then I am demanding a new car or replacement. This is f#cked to say the least.

frank87
22-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I hope you do Suceed in that Bob Because i have failed in demanding for a new car i even offered a different model would be accepted by me eg: a CRV the following are the events

Dear Irene

I appreciate and thank you for you offer of the letter the adress is 4/43
first ave campsie 2194 sydney NSW how ever this does not adress my concern
this does not fix my rattling noise and whats not to say 6 months down the
track i decide to sell the car?.. how am i going to do it?. not to say let
alone i paid 50g for a brand new car with a constant rattling noise on a
brand new car i mean when i buy something no matter the price i expect it
to be in prestine condition because it is new im sure you do too i dont see
the new civic type r's and the crvs with the rattling noise so there fore
it is ver hard to believe that it is caused by the fuel let a lone
effecting australia wide. i mean the letter you are giving me is one that
states it will not effect anything and the engine is covered i mean this
problem could lead to many problems none of us know what causes even Honda
the manufacture that built the car is not even sure what is causing this.
Honda is only "confident" that the fuel is causing this so with this letter
are you providing a warranty of the engine?.. and also is there nathing els
you can do?. because iam fustrated and extremely dissatisfied cant honda do
anything?.. who knows maybe give me a different model or somthing i dont
know im about to explode with this noise rattling off everytime i drive.
Regards

Frank Sun

and the reply is

Hi Frank,

Honda are prepared to warranty the engine in your vehicle as we are 100&#37;
confident that there will be no problems with its performance going
forward. I understand your frustration i must advise that we can not meet
your request for a different model. However i wish to reiterate that we
believe that the repeated use of good quality fuel over a few fills will
case the noise you have reported to abate.

I will forward the letter of warranty as promised

Kind regard

Irene

I contacted a the law firm that my family uses and was advised that nathing much i can do as they are abiding the law and there is no law saying they have to replace a vehicle

but hey man Good luck and if it works be sure to let all our HONDA CU2 Pinging noise owners know

jbowly
30-10-2008, 06:36 PM
as title suggest, anyone having the same problem?? It produce clicking sound from the front during slow acceleration(low rev).. The sound is exactly similar to those old vehicle when they pick up speed after coming out from a corner (if you know what i mean).
My car is less than 1 week old...so not sure whether i shoud bring it back to dealer immediately or wait till my 1st service.
Pls advice....Thanks!

ps: i am loving this forum!!! :p
I have the same vehicle as you same configeration same clicking sound. It is called engine pinging. I have been back to dealer twice and on to honda Australia once. All they say to me is they are asking japan to come up with a solution. Every word is verbal nothing in writing. Suggest you go back to the dealer and say you are aware honda has a number of your model with the same problem and what are they going to do about it. More pressure at dealer point is the way to escalate the priority so we can all get this fault ( and it is a fault) fixed. The manual clearly states that engine pinging if left unattended will DAMAGE THE ENGINE (page 334 2.4L model)

frank87
31-10-2008, 08:16 AM
well u know what to do then get a warranty letter of gurantee and if the engine stuffs up on u pull out the manual page 334 2.4L model and u got ur self a case. maybe even court case

Spoon-Accord
31-10-2008, 06:39 PM
well tihs is making me think twice about buying a euro.. hate to see that happening to anone let alone me

SPQR
31-10-2008, 09:52 PM
well u know what to do then get a warranty letter of gurantee and if the engine stuffs up on u pull out the manual page 334 2.4L model and u got ur self a case. maybe even court case

You don't have to fund a court case. If enough of you go the ACCC, they'll put the heavies on Honda. Unlike, the cost of petrol, this is something that the ACCC can do something about.

snajper
06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I have the same issue with my 08 Accord (non euro)

unity
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM

So have you had any feed back from your dealer or Honda as to what is happening? Are other Accord owners complaining about this too?

Bobjones
07-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Can I assume that its the 4cylinder version not the V6...seems that Honda may have a rather large issue on their hands.

aaronng
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Can I assume that its the 4cylinder version not the V6...seems that Honda may have a rather large issue on their hands.

Seems like a drivetrain issue if it is happening on different engines as well.

You guys with pinging, can you confirm for me if the pinging gets worse with RPM or does it get worse with increasing speed.

snajper
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Yep it is 4 cyl auto

unity
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Here is a good article to read about other possible causes of knocking or pinging.

www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

austma
14-11-2008, 09:37 PM
my 2007 euro old model pings too. the Honda dealer said there is nothing wrong with the engine .It is not unusal.

unity
15-11-2008, 12:10 PM
my 2007 euro old model pings too. the Honda dealer said there is nothing wrong with the engine .It is not unusal.

"Mild or occasional detonation can occur in almost any engine and usually causes no harm. But prolonged or heavy detonation can be very damaging. So if you hear knocking or pinging when accelerating or lugging your engine, you probably have a detonation problem."

As quoted from the above article, maybe what you are experiencing in your cars is normal and you just have to put up with it.But I know how you are feeling - it would be better to have no pinging at all.

aaronng
15-11-2008, 01:36 PM
"Mild or occasional detonation can occur in almost any engine and usually causes no harm. But prolonged or heavy detonation can be very damaging. So if you hear knocking or pinging when accelerating or lugging your engine, you probably have a detonation problem."

As quoted from the above article, maybe what you are experiencing in your cars is normal and you just have to put up with it.But I know how you are feeling - it would be better to have no pinging at all.

Detonation can happen, but if your car is spec'd for 95RON and you put in 98 or 100RON and it still detonates, then it is not normal.

I still doubt that this is detonation. My opinion is that there is a sound from the gearbox which sounds like detonation.

binhcat
16-11-2008, 11:53 AM
i got the same problem.
Its definitely not fuel problem.. I've been using 98RON Shell, Mobile and BP for the matter and still have the rattling problem.

A/C on or off doesnt matter. Rattling still there.

