PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Drama...

huhjared
02-09-2008, 02:15 AM
tried to change my oil and ended up using 4 hours to do a simple oil change...

as usual i undo the sump nut and let the oil flow out...
next the bloody oil filter... took like 30 mins before it finally came loose.... THERE IS NO ROOM TO UNDO IT!!! anyone out there with a better technique?? Pls share...
looked at it and the dealer who did it DID NOT HAVE A GASKET on it...
put that away and screw on my new filter...
pour in the oil start the engine...

OMG... oil just start flowing out from the oil filter...

stopped the car clean up the mess...
took another 15min to undo the filter

put it in again... SAME THING!!!!!

after the thrid try it was all good...

what i am trying to tell everyone is that screwing on the oil filter might sound simple enough although i did like at least 5 different cars in the past 2 years but its NOT... What i think happened was that the thread on the Honda oil filter or maybe its the oil pump has like really fine thread... which misleads you that the filter is actually in and tight... the fact and what i guess happened was that i screwed in the filter twice at the marginally wrong angle which leads to the waterfall or should i say OILFALL..

Type R Positive
02-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Damn. At least you know for next time.

aaronng
02-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Actually, your problem was that the oil filter gasket had come off the oil filter and it was stuck on the block. That's why when you put the new oil filter on, it didn't seal. 2 gaskets = fail. If you are still running 2 gaskets, it might still leak.

Zilli
02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
another tip for you which you may already know... lub the gasket with fresh oil, and only hand tighten the filter... that way it wont take you so long to get it off next time

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 07:27 AM
don't just jam in the oil filter and turn it tight, you can buckles the oil filter thread and all.
make sure it's aligned properly then gently tighten if you feel it is restrictive then try realign it before tightening.

if you have the car jacked up slightly (if your lowered) or stock on the ground, you can access the oil filter pretty easily.

Cause when i did it, i actually only had enough room for 1 arm at a time that could reach the filter, like all oil filter instructions would prob mention you oil your gasket with fresh oil.

At least you've done your oil change, learn from your mistakes to improve.

slidetaker
02-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Actually, your problem was that the oil filter gasket had come off the oil filter and it was stuck on the block. That's why when you put the new oil filter on, it didn't seal. 2 gaskets = fail. If you are still running 2 gaskets, it might still leak.

I found out that if you did not lube the filter gasket first before you put it in, it has a high chance of sticking to the block when you do a change next time. Even if you can't see the filter slot on the block, you can run your finger through the edge of it to see if there is gasket left on it....

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 08:17 AM
you can see the block when you take the filter off.
and if the gasket did come off you should see it also, as you would be holding a funnel or whatever to catch the oil spill from the filter.

aaronng
02-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Alarm #1 is when you are holding the used oil filter and there is no gasket on it. :zip:

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Alarm #2 is that you have oil all over yourself

puahahhaha.

huhjared
02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
yeah i was quie surprised... but i turned on the torchlight and had a visual and physical inpection on where the old gasket is but its no where to be seen... did another check when the engine cooled down... no leaks...

panda[cRx]
02-09-2008, 10:31 AM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

common nub mistake

huhjared
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I felt and looked at the screw in to make sure that there was not extra gasket... would it be even possible for the filter to be screwed in without a gasket?? anyway anyone knows about engine bay washing? do i just jet the water in?? or is there any precaution? what soap do u guys use?

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I felt and looked at the screw in to make sure that there was not extra gasket... would it be even possible for the filter to be screwed in without a gasket?? anyway anyone knows about engine bay washing? do i just jet the water in?? or is there any precaution? what soap do u guys use?

oil filter has a inbuilt sealing gasket.
but it can be caked onto the block due to heat so it rips off.

Suggestion but not sure if ideal, use a steam jet but cover your important components from moisture damage.

davec
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
you can use degreaser on the motor and spray it off avoiding the alternator, battery, sparks air filter etc though i prefer to use a steamer

ms700
02-09-2008, 01:10 PM
next the bloody oil filter... took like 30 mins before it finally came loose.... THERE IS NO ROOM TO UNDO IT!!! anyone out there with a better technique?? Pls share...
Go to your local Honda spare pars dept and ask nicely for a: 04151 MW0 305, oil filter removing tool, should cost you approx 10 beer tokens, makes removing oil filters a whole lot easier.

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
all you need is the wipe down your oil filter so there isn't residue and use your clean hand to turn.

that's how i got mine out after a few turns, which was on pretty damn tight.

LXRY
02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
alarm #2 is that you have oil all over yourself

puahahhaha.

lmao ;)

NSPYRE
02-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Go to your local Honda spare pars dept and ask nicely for a: 04151 MW0 305, oil filter removing tool, should cost you approx 10 beer tokens, makes removing oil filters a whole lot easier.

was gonna mention this too. there is an actual tool made that fits perfectly on the OEM honda oil filters. otherwise, go to any auto shop like supercheap or autobarn and u can get the universal type oil filter tool that fits on a socket. but, as others mentioned, just lube up the O-ring and only hand tighten. should be a lot easier next time and dont need to spend $$$ on tools u dont really need :)

Min988
19-09-2009, 05:51 PM
If you get the filter perpendicular to the mount and half turn in reverse and then turn forward you should be able to get the threads to match everytime, sounds like you arent putting the filter on an slight angle.

If a filter removal tool doesnt work theres always the handy long screwdrivers straight through the filter casing. But make sure you pierce through both sides of the casing and center of the filter if you use this method and then use a shorter screwdriver after the initial spearing to turn the filter.

dtngo
19-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I actually find it easier to take off the drivers front wheel and go through a small gap through there. I couldn't get enough leverage by going under the car =/

paulfx
20-09-2009, 08:26 AM
after removing the old filter run your finger and or a rag over the filter sealing mount on the block this way u are sure that no debris is left on the sealing surface for the oring seal. and use the oem honda filter with a little fresh oil on the oring and thread on the filter.
paul