PDA

View Full Version : Rear Swaybar into Ek CXI?

Lerlo
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi, I was told I cant put a honda oem rear swaybar on an EK Cxi coz there isnt a hole on the control arm.
but I just checked and there IS a hole, right next to the suspension.
So, is that the hole for the sway bar?

bennjamin
01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
someone stop me here.....but from what ive seen all EKs share the exact same rear control arms.
EK9 same as EK4 same as EK1 etc. They all support the endlinks from a rear swaybar.

so , fitting a rear swaybar is actually quite simple and straight forward to your EK - you just need the relevant mounting from ASR , BEAKs or WHITELINE etc.

markoJEK1
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
hmm now you making me do a double take ben haha

SiReal
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
i bought an EK4 RSB assembly for my EJ8 coupe. All holes were required, including LCA and subframe BUT there were no prewelded nuts on the subframe (unlike EK4).. it was just a hole.

bennjamin
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
hmm now you making me do a double take ben haha

get out there , and check your old LCA's lol !
Im pretty sure the aboe is true. All Ek's have the same pressed LCA's.
prove me wrong and earn some rep :)

markoJEK1
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
not at home haha, I would other wise

bennjamin
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
i bought an EK4 RSB assembly for my EJ8 coupe. All holes were required, including LCA and subframe BUT there were no prewelded nuts on the subframe (unlike EK4).. it was just a hole.

thats easy to rectify. For the EK4 mounting its entirely ok to use some nuts in those holes to replicate the EK4 mounts. When useing a larger kit like ASR or BEAKS , there is mounting in that place to further reinforce the subrame

markoJEK1
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
yep ^ thats true, and you were right ben, I forgot that they had little peep sized holes, just had a quick look on google, and they do support the swaybar setup. :thumbsup:

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
yes. cxi, gli, vti, vtir all have same rear lca.

i hope you're putting a front swaybar in your cxi too. b/c cxi does not come with a front swaybar.

and think about some support for the subframe if you're getting >18mm
asr, beaks, etc.:)

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
so to answer your Q. Yes, that hole is for the endlinks of the swaybar.

Mugen Civic
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
i concour

the holes ur talking about in your OEM LCA is the holes for the sway bar.
Use endlinks from EK4 or EK9

Your subframe has two holes on either side as well for the brackets.

simonnowis
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
someone stop me here.....but from what ive seen all EKs share the exact same rear control arms.
EK9 same as EK4 same as EK1 etc. They all support the endlinks from a rear swaybar.

so , fitting a rear swaybar is actually quite simple and straight forward to your EK - you just need the relevant mounting from ASR , BEAKs or WHITELINE etc.

yes your right as always ben lol,
the rear lca is the same, i have a gli and there is def a hole in the lca for swaybar endlinks, people with cxi have said there is a hole in the rear lca but not front. so yeh just need a subframe reinforcement like asr.

Lerlo
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
so to answer your Q. Yes, that hole is for the endlinks of the swaybar.

LOL, hey thanks guys!
Another quick question, I wont be able to mount the swaybar (bushing mounts) till I get an ASR brace?

I just got my aftermarket LCA today and it seems I wont need them. Anyone wants anodized silver LCA for their EKs pm me. :D

Thanks again!

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
There are already 2 holes on either side in your subframe for mounting the D-bracket/Bushings. So you can install your swaybar now. (assuming you got swaybar, endlinks, bushings, D-bracket, grease, some nuts and bolts-forgot the sizes)

but your options at the moment depend on the size of your swaybar.

1. if you've got a big swaybar (>18mm), you might as well buy an asr brace and install it all in one go. Otherwise you'll be doing the job twice (which is fine if you can be bothered), and also you avoid the risk of tearing your subframe.

2. if you've got a big swaybar (>18mm). you can install in now and risk subframe tear.

3. stock ek4 and em1 swaybars are 16mm. so if your swaybar is 16mm or less, it can be installed without any reinforcement.

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 08:24 PM
oh wait, you wont be able to mount your swaybar without an asr or mounting pieces.
sorry my bad.
it's these metal pieces which you bolt to the 2 holes on each side of the subframe. and then the swaybars bushing/dbrackets bolt onto it.

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
i'll just clarify.

swaybar --> bushing (grease it) --> Dbracket --> mounting piece (or asr) --> subframe by the 2 holes.