Only happens with low speed take up. (sounds exactly like when you're in the wrong gear) Noise is coming from the driving side. Clock is sittting on 4000km now. Didn't notice until releasing cos too focus on my steering problem I had (lumpy steering) and also perhaps I have the music pumping before i drive so didnt hear anything.

I will contact Honda service this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

Bobjones
21-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Well they fixed the rattle in the parcel shelf, turns out exactly what I told them it was, ie the metal layers where the spot weld has not gone all the way through...though it took them most of a day to locate it...and the rattle in the door sometimes pops up, I think its the wiring loom in the door, so I will fix that myself...

But alas, the engine still rattles and at times appears to be getting significantly worse, one thing I can say is I have requested a fix by the end of the month, after that I am going to have to take another course of action...or two.

buddah51au
24-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Regarding the so called engine pinging problem, on my advice a family member got a CU2 auto 2 months ago and immediately noticed what he described as engine pinging. After several complaints to the dealer they asked to have the car for a day to re-program the computer. He has told me that for the last 2 weeks he has had no further problems with pinging. Pls note this is second hand information.

eur001
01-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Well they fixed the rattle in the parcel shelf, turns out exactly what I told them it was, ie the metal layers where the spot weld has not gone all the way through...though it took them most of a day to locate it...and the rattle in the door sometimes pops up, I think its the wiring loom in the door, so I will fix that myself...

But alas, the engine still rattles and at times appears to be getting significantly worse, one thing I can say is I have requested a fix by the end of the month, after that I am going to have to take another course of action...or two.

Hi Bob,
Any updates??

Any good news from anyone with the same problem?? I have not heard of anything from dealer or Honda Aus so far.
To those guys who sent their car for inspection in Sydney months ago, just wondering whats the result and follow up.

binhcat
01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I sent an email last to General Manager and copied the sales rep who sold me the car along with the sales manager and the service manager. To my suprise they got back to me a couple of days later.

They told me to take the car this Wednesday for a check up. They have also offered me a replacement car while they diagnose the problem. Fingers cross, they give me a type R!!!!

They will be looking at my lumpy steering problem I had form day one.

Fingers cross they fix everything and throw in some freebies while they at it for the inconvenience they have caused me. I'll keep everyone posted with the results.

SPQR
01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
I was in Perth last week and went with a friend to a dealer on the Leach Highway. My friend was interested in the CU2. We chatted with a youngish salesperson who seemed to know his stuff. Then I asked him directly about whether the pinging problem had been solved. He paused and then acknowledged that there was a pinging problem. But then he went on to say that Honda had solved it as they had discovered that owners had actually been fuelling up with 91 RON ULP instead of 95 RON PULP.

Well, I thought to myself: 1. He confirmed the existence of the pinging problem; and 2. He still wanted to sell my friend the CU2 no matter what.

swork
02-12-2008, 06:50 AM
i took the honda rep for a drive last week and he confirmed my car was pinging and said he will log a job with honda in japan. He confirmed honda japan were aware of the problem and that they were working on a fix, no timeframe given. he said it affected a small number of cars.

if anyone else has the problem ask your dealer to get the honda dsm down and test drive your car so they can log a fault with honda japan. the more the better for us.

Type R Positive
02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
They told me to take the car this Wednesday for a check up. They have also offered me a replacement car while they diagnose the problem. Fingers cross, they give me a type R!!!!
I didn't know they made a Jazz type R! :p

DBH
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I also have an engine pinging problem in my 2009 Euro, which is only 3 mths old. Initially the pinging was only audible when accelerating (@ 2-3000rpm); now it is almost all the time...

Dealership has acknowledged that there is a pinging problem and that Honda Australia is aware of it, however with no fix (no news there for you).

I have been told that the DSM will be coming to have a look - hopefully soon. I too got the line that I should use 98 RON, which is all I have been using since day one.

I can't believe Honda still sell this car when they know there is a problem. Subaru stopped production of their turbo engines early this year until they fixed similar engine knocking problem. Same with Toyota Aurion. At least these manufacturers had the guts to publicly admit the problem and fix it.

My experience with trying to get this problem fixed has put me off Honda and there so called quality product and after sales service.

I have also had a steering problem - annoying rubbing noise on full turn at slow speed. Dealership says it is normal and that the noise is coming the EPS motor. I guess they will tell me all the rattles coming from the dash and the driver's window are also normal...along with the loud thumping noise I get when I turn the AC vents off.

Keen to hear how others get on with fixing the enging knocking.

eur001
03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
I was in Perth last week and went with a friend to a dealer on the Leach Highway. My friend was interested in the CU2. We chatted with a youngish salesperson who seemed to know his stuff. Then I asked him directly about whether the pinging problem had been solved. He paused and then acknowledged that there was a pinging problem. But then he went on to say that Honda had solved it as they had discovered that owners had actually been fuelling up with 91 RON ULP instead of 95 RON PULP.

Well, I thought to myself: 1. He confirmed the existence of the pinging problem; and 2. He still wanted to sell my friend the CU2 no matter what.

So your friend end up buying the car??

SPQR
03-12-2008, 11:34 PM
^^^ No.

Anth
04-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Pinging.

I also have it, 2009 Accord Euro Automatic. Happens when under load at about 1800- 2500 rpm. At 1000km, service guy heard it immediately, said that should wait for 10,000km service because loosening up of engine may correct it. Car has only ever had 98 unleaded, so I doubt it is related to that.

Car is eerily quiet anyway, much quieter than the new Mazda6 I test drove, so it is most annoying on the freeway in cruise because engine sits at 2000 rpm and pings the whole way!

Have written to Honda.

Bobjones
04-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I am actually about to commence discussions with the legal fraternity as this is now beyond a joke. My car for example has never had anyone with any decent knowledge (IMHO) to ascertain the problem, nor have they provided ANY updates on the progress of ANY solution. Additionally, I am yet to see why I should need to run 98 octane in a 95 octane car, running 95 makes it worse, nor should I as a consumer be inconvenienced due to a manufacturers royal stuff up.

