PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox gone?

shole
30-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Bit of a new with this stuff so forgive me

I've got a EG VTi auto sedan which isn't running at the moment

Basically it won't engage in any gears or will engage for a few seconds before dying again after shutting down the engine for a while

For the past six months, there was an issue with what seems to be the gears slipping when going from 3rd to 4th or when stepping hard on the gas.

Obviously it would be best to take it to a mechanic but I was wondering if any of you guys could shed some light on where the issue lies?

I was thinking it is the gearbox but reading around this forum, it could also be a clutch?

Theres no gear crunching either.

Thanks,
Tan

squish85
05-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Could be the ignition module... gf's Ford automatic did the same thing... it hesitated and died when u shift it in gear.. but otherwise it was fine in Neutral...

Try doing a test... leave it in Neutral .. and see how long the engine takes to shutdown...versus when u shift it in gear...

if it really is the ignition module.. u can feel the car's engine dying (like when u pull the clutch out too soon in a manual car..)

Hope this helps..

shole
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
hey mate
engine is fine

revs fine but just doesn't go anywhere - seems like it's no longer engaging any gears

going to take it to a workshop next week

just wanted a rough idea on the problem so I don't get reamed by the mechanic

teh_mechanic
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
first off, your car is an auto so it doesn't have a clutch, only manual cars have a clutch....so no it is not a clutch problem.

from the brief description, it is definitely a gearbox problem.
first, start the engine and leave it in park or neutral, then open the bonnet and take the dipstick out that goes into the gearbox, you should see oil up to a level....if the level is oil level is low it can cause slippage or if very low you will get no drive at all.

-if there is no drive at all, then it could be an oil pump (inside the gearbox) problem, a low oil problem, a torque convertor problem, or a whole host of problems inside the box.
-if you can get reverse,but cant go forward, then chances are one of the bands that holds the clutchpacks (autos have clutch packs in them, they are quite different to a clutch that is used with a manual gearbox though, so dont get them confused) is playing up, as drive uses different bands than reverse does

you say it was slipping before and now it doesnt drive at all.....my guess is its a dying band inside the gearbox.....take the car to a mechanic as its quite a serious and involved problem (check the oil level ofcourse though as that is a very easy problem to fix,fill it, then find why the level dropped)....if the gearbox is dead,as it sounds like it is, then for value you are better off getting a used gearbox off another auto eg and putting it in yours, it will be much cheaper than trying to find a reconditioned one