PDA

View Full Version : Euro Fuel Consumption

dareyah
28-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I know a similar thread was posted a while back. I figured that since we have more Euro owners now, that it wont hurt to ask again.

I'm driving a *points to sig* and am getting just about 500Km per tank. This is suburban driving. Drove down to Melbourne a while back and I think I almost managed 750 on an almost empty tank (Princess Hwy after leaving Syd). Had to refuel due to not knowing when the next pump will arrive :D

Whats everyone else achieving?

euro77
28-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Haven't took it out of town yet, but so far it's around 11.5-12.5L/100km, still no improvement since I first got it. Maybe cause I drove it hard most of the time :D

coladuna
28-09-2004, 10:30 PM
I did about 330km from full tank (I think. assuming that the dealer filled it up to the max) and the needle is sitting slightly below half-way point. This was with mostly stop and go traffic because I tried to stay away from constant speed highway cruise.
My guesstimate is that I'll be able to do 600 km at least with full tank.
The engine's only done 330km, so I expect it to improve as it loosens up.

Type R Positive
28-09-2004, 10:47 PM
I can get about 850kms out of a tank highway driving, maybe more.
Thats sitting on around 150km/h (110km/h speed limit over here). We are blessed with vast streches of highway with no cops. No anything come to think of it.

I get around 750km - 800km out of a tank around town. The Girly drives it as her daily driver. She babies it too much (I don't think she has ever gone over 4000rpm, I know, SAD). Not me though:):):) I like droping back to 3rd to over take! Commodores and Falcons have no chance.

yfin
28-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Haven't took it out of town yet, but so far it's around 11.5-12.5L/100km, still no improvement since I first got it. Maybe cause I drove it hard most of the time :D

Euro77 - That is quite high - is this mainly stop start peak hour driving?

My average is something like 10L/100km after 12500kms. That is almost all city driving but not usually bumper to bumper peak hour. I definately don't drive like a granny as I love 6000rpm too much... Are you using 98 ron fuel?

dareyah
28-09-2004, 11:26 PM
I can get about 850kms out of a tank highway driving, maybe more.

Thanks for confirming that the Euro is capable of doing 700+ on a tank (hwy driving). I doubted myself for a long time.

I wish I got as much economy out of my town driving as you do ;)

Has anyone also noticed that the fuel gauge doesn't really move much in the first 100Km of city driving? Mine only moves like 5%. After that it just accelerates till empty :rolleyes:

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 12:57 AM
If you baby it as much as my GF, you would get great fuel economy. I doubt you could, she drives sooo easy. You should try it just once for a tank and see what kays you can get out of it.

700+kms a tank for highway driving no worries. I think honda quotes 9.1L/100kms combined. This means it would use stuff all on the highway, unless on high cams. vtec in 6 gear for me is well over 200kms/h. I haven't tried it......yet:p

Pum[Z]
29-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Yeah u should be getting around 100km/10 litres for city driving...

I get around 550 km per full tank...

Yeah wondering whats the fastest u guys done on ur euros?? I have only tried up to 190 and that was because my gf wanted to drag me in her bmer... (It feels pretty comfortable at that speed though)...

VirIIx
29-09-2004, 03:20 AM
i'd have to agree with most people, getting about 10L/100km

I fuel up around 550-600km, and this is just sitting driving.
When i get heavy on the pedal i lose a bit, probably 50km so overall, it is worth being a bit heavy sometimes ;)

Still waiting to take it out on a big cruise to see how much i can rfeally squeeze from it

Faiz
29-09-2004, 09:47 AM
6 litres from newcastle to sydney i think???

jtboo
29-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I normally do about 560 km when I go to Brisbane. Still got a 1/4 tank left after that.

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 06:09 PM
6 litres from newcastle to sydney i think???
That would be over 1000kms per tank. not bad at all! :D

dareyah
29-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Ahh, I forgot to also ask. With these Km's. Are we using up our reserves or pre reserves (fuel amber light)? I've not been able to exceed 560Km locally... That was with city driving and almost running on petrol vapours :) I guess I drive it pretty hard. I tend to floor it up to 100-120 then slow down...

The fastest I've done so far is about 160. This was during my trip to Mel and it was double demerit long w/e. Silly thing I guess, but it was a new car and wanted a feel for the stability at higher speeds.

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Ahh, I forgot to also ask. With these Km's. Are we using up our reserves or pre reserves (fuel amber light)? I've not been able to exceed 560Km locally... That was with city driving and almost running on petrol vapours :) I guess I drive it pretty hard. I tend to floor it up to 100-120 then slow down...

The fastest I've done so far is about 160. This was during my trip to Mel and it was double demerit long w/e. Silly thing I guess, but it was a new car and wanted a feel for the stability at higher speeds.
I have never gone below 1/4 to 1/5 of a tank. It is not good. (I don't know why, I think it is in the manual somewhere, or it could be the crap settles out in the bottom of the tank).

The euro only starts to float over 200km/h :D It has pretty good handling, I nearly hit a semi today, overtaking stupid work utes at 160km/h. (long story)

VirIIx
29-09-2004, 10:53 PM
you could always start a thread about the long story ;)

nothing like a bit of venting!

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Just bastards turning on to the highway that could have waited for me to pass. Everyone here does it. I could have waited, but I'm impatient. You know how it is, drop back to 4th and plant it through the floor!

I had plenty of room (2 car lengths) but I had the missus in the ear and I was kinda worried about my nipples.

It was 2 lanes on my side, a 4 trailer semi in one and 3 slow utes in the other. I had to get infront.

euro77
29-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Euro77 - That is quite high - is this mainly stop start peak hour driving?

My average is something like 10L/100km after 12500kms. That is almost all city driving but not usually bumper to bumper peak hour. I definately don't drive like a granny as I love 6000rpm too much... Are you using 98 ron fuel?

Just filled the tank tonight (cause I heard the fuel price is rising again), and I got 12.2L/100km. I mostly drive it around town, no freeways, and during peak hour. not so bad going to work, cause I leave early from home, but really bad going back from work to home. But every weekend I drive around in it, sometimes through freeway, and it's still around that figure. :(

PERTH_EURO
29-09-2004, 11:43 PM
It was 2 lanes on my side, a 4 trailer semi in one and 3 slow utes in the other. I had to get infront.

Salt truck??

How the hell does the dozer on that salt stockpile still exist??

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, it was just in front of there funny enough! They moved the dozer down the wharf though, the pile there is f'ing huge!

qmjona
05-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Im getting around 8 litres / 100km, open road. Prety happy with that, but have also had 12 round town, so obviously type of driving (and size of right boot) are the biggest factors.

Matell
06-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I've been getting on average 8.85L/100km with both stop start city driving and highway combined. Since revising my driving style in an effort to prolong the life of my clutch I've been staying in gear higher up the rev band and not notching it back into 6th when cruising at 65kmh (indicated) 60kmh (actual). I haven't worked out my new fuel consumption yet. Top speed is currently 195kmh indicated (didn't have my GPS on that run :( ), and am eager to find a better strip of road to see just how fast she'll go. Also very peeved at Honda drilling our bumpers to mount the front rego plate bracket :mad: . But that's another story. :cool:

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 02:21 PM
I get 500max....

After the little orange light comes on...i think there is still a lot of fuel left....it's weird how they don't have a trip computer to calculate everything like on most cars....

Type R Positive
06-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I get 500max....

After the little orange light comes on...i think there is still a lot of fuel left....it's weird how they don't have a trip computer to calculate everything like on most cars....
what are you talking about? like on commodore berlina's that tell you how many kms you can do with what is left in the tank? They aren't worth the worry, they are never accurate.

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 03:15 PM
nono...like the cars avg and current fuel consumption levels...

coladuna
06-10-2004, 06:41 PM
It'd be nice to have a trip computer, but you don't really use if after a few days. My sister's car has one and we never even use it anyway.
It's good to confirm what the average fuel consumption is, but after a while it remains constant and you never have to check again anyway.

Type R Positive
06-10-2004, 07:23 PM
nono...like the cars avg and current fuel consumption levels... Yeah, like the commodore berlina!

evolution42
06-10-2004, 07:25 PM
yeh i lost my trip computer when i traded in the calais for the euro :(

Type R Positive
06-10-2004, 07:56 PM
at least you traded up! I have a mate that sold his Euro and brought a commodore. He got a slappin!

yfin
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
yeh i lost my trip computer when i traded in the calais for the euro :(

Dude, with respect, you are 16 years old - on your L plates with a new Euro! You are the last person on this board who needs a trip computer :D

hehe :p Sorry - this is all tongue in cheek - good to have you on the board...

euro77
07-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Just drove my car last weekend to silvan (tulip festival), and I got 10.5L/100km. Not a major improvement considering it's out of town driving :(

yfin
07-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Just drove my car last weekend to silvan (tulip festival), and I got 10.5L/100km. Not a major improvement considering it's out of town driving :(

Hmmm - something doesn't sound right. Have you driven a full tank with almost all highway driving - ie 6th gear? If you can't get under 9L/100 for that sort of driving something is wrong. Your around the town figure of 12L is on the high side but you do say you sit in bumper to bumper traffic during peak hour.