Honda constantly make out that it is a minor issue, and salespeople are worse as admit of problem yet think it is not major, yet this "minor issue" is still to be resolved though Honda Australia has been made aware of this for over 4 months now...

I am also getting my original letter translated to Japanese (my brother-in-law is Japanese which helps) and will be sending it to Japan as it would seem that no action has occured on the home front other than Honda waving the sales banner to generate cashflow when they really should be looking at the underlying problem, you can't selll shit.

I for one am currently, and will continue to be outspoken on this issue and ensure that every person I know never buy a Honda ever again, not a car, motorbike not even a friggin Generator...

Oh and for those that want action and NOT just words and a piece of paper not worth a pinch of pi$$...

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/contactform/30607

DBH
04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, Honda Australia finally phoned me today about the pinging (Ken Sheppard if anyone is interested in talking to him as well).

I was given a lovely story about how Honda cares and everything is being done to find a fix to the pinging (however a timeframe for the fix could not be provided - I was actually advised it could be months if not longer). I was further advised that the constant audible pinging will not damage the engine! I asked that Honda put this in writing and they advised they would - to put my little mind at rest. I found this fascinating given the actual car manual (p334 I think) states that engine pinging can damage the mechanical components etc. I did point out this contradiction.

Apparently there is no safety issue either and therefore they would not meet my request for a loaner while a fix was being investigated.

I was informed that it's really only a noise issue from my perspective and that I shouldn't worry about it - they ackowledged that it may be annoying and reduce the level of enjoyment I might get out of the car.

I went on to provide some very honest feedback and how I will never purchase another Honda. Perhaps Honda may wish to rethink their ad campaign for this car; it is not about "precision" anymore, it's about "precision in stuffing it up".

I got the impression from Ken that he actually reads the posts on this forum. Maybe we should all give him a nice big wave hello:wave:

Well I am over all this. I had a problem with an IAC motor in a Holden many years ago. We had an auto and the engine would always stall. Holden simply replaced the IAC motor (about eight times all up). They never found a fix for that problem. My advice to all is consider getting out while you can - before the reputation of this car is really in the shit.

unity
04-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Pinging.

I also have it, 2009 Accord Euro Automatic. Happens when under load at about 1800- 2500 rpm. At 1000km, service guy heard it immediately, said that should wait for 10,000km service because loosening up of engine may correct it. Car has only ever had 98 unleaded, so I doubt it is related to that.

That's a new one. Could you please tell me which dealer told you this/

The X Man
04-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I will never purchase another Honda.

I hear ya and agree with you. All these dickwads that say Honda is the best seriously need their heads read as it's a rubbish claim. Honda's are no better then most of the others.. Oh, my 2006 Lancer with 25,000kms has never had a warranty claim and it still hasn't got rattles yet it cost half that of the Euro!

I'll stick with Mitsubishi from now on.

Type R Positive
04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
All you guys have the auto?

eur001
04-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I am actually about to commence discussions with the legal fraternity as this is now beyond a joke. My car for example has never had anyone with any decent knowledge (IMHO) to ascertain the problem, nor have they provided ANY updates on the progress of ANY solution. Additionally, I am yet to see why I should need to run 98 octane in a 95 octane car, running 95 makes it worse, nor should I as a consumer be inconvenienced due to a manufacturers royal stuff up.

Honda constantly make out that it is a minor issue, and salespeople are worse as admit of problem yet think it is not major, yet this "minor issue" is still to be resolved though Honda Australia has been made aware of this for over 4 months now...

I am also getting my original letter translated to Japanese (my brother-in-law is Japanese which helps) and will be sending it to Japan as it would seem that no action has occured on the home front other than Honda waving the sales banner to generate cashflow when they really should be looking at the underlying problem, you can't selll shit.

I for one am currently, and will continue to be outspoken on this issue and ensure that every person I know never buy a Honda ever again, not a car, motorbike not even a friggin Generator...

Oh and for those that want action and NOT just words and a piece of paper not worth a pinch of pi$$...

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/contactform/30607

Hi Bob,

I am all with you!! At the moment, i have no direction...dont know what to do next. If you need any case for reference, you can quote me(let me know if you need my info).
If you need any help, just let me know.
By the way, i sent three emails to Honda Audtralia with no reply. Dealer ask me to "just" wait.

SPQR
04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Please, please, please all of you with problems make a formal complaint with the ACCC. The ACCC website (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml?itemId=815327&Go.x=17&Go.y=8) gives you access to the complaints procedure. ACCC can force Honda to do a recall if enough of you complain and they see a pattern.

Bobjones
24-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Well I will be lodging the above now with the ACCC, no response by Honda, the rattle continues to get worse and more constant, and I have a funny feeling it sounds more like the timing chain than pinging byt he frequency and sound that eminates.

This has been the worst purchase of a vehicle in my life...

buddah51au
24-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Well I will be lodging the above now with the ACCC, no response by Honda, the rattle continues to get worse and more constant, and I have a funny feeling it sounds more like the timing chain than pinging byt he frequency and sound that eminates.

A timing chain rattle is much easier to believe than pinging as there are only a very small percentage of vehicles effected. In saying that, a very small percentage (under 2%) of all K series engines have a problem with Timing Chain Rattle. It is usually a guide problem, but occasionally a tensioner. Usually it is more prevelant with a cold engine. While this can be annoying to some it has no effect whatsoever on engine life.

This has been the worst purchase of a vehicle in my life...[/QUOTE]

You could have brought a falcadore and been a lot worse off.

snYpz
24-12-2008, 09:45 PM

We have our CU2 auto and its currently slightly less than 1000km travelled. Havent heard much of the rattle although there is a slight sound if we were really anal. Will see how the sound progresses over time.

Does anyone have a sound clip to indicate how it actually sounds like and how loud it is?

