PDA

View Full Version : Help EK4 Vtir - Loud noise in engine bay? whining from gearbox.

obsessionz
29-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Help EK4 Vtir - Loud noise in engine bay? whining from gearbox.

When I start car in morning on cold start there is a loud noise coming from gearbox area.. but as soon as i put my foot in on clutch? the noise stops... if i release clutch noise comes back on again? but once car warms up the noise dissapears...

Today when i was driving I felt the clutch start to chatter? vibrate when releasing it? anyone know what this issue could be... Clutch isnt slipping ... still drives fine..

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 11:06 AM
whinning could be your input shaft bearing. Not sure though

vibrating during clutch release could mean your flywheel needs machining.

How hard do you drive the car??

obsessionz
29-08-2008, 11:36 AM
i drive it normal ... sometimes i hit vtec and you hear me screaming out the window Vtec YO! but other then that lol yeh

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 11:36 AM
hahaha. lol

Maybe just wear and tear and you need a service? new clutch/gearbox fluid maybe. see how it goes before changing your clutch or ISB.

obsessionz
29-08-2008, 11:39 AM
i think bearings are gone and clutch is on its way out maybe? its not slipping though...

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 11:43 AM
flywheel can warp from hard dumps and too much heat. thats why i asked you how you drive.

Always do your fluids first, see how that goes. if theres no improvement then do your clutch/fly/bearings.

obsessionz
29-08-2008, 11:46 AM
just had a major service so gearbox oil was just changed... will change clutch and bearings just hope that noise goes away...!

what clutch you reccomend? something abit more bitey then stock

JasonGilholme
29-08-2008, 11:55 AM
theres plenty of options out there.

I'm using a 6 puk, double sprung ceramic item from www.competitionclutch.com Good prices and great quality. Probably too much for NA though, they do have other options though.

you can always look through the traders on ozhonda, but IMO aussie prices are too hektic for the quality given.

JAP-S2K
29-08-2008, 12:22 PM
It sounds like an input shaft bearing! very common or possibly even a bearing inside the gearbox. I can't think of the name of it, but i killed mine in my EG. Apparently from hard cornering. I had it sorted and was told to overfill the gearbox with oil, as EG and EK B16a bearing boxes struggle to last more 60k of hard driving before they munch bearing.

tuffeg
30-08-2008, 01:15 PM
input shaft bearing most likley.
should maybe also consider getting your flywheel
machined. wont do it any harm