Here are a few more questions -- at 50kph/60kph/70kph/80kph what gear do you cruise in?

euro77
07-10-2004, 10:28 PM
50kph - 4th
60/70kph - 5th
>80kph - 6th, unless I need to take over

I haven't had much long distance constant driving on my euro. I mean it's only 11km to my office and no highway in between, and lots of red light!

yfin
07-10-2004, 10:34 PM
50kph - 4th
60/70kph - 5th

I haven't had much long distance constant driving on my euro. I mean it's only 11km to my office and no highway in between, and lots of red light!

You are gearing fine (you actually conserve more fuel cruising at 60 than me - I don't use 5th until 70kph). I think 12L is a bit high.. Give it a long trip and see how you go with consumption. I presume you are using 98 RON.

Speaking of long trips - I drove to Warrnambool and back last week (around 550km return - my longest constant drive yet). You may think I am crazy but the next day in Melbourne back from the trip my engine was amazing - it was revving so fast and strong it was unbelievable. This week it appears to be back to normal :confused: .. Weird... The car has about 13500kms on the odo....I think my Euro is eccentric - some days it revs normally - other days it revs noticeably faster at full throttle.

Type R Positive
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
50kph - 4th
60/70kph - 5th

I think you have to go and blow out the cobwebs!

I suppose I am lucky here, no traffic lights....just no traffic!

euro77
09-10-2004, 01:05 AM
yeah, I'm using BP Ultimate (98 RON)

I should go out of town again this weekend :D

Dominik
09-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Going back a bit, Type R Positive, you mentioned you can get 750-800kms to a tank and you also said you dont go below 1/4 tank... How many litres per 100km are you getting??

I always get jealous when people start discussing fuel economy; I baby my car everywhere i go, yet some people always get unbelievable fuel economy. With my last car there were people claiming to get 650km around town, when i struggled to get 350!! (This was a 4L V8 too...)

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Going back a bit, Type R Positive, you mentioned you can get 750-800kms to a tank and you also said you dont go below 1/4 tank... How many litres per 100km are you getting??

I always get jealous when people start discussing fuel economy; I baby my car everywhere i go, yet some people always get unbelievable fuel economy. With my last car there were people claiming to get 650km around town, when i struggled to get 350!! (This was a 4L V8 too...)
yeah mate, where I live, there is no traffic lights. The place here consists of two towns close together, about 15kms apart. My GF works in the next town over, so it is basically highway driving to get there (90km speed limit, so anywhere around 100km/h). This will make a difference compared to you in the city!! I would still rather be in the city getting crap fuel economy, we pay about $1.25/L for premium and it is crap.

I noticed yesterday when I tried to do another 200km/h+ run, It drunk abit of fuel. I had to abort, too many cars on the highway. I won't try again till my coilovers have arrived and are installed. It starts to float over 200km/h.

Dominik
09-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Yea, i think that i've heard that the best fuel economy is between 80-100km/h

Still interested to know how many L/100km you are getting out there... I think thats a better way of comparing fuel economy (rather than how many kms per tank). I always reset my Odometer every time i tank up, so i can see exactly what my fuel economy was for that tank...

BTW, regular fuel is up to 110c/L here, so optimax would be close to what you pay!

To tell the truth, i've been getting good fuel economy lately... I get around 10L/100km for peak hour traffic every day (regular fuel)

qmjona
09-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Over the last week or so I have done a few long runs, I was getting about 600-650km and re-filling with about 50 litres (so still about 100ks left on the tank), + a fair head wind and speeding up & slowing down. based on this I can see that on good run on open road I could get 800+ if prepared to run the tank close to empty.

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah I'd say anywhere between 7 and 10L/100kms. I havent gone through too many tanks yet (~3500kms on the clock), but great fuel economy.

You have the best economy when you are not accelerating! doesn't matter what speed. I guess low revs would play a big part too.

Archangel
09-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I get about 500km out of a tank, i've still only filled it up a couple of times though.
This is driving in Sydney with quite a bit of city driving, manual.