PDA

View Full Version : D series gear box removal

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 05:07 PM
hey

ive been using the search heaps and ive been using this fabulous site to do a clutch change

now i dont know the first thing on cars just the other day i had to call RAA to change a flat tyre but the other dya my clutch went so im trying to change it

now so far i have goten all the bolts out to remove the gear box excepct it wont budge , ive tryed everything but it wont slide out

now i was looking just b4 and it looks as if there are 2 bolts inside the gear box which connects to the fly wheel like a bracket , it said nothing in the guide about removing them but it looks as it has to be removed there a pain to get to it looks like that is why im posting

pic is below

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9122/boltsdontknowjt8.th.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boltsdontknowjt8.jpg)

u can barley see the bolts i could reach them with a spanner but how hard would they be to put back in ?

JasonGilholme
26-08-2008, 05:09 PM
have you removed the transmision engine mount?

have you removed the drive shafts?

have you removed the clutch line from the box?

Paul1985
26-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Make sure you have the engine jacked up.. use an engine cradle if possible or a jack with a block of wood under the sump, just to hold it in position.

you need to remove any mounts holding the tranny to the engine/body.
remove driveshafts, clutch line, tanny earth, tranny electrical plugs etc..

Remove all the bolts holding the tranny housing to the engine.
My guess to why you are stuck is that you would have missed a bolt somewhere.

Often you need to get a screwdriver inbetween the gap and give it a light pull.. be sure you have a jack under the trans and someone guiding it though. Dont use too much force though, if it wont go, look for the source of the problem.

Paul1985
26-08-2008, 05:15 PM
You know what you prob forgot to take off...
the starter motor.. you need to remove that also.

Paul1985
26-08-2008, 05:17 PM
btw. You do not need to reach into the tranny case to pull out any bolts in order to remove the tranny. The flywheel and clutch will stay with the engine.

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 05:18 PM
i took the starter motor out comon sense

sigh will cheek again

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 05:21 PM
i dont understand the procedure of hiting the diff casing with a hammer and what does the realse fork got to do with it

please someone give me a instruction how to so i can please due to i got a tough person coming in 20mins to lift the gear box out just need to make it move

JasonGilholme
26-08-2008, 05:22 PM
don't hit the casing with a hammer.

you should be able to wedge a screw driving in and start it, and then wiggle it off.

Did you remove the clutch/flywheel cover that is near the sump?? 4-6 or so tiny bolts that need to come off.

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 05:27 PM
no i havent removed the flywheel cover

well yes i have ive removed all the bolts on fly wheel cover expect for the shift linkages but i just want to remove the Gbox for now n thats it then mess with the rest later on

JasonGilholme
26-08-2008, 05:31 PM
you need to remove the fly wheel cover to pull the gear box off.

the fly wheel cover will hit the clutch/fly as you pull the gbox off and prevent you from getting the box of all together.

its this thing

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/jdmcivicman/ebay/DSCN0663.jpg

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 07:13 PM
so the flywheel cover has to come of at the same time as the gear box

so in noob words the whole gear box + fly wheel combo comes out at once?

BluEG
26-08-2008, 07:27 PM
from the look of the pic you are trying to remove the g/box casing, not
the whole g/box.

nugget1
26-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Just the flywheel cover needs to come off, the flywheel will stay bolted to the engine.

Rice_banger
26-08-2008, 10:39 PM
figured it out

i was trying to prey the gear box of from the bell housing , now i need to some how re allighn the cogs and bolt it back together grrr

JasonGilholme
27-08-2008, 08:40 AM
lol damn.

take the box off as best you can and once its off it'll be easier to realign the two main shafts in the gear box.

They can't really come out unless you've undone the main bolt which is on the end of the box. (not near the bolts you were undoing).

Download this before you go any further:

http://pdftown.com/PDF-Honda-Civic-1992-1995-Service-Manual.html

Rice_banger
27-08-2008, 12:01 PM
ok cheers for the help

i managed to reallaighn the casing back to the gbox thank god it just went back together

so now ive got to remove the shift linkages
and then should she slip out ?

im not sure what to do with the realse fork tough ?

Rice_banger
27-08-2008, 05:01 PM
done its out,

now time to remove the clutch ,

theres the clutch pressure plate i believe, i tryed removing it but got no luck it just turns , what am i meant to do , remember i dont know what im doing cant even change a flat tyre

JasonGilholme
27-08-2008, 05:07 PM
you need to pry a screw driver between the flywheel teeth, and the block. Get someone to hold it if you can. makes life a little easier.

