PDA

View Full Version : New battery advice, recommendations

EK9
29-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey ppls... time for me to get a new battery. Couldn't find any similar threads...

Replaced my stock battery a few years ago with a Century. Haven't had any issues with it until recently when i noticed the car started struggling a little start up... then the battery went flat last night with just the radio running for about 1hr, and that's with only 2 speakers connected! I thought it would have lasted a little longer then that...

Anyway, just wanted to find out what ppl are using, general costs and where to buy...

Some brands i've come across:
- Odyssey
- Optima
- Deka
- Pulse
- Century

Also, is it better to get the light weight slim batteries or ya normal chunky types? I'm not concerned about weight savings... lol. I'm also planning to run a 4ch amp (no sub) in the future, so wanna take that into account as well.

Just need advice and where to buy something decent, that can put up with a sound system and wont put a hole in my pocket. It's for my EK btw... :thumbsup:

Zdster
29-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Also, is it better to get the light weight slim batteries or ya normal chunky types? I'm not concerned about weight savings... lol. I'm also planning to run a 4ch amp (no sub) in the future, so wanna take that into account as well.

If you arnt interested in weight savings etc, then just go to Kmart and pick up another century or the like. No point spending large amounts on a slim battery in this case.

Zilli
29-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I use Supercharge maintenance free...

jim57a
29-08-2008, 04:35 PM
if you plan on running a decent ICE, then don't bother with the lightweight batteries. just get another century or similar batt. as Zdster suggested

lightweight batteries aren't designed to carry a large load and you might have your stereo dropping out if you turn it up.

hope this helps

EK9
29-08-2008, 04:42 PM
ok, so forget lightweight..

is there really any difference between the premium batteries like Odyssey compared to your regular Kmart/Autobarn/Supercheap ones like Century, Bosch?

Or do they all basically do the same thing?

rahul
29-08-2008, 05:12 PM
batteries like oddessy and optima are deep cycle, which means they can be discharged to a much higher degree and then effectively recharged.

if you discharge a normal battery too much, it probably will not hold charge effectively upon recharge. need to replace the battery.

i run a decent sq system with an nrma battery. just start the car up if you are playing music for a long period and upgrade your earths. no need to buy an expensive deep cycle battery unless you are after some serious spl

andiiso
29-08-2008, 05:23 PM
im in the exact same boat, my battery is gonna die soon and im gonna also be running a 4ch amp wid no sub and i drive an EK too .. i was bout to go buy a yellow top optima .. should i .. ? lol oh and also, how u mean by "upgrading earths" ?

90LAN
29-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Odyssey for sure
they perform better and last ten times longer
or i use 0EM battery from honda they are cheaper than the cheap replacement batteries

pulse is also good too i heard

eght
29-08-2008, 05:45 PM
im in the exact same boat, my battery is gonna die soon and im gonna also be running a 4ch amp wid no sub and i drive an EK too .. i was bout to go buy a yellow top optima .. should i .. ? lol oh and also, how u mean by "upgrading earths" ?

"upgrading earths" means grounding your engine better. this can be done by via a grounding kit or follow a DIY guide in the DIY section of ozhonda.

tuffeg
30-08-2008, 01:10 PM
mate im a mechanic at honda.
i suggest use the genuine battery
much better in my view.
kmart batterys and that are ok but can
stuff up alot.
genuine are not that expensive but yeah
just do your research and whatever you find best.

aaronng
30-08-2008, 01:12 PM
mate im a mechanic at honda.
i suggest use the genuine battery
much better in my view.
kmart batterys and that are ok but can
stuff up alot.
genuine are not that expensive but yeah
just do your research and whatever you find best.
What is a "genuine battery"? I have bought 2 batteries from the honda dealer and each time they are a different brand. :p

aaronng
30-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Replaced my stock battery a few years ago with a Century. Haven't had any issues with it until recently when i noticed the car started struggling a little start up... then the battery went flat last night with just the radio running for about 1hr, and that's with only 2 speakers connected! I thought it would have lasted a little longer then that...
THat is asking too much of any battery. Except the Odyssey and Optima Yellowtop. But are you willing to pay $300+ for that? Even the Optima in 51R still has problems after being revised.

For the money, I'd just get a AC Delco or Supercharge Gold. Both are about $120. Just don't deep cycle them.

You have to use the regular size ones. The location in your EK can't support a larger battery, unless you do a battery relocation into the boot.

andiiso
30-08-2008, 02:48 PM
THat is asking too much of any battery. Except the Odyssey and Optima Yellowtop. But are you willing to pay $300+ for that? Even the Optima in 51R still has problems after being revised.

For the money, I'd just get a AC Delco or Supercharge Gold. Both are about $120. Just don't deep cycle them.

