PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise when braking at low speeds

E_Honda
02-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Since i got my brake pads replaced and all 4 discs machined when braking at low speeds the car makes a grinding noise, when i asked the mechanic he said its the type of brake pads and its normal. I dont know the brand of pads he put on there, what you guys think?

Btw it doesn't seem to affect the braking power from what i've seen.

mars_panas
02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
maybe u need to wear it out abit...

E_Honda
02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
maybe u need to wear it out abit...

thats also what the mechanic said, but its been over a month and noise is still there. I think they are just crap pads.

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
ok,

have you broken in the pads?
drive up to 60kmh then hard brake down to 20kmh ( about 10x)
drive up to 80kmh then hard brake down to 40kmh ( about 20x)

and see how it is after, how many km's have you done on the pads?
cause my hawk HPS have been babied too long and it's getting a bit more bite now, but also cause i changed all 4 rotors.

You hear a grind noise cause the pads are actually touching the rotor when your moving.
You will hear it more when your going at slow speeds due to less wind noise.

I had that same problem too but it's gone.

E_Honda
02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
ok,

have you broken in the pads?
drive up to 60kmh then hard brake down to 20kmh ( about 10x)
drive up to 80kmh then hard brake down to 40kmh ( about 20x)

and see how it is after, how many km's have you done on the pads?
cause my hawk HPS have been babied too long and it's getting a bit more bite now, but also cause i changed all 4 rotors.

You hear a grind noise cause the pads are actually touching the rotor when your moving.
You will hear it more when your going at slow speeds due to less wind noise.

I had that same problem too but it's gone.

is that really necessary to test it like 30 times? I slammed the brakes a few times with the ABS kicking in, u think hard wearing them like you say will do the trick?
I mentioned before the pads were replaced like a month ago so couldnt be more than a few hundred kms.

Crapdaz
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
is that really necessary to test it like 30 times? I slammed the brakes a few times with the ABS kicking in, u think hard wearing them like you say will do the trick?
I mentioned before the pads were replaced like a month ago so couldnt be more than a few hundred kms.
well if they were brand new yes and you want them to bite better do it.
In my case cause of new rotors + pads, when i pushed the brakes no reaction the car just kept moving & when i slammed the brakes the car still rolled.
plus a month of driving means nothing if you don't use your brakes much or if you baby the pads.

Just from my own experience from using new pads and rotors.

LXRY
02-09-2008, 07:00 PM
find out 'excactly' what brand pads he installed...shouldn't have to put up with grinding noise, not normal !! especially over a month, go back and complain.

mars_panas
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
thats also what the mechanic said, but its been over a month and noise is still there. I think they are just crap pads.

fair enuff...

you probably needed to cut the rotors. the rotors are uneven and when you hit them with the new pads, it's making this noise. take it back to the place that install it and make them fix it (you'll have to pay to cut the rotors). they should spring for a new set of pads. make sure to use factory pads, not aftermarket.