Do you have a clutch alignment tool for the install of the new clutch??

Rice_banger
27-08-2008, 05:25 PM
you need to pry a screw driver between the flywheel teeth, and the block. Get someone to hold it if you can. makes life a little easier.

Do you have a clutch alignment tool for the install of the new clutch??

will be buying one plus some sealant for the gbox

so its a str8 out swap then rebuild the car again

im scared of this procedure called changing the clutch

JasonGilholme
27-08-2008, 05:33 PM
installing the clutch is easy. Just take your time, and read any instructions that came with your clutch.

print out the pages that are in that manual i linked you too and you can't go wrong.

Just take your time and be patient.

Rice_banger
27-08-2008, 07:03 PM
ok thanks

thanks jason for the PM

im geting the clutch on friday , so before that i need to remove flyhweel get it machined and i also got to reseal the gear box due to i split it apart by accident

since i got the whole thing out ive tryed to prey it apart again it wont prey apart tough and all bolts are out ?

should i just put all the bolts back in and tighten , or it needs new sealant

JasonGilholme
28-08-2008, 08:36 AM
it won't come apart because theres's another bolt on the end of the gear box (near the transmission mount). Its a 32mm bolt but you undo it with a 3/8" rachet (4 sided).

once you undo that you'd need to remove the snap ring to release the countershaft so you can take the casing.

IMO, you'd be fine by just applying a little sealant in the gap that you've created and then bolting it all back together. Lets just hope you haven't done anything to the alignment of the main/counter shaft and any associated bearings.

Sounds like you used alot of force getting it apart.

Rice_banger
29-08-2008, 02:59 PM
ok i sealed up the gear box with $15 of sealant and rebolted it back together

was wondering , how tight do i tighten the flywheel , do i do it the same as how i took it of ?

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 03:03 PM
if i can remember off the top of my head its 120nm? i can't remember too well though.

check the manual man!!!

Do them up in a criss cross pattern though and in 2 - 3 stages too.

when you're tightening up the pressure place make sure you can still move the alignment tool in/out freely and the friction plate is not resting on it.

Just checked: Its 120nm!

Rice_banger
29-08-2008, 04:35 PM
ok, dam i did wrong , i just mounted the flywheel with out doing criss cross pattern well i did but didn't have clue

and amm , so the flywheel cover the black thing , does that slip in before doing up the flywheel or after ?

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 04:36 PM
the fly wheel cover goes on after you've bolted the gearbox back on. one of the last few things that goes on.

along with all the brackets and wiring loom.

Rice_banger
29-08-2008, 04:43 PM
ok cool cheers

and now god im embarced to ask this

but i bought a super cheap auto brand clutch aligning tool , got instructions on the back but i dont quite 110% under stand it , any advice

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 04:49 PM
once the fly wheel is on you put the tool into the center where the pilot bearing goes. (the hole)

then you slip the fricion disc over it to center it on the fly wheel. then you put the pressure plate over the top of the friction disc and line its holes up on the flywheel.

as you tighten the pressure plate (in the way i described before) you need to keep jiggling the alignment tool and making sure the friction disk isn't stopping it from coming out.

the tool needs to slide in and out smoothly as its exactly what the input shaft on the gear box has to do (an alignment tool can be made from the input shaft out of interest)

make sure you go around the pressure plate a few times, you will find that once you do your pattern once the bolts that you thought were tight will feel looser. just keep on going around the pattern until they're all done up firmly.

Rice_banger
29-08-2008, 09:45 PM
emergency help me i got tough people at my house helping

they need to know

how do u install the flywheel cover, we have slipped in the gear box alrady but onmly by 2 bolts so what to do help pelase

do we even need the plate

aimre
30-08-2008, 11:04 AM
props to u sir, cant change a tire then straight into a clutch change. Thats the only thing that i cbf doin on my car

Rice_banger
30-08-2008, 11:33 AM
did it , my mates "figured" it out , we put it before the flywheel went in
and as the gear box went on the same bolts closed the flywheel wheel

Rice_banger
30-08-2008, 07:34 PM
sigh im stuck

the motor wont start it flashes starter motor , so ya i need to know where the plugs go to the starter motor again , silly me should know but ya

lilcrx
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
ooo shit the motor wont start lol nows a good time to call a mechanic lol

JasonGilholme
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
haha no worries. he's got it going now.

after a few phone calls to me its all fixed :p