PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

Ek4Vtir
01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi guys, just wondering how much it cost to get my thermostat fixed?

When the car is on stand still the temperature of the car goes up... but when im moving its goes back down to cold...

my mate that works at honda says its my thermostat that needs to be fixed... just wondering on cost and if its a "do myself kinda job":eek:

2MPRSS
01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
yeh its ur thermostat, remove the top hose, losen up the bolts holding the thermostat replace it with the new one and dont tighten the bolts up too tight, how long has it been overheating for? u could of blown ur headgasget also???

duno how much thermostats go for they are preety cheap last time i pikd up one

Ek4Vtir
01-09-2008, 01:33 AM
yeh its ur thermostat, remove the top hose, losen up the bolts holding the thermostat replace it with the new one and dont tighten the bolts up too tight, how long has it been overheating for? u could of blown ur headgasget also???

duno how much thermostats go for they are preety cheap last time i pikd up one

umm my mate goes to me... when the car is moving coolent flows through the car more frequently than normal, and when its idleing the coolent stops flowing and car starts to heat up. So far so good i guess car has'nt over heated at all.. everything seems fine... but apparently when it at stand still car uses more petrol to get the heat up.. because too much coolent has run through engine.

jdm_kid
01-09-2008, 04:23 AM
thermostat is around $40 from honda. dont forget to buy coolant as well.

DLO01
01-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Sounds like the fan to me. Not thermostat.

Is the fan working?

At stand still its overheating because there is no air flow through the radiator. (fan needed but not turning on)

When your driving, air is naturally passing through the radiator and cooling down. (fan not needed)

jaz3
01-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Check the fan is working before you go out and buy a new thermo.

I recently replaced mine. Payed $55 from Honda (with the gasket) and payed my mechanic $30 to do it for me. If you're mechanically minded or you can be bothered, you can do it yourself - some detailed instructions on here if you do a search.

DCLXVI
01-09-2008, 09:37 AM
most likely not the thermostat. as honda's thermostat stays open when faulty.. your car will takes longer than normal to warm up if your thermostat is faulty.

my guess is either the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor or the radiator fan. check the radiator fan fuse first i reckon.

Ek4Vtir
01-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply guys =]

I'll check it out imediately and will let u guys know the progress too

Ek4Vtir
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Umm just wondering incase I need to change the thermostat... any links to DIY threads avaliable for B16a2 engines?

Ek4Vtir
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Sounds like the fan to me. Not thermostat.

Is the fan working?

At stand still its overheating because there is no air flow through the radiator. (fan needed but not turning on)

When your driving, air is naturally passing through the radiator and cooling down. (fan not needed)

umm in reference to that.. if the fan is'nt working... Should the car always be on "Cold"? my car always says its Cold... and I'm happy to see it reach the half way point when im on stand still...hmm

TCP
02-09-2008, 02:22 AM
my car exactly the same hahaha takes ages to get warm.. then while driving it gets cold

andiiso
02-09-2008, 07:01 AM
happeneed to mine, i just replaced the fan switch .. cos my fan was working, so check your fan first by putting power straight to it and seeing if it work (cant remember how exactly to do dis lol) and if works then itll be your fan switch .. thermostat is usually car always cold from a honda anyway, havent seen one stuck closed

if your fan or fan switch is boogered, your car will warm up and then start overheating when you are sitting there, then when u start moving natural air will go thru engine and cool

if its your thermostat in general cases, your car will take ages to warm up and usually only time itll warm up more is when your sitting still cos no air going thru engine to constantly cool it ..

but if your car has overheated before due to the fan problem .. it could have a good chance of throwing out your thermostat

if you cbf checking everything i would replace thermostat and fan switch and bleed coolant before going anywhere near the actual fan .. cos im a lazy tightass :P

destrukshn
02-09-2008, 08:36 AM
thermostat is around $40 from honda. dont forget to buy coolant as well.
actually it's $55, you got it for $40
lol

Ek4Vtir
13-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey guys the radiator fan isnt working..

any sugguestions on how to repair? wireing? or motor problem?

Do I have to replace the whole radiator with fan? Or is it an DIY job to get it repaired? Where can I purchase the parts, maybe supercheap? :confused:

umm the fan works with the thermostat right? Thermostat tells the fan when to turn on? or should it always be running??

Thanks in advance guys

destrukshn
13-09-2008, 03:04 PM
the sensor tells the fan to turn on, not the thermostat.
bridge the wires of on the sensor, if the fan doesn't turn on, it's your fan that's dead.
if it does turn on, it's your sensor is dead.

EK9
23-09-2008, 09:56 AM
sorry if this is a noob question, but does the fan usually turn on immediately when u start the car? never really took notice... i just started to have some overheating probs too :(

only time i sometimes hear the fan is AFTER i've switched the car off, and it seems like the fan is still going.

