PDA

View Full Version : runing in & first service

qmjona
29-09-2004, 08:14 PM
g'day.
picked up my euro this week.
very happy so far, picking up lots of info from this forum (thanks).

I'm off on holiday tomorrow, I will be up to about 2500km when I return.
With first service scheduled for 1000K or 1 month, any advise on whether I should find a dealer and get it done on route, or Ok to wait untill I return?

Will be mostly hwy driving obiously.

Also what's your thoughts on when I can start to see how she feels up around the redline? generally trying to stick below 4.5K at the moment.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

yfin
29-09-2004, 09:00 PM
I don't see waiting until your return being a problem for the service.

I wouldn't baby the car too much during break in- just my view. I ran the car through the rev range since new. Not a lot of full throttle and I didn't hit 6000rpm much - maybe 3 or 4 times in the first 1000kms. No hard standing starts either. I made sure I varied the revs.

When you do the highway miles don't use the cruise control for the first 1000kms. Try to avoid the same rpm for long distances. Again - this is just my view based on what I read and have heard. Lots of people have different views as to how to break in a car.

dareyah
29-09-2004, 09:23 PM
When you do the highway miles don't use the cruise control for the first 1000kms. Try to avoid the same rpm for long distances.

Can I ask why for both these suggestions? I used the cruise control during my long trip. I can't remember how many Km's I did with CC but this wasn't too long after my first 1000Km's. I guess the second suggestion is similar to the first being that cruise control would pretty much sustain the rpm?

Just curious...

ECU-MAN
29-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Can I ask why for both these suggestions? I used the cruise control during my long trip. I can't remember how many Km's I did with CC but this wasn't too long after my first 1000Km's. I guess the second suggestion is similar to the first being that cruise control would pretty much sustain the rpm?

Just curious...

when your engine is in its break in period you should vary the rpms coz combustion pressures will vary at different rpms so the combustion gasses pushing on the back of the compression ring will be changing giving the ring to cylinder wall a better wear in. also the cylinder ridge wear wont be constant. same with the rest of the engine parts as different rpms pose different component loads. so the parts wear in to each other better. this is my understanding of it.

also like yfin says, let it have some during the break in period.
just an example, at a place I worked at many moons ago, there was a company car which was brand new, 96 VTiR Civic, when they 1st came out. must of clocked up 20 000km before they sold it. I kidd you not being so new and the 1st civic with a B16a2 released in AU, EVERY one thrashed the crap out this thing from 12km on the clock. this thing saw redline each time I drove it, and I know all the other boys did the same coz we usede to compare stories. anyway this thing went alot harder than other B16A2 Civics and CRX's iv driven, it was like a freak of nature, very noticable. anyway Im not telling you to treat you car like that but just want to let you guys know that its true when you hear people say thinks like that about not babying the car too much.

qmjona
29-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks, will use the trip to try and get used to the manual/auto mode. That should avoid too long at same revs. Can't really understand what harm that would do [wrote that before I read reply above], but I have heard the suggestion before so I will try to avoid it too much.

I haven't had an auto before (and still wouldn't except for the need to comprimise with the boss, I would love that sweet 6 speed)
Even in the semi manual mode the feel is still very diffferent to a real manual.
That said, when shopping for a new car I drove lots and the honda did feel to me to be the most resposive in semi manual mode, some were very sluggish.

Back on the topic, looking at the checklist for the first service in the owners manual the only thing I was really wondering about was the oil change, otherwise looks mostly like a check up.

Type R Positive
29-09-2004, 10:23 PM
you glaze the bores if you break in at constant rpm. The block will stress according to the load which is why you must vary rpm's. A destressed engine is the best to use to do up, which is one that has had plenty of heat ups and cool downs. The tolerences of expansion / shrinkage will not vary much at all compared to a new engine. This is why old hot rodders bury V8 blocks for a few years.

I too had the same problem, except mine was I live about 1500kms away from the nearest dealer. I just got honda to send oils, spare filters and radiator coolant up to me. The first service is only a change from mineral oil to synthetic oil. They use mineral oil because it does not protect your engine as good as synthetic oil, which helps the engine "break" in.

I suggest you wait till you come back to get it serviced, If you are worried about your service book, just write in the 1000kms in the book your self before you go to get it serviced.

I just varied between to 4th, 5th and 6th on the highway.

EuroAccord13
30-09-2004, 01:02 PM
If you do it @ 2500kms after you come back, the dealer might void your warranty if anything goes wrong in the future.

The 1000km oil and filter change is to remove the impurities in the engine and I suggest you do that in order not to void the warranty....

CHEERS
Nick

Catcha
30-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Ring them up and ask them is the best way to ensure you get a correct answer when it comes to warranty issues and servicing......explain your situation and i'm sure it will be all good in the end

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 03:15 PM
If you do it @ 2500kms after you come back, the dealer might void your warranty if anything goes wrong in the future.

The 1000km oil and filter change is to remove the impurities in the engine and I suggest you do that in order not to void the warranty....

