PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

yohji
27-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I've been having a clutch propblem with my Ek9. The clutch travel is usually quite deep but over the last 2 days the bite point has all of a sudden changed to near the bottom of the floor & have lost all feel as I push down the clutch pedal.

Is this a sure sign the clutch is at the end of its life or is it a clutch fluid level issue? What should I do?

Have searched the forums but all the threads seem to relate to aftermarket HD clutches. Mine is stock with 60,000kms.

Have gotten a few quotes for a new clutch from the traders on here already but just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this. Cheers.

markoJEK1
27-08-2008, 04:44 PM
So you are saying the engagement point was quite high at the return of the clutch pedal, but last few days it has shortened, and engages pretty soon after its depressed completely?

yohji
27-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm experiencing, though the bite point wasn't that high previously. Any ideas?

02gzm
27-08-2008, 05:12 PM
You have an air bubble in your clutch system from the sounds of things. Check the level in the reservoir, it'll probably be empty or very low. Check for leaks at the master cylinder behind the pedal and the slave cylinder down at the gearbox. Master cylinders like to leak in civics. Check out this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96890) thread which is like 1 thread above yours. There's a pic on the 2nd page that will show you what a leaking cylinder will look like.

You'll just have to add more fluid and bleed it (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96890) properly to regain pressure. Then just get the problem part replaced when you can.

markoJEK1
27-08-2008, 05:17 PM
yep as above, eliminate the possibility of an air bubble then look into it further if it persists

yohji
27-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Cheers guys, yeah I've read the thread about the clutch fluid before posting but wasn't really sure if i was having the same problem as he didn't describe any difference in clutch pedal pressure, thanks for pointing it out.

EK1.6LCIV
28-08-2008, 01:05 PM
yea isnt very good same problem with mine, the parts are dirt cheap anyhow, even at Honda for a new slave and master cylinder theyre only $149, cheaper for OE replacement parts else where (my route). Mine has only just gone and at 200,ooo kays for the original one, which considering is great as the dealer said 100,ooo kays is the norm

vinnY
28-08-2008, 07:10 PM
flush the clutch fluids and see how you go first, cheapest option

Encor3
28-08-2008, 09:17 PM
i had the same issue, its your clutch master cylinder you can check this by looking under the clutch pedal (where it meets the firewall) if there is any liquid then you'll be needing to replace it.

It should only cost about 120 installed. as the part is only around 80 dollars when I got it

fatboyz39
29-08-2008, 09:43 AM
sounds like clutch master/slave cylinder. How are your clutch fluid levels?

EK1.6LCIV
29-08-2008, 12:03 PM
i had the same issue, its your clutch master cylinder you can check this by looking under the clutch pedal (where it meets the firewall) if there is any liquid then you'll be needing to replace it.

It should only cost about 120 installed. as the part is only around 80 dollars when I got it

that's pretty cheap installed, labour alone in Brissy for low grade mechs is in the $70 an hr range or $120 for Honda, lol lol lol, parts for master and slave oe replacement are around $70, geniune parts are $150 from Honda

EK1.6LCIV
29-08-2008, 12:05 PM
sounds like clutch master/slave cylinder. How are your clutch fluid levels?

It was low in the reserve which sparked an interest, so on the pic it shows the fluid coming out of the cap, both parts are ordered already, just going to do it on the weekend if it comes in today lol :cool: :honda: