PDA

View Full Version : Custom CAI air box

kiddoDC2
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
i've jus installed my new k&n filter and removed the stock air box

heard from some ppl that unless theres an air box of somekind, its prob illegal

anyone here made their own air box around an aftermarket filer?
or didch just cut some bits out of the existing stock one?
or was there some kind of aftermarket replacement air box thats avaliable that included some kind of piping attached to suck air from under the bonnet

any pics or references would be useful

thanks

wynode
03-11-2003, 09:38 AM
ginggangooly (sp?) posted a few pics of his setup. AFAIK integra's come with a pod filter and the best thing to do is replace the stock filter with an aftermarket one.

Then take out the resonator and put some piping from the bottom of the airbox to behind the front bar.

Having an exposed filter element IS illegal.

kiddoDC2
03-11-2003, 09:40 AM
thanks

anyone got a link to the pics or something?

joneblaze
03-11-2003, 09:42 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=336&start=15 <== thats the post wynode referred to (im surprised u missed it, u posted in that thread! :P)

u should also look into whether just having an exposed pod filter in ur engine bay without sitting it in an airbox or having heat shielding is actually benefiting u in terms of performance/power gain dude. i thought the same thing too but after speaking to a fair few ppl apparently the exposed pod filter will just suck more heated engine bay air and in alot of cases DEcrease ur power and just leave u with a (very) nice induction sound :)

btw, noticed ur new and drive dc2 like me :P GSi by any chance? i need a non VTEC brother. :) throw a post in the Introduction section man!

jon

kiddoDC2
03-11-2003, 09:49 AM
haha i missed it cause i posted at the end

thanks for the link bro

i drive a 94 vti-r , loving the feeling

kiddoDC2
03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
and yeah was tinking about heat shield to isolate the damn filter from the engine bay , not too sure where to start though, do most of ye guys custom make one or get it from autobarn or soemting?

joneblaze
03-11-2003, 09:54 AM
fukn VTEC whore.... :cry: hehe. theres a fair few teg vtirs here... come along to the next meet or something mate. (post in Intros! introduce urself, age, location etc)

i think most here would suggest u go with a pod in the std airbox running the "cold air induction" piping (gee that sounds hitech for $8.99 of piping :P)

A'PEXi
03-11-2003, 01:03 PM
and yeah was tinking about heat shield to isolate the damn filter from the engine bay , not too sure where to start though, do most of ye guys custom make one or get it from autobarn or soemting?

custom :) unless you can find one at autobarn lol

kiddoDC2
05-11-2003, 03:52 AM
yeah maybe i'll jus find some way to use the stock airbox again

strangly though mine only comes with an opening at the bottom for the intake
looks pretty different from the pic posted

maybe i'll cut it somehow or soemitng lol

joneblaze
05-11-2003, 08:30 AM
yeah maybe i'll jus find some way to use the stock airbox again

strangly though mine only comes with an opening at the bottom for the intake
looks pretty different from the pic posted

maybe i'll cut it somehow or soemitng lol

huh? yeah i think that opening at the bottom of the airbox is where the resonator pipe usually goes in? im not a 100%, can someone confirm? that sounds about right man.....

booget
05-11-2003, 05:33 PM
remove the resonator and the downpipe comnecting the airbox to the resonator

then goto bunnings and buy a pvc pipe for 10bucks
and a u-bend and postion the new pvc pipe and u turn towards the front of the car.

then ur car has a cold air feed
hehehe
and it looks stock cauz cops cant see it

it works 2
i keep up wid r's
and they r pretty shocked, me n slim got same mod

tofu R
09-11-2003, 11:16 AM
what r u trying to say son ?
hahaha

wynode
09-11-2003, 12:20 PM
remove the resonator and the downpipe comnecting the airbox to the resonator

then goto bunnings and buy a pvc pipe for 10bucks
and a u-bend and postion the new pvc pipe and u turn towards the front of the car.

then ur car has a cold air feed
hehehe
and it looks stock cauz cops cant see it

it works 2
i keep up wid r's
and they r pretty shocked, me n slim got same mod

Yup, that combined with a replacement aftermarket air filter is the best. I've done the same in my Si

jansenrw
21-11-2003, 02:13 AM
i have seen dyno graphs that report otherwise. resonator is there for a reason.

I just finished my thesis so if you want to find out why, do a search on H-
T....

my .02

ginganggooly
21-11-2003, 03:49 AM
the resonators are there for noise reduction. all the aftermarket CAI's (also with dyno proven gains) do not use any resonators.

i'd like to see these dyno graphs of yours.

wynode
21-11-2003, 11:24 AM
the resonators are there for noise reduction. all the aftermarket CAI's (also with dyno proven gains) do not use any resonators.

i'd like to see these dyno graphs of yours.