Especially with the currently sales of the CU2, i would imagine the complaints would not be sufficient enough for honda to take serious notice. Everyone who experiences the problem need to stick by each other to make thing happen.

orion76
25-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Any news or updates or fixes on the rattling / pinging by anyone out there? Has anybody had there problem fixed yet or are Honda still denying a problem. Which dealers are in denial?

eur001
25-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Any news or updates or fixes on the rattling / pinging by anyone out there? Has anybody had there problem fixed yet or are Honda still denying a problem. Which dealers are in denial?

well, i called Honda Australia...and was told to check again after new year as they are waiting for solution from Japan..

Bobjones
28-12-2008, 03:53 PM
A timing chain rattle is much easier to believe than pinging as there are only a very small percentage of vehicles effected. In saying that, a very small percentage (under 2%) of all K series engines have a problem with Timing Chain Rattle. It is usually a guide problem, but occasionally a tensioner. Usually it is more prevelant with a cold engine. While this can be annoying to some it has no effect whatsoever on engine life.

You could have brought a falcadore and been a lot worse off.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned in the other thread, I would answer this one in more detail.

To have you quote such percentages, you are either nieve or working for Honda, which in either case makes you look like a clown.

As for it being such a problem in the new K series, we are yet to see, but I am far from going to the lengths of stripping down an engine that is new and under warranty to prove a point, hell we just had to pull down the stroker in the Evo race car and I am far from wanting to do that again in my spare time which is small if not not existant.

I am sorry, but the timing chain controls the operation of the head and is vitally important with respect to the timing of the valves run by the cams. Should the chain skip a few teeth, the end result in most instances is a reduction in power, skip a few more and your probably looking at picking bits of the valves out of the piston crown, having coured bores, completely rooted head as the lifters get screwed the cams get scoured, fubared valve guides and all kinds of pieces found in your cat conveter which is it now how for most of the fubared parts spat out of the combustion cycle before everything ceased or went to hell.

Oh and if I had of bought a falcon or commodore I would have expected the problems that come with those cars, though they are getting fewer and farer between events. I could have bought a Subaru atleast they stopped production, did a complete recall and halted sales on all stock due to an engine issue with pinging and adressed it prior to continuing to make a buck with sales as they knew it would more than likely have been detrimental to overall customer loyalty and long term sales.

As to the actual problem, I have been told the same with respect to the new year, though it needs to go back again fr the parcel shelf issue...

Oh and Happy New Year to all CU2 owners, I hope it brings good news and a better result!!!

The X Man
28-12-2008, 04:55 PM

LOL - i had a Falcon and had far less problems with that then i have had with my Honda!

buddah51au
28-12-2008, 08:06 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, I would answer this one in more detail.

To have you quote such percentages, you are either nieve or working for Honda, which in either case makes you look like a clown.

As for it being such a problem in the new K series, we are yet to see, but I am far from going to the lengths of stripping down an engine that is new and under warranty to prove a point, hell we just had to pull down the stroker in the Evo race car and I am far from wanting to do that again in my spare time which is small if not not existant.

I am sorry, but the timing chain controls the operation of the head and is vitally important with respect to the timing of the valves run by the cams. Should the chain skip a few teeth, the end result in most instances is a reduction in power, skip a few more and your probably looking at picking bits of the valves out of the piston crown, having coured bores, completely rooted head as the lifters get screwed the cams get scoured, fubared valve guides and all kinds of pieces found in your cat conveter which is it now how for most of the fubared parts spat out of the combustion cycle before everything ceased or went to hell.

Oh and if I had of bought a falcon or commodore I would have expected the problems that come with those cars, though they are getting fewer and farer between events. I could have bought a Subaru atleast they stopped production, did a complete recall and halted sales on all stock due to an engine issue with pinging and adressed it prior to continuing to make a buck with sales as they knew it would more than likely have been detrimental to overall customer loyalty and long term sales.

As to the actual problem, I have been told the same with respect to the new year, though it needs to go back again fr the parcel shelf issue...

Oh and Happy New Year to all CU2 owners, I hope it brings good news and a better result!!![/QUOTE]

See my reply in another thread pls

DBH
21-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, the 09 Euro was judged Wheels Car of the Year......

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/site/articleIDs/95E4BCB0DB0AEBC5CA257544001C6397?open&template=domWheels

jbowly
21-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I applaud Honda for such an achievement. I dont applaud them for lack of customer care in fixing a model problem. Honda have known about the pinging issue for 4 months that I am aware of. As of 21st January 2009 I have been advised by "Honda Customer Care" that a software solution will be available some time in Mid February, 5 months after I advised them of the problem. My vehicle has now done 6000 pinging kilometers and im not impressed that they can treat us this way and consider this acceptable customer service. Other owners like myself...and there are many of us.. are left
in an untenable situation of not being able to sell the vehicle with this problem and not being able to enjoy it for fear of doing damage to it by driving it.

VIDSEURO
21-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Guys

I agree with jbowly.
If you have a Euro Lux manual or auto go to the Honda Australia web site.
Lodge your complaint by using your VIN (vehicle identification number)
Then ask you dealer to inspect the car and take a test drive with you in it.
My Euro Lux 6MT CU2 has the engine pinging or rattle, call it what you will
its there. And it dissapointing.
My car has done 2,200 km's and the noise is worse when the car is started
from cold and it begins at 60 kph.

Anyhow i urge you to speak with your dealer and have and ask them
to acknowledge this issue.

yfin
22-01-2009, 06:16 AM

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/site/articleIDs/95E4BCB0DB0AEBC5CA257544001C6397?open&template=domWheels

So was the 1985 Mitsubishi Magna! And what a car of the year it turned out to be. Plenty had serious problems and were lemons. Tarnished the Magna name for years to come even though the later series were generally good.

eur001
22-01-2009, 12:20 PM

They must have missed the pinging issue....