Lerlo
01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
i'll just clarify.

swaybar --> bushing (grease it) --> Dbracket --> mounting piece (or asr) --> subframe by the 2 holes.

I thought the bushings mount to the 2 holes on each side,near the pivot where the LCA mounts to the Chassis, which I checked and I have..

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
i cant upload images. Grrr

ok, check out the picture
http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.php?productid=141

you can see the mounting piece that connects the Dbracket to the subframe.

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
and if you look on this pic
http://www.passwordjdm.com/images/ASR_Installed/1.jpg

the asr brace acts as the mount piece as well as reinforcement for the subframe

LiKPiC
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
and while we're on the topic. here's a good installation guide:
http://www.georgebelton.com/6g.civic.tech/asr.itr/index.php

Lerlo
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
So if I do not want a ASR brace, Ill still have to get a D-Bracket yeah?
Ok cool, thanks.
Looks like Ive gotta spend more money then. :(

LiKPiC
02-09-2008, 08:33 PM
bushing is just the rubber/polyurethane(not sure) piece. you need to pop that into the Dbracket. the Dbracket is then bolted to the mounting piece or asr brace. The mounting piece/asr is bolted to your subframe.

ie. Dbrackets are essential

so your 2 options are.
1) swaybar, endlinks, bushings + grease, Dbracket, mounting piece, nuts/bolts
2) swaybar, endlinks, bushings + grease, Dbracket, asr brace, nuts/bolts

hope i've been helpful

bennjamin
02-09-2008, 10:35 PM
The ASR is actually fitted to the subrame before fitting the swaybar.

LiKPiC
02-09-2008, 11:00 PM
yeh i know. I wasnt trying to put an order to it. i was just trying to clarify how the D bracket and bushings work...since that was his question.

but thanks for that input. i can see how it can be misunderstood.

ok, for cxi
1) life rear of car, jacking points are just in front of the rear wheels (ensure you're in gear so front wheels dont move, and also use bricks for added measure. Make sure you have jack stands. Remember, safety first!)
2) remove LCA bolts
3) install ASR brace (with LCA bolt + 2nd smaller bolt - not too tight!)
4) put swaybar in its bushings with grease, and put bushings in the Dbracket. Then bolt the Dbrackets to the ASR brace. (With CXi, you'll need backing plates which should come with the ASR brace. Again, dont bolt too tight!)
5) connect the endlinks to the LCAs (and again, dont bolt too tight!!)
6) lower your car
7) Tighten nuts/bolts to appropriate amount of torque.

if you dont want to use the ASR brace. Then ignore step 1, and step 2 should read "install mounting pieces".

The link i put up previously should be helpful.

LiKPiC
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
oh, and the D brackets shouldnt cost you very much at all...

Lerlo
03-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey man, thanks for everything, you have been more than helpful.
Also the point about putting the car into gear, ive never thought of that. Always been mucking around with RWD cars. LOL.

souperman
03-09-2008, 09:09 AM
yeh i know. I wasnt trying to put an order to it. i was just trying to clarify how the D bracket and bushings work...since that was his question.

but thanks for that input. i can see how it can be misunderstood.

ok, for cxi
1) life rear of car, jacking points are just in front of the rear wheels (ensure you're in gear so front wheels dont move, and also use bricks for added measure. Make sure you have jack stands. Remember, safety first!)
2) remove LCA bolts
3) install ASR brace (with LCA bolt + 2nd smaller bolt - not too tight!)
4) put swaybar in its bushings with grease, and put bushings in the Dbracket. Then bolt the Dbrackets to the ASR brace. (With CXi, you'll need backing plates which should come with the ASR brace. Again, dont bolt too tight!)
5) connect the endlinks to the LCAs (and again, dont bolt too tight!!)
6) lower your car
7) Tighten nuts/bolts to appropriate amount of torque.

if you dont want to use the ASR brace. Then ignore step 1, and step 2 should read "install mounting pieces".

The link i put up previously should be helpful.

i think you mean, ignore step 2, and step 3 should read "install mounting pieces".

otherwise, really good info. and good links too. i used that same link when i installed mine on my em1.
mods should rep you :thumbsup:

LiKPiC
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
oh yeh. oops
my bad.
thanks
glad to have helped