Ditto.

All the resonator does is reduce NVH by eliminating standing waves within the intake piping.

booget
22-11-2003, 12:35 AM
heheh im trying to say.......

$10 and u get a pvc pipe
thats ur cold air feed

kapeesh?
hehe

jansenrw
23-11-2003, 10:34 AM
umm you guys can think what you want. The primary function of a resonator maybe, yes to reduce noise, but you will find that resonance STRONGLY interrupts airflow.

I have seen at least 3 indep. tests confiroming this from coke bottles on intakes to resonators...

do your reserach first...... :) ;) hope you find your answers!!! ;) :)

booget
23-11-2003, 12:27 PM
umm you guys can think what you want. The primary function of a resonator maybe, yes to reduce noise, but you will find that resonance STRONGLY interrupts airflow.

didnt u just dig a hole 4 urself?
ur saying it interrupts air flow

so wouldnt it be best to remove it for better airflow??

ginganggooly
24-11-2003, 05:42 AM

I have seen at least 3 indep. tests confiroming this from coke bottles on intakes to resonators...

do your reserach first...... :) ;) hope you find your answers!!! ;) :)

like i said, show me the dyno graphs brother. this is quite a claim you are making, and it does fly in the face of conventional wisdom. in such cases, you'll need to do more than mention three independant tests to make a believer out of myself, and i suspect, other forum members too.

as i said earlier, check out most well known aftermarket intake setups, i haven't yet seen one with a resonator.

Boost
10-12-2003, 09:46 AM
hahahah, i think ginganggoogly is correct thats why they are called resonators, they elimante the resonance of the air being sucked in. When air is being drawn in the air particles vibrate through the pipes and reflect of the inner walls like ping pong balls bouncing off the inner walls of the pipes, this motion cause the air inside to vibrate causing the induction sound you get. Similar concept for silensors for guns and riffles. :) But it would be interesting to see your thesis jansenrw. Im also doing a thesis, im designing a pneumatic turbine shaft for an engineering company. Can you post up the address or location where i can see your thesis. Cheers.

jansenrw
12-12-2003, 04:17 PM
thesis is IP of University of Queensland - you should know that by now... all work is university IP..

As for whatever guys... its my .02. I'm trying to offer some advise -take it or leave it.

I am by no means a newbie to modding cars neither am i an expert take it or leave it ...

ginganggooly
12-12-2003, 04:19 PM
so we'll take that as a "no i won't show you" then. ;)

jansenrw
12-12-2003, 04:20 PM
no i wont show you.... find answers for yourself- its the best way to learn.....

jansenrw
12-12-2003, 04:22 PM
oh p.s. i have dyno graphs of comptech CAI, aem CAI, stock, pod (short ram) with heat shield - all my own dyno graphs performed under controlled environment

take my adivse or leave it...

ginganggooly
12-12-2003, 05:03 PM
look mate, if you are going to come around here telling us to listen to you, then, when asked for some results, you tell us to "find answers for yourself", what are we meant to think?

i certainly don't need to hear from you, that i should look things up myself, the whole reason for me questioning your logic is that your statements pretty much contradict every chart and write up i've seen- when looking things up for myself.

bennjamin
12-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Doods...regardless of HOW MANY CAI"s leading up to your throttle body...REGARDLESS of how many resonators you "take out"...a car WILL NOT allow any more amount of air into its induction stroke - its computer controlled by teh ECU.
BUT !!! the more "cold air" there is present at the butterfly ( throttle) - the better - as COLD air is more dense than HOT air - and thus equaliates to the same amount but more compressed air into the induction, and more efficient engine cycle.( MORE power ? i really doubt it :P)

Yes. Umm , So , just take off all those resonators- as it saves about 1kg of plastic weight ! LOL

More or less- feel free to correct me- but that is a basic understanding.

Boost
22-12-2003, 05:00 PM
man it sounds like everyone thinks they know more than the others. some pplz think they are expert at car mods. I really dont know, ginganggooly says the after market stuff use no resonators so surely they must be doing something right other wise they would come with resonators. But i would really like to know the physics or concepts behind the resonator, not just the fact that they reduce noise.
Jansenrw can you explain the concepts behind it to me, im interested. always open for other opinions and theory behind things.

TODA AU
26-12-2003, 03:37 PM
FWIW: Aftermarket CAI's are generally 24"~28" inches in length, thereby negating the affectivity of a resonator.
Diameter plays an important part also.

BTW: Nice pissing competition…
Why not move on to the critical importance of “Reynolds numbers” next?
:D :P