PDA

View Full Version : Got new keys, car won't start. NRMA said it's a ECU problem.

barflairer
01-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey guys,

I'm not having any luck at the moment.

My bag got stolen a couple of weekends ago and I lost a set of keys for my Civic.

I took my red master key to Mister Mint and they cut a new key and programmed the chip for me. I take it back to my car and it won't start. It turns but no crank.

I take it back and the guy said sometimes the programming of the chips gets corrupted so they did it again. I take it back to the car and once again, it won't start.

Luckily I have a spare set of keys which work so yesterday morning I drove down to the shopping centre and go back to Mister Mint where they reprogram it again using the red master key. I try and start the car and once again it still doesn't work. I try to use my original key to start the car and it cranks but doesn't kick over. I somewhat Sh!t myself cause it has always worked after I tried the other sets of keys.

I go back to Mister Mint and give them my spare black key and they reprogram it using that and I take it back to the car. Both the keys work now. The new key starts and cranks but doesn't kick over. Same with the original key.

I end up calling NRMA and they came and check all the electricals. They test the fuel injectors to see if a signal is coming through to spit petrol into the engine. No signal. He checks all the fuses and they're all working. He reckons my ECU died hence no signal.

Anyone have any ideas? Did the new key screw this up? Thanks

CB7_OWNER
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Take it to honda..and see what they say...

But im having a guess that its your imboliser not deactivating when the key is plugged in...from my understanding (not neccessarily related to Honda cars)... the chip inside the key has to be "linked/recognised" by the car, before it will start.....And because you aftermarket key isn't an orginial key, it was never "mated" with your car.....

Dis is just a guess...but if u hold your master key next to the "new" key plugged into the ignition slot.... it might start up???

Limbo
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
i always used the black key to program my new keys? I think the red key is only used for programming new keys in.

I'd call a honda dealer for advice, not all NRMA's understand the ECUs, they generally are basic mechanics.

JasonGilholme
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
honda > mister minute

don't let a boy do a mans job. Honda will be able to reprogram your keys correctly, if the mister minute dude didn't fcuk you red key.

panda[cRx]
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
honda > mister minute

don't let a boy do a mans job. Honda will be able to reprogram your keys correctly, if the mister minute dude didn't fcuk you red key.

honda > mister minute AND nrma

honda ecu's generally don't just die. there might be the very odd case but it is very unlikely. it definitely sounds like something has gone wrong programming the key.

also when they reprogram the new key they need to do the old key at the same time or that won't start the car.

while maybe a lil more expensive than mr minute i'd take it to a dealer to look at. they at least know what they are doing, especially with the retarded red key system

barflairer
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Today's my birthday and this is seriously killing my day.

I called Honda and the service guy said he's never heard of Mister Mint being able to program keys. He reckons Mister Mint has wiped out the code from the car. It's going to cost me $600 to put a new immobiliser in it. FFS, something that was suppose to cost me $90 ends up costing me $600.

JasonGilholme
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
get it to the honda garage and let them sort it out. They know what they're doing.

Hope you asked for money for you birthday man.

Have a few drinks and forget about it! :thumbsup:

SiReal
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Mister minit cut and programmed two keys from the standard black key for my 96 civic coupe- both work fine.

paps02
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
honda are scum and will say anything they can to someone who dosn't have background knowledge to confuse them and con them into spending too much... do an ecu check (in one of the DIY threads) see what ur ecu says?? might help. just try and rule out as much as you can

mister minit cut the key i use everyday!!!

happy bday dude
however they did say and i quote "if you try to start your car with a key that isn't chipped(or chipped properly) it will reset your cars security/programming" hence fuking it up.

dupac->
01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
to start with mister minute shouldnt of copied the RED key

as the red key is just used as a template to cut..

you should of taken the spare black key straight to mister minute as that would have the code inside the key.

Honda don't want to hear about other places managing to tweak and twirk their red key system.. so they'll tell you what they think is right from honda. They won't try to save you a buck, they'll tell you the easiest fix for them.. not for you.

If you put a blank key in and try to start it as stated above.. i'm sure it would scramble you're immobilser unit under the steering colomn.. therefor needing a new immobiliser unit.

so pretty much mister minute are idiots for trying to copy red keys. but really not their fault. you did take the key to them. lol

so pretty much they over charged you for cutting a normal key as no codes wouldnt of been copied, because they were copying from the red key.

too much messing about i think fuked your immob unit. trying to start the car with the BLANK mister minute key.

there are other places other than honda that reprogram or replace ur immobiliser unit for abit cheaper. theres afew places in sydney who do it.. depends where ur from.

But then again.. it could be the ECU.. as my mate's ecu shat itself.. the engine cranked but didnt start.. replaced the ecu with a different one.. now works.

but yours seems to be a KEY/IMMOBILiSER issue.

dupac->
01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I've had bad experiences with honda dealers too though.. no idea what theyre on about.

I've called up a certain honda dealer in regards to the red key system.. for my ek1.

i told them clearly that i only have the RED key left no black keys... the idiot goes thats fine.. tow ur car to us and we can copy ur keys ra ra ra.. $90!

i was cheerin!

get my car there.. and talked to some other guy and said thats impossible have to replace the unit new keys new ingition barrel ra ra ra.. $900!

i told them to get fuked and pay for my towing since they gave me the wrong info over the phone.. and they knew who it was coz i gave them the name.

the towey heard all of this.. and said will only charge me $50 for both trips.. told honda to get fuked and i got it fixed somewhere else for half the price and 2 new keys.

lol

don't get me wrong.. i guess most honda/dealer places know what theyre on about.. just the ones i came across didn't..

and obviously wouldnt suggest cheapers ways of doing.. because its not through them.

OMG.JAI xD
01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
nrma .. no real mechanics available.

dont know why he would go to the injectors when theres no crank.
fuhnny person =]

Bought a honda?
Service it with honda.

unless its just an oil n filter.

ECU-MAN
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
take your key back to mr minuit and have him copy the black key not the red key

attempting to start the car with the RED key ot your new key ( which is the red key ) can erase the black key from the immo and ECU.

Parsout
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah using the red key is bad, car won't work after that.

Basically that red key should only ever see the light of day... through the plastic packet that it comes in!

anhie
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
you need the red key when you want to cut spare keys.