DLO01
23-09-2008, 12:16 PM
No, it dosn't. The fan turns on when the Fan Switch tells it to. You fan switch and fan turn on at a designated water temperature.

The reason you notice your fan on when you turn the car off is because your at a stand still. You have no natural airflow from driving to cool, so therefore your temps go up quickly and your fan comes on.

Look at it this way. Your fan comes on to stop temps from going too high. And your thermostat closes to stop temps getting too low.

EK9
23-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Ahh thanks for the info... common sense i guess, hehe.

Hmm, might double check it tonight. Something's off, just gotta work out what it is i guess.

EK9
23-09-2008, 06:55 PM
ok, drove home from work and the temp kept sitting about two-thirds hot... have no choice, had to drive today. since it was running hotter then usual, i would have expected the fan to be on, but when i stopped to check, it wasn't...

so if the problem is the fan, what's the source? fuse? completely stuffed fan? hope the fact i just installed a new battery didn't kill anything... :( how do i diagnose the source?

twing
23-09-2008, 07:15 PM
two third is OK. Mine sitting close to half.
If it doesn't go over half, the fan that does the job. So your fan should be working :thumbsup:

If you really worry... just let your car idle.. after around 15mins, the temp needle will be around two third and the fan will kick in.

EK9
25-09-2008, 09:35 AM
i'm confused... mine was sitting OVER half, and the fan didn't turn on.

so if that's the case, how do i check if the fan is faulty or the prob is somewhere else? is there a fan fuse? i think there's a fan relay or something in the fuse box, but i got no idea.. thermostat? any help?

DCLXVI
25-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Fan dont come on for the following reason (not limited to) -

- Blown radiator fan fuse (under hood fuse box)
- Faulty coolant temperature switch (thermostat housing area)
- Faulty radiator fan relay (under hood fuse box)
- Faulty fan timer relay (under dash, driver side somewhere)
- Faulty wiring (frayed/burned wiring, traced them from the radiator)

turn heater on full blast meanwhile if u really needs to drive around

EK9
25-09-2008, 01:39 PM
omg... lol. ok will check all those.

errrm y turn on heater full blast? what does that do?

barefootbonzai
25-09-2008, 02:29 PM
having the heater on helps your car stay cool.

apart from the temp gauge going up, does the car still feel ok? Might just be a sensor problem.

latinstyle69
25-09-2008, 02:31 PM
^^^ it takes the heat from the enigine, so this will let the engine temp go down a lil

EK9
25-09-2008, 02:38 PM
having the heater on helps your car stay cool.

apart from the temp gauge going up, does the car still feel ok? Might just be a sensor problem.
yeah feels quite normal... warms up normally too. i'd drive for about 15 minutes and the temp is normal, about half way. only if i go longer does it slowly creep higher, then drops at times, then back up. but since it's done this i haven't driven (without absolutely needing to) for more then 15 mins.

i'll check all the fuses tonight - if still no good, i might just take it to someone to look at.

CRXDEL501
14-10-2008, 10:34 PM
know this topic is a few weeks old.. but im having a similar problem.
at night my car feels hot, but the temp gauge wont go past like 3 or 4 notches and wont show normal temp.
took it to the mechanic, they said everything appears to be fine radiator wise and my fans are coming on, but didnt check the thermostat.
could it still be the thermo if the car feels hot but gauge shows a cooler reading that what is normal.
during the day it takes ages to get to normal temp.. so this only really happens at night.

andiiso
15-10-2008, 04:39 PM
thermostat probably stuck open, basically constantly cooling ur engine at a certain rate (depending on how much it is stuck open) and night time usually colder then daytime (also at times less traffic, so more airflow thru ur engine whilst ur moving and also cooling engine) .. so prob taking ur car even longer to heat up or mayb not heat up at all..

car feeling hot doesnt mean it is hot .. when im bleedin a cooling system, i can have car running with radiator cap off, and the coolant is smoking yet the fans still not comin on or bottom hose not gettin hot (thermostat not open yet) .. and touchin any part of engine will be burning hot lol but yer doesnt mean it is actually at operating temp by looking and feelin.

cvicek
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
hey guys,

have a small problem with my car during this hot weather,

the temp will rise if i am travelling on a highway. ( i have aircon on at the time). normal city driving is ok, but as soon as i hit the highway for a little while, the temp will rise.. i have to drive with the heater on in 44 degrees weather.. :S...

any idea? seems like its only overheat on freeway driving.
its only happen on a hot day, .....

Fan is working, there is lots of collant, i changed the thermostat about 3 months ago.

thanks