However, lets be fair as well... its a good car (in my opinion). I enjoy every bit of the car, except the pinging noise!!
I am happy that i am driving a "COTY"..hahaha!!
My biggest disappointment come from the way Honda Aust handle issues.
I also heard that there is solution coming in Feb...lets keep finger cross.

buddah51au
22-01-2009, 02:51 PM
They must have missed the pinging issue....

However, lets be fair as well... its a good car (in my opinion). I enjoy every bit of the car, except the pinging noise!!
I am happy that i am driving a "COTY"..hahaha!!
My biggest disappointment come from the way Honda Aust handle issues.
I also heard that there is solution coming in Feb...lets keep finger cross.

Most people fail to realise that if there is a problem with a car (Honda Australia in this case) would have to receive a number of complaints on the 1 issue. From there they need to relay the problem to the parent company which is Honda Japan so they can look into it, try to duplicate the problem and then find a solution. Unfortunately for those of you that have this particular problem, the process of finding a remedy takes time.

There is no fault on either the Dealer or Honda Australia as they also have a process that needs to be followed and they are unable to deviate from the Policy of Honda Japan.

Once again I say this is not an issue with PINGING as the knock sensors would retard the timing if that was the case. It is more than likely a Timing Chain Tensioner Problem & associated with the Variable Inlet Cam Timing.

shakkas
22-01-2009, 02:59 PM
hate to break it to you,

but it is pinging issue. the service advisors told me it was pinging and that one of the advisor themselves has an euro that has the pinging issue. They said Honda should hopefully have a fix by end of next month and will be doing a recall once the solution is out.

Upside is that they will repair it

VIDSEURO
22-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Point Taken Buddah51au
Everything you have said is valid.

buddah51au
22-01-2009, 05:17 PM
hate to break it to you,

but it is pinging issue. the service advisors told me it was pinging and that one of the advisor themselves has an euro that has the pinging issue. They said Honda should hopefully have a fix by end of next month and will be doing a recall once the solution is out.

Upside is that they will repair it

I agree to disagree with you, the timing chain / tensioner issue has been around since the K series engine was first designed. All K24Z3 engines in the automatic Euro are the same, yet not all engines are effected. If the issue was pinging every Automatic Euro would have the same problem. It would also mean the knock sensor ('s) are not doing the job they are designed to, therefore every current model K24Z3 engine would be effected, that is not the case.

shakkas
22-01-2009, 09:32 PM
im no technician and im not going to argue with a specialised honda service tech who has also an euro and has confirmation from Honda itself that it is a pinging problem.

what they do to fix it? dont care as long as its fixed

Type R Positive
22-01-2009, 09:39 PM
if it was ping, it would have been fixed by now.....

tqt
22-01-2009, 09:59 PM
does the noise apply for the auto or manual? because I'm still holding off from buying the new car

do you guys drive auto or manual cu2?

Type R Positive
22-01-2009, 11:56 PM
does the noise apply for the auto or manual? because I'm still holding off from buying the new car

do you guys drive auto or manual cu2?
Auto.
I think there is one guy with a manual complaining though. First I've heard world wide. :confused:

buddah51au
23-01-2009, 12:14 AM
im no technician and im not going to argue with a specialised honda service tech who has also an euro and has confirmation from Honda itself that it is a pinging problem.

Just like the Service Addvisor at my local dealer told me if i used anything other than Honda FEO engine oil i will void warranty.....I can assure you that i will be going Synthetic oil @ 5,000kms.

I have an Auto & I know 2 others with Auto's, no problems at all with either of them.

Type R Positive
23-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Just like the Service Addvisor at my local dealer told me if i used anything other than Honda FEO engine oil i will void warranty.....Bwahahaha! They don't even use that themselves! :p

lovesil
23-01-2009, 01:31 AM

Its easy to find out if its a pinging problem. If you fill up with a full tank of 98 ron and add a bottle of octane booster. And if the noise's still there, it would have to be something else.

Alternatively, can't anyone just take the affected car to do a dyno run and all the mystery will be revealed.

euromax
23-01-2009, 05:50 AM
I had my CU2 Euro Luxury Auto since 8th Jan and have travelled from Sydney to Adelaide then Melbourne and back to Sydney. I have done 4000kms so far and I do not have the pinging problems you guys talk about.

My car has been on 98 octane and once on 95 when I couldn't find any 98 on the road to Adelaide.

For those afflicted with this problem I hope Honda has a resolution soon and Honda SHOULD because it's a really good car and their reputation cannot be soiled by this especially with the Wheels COTY award.

dan8106
18-02-2009, 11:45 PM
My problem seems very similar to the above.

Vibrations occuring (small quick jerks like it is too high a gear) around 2000 rpm at 50 to 60 km/h when lightly accelerating up an incline.

I took it to the dealer, he felt it too on the test drive but had no idea what it was.

He changed the transmission fluid and I haven't felt it come back ever since (5 days).

The dealer also mentioned it might be the torque converter. I pushed to make a claim through my new car warranty and they have agreed to replace my torque converter free of charge.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dan

snajper
19-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Gentlemen,

I am sorry to have to tell you this, but I just spoke with a lady from Honda (Local dealer) and was advised that Honda will come up with resolution by the End of MARCH. So it is no longer end of this month.

It looks like it is not an easy issue to resolve. Anyway my feeling is that they will probably end up tunning down the engine from 147 to 140 kw.

Once again it is a pinging issue because when I fill up with 98RON it pings a lot less. (30% less)

driver
19-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Vibrations occuring (small quick jerks like it is too high a gear) around 2000 rpm at 50 to 60 km/h when lightly accelerating up an incline.

I took it to the dealer, he felt it too on the test drive but had no idea what it was.

He changed the transmission fluid and I haven't felt it come back ever since (5 days).

The dealer also mentioned it might be the torque converter. I pushed to make a claim through my new car warranty and they have agreed to replace my torque converter free of charge.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

That's great news. Would you mind telling me which dealer you went to?

I need to take my car in and would like to go to a place that understands this issue (and hopefully provides a nice service.)

Thanks in advance.

