PDA

View Full Version : Removing Moisture in headlight?

EK1.6LCIV
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Just after a way(s) to remove it from my left head light. It comes back each summer, not sure what is causing it, been doing it since new. In the winter this problem goes away, any ideas? Thanks in advance. PQ Points will be handed out for advice that does work :cool::thumbsup:

mrdogitr
02-09-2008, 07:18 PM
you might have a gap of some sought that the moisture is getting from. i would try and loacte it by looking carefully around the headlight and resealing it.

simonnowis
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
yeh its the gap thats causing moisture to build up in the headlight. normally this problem occurs on the headlights with diy ek9 style etc, when not properly sealed.
use abit of silicone and spread it with a piece of card board or finger around any possible holes.
if it still happens another way is to drill small hole on the bottom of the headlight so the moisture comes out.

EK1.6LCIV
02-09-2008, 07:42 PM
yea, these are aftermarket items and they've been only doing this in the left one since new, I cant see any holes or anything

90LAN
02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
its becos they arn't OEM lol
bets to take it out get a hair dryer and blow the shit out of it.
just because you cant see the moisture doesnt mean its not there.
then seal it with silicon all the way around the join
have fun ryan or u could just put oem lights in lol

omgzilla
02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
You're best off letting them dry out or blow them out with compresser air then reseal all the edges where the lense is joined to the rear casing (use silicone or any other sealant).

The lenses might fade after a while.

I've gotta do this to mine aswell (OEM ones). The drivers side one on mine gets a bit of moister in it some times :(

EKVTIR-T
02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.robotroom.com/Humidity/SilicaGelPacket.jpg

02gzm
03-09-2008, 01:29 AM
^^ lol i was just about to suggest that. Sticky tape a silica gel pack to a wire/string, pull out the bulb and leave it in there for a few hours. Silicone up around the outside while you're waiting, then pull it out when you're done and problem solved. That's how i fixed my old daily eg5's problem ;)

Frankie
03-09-2008, 09:39 AM
i had a globe blow up in my headlight now the headlight has dust in it and i dont know how to take of the headlight cover there is oem sealant on it so i and clean it out

anyone know how to do this is therre a DIY thread?????

EK1.6LCIV
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
its becos they arn't OEM lol
bets to take it out get a hair dryer and blow the shit out of it.
just because you cant see the moisture doesnt mean its not there.
then seal it with silicon all the way around the join
have fun ryan or u could just put oem lights in lol

You may be onto something the oem ones do look tempting to return to atm lol. But when I have to do the front end this weekend to put the tow hook on, we'll go thro and seal it up even more so, it looks very sealed imo all around, a little bit more can't hurt I supose, cheers Lan :thumbsup: :cool:

xntrik
03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Hair dryer.

and does your headlights have a breather?

EK1.6LCIV
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
breather? now that's an unfamilar term used for a headlight, I can't see any kind of valve or opening that is pluged up on it tho

riruiz_88
03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
he may be talking about the rubber cover at the base of the bulb. its black in colour and has 2 small holes both different sizes, and the bottom of the rubber. my guess is to let water out that builds up

johnn
14-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Guys, I'm starting to experience my left headlight build up with moisture during cold winter mornings.

It started happening when I installed HIDs. So I re-checked the seals and seems to be fitted properly cause the right hand side headlights are not building up moisture.

What could be the problem. I haven't converted to type r headlights. So I didnt fiddle around with resealing.

Frankie
16-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Maybe u got a crack in da headlight

cheapdouchebag
16-08-2010, 04:10 PM
might be dodgy but, ever thought to drill at hole at the bottom of the headlight? that way the moist air can escape?

DCZ 18C
16-08-2010, 04:51 PM
have you tried sliding a chamois into the gap...??

a soloutyion that will help the problem go away is you drill a couple of little holes in the bottom of the head light..... make sure you do it where it pools or it wont work as well..

hope they can help

6thgear
16-08-2010, 08:38 PM
better to seal properly rather than add more holes as moisture will still get in anyway especially on wet days