PDA

View Full Version : Screeching brakes

VT1-R
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
hi ppl..

how do u know when u have to change ur rotors/brake disc or watever it is called.. brake pads are very new.. so unlikely tat to be the prob..

jus tat the rear brakes tend to screech a lil when braking slowly.. annoying..

any reasons why? changing rotors and wat types to recommend and approx price range..

cheers !!

DCLXVI
02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
clean them with some brake cleaner. probably just the brake dust

EG30
02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
what brake pads are you running? did you machine/replace the rotors when the pads were installed?

vinnY
03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
did you bed in your brake pads properly see as they're new?
i had an old set of endless pads which would sort of squeal while braking at low speed but were actually fine, was something to do with the compound since other users found the same thing
unless your rotors are too worn or too warped, you can probably just get them machined to go with the new pads

hastE
03-09-2008, 05:01 AM
surely hed got his rotors machined if he got someone else to fit the new pads...

i dont know anyone who would recommend just replacing pads without machining.

how many kms have u travelled since they were in? give it 1000kms.. face of the pad will wear in.

thepope1986
03-09-2008, 06:46 AM
could be brake dust, rear pads might be down to wear indicators also you may need to check the thickness of your rotors if they go too thin you can cook your brakes. get yourself a set of brake vernier calipers and measure. the minimum thickness should be stamped on the disc

VT1-R
03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
i got endless pads on.. i not sure if i bed them in properly.. but i waitied about 500km before tracking it once.. overall pads should be in very gd condition..

and yeah vinny... i get the squeek only braking in low speed.. so prob i start by getting some brake cleaner..

and where can i get my rotors machined in perth? EG30 since u are local can tell mi where to get this stuff done?

aaronng
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Which endless pad do you have? The specific model.

vinnY
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
my endless ssy pads used to squeal at low speed stopping, was fine got high speed stops though

clicky (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85) for bedding in process

string
03-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Did you grease up the back of the pads when installing?

omgzilla
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
I've got SSS Endless pads in my EK4 and no squealing here.

I installed new slotted rotors at the same time i put the new pads in though.

Tried shamfering the pads (filing the sharp edge of the pads ever so slightly, at an angle to remove the sharp lip of the pad) and greasing the backing plate?

Sometimes squeal is caused by the very edge of the pad getting ruffled/curled up and rubbing against the disc lip. Shamfering can usually eliminate this issue - that is, if this is the cause of your squeal.

omgzilla
06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Another thing to check is if there are stones or debris caught between the metal plate/cover at the back of the disc and the hub carrier/knuckle.

vinnY
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
had endless ssy in before, squeals at low speed
ebc greenstuff had no sound, just shitloads of brake dust
got ferodo ts2000's now, awesome pads and no sound. still get a fair bit of brake dust though

VT1-R
09-09-2008, 12:09 PM
had endless ssy in before, squeals at low speed
ebc greenstuff had no sound, just shitloads of brake dust
got ferodo ts2000's now, awesome pads and no sound. still get a fair bit of brake dust though

yeah i have endless SSY.. squeaks at low speed braking.. high speed is no worries at all..

will try all the suggestions and hopefully can eliminate the prob.. thanks all..

vinnY
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
if you do have ssy then i'd say live with it
it's more of a problem of the material than a problem with your brakes
you could brake hard a few times and it'll go away
it'll be back the next day though

gambate
09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
i dont mind the noises, its like having a noisy orc clutch kit. the noise is sort of some kind of bling to me. like whenever evo an or some other high performance car come to a stop next to me with brake pad noise, i always find myself admiring their kick a*s AP or alcon or etc caliper with 2 piece rotors and wonder wat super duper pad they are using..

turbo convert
10-09-2008, 09:05 PM
haha, well the world of evo's is full srcheeing, so iam used to it now after 2 diff discs and 2 set diff pads.
My suggestion is get sand paper and rub the dsc down a bit, it could be due to glazing up