Chris

snajper
20-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

Since Honda is unable to find the solution, I have managed to reduce engine ping by following these steps.

1) dont go over 2500rpm (0-100 is now 3 minutes)
2) switch off aircon and open the windows
3) turn up the stereo

Naaaaa just kidding, I am just angry that it is taking Honda such a long time to find the solution. GRrRRrrr

Tarsnakes
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
As a new Euro owner I've read these threads with interest. To me it sounds like pinging and even my wife commented that it was pinging after her first drive, and she's not mechanically minded at all.

Anyway, what ever it is I asked for it to be written on the invoice for the first service so that at least it is documented. The invoice also says .. "Checked and found this to be a normal noise, we have spoken to Honda who are looking into the issue. This noise will not cause any damage to the engine".

The bottom line is that the noise spoils my enjoyment of the car. My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Joystick
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
As a new Euro owner I've read these threads with interest. To me it sounds like pinging and even my wife commented that it was pinging after her first drive, and she's not mechanically minded at all.

Anyway, what ever it is I asked for it to be written on the invoice for the first service so that at least it is documented. The invoice also says .. "Checked and found this to be a normal noise, we have spoken to Honda who are looking into the issue. This noise will not cause any damage to the engine".

The bottom line is that the noise spoils my enjoyment of the car. My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Agreed, it does take away some of the enojyment of the car. Mine pings from 2-3k RPM but otherwise can not be heard under other rev ranges.

My wife also has no idea about cars and didn't even test drive the Euro before we purchased but noticed the 'pinging' sound when she drove the one we took home.

snajper
01-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I have written a letter to Honda Customer service a month ago and they don't bother even replying any more. After spending $65K on 2 new hondas in the last 2 years I am pretty sure that this will be my last Honda ever.
Anyway something off the topic. After owning Thai made 08 Honda Accord and Jap made 06 Euro, I just want to make clear that the difference in quality is massive. Jap made Hondas are a class above in quality.
my 2 cents

unity
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
In what way is the quality better? My 08 civic has not had a single problem. I can't say the same thing thing about my 08 euro. The euro has more features and a better finish, however, you are paying 50&#37; more for the euro.

denot
01-03-2009, 09:11 PM
In what way is the quality better? My 08 civic has not had a single problem. I can't say the same thing thing about my 08 euro. The euro has more features and a better finish, however, you are paying 50&#37; more for the euro.

hmmm I paid 2k less for the euro than the FD2 I owned before, and it makes me regret even more on why did I buy the FD2... :thumbdwn: the CU2 is alot better than the FD2 I've had...

better power, better response, better quietness, better build, better handling, better basically everything...

unity
01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
hmmm I paid 2k less for the euro than the FD2 I owned before, and it makes me regret even more on why did I buy the FD2... :thumbdwn: the CU2 is alot better than the FD2 I've had...

better power, better response, better quietness, better build, better handling, better basically everything...

I totally agree. You get what you pay for. But the Civic (so far) has not had a problem nor fallen apart. So overall the buid quaity is fine.

snajper
01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
In what way is the quality better? My 08 civic has not had a single problem. I can't say the same thing thing about my 08 euro. The euro has more features and a better finish, however, you are paying 50% more for the euro.

In my opinion my 06 Euro is miles ahead in quality and refirement from my 08 Accord. (Squeaks, pinging, rattles etc). This is not to say that Thai built Hondas are bad quality, quite the opposite but just not as well build as Euros

denot
02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I totally agree. You get what you pay for. But the Civic (so far) has not had a problem nor fallen apart. So overall the buid quaity is fine.

hmmm my ex-civic has fallen from day one, and after 2 and a half years, its getting worse (the last one is the CD stacker stuffed up).

In my opinion my 06 Euro is miles ahead in quality and refirement from my 08 Accord. (Squeaks, pinging, rattles etc). This is not to say that Thai built Hondas are bad quality, quite the opposite but just not as well build as Euros

dunno if I can compare CU2 with CL9 since I never own any CL9... but a couple of friend who has test drive my CU2 say the opposite to what u said snajper :p anyway, I think everyone has they own oppinion rite? :p

buddah51au
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

I have to agree, I had an FD1 for 2 1/2 years & 65,000km without a single problem, along with great economy. The only reason I sold it was I made the mistake of parking it in the wrong place. I was never comfortable with the car after a 10K repair.

dan8106
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Dan,

That's great news. Would you mind telling me which dealer you went to?

I need to take my car in and would like to go to a place that understands this issue (and hopefully provides a nice service.)

Thanks in advance.

Chris

The dealer I went to was Astoria in Bentleigh, Victoria.

unity
03-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Hope this helps

cheers

Dan

Did they change the torque converter at the same time they replaced the ATF or was that afterwards?

eur001
07-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone has any news about the software updates??
1 owner from eastern state mentioned that Honda Australia is going to delay the solution. Thats mean all onwer with the pinging issue might have to wait longer!!

snajper
08-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Anyone has any news about the software updates??
1 owner from eastern state mentioned that Honda Australia is going to delay the solution. Thats mean all onwer with the pinging issue might have to wait longer!!

I think the solution is months away. (May to June)

SPQR
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM

dunno if I can compare CU2 with CL9 since I never own any CL9... but a couple of friend who has test drive my CU2 say the opposite to what u said snajper :p anyway, I think everyone has they own oppinion rite? :p

denot, snajper was comparing the 06 Accord Euro (built in Japan) with the 08 Accord (built in Thailand); not the 09 Accord Euro (built in Japan).

SPQR
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I've just read the CU2 Pinging data collection thread. Since anything but data collection has been forbidden by aaronng, I am posting my findings here; current as at the time of my post. Please feel free to correct me if I have missed something.