You have to use the regular size ones. The location in your EK can't support a larger battery, unless you do a battery relocation into the boot.

wats "deep cycle them" mean ? lol cos at Honda (where i work) they sell Supercharge etc aswell so i mite get that since cheaper and easy to get.

aaronng
30-08-2008, 10:50 PM
wats "deep cycle them" mean ? lol cos at Honda (where i work) they sell Supercharge etc aswell so i mite get that since cheaper and easy to get.

Deep cycle means to use them til there is no more capacity. Lead acid batteries tend to shorten their lifespan once you drain them past 60% (if I remember the number correctly). You are meant to always keep a lead acid battery FULLY charged.

andiiso
31-08-2008, 01:39 AM
ohkz man, my battery is like under 50% from when i checked last time .. lol i gotta change it and im thinking of reco my alternator

aaronng
31-08-2008, 05:48 AM
ohkz man, my battery is like under 50% from when i checked last time .. lol i gotta change it and im thinking of reco my alternator

Doubt your alternator has a problem. Your battery wear comes from playing the stereo for more than 20 minutes with the engine off. Shorter if you have an aftermarket system with an amp.

MRGRIM
31-08-2008, 09:03 AM
best batt ive found and i punish them in a highly modded 4x4 ( 3 fitted )...also use same type in my ek ive got over 1200w of ice and i can play for near an hour and still kick it over no probs they are deep cycle too get your self a "calcium battery" they are a lot better than lead acid and only about 20-30 more

ive used these batterys for years and in both huge ice and hard core off road
(( avalible from most autopro shops also autobarn ))

phil3842
31-08-2008, 07:44 PM
definately get an optima. got one for my car about 6 weeks ago best battery on the market. i paid 330 from http://www.performancecaraudio.com.au/

vtek
31-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Imo Ive had the optima battery and you pay 3x more but do not get 3x more life out of them so I think its a waste of extra money. Just Stick with your normal battery but try to get the calcium calcium battery as they work well in the hondas and make sure that the CCA rating meets or exceeds what is required for the ek.

EKVTIR-T
31-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I've had an Odyssey up until recently that cost $399 and only lasted 3 years..
Biggest waste of money.
Definitely just stick to a normal one with a decent cca rating..

EK9
01-09-2008, 04:19 AM
don't ppl use full stops in their sentences anymore? :confused: lol

anyway, i wasn't intentionally planning to drain the battery... just forgot about it while doing some garage work :o

ok prob just call around tomorrow. called Autobarn other day, said they got Century batteries for about $150... i'll try Honda as well, c what types they got... guess i'll just grab another Century if i can't find anything else, since my current one has lasted me for quite a few years.

anybody know what a "decent" cca rating is for the EK?

twing
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
vin,
get supercharge from http://www.moorabbinbatteries.com.au/
mostly it'll just cost you $120.

90LAN
01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I've had an Odyssey up until recently that cost $399 and only lasted 3 years..
Biggest waste of money.
Definitely just stick to a normal one with a decent cca rating..

my odyssey battery has lasted 5 years and still going with its new owner

EKVTIR-T
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok.
Did you have an audio system?Any amps?

Limbo
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
get the largest battery that will fit with the greatest CCA. Also no maintence is also great
that's what i did and it's been heaps better.

andiiso
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
310CCA is minimum for EK, so anything above that will be fine depending on ur application oh and yer i agree wid limbo, maintenance free is always good

90LAN
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok.
Did you have an audio system?Any amps?

yeah dvd system and speakers
but i perfered to listen to my engine acoutics

barefootbonzai
03-09-2008, 03:29 PM
OEM Honda battery @ $80ish can't go wrong, i use this on most cars i work on.

But since my EK needs bling, i use an oddessy! Mines been going for 3 years now without an issue - dvd, splits, amp and SUBWOOFER!!! DOOF DOOF DOOF

EK9
05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
only $80? Hmm... might give them a call now.

Was thinking bout just getting the Century again since it's done well previously.

What about Exide from Kmart? They're having a 15% off sale at the moment... Fathers day stuff.

andiiso
05-09-2008, 05:05 PM
i just put a supercharge gold in, in melbourne its cheaper then Honda OEM by bout 50 bux or so (from dealer) honda was 150 or something and supercharge gold 100 for me anyway

EK9
08-09-2008, 09:40 AM
where did you get the supercharge gold? been trying to find a seller in the westside, but no luck. only place around here seems to be supercharge themselves, but they're asking $120 for the battery.

akusuma
08-09-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.moorabbinbatteries.com.au/

got a quote for $110. they checked my battery and turned out that mine is still good :p

andiiso
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
where did you get the supercharge gold? been trying to find a seller in the westside, but no luck. only place around here seems to be supercharge themselves, but they're asking $120 for the battery.

i got mine for 100 at dealer (i work there so slightly cheaper) 120 isnt too bad

EK9
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
^^ all good. i ended up getting it for $120 after calling moorabbin who also quoted me $110. will install tonight and see how it goes!