CHEERS
Nick
1000km service is just oil change, no filter. Mineral to synthetic.

ECU-MAN
30-09-2004, 03:18 PM

is FEO synthetic ????

my understanding is the oil from the factory is a run-in blend of oil.

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 03:21 PM
is FEO synthetic ????

my understanding is the oil from the factory is a run-in blend of oil.
No, not run in oil, it is blended synthetic. (I have a bottle in front of me)

ECU-MAN
30-09-2004, 03:23 PM
sorry what i ment was the oil the engine is shiped with from the factory, not the oil you get from spare parts.

but are you saying FEO is a blended synthetic ?

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 03:31 PM
oil in engine is shipped from factory. (mineral)

Quote "Honda Genuine Oil is a high quality, high performance fuel efficient multigrade
SAE 10W-30 API SJ rated engine oil that has been developed to Honda R & D specifications."

ECU-MAN
30-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Quote "Honda Genuine Oil is a high quality, high performance fuel efficient multigrade
SAE 10W-30 API SJ rated engine oil that has been developed to Honda R & D specifications."

cool but what makes you say that its semi synthetic

baboo
30-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I don't think FEO is full synthetic. this oil is better for run in the car..I'd change to full synthetic at about 10,000km.

I recommend change oil filter when changing the oil, its better for the engine...the filter costs like $15 anyway.

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 04:15 PM
where did I say semi synthetic??? I think it is though. made by caltex

coladuna
30-09-2004, 06:14 PM

Read the service manual.
It actually states that if you miss your 1000km service, your warranty will be void. It'll be a bloody stupid thing to do IMO.

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 06:18 PM
good on ya!

first service is free if you go to honda.

ECU-MAN
30-09-2004, 06:38 PM
No, not run in oil, it is blended synthetic. (I have a bottle in front of me)

just wondering if you ment FEO was blended synthetic. I always thought FEO was mineral oil made by Ampol, things could have changed as Honda have changed oil types like it underware.

Type R Positive
30-09-2004, 06:40 PM
yup

makes me wonder if I should go to fuchs or something else.

coladuna
30-09-2004, 10:21 PM
good on ya!

first service is free if you go to honda.

I was under the impression you have to pay for the parts yourself and only labour is free. Isn't it?
That's bloody ridiculous.
Every single new car we have owned didn't cost a cent to service the first time.

Euro_Boy
01-10-2004, 02:08 PM
free u say?

i paid $69 for synthetic oil on my first service... im confused?

yfin
01-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Read the service manual.
It actually states that if you miss your 1000km service, your warranty will be void. It'll be a bloody stupid thing to do IMO.

By servicing the car at 2500 you are not voiding the warranty - ask your Honda dealer. They laughed when I asked whether it was "ok" to bring mine in at 1500km.

Type R Positive
01-10-2004, 04:41 PM
free u say?

i paid $69 for synthetic oil on my first service... im confused?
$69, you got ripped off!

They only use 3.5L to change oil.

coladuna
01-10-2004, 06:37 PM
By servicing the car at 2500 you are not voiding the warranty - ask your Honda dealer. They laughed when I asked whether it was "ok" to bring mine in at 1500km.

that may have been the case with your dealer but I bet they'll use that against you if you had a major repair to be done under warranty. They'll change their stance straight away and you'll have no proof whatsoever to prove that they were the one who said it's okay to do that. On the other hand, they'll have your logbook details, which proves that you didn't follow the recommended service schedule.

In the service manual, it specifically states that your warranty will be void unless you follow the periodic service schedule as outlined in the book.

So tell me how you know for sure they won't void your warranty if you take your car for service when it was overdue for like 1500km? Who determines how much km's since the service was overdue is acceptable? What about if he took his car for service after 4000km? Is that too much or still acceptable?
You can never answer that.

I bet, by law, if they wanted to be dickheads, they could even refuse warranty if you have delayed your service for like 100km.

Type R Positive
01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
first service is supposed to be monthly check up on how your car is going. My dealer told me the same, not that important. I clocked up the first 1000kms in 3 days.

yfin
01-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I bet, by law, if they wanted to be dickheads, they could even refuse warranty if you have delayed your service for like 100km.

You are referring to Honda "law" - not the laws of Australia. It will be up to a court to decide under the Trade Practices Act whether Honda should fix a defect. That is regardless of whether or not someone has followed a service manual.

ECU-MAN
01-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I guarentee you if you services your car at 2,500km and engine happend to blow up after 2 yrs and 50 000km, the dealer may give you shit but once Honda Australia get involved they will bend over backwards to fix it, if anything they would replace the engine and do R&D on your blown engine. Honda AU have on many occasions fixed cars out of warranty that have had servier failures, such as CVT and F22B1 short blocks. Dont take my word for it, and dont asume this will happen. Im just stating how good Honda AU are when it comes to customer relations.