All those that have posted in the pinging data collection thread:

- reported pinging: False
- have early build cars: False
- have low kilometres: False
- have AT cars: False
- use 98 RON petrol: True
- use 95 RON petrol: False
- drive fast: False
- drive slow: False

The only "true" that holds thus far is that those using 98 RON petrol have the pinging problem (WTF?). BUT there is not enough data thus far to draw conclusions.

aaronng
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
^^ Interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried using 95 RON instead to see if the pinging sound goes away.

Type R Positive
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
^^ Interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried using 95 RON instead to see if the pinging sound goes away.
OP's with ping say it's worse with 95.

swork
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
its worse for me with 95.

asimo
23-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I've just read the CU2 Pinging data collection thread. Since anything but data collection has been forbidden by aaronng, I am posting my findings here; current as at the time of my post. Please feel free to correct me if I have missed something.

All those that have posted in the pinging data collection thread:

- reported pinging: False
- have early build cars: False
- have low kilometres: False
- have AT cars: False
- use 98 RON petrol: True
- use 95 RON petrol: False
- drive fast: False
- drive slow: False

The only "true" that holds thus far is that those using 98 RON petrol have the pinging problem (WTF?). BUT there is not enough data thus far to draw conclusions.

Are you for real SPQR ?

People want their cars fixed, not your amateur statistician skills on display.
Keep your day job.
The fact that Honda have acknowledged that they have a problem, and there is a fix in the pipeline is not enough for you ?

buddah51au
23-03-2009, 04:09 PM

I have used nothing but 95RON and have no pinging problem at all after 5,000km

denot
23-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Are you for real SPQR ?

Keep your day job.
The fact that Honda have acknowledged that they have a problem, and there is a fix in the pipeline is not enough for you ?

I think what he tried to do is help us trying to figure out what causedthe problem, not just sit down and wait till honda test all the "fix" they can do on our cars "Oh this one doesnt fix it, lets try that one... Oh that one doesnt fix it as well, lets try that other one over there..." And at the end we got 114kw Accord Euro, not ATW that is... :(

so I'm not sure why u complain about SPQR statistic collection... :confused:

btw, his statistic is based on data collection thread on this forum, not random numbers

asimo
24-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I think what he tried to do is help us trying to figure out what causedthe problem, not just sit down and wait till honda test all the "fix" they can do on our cars "Oh this one doesnt fix it, lets try that one... Oh that one doesnt fix it as well, lets try that other one over there..." And at the end we got 114kw Accord Euro, not ATW that is... :(

so I'm not sure why u complain about SPQR statistic collection... :confused:

btw, his statistic is based on data collection thread on this forum, not random numbers

I appreciate that he's trying to help, and I might have overreacted, but I think the only way is to put presure on Honda as a group and force them to do something about it. If the 'fix' results in the car having only 114kW (btw, did you use this as an example, or do you have some info ? - would be good to know) then it's NOT A FIX, in my opinion.

What would the alternative be ? Outsmart the whole research department of
Honda in Japan, and find a fix that is not covered by warranty ?!...

It's been said before: the fuel quality argument doesn't fly. The CL9
(I had one and drove it everyday for five years) had more power and response under acceleration, and it didn't knock/ping or whatever Honda choose to call it. And I used the same fuel.

Even if the 'improved' engine is more sensitive to the quality of the fuel,
Honda have been present in Oz for eons; they know exactly what the aussie fuel looks like; so, if they choose to bring Honda Accord Euro to Oz, they have the responsibility to ensure it performs according to the specs; otherwise, they would have misrepresented their product.

fire88
24-03-2009, 11:27 AM
hi ,guys ,I'm new here, bought the car 2 months ago ,same probs as everyone.

have been contacting the dealer and the Honda Australia regarding the knocking noise

and low power at pinging time without any happy answer from the Honda Australia, the

manager from Honda said it's normal sound!!!then said they've working on it .I asked if

it's normal why you working on the solution???because you guys complaint it!!!

Off course I'm not happy with .SO I've called VCA and guide one of officers to this thread

and they will be monitoring this issue fro now.because it's not single issue any more.

I've been told to lodge a formal complaint to Honda which I suggest all of us to do it

asap!!!

we are not fools!!!

denot
24-03-2009, 01:21 PM
...only 114kW (btw, did you use this as an example, or do you have some info ? - would be good to know) then...

Hi mate, sorry for the confusion, its just an example (based on the civic sports figure, if I can remember correctly...

anyway, hopes this problem fix for you guys (I havent, hopfully never, got this problem)

unity
24-03-2009, 05:27 PM
hi ,guys ,I'm new here, bought the car 2 months ago ,same probs as everyone.

have been contacting the dealer and the Honda Australia regarding the knocking noise

and low power at pinging time without any happy answer from the Honda Australia, the

manager from Honda said it's normal sound!!!then said they've working on it .I asked if

it's normal why you working on the solution???because you guys complaint it!!!

Off course I'm not happy with .SO I've called VCA and guide one of officers to this thread

and they will be monitoring this issue fro now.because it's not single issue any more.

I've been told to lodge a formal complaint to Honda which I suggest all of us to do it

asap!!!

we are not fools!!!

Typical dealer response. Which dealer did you speak to?

fire88
24-03-2009, 07:21 PM
hi guys ,I think we should lodge formal complaints against Honda Au asap . everyone, we

have to act now on it for us!ring the consumer affairs to tell them what's going on!

we have to get enough attentions .

Stand up guys!

Joystick
24-03-2009, 07:37 PM
*sits down*

SPQR
25-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Are you for real SPQR ?

Keep your day job.

I type therefore I am. I don't own a CU2 yet but I would like the problem to be fixed because I'd like to own a CU2 (V6) one day; preferably not one with any problems. I was trying to help to identify some sort of pattern but that proved elusive.

buddah51au
25-03-2009, 11:44 PM
what makes you think we will get the V6 Euro in Australia? I believe if it goes ahead it will be for USA only. The 2.4L Euro is quick enough for most people while giving economy that almost matches the Civic. I will post some economy figures in the next few days based on an average over 5,000km.

I'm with joystick & will sit down with him.