EGB18CT
09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
kmart batteries are crap, half of then need charging already, bought two exides from kmart, never again from there, although the returns policy is good, chances are tho they wont have the same rated battery there in 6-12mths time if you have a warranty claim.

EK9
09-09-2008, 11:06 PM
was actually about to buy the exide... but ended up getting the supercharge gold.

anyway, tried installing battery tonight... no frikken luck at all. firstly, the supercharge barely fit, this little plastic clip was in the way... so i had to chop that off - it was holding some cables, but i clipped the non useful side. anyway, so battery was tied down, then found the terminals were too small for the new chunky battery connections. ARGH!

so has anyone replaced their own battery terminals? my car's sitting in the garage, can't really drive it to a mechanic to change. is it as simple as chopping off the old terminals, buying new terminals and wacking them on???

andiiso
10-09-2008, 07:03 AM
they gave u wrong battery, in the same size EK battery like dimensions theres 2 different sizes of terminals, and also the terminals should be away from ur firewall, cos they gave me wrong one and i put it on still, the positive was like half a cm from body of car .. so u can imgaine wat coulda happened if it touched lol.

EK9
10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
hmm... but my terminals are sitting in the correct postition, away from the firewall. i'll call them and find out. if not i'll just change the clamps, i think they're due for an upgrade anyway, lol.

andiiso
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
yer there are like 4 different ones,

1 big terminal wid positive on left n negative on right
1 big terminal wid opposite

1 small terminal wid positive on left n negative on right
and 1 small terminal wid opposite

so u must of got the right way of the terminals facing but wrong sized terminals ?

EK9
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
haha... i just ended up getting new connector/clamp thingy's... just chopped off the old crappy ones and installed the new. nice and clean looking now.

i fired up the car with the new battery and it's never started so quickly and easily! 1 crank and it was away... unlike before with the old battery, was cranking like 4 times before starting.

EGB18CT
11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
good to hear. replacing the terminals should give you no drama, just make sure its all secure and away you go!

misiu
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
ac delco dry cell one of the best

twing
17-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Vin,

One more tip: put some battery terminal spray to prevent oxidation. I changed my terminal about a year ago. When I took my battery out, there is already a bit blue powdery stuff at the bottom of the terminal.
I don't have the spray, so I use grease instead :p

Vlad D Impeller
22-09-2008, 04:02 AM
I often have my vehicle garaged for periods of anywhere between 1 and 2 months at a time.
What is the best way to preserve the battery?
I have thought of the possibility of using a Trickle-Charger of some sort, but i am not sure if a battery can remain on charge for such prolonged periods.
What are my pros and cons?

Zdster
22-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I often have my vehicle garaged for periods of anywhere between 1 and 2 months at a time.
What is the best way to preserve the battery?
I have thought of the possibility of using a Trickle-Charger of some sort, but i am not sure if a battery can remain on charge for such prolonged periods.
What are my pros and cons?

Get a quick disconnect for the battery (its like a screw top fitting) and just disconnect the battery when you leave.

AndyPandy
24-09-2008, 10:49 PM
hey. i just got a car battery call d & j batteries. yeah i know your prob thinking "ive never heard of it but one of my guys at work got it for me and its awesome. just a really good quality battery and its cheap. cost me like $66 and i got like 2?? 3 years warranty. the century at repco were gonna give me 6 months? good luck

NightKids
27-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Does the Supercharge Gold fit in an EG Battery plate?

Ero_Sennin
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
hey. i just got a car battery call d & j batteries. yeah i know your prob thinking "ive never heard of it but one of my guys at work got it for me and its awesome. just a really good quality battery and its cheap. cost me like $66 and i got like 2?? 3 years warranty. the century at repco were gonna give me 6 months? good luck

if its relevant, i got a century battery in my pulsar for a bit over 3 years now, still going strong
so as long you get a battery which will do its job i guess

wun911
10-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Anyone have a CF battery? Is it reliable in winter etc?

http://www.theracingroom.com.au/pages/c_standard.asp?cid=-1047353034

The weight of my stock battery is 9.514 kg, the weight of the medium size brail is around 5.216 kg.

I have contacted the seller if I purchase 5 its free shipping or 10% off the price is anyone interested?

nd55
11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
> Anyone have a CF battery?

dry cell, carbon fibre case.

Save your money.

A glass mat battery is about the same weight, and will do just as good a job for much less.

They are available locally so you save big $$$ in freight.

Nick.

FAT VTI
11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Repco batterys go quite well.