Type R Positive
01-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I guarentee you if you services your car at 2,500km and engine happend to blow up after 2 yrs and 50 000km, the dealer may give you shit but once Honda Australia get involved they will bend over backwards to fix it, if anything they would replace the engine and do R&D on your blown engine. Honda AU have on many occasions fixed cars out of warrante that have had server failures, such as CVT and F22B1 short blocks. Dont take my word for it, and dont asume this will happen. Im just stating how good Honda AU are when it comes to customer relations.
This is one reason I brought a Honda! The after sales service is really great with honda, alot better than any other brand that I have seen.

Catcha
02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Whats the story with changing from mineral to full synthetic, is that after the 5000km service go full synthetic? what grade oil is everyone using?.

I read that some people bring there own oil to service, When i brought my car about 3 days ago i inquired about bringing my own oil in for service. The service manager said that if i wanted to keep my honda warranty I HAD to use genuine honda oil or else say bye bye to it. can anyone confirm or deny this at all.

Type R Positive
03-10-2004, 11:24 PM
yup, must use honda oil to keep your warranty. It is in your service manual. I thinks it won't matter, just a ploy to get more money. The honda oil is pretty good though, so I wouldn't worry about changing.

The car comes with mineral oil standard from factory to break in the engine. (it doesn't provide to protection of synthetic oil, hence it helps it wear in faster). You go to synthetic from your first service, but they don't change the oil filter so there is still residual mineral oil left over (over a litre). you don't go to fully synthetic untill your 2nd service, when ever you decide to have it done.

Catcha
04-10-2004, 12:37 AM
yup, must use honda oil to keep your warranty. It is in your service manual. I thinks it won't matter, just a ploy to get more money. The honda oil is pretty good though, so I wouldn't worry about changing.

The car comes with mineral oil standard from factory to break in the engine. (it doesn't provide to protection of synthetic oil, hence it helps it wear in faster). You go to synthetic from your first service, but they don't change the oil filter so there is still residual mineral oil left over (over a litre). you don't go to fully synthetic untill your 2nd service, when ever you decide to have it done.

forgive my ignorance....so your saying that ok mineral is there to break it in fair enough. So second service when you pay :o they will automatically as honda procedures will go to full synthetic or do you have to request it....i'm going to go in and ask monday..but is this the case? this applies to all Hondas right as i have a jazzee :D

ECU-MAN
04-10-2004, 12:48 AM
afetr 1st service I would asumme they put in FEO

Type R Positive
04-10-2004, 08:01 AM
first service and beyond FEO

Catcha
05-10-2004, 04:15 PM
first service and beyond FEO

Ok don't Flame me what is FEO ?

h22a accord
05-10-2004, 05:07 PM
not sure but perhaps it stands for "formulated engine oil" you can buy it at honda spare parts in 5 litre bottles- SAE 10w-30. I use it in my engine, im not game to try anything else.

Type R Positive
05-10-2004, 05:24 PM
not sure but perhaps it stands for "formulated engine oil" you can buy it at honda spare parts in 5 litre bottles- SAE 10w-30. I use it in my engine, im not game to try anything else.
Wrong :p

FEO = fuel efficiant oil.

It is good stuff, I wouldn't change.

qmjona
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
OK, Well I had this service done today.
I was going to wait 'till I got home, but I was up to 2200 km and still about 1500km from home, so I decided to have it done while away.

Dealer said no problem, could have waited anyway, but its done now. This is the second dealer who has told me it doesn't have to be done right on 1000, but obviously that is what they reccommend.

Service is free, you just pay for the oil - about $35.
They also did the 'recall' mod, wiring loom can rub through or something.

Anyway running like a dream, still very happy, will perhaps give a it few more revs on the way home.

Does anyone else wish 2nd was a bit shorter in the auto?

coladuna
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Service is free, you just pay for the oil - about $35.

Not really free is it then? Most other car brands don't charge anything for the first service. When I heard that Honda charges for the first service, it was rather disappointing.

qmjona
05-10-2004, 10:42 PM
I guess you are right, I guess it depends on what your expect, I didn't even know that the service (labour) was free so I was surprised.

Catcha
05-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Hmm that is quite interesting but when you think about it its only a service is free labour, and oil $35 that's pretty cheap.......

might have to give honda a call about the service

geo41e
07-01-2005, 09:18 PM
i work at honda as a mech

1st service is oil AND oil filter.
we check all fluid levels, recalss like the %KA if app, check tyre pressures, saftey light checks and the other safety stuff.

you only pay for parts, and not for labour on your 1st service.

yfin
07-01-2005, 09:41 PM
i work at honda as a mech

1st service is oil AND oil filter.
we check all fluid levels, recalss like the %KA if app, check tyre pressures, saftey light checks and the other safety stuff.

you only pay for parts, and not for labour on your 1st service.
That may be the case at your dealership. The service requirement, however, according to the service manual is oil ONLY for the 1st service of a Euro. It is bloody ridiculous - I specifically told my dealer to change the filter.

EuroAccord13
07-01-2005, 09:45 PM
The Manual says oil filter change every 20000Kms.. To me it's a cost saving measure but I will never do that.. I ask for the oil filter to be changed everytime it's in service.. Sometimes I wonder.. if they really changed the filter like I requested?...