SPQR
27-03-2009, 07:54 AM
^^ I was just wishing out loud.:) V6's can be economical a well. But having never owned any car with more than 4 cylinders (Escort RS2000, Laser TX3 Turbo, Mazda GTX Turbo, Subaru WRX) I'd like to have a V6 one day and so it would be nice if it was in a CU2.

SPQR
16-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Ha ha. Read it all before (lol).

repeated_love
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
i have a problem when i drive slow in my 94 accord, at 1.5k revs it makes a bad droning sound but when i go over 3k its fine.

thing is at 3k constant i will be over the speed limit, i have had 2 mechs check it out ad they say it is fine.

Belinda03
08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
There is a known issue with these Euros, but people need to realise that whenever a manufacturer releases a new model there will be some teething problems. Unfortunately they can build a car, and run it under numerous situations and conditions without any glitches, yet these glitches can present once the car is released.

I do agree that there are a lot of dodgy dealers out there who don't really care about fixing the problem, but there are also a lot of dealers who do care about making sure their customers are happy. Like most problems, at first it will be pretty much a case of trial and error until there is adequate proof of exactly what causes the problem and how to fix it properly as opposed to using simple bandaid solutions.

If everyone works together with things they think work and don't work, it will help narrow down the matter and give owners with this problem a way of talking to their dealers as to what they want tried.

binhcat
09-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Problem has been resolved. Contact your local dealership so they replace the part which is causing this problem. I got mines fixed 3 weeks ago.

MKI4EVA
09-12-2009, 08:53 AM
^^ I was just wishing out loud.:) V6's can be economical a well. But having never owned any car with more than 4 cylinders (Escort RS2000, Laser TX3 Turbo, Mazda GTX Turbo, Subaru WRX) I'd like to have a V6 one day and so it would be nice if it was in a CU2.

I was actually hoping our delayed purchase would turn out with Honda releasing a V6 CU2 too. Heards it's released in US.

that would be fkn awesome...........performance would keep you quite entertained.

Type R Positive
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
that would be fkn awesome...........performance would keep you quite entertained.
And the weight of the thing leaving you quite disapointed....

buddah51au
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
It wont happen in Australia as we already have a V6 accord. I can't see the point really as a V6 Euro would be priced above the Thai built V6 Accord & would therefore only sell in very small numbers.

Lets say it put out 200kw, handling would be compromised with plow understeer, as all V6 FWD cars are, so add 4WD into the equation & it would price itself out of the market ..... my view only.

SPQR
11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I totally agree about the handling compromise but where I live, there aren't many corners and bends, just lots of soldiers that have returned from Afghanistan that blow their tax-free $50K bonus on crappy old (but fast) Nissan GTS & GTR's. It'd be nice to show them a "cultured" fast car in the form of a CU2 V6. Just dreaming....

As I have said before, I have never-ever owned a car with more than 4 cylinders...But please just once before they're banned would be nice.:angel:

aussiebuddha
23-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi mate.
Do you have any more information on this?
My dealer was completely unaware of the problem or fix.
TY

binhcat
23-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Are you serious? Did they sit in the car with you while you were driving it so they can hear the noise?
I'm not sure what the official term was but I vaguely remember it was something along the lines of knocking. Pinging is the term most users are use to.

What state are you from?

aussiebuddha
23-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm in NSW.
Actually that was in trivetts Parramatta, they told me they charged to check for noises, and they werent covered under warranty.
Very bad. will probably go to a different dealer, but i wanted to get as much information as possible before going.

binhcat
23-09-2010, 02:44 PM
You're kidding me right? If you're car is still under warranty then they have to check it. I will email the Honda head office/the service manager and anyone else you can think of (thats what i did) to get the problem check and fixed. It's a known problem. Tell them to contact Essendon Honda in Victoria if they have no idea. How many kms have you done on your car? Is it a brand new car?

aussiebuddha
23-09-2010, 03:01 PM
just gave trivetts a call.
the guys who picked up the phone, knew about the issue and told me it does not affect all CU2s, and they fix it by replacing the knock sensor.
Booked in for next week, hope it all goes well and stops the annoying noise.

binhcat
23-09-2010, 03:04 PM
That sounds about right.. the knock sensor. Correct, it doesn't affect all CU2 models just a handful. We were the lucky ones to buy one in that handful. good luck

aussiebuddha
29-09-2010, 10:41 PM
got it fixed.
seems the knock sensore replacement did the trick (for the time being)

newhonda09
16-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I totally agree about the handling compromise but where I live, there aren't many corners and bends, just lots of soldiers that have returned from Afghanistan that blow their tax-free $50K bonus on crappy old (but fast) Nissan GTS & GTR's. It'd be nice to show them a "cultured" fast car in the form of a CU2 V6. Just dreaming....

As I have said before, I have never-ever owned a car with more than 4 cylinders...But please just once before they're banned would be nice.:angel:

Hi Man, i just new to this site, i got same problem, my one is a used 2009 CU2, 16000kms, can you please let me what should i do?

newhonda09
16-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Man, i just new to this site, i got same problem, my one is a used 2009 CU2, 16000kms, can you please let me what should i do?

newhonda09
16-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi eur001, i just new to this site, i got same problem, my one is a used 2009 CU2, 16000kms, can you please let me what should i do? really upset about this issue.

Fredoops
17-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi eur001, i just new to this site, i got same problem, my one is a used 2009 CU2, 16000kms, can you please let me what should i do? really upset about this issue.

Triple post mate. bascially take it to a honda dealer and pray it's still under warranty.

praja6
17-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear the issue. Please take it to honda dealer and let them fix it..

Good luck

bingbong
21-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I just started to hear this as well from my 2010 Cu2. sounds like keys hitting each other. Anyone found out about this? I will have my yearly service so ima let Honda know.

Fredoops
21-05-2011, 10:15 AM
It's the knock sensor it appears, its a
Reoccurring problem with the CU2 it seems