View Full Version : Suspension for dc5s

b18c7dc2
02-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey guys. i'm looking to get some suspension coil overs for my car! Type S 2005.
Here are the options i'm looking at:

Buddy Club N+ ($1800)
TIEN Flex ($2500) Expenisve hey?
Or TIEN Super Street ($1900)

Can you guys tell me any experiances with these, or what u have heard.

My application is Daily driving. No track days. so comfort is important, however i like nice handling too, and sticking to roads. However i don't like my car bounching like crazy and coins flying everywhere, and taking out my kidneys. But then again, i want a firm ISH ride. I know they are contracdictive guys. Let me know what u reccomend. Thanks all

bennjamin
02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
N+ is my vote. Just IMO :)

b18c7dc2
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Thanks. And if all goes good, i'll buy em and get you to install them too for me =)

Chi
02-09-2008, 10:59 PM
N+ has not adjustable camber tops if you are looking at playing with Camber.

I personally have owned Tein Flex and probably would not go back to it, I found the suspension stroke and damper not as good as Buddyclub Racing Spec and HKS Hipermax 2 ( both of which I've owned and used )

b18c7dc2
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM

I personally have owned Tein Flex and probably would not go back to it, I found the suspension stroke and damper not as good as Buddyclub Racing Spec and HKS Hipermax 2 ( both of which I've owned and used )

Do i need camber adjustment if i'm just going to lower the car so i have a finger gap between the gaurd and the wheels. i'm not going to SLAM it.

bennjamin
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM

do you happen to know the relevant rates of the n+ , ss and HA ?

GreekWarrior
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
spring rates if your interested

tein ss front 6kg/mm rear 9kg/mm

tein mono flex front 7kg/mm rear 10kg/mm

buddy club N+ front 10kg/mm rear 14kg/mm

not 100% on the buddy's but the teins i'm sure

Chi
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
These are the Japanese Tein specs ( Please note there is a AU/US version of the Flex with softer spring rates , not sure about the SS )

Tein Flex - F=8.0 R=10.0 (kg/mm)
Tein SS - F=6.0 R=9.0 (kg/mm)
Tein Mono Flex - F=7 R=10 (kg/mm)

No info on HA as its d/c and wasn't a great coilover to recommend for the DC5 in the first place.

BC N+ - F10K R14K
BC RSD - F=10, R=16

Now with the BC RSD even with stiffer spring rates I found it to have much better damper absorption compared to the flex due to its mono tube design allowing a larger damper piston to be used.

Now I've also heard people praise the Mono flex to be much better than the Flex due to a similar design to the racing spec.

However I would still not recommend Tein as I found that considering they are a major suspension company they could not do a simple thing for teh DC5 suspension which was create lower connecting arms to teh steering rods, which Buddy club and Ohlins are able to do so.

With a higher arm when the DC5 is lowered the steering arms rest at an awkward angle contributing to poorer steering response and bumpsteer.

Tein's arms are awfully high, so i found this to be a poor design overlooked by such a major sussy company.

RSX_DC5R
03-09-2008, 12:48 AM

+1

have N+ in my DC5R. Good value for money and does the job.

Zakarados
03-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Sorry to change topic, but i am also considering the BC coilovers but have been informed on ongoing costs when buying coil overs. I have been advised they every 1-3 years you need to take the sussy in for a service. Not sure of price of service.

Is this correct?

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 12:02 AM
So i think i will go with N+ over TEIN guys. cause N+ got the better connecting arms right? when car is lowered???? do i need to buy the arms seperatly or do they come with the N+ kit?

Waggy
07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I had N+ in my old EM1 and found them to be pretty much as stiff/bumpy as I could handle for a daily driver, if they were any stiffer they would have been getting the boot.

If you are only looking at lowering the car, I would go with a good spring/shock combo.

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I had N+ in my old EM1 and found them to be pretty much as stiff/bumpy as I could handle for a daily driver, if they were any stiffer they would have been getting the boot.

If you are only looking at lowering the car, I would go with a good spring/shock combo.

Even the it set on the SOFTEST???????

Waggy
07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, even at the softest. Not wanting to assume too much here (feel free to say I'm wrong) but you seem like a person who has never ridden in a car with coilovers.

When I first bought my coilovers, I'd only ridden in one other car that had them. I was surprised how hard they really are. Tein SS are rather soft, as far as coilovers go, and are one of the more tolerable on a daily basis.

Don't listen to bullshit talkers that tell you not to be a "pussy" and go out and buy yourself a set of $3500 HKS Hipermax IIIs or something because truth be told, unless you hate your back and kidneys, these are almost unliveable for a daily driver. They will buck, kick and squeak over every bump in the road - you will literally feel everything you drive over (which is great for the track, but not so much for a trip down to the shop for a 6 pack and a packet of chips).

Keep in mind that coilovers are really made for the track and finding a set that you can live with that compromises between, ride comfort, height adjustment, and noise etc. is a real tough decision and one that varies from car to car.

All I can say is do your research - DON'T rely on other e-peoples perceptions of what THEY think is hard/soft. Talk to the experts and read read read.

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes, even at the softest. Not wanting to assume too much here (feel free to say I'm wrong) but you seem like a person who has never ridden in a car with coilovers.

When I first bought my coilovers, I'd only ridden in one other car that had them. I was surprised how hard they really are. Tein SS are rather soft, as far as coilovers go, and are one of the more tolerable on a daily basis.

Don't listen to bullshit talkers that tell you not to be a "pussy" and go out and buy yourself a set of $3500 HKS Hipermax IIIs or something because truth be told, unless you hate your back and kidneys, these are almost unliveable for a daily driver. They will buck, kick and squeak over every bump in the road - you will literally feel everything you drive over (which is great for the track, but not so much for a trip down to the shop for a 6 pack and a packet of chips).

Keep in mind that coilovers are really made for the track and finding a set that you can live with that compromises between, ride comfort, height adjustment, and noise etc. is a real tough decision and one that varies from car to car.

All I can say is do your research - DON'T rely on other e-peoples perceptions of what THEY think is hard/soft. Talk to the experts and read read read.

Thank you for that infomation. Thats really usefull!!! I have been in cars with coilovers before, but not that much, so my experiance is minimal. Your right, that finding a set of coil overs for a compromise between daily drive, and firmish is relly hard.

However I have not owned a car with coil overs on before, so i'm doing all my research as I can, because I have had imported cars with suspension already on them, which have been really hard, nice on the track, as u said, but yeah.

So there's not really much choise if i want firmish, but soft for daily driver. maybe Tein is the way to go. I was also looking at TEIN BASIC, as I've been told these are the softest of them all. They have no damper adjustment tho, but i wouldn't want to touch anything anyways, because all i'd be using it for it daily driving.

chargeR
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Try to find someone with Tein Monoflex fitted to a DC5 and go for a ride with them. I was riding in a friends car today and it felt fairly compliant. Take that with a grain of salt though as I daily on 10/24 spring rates :p.

Ride in as many DC5s with coilovers as you can. Other chassis are not really applicable.

Chi
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I believe the reason to the monoflex being so tolerable for street is due to its monotube design which has a much better damper than previous HA and Flex models.

Everyone has their own opinions as Waggy said.

I personally have Buddy club racing spec and I find them not hard enough for my tastes lol.

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I believe the reason to the monoflex being so tolerable for street is due to its monotube design which has a much better damper than previous HA and Flex models.

Everyone has their own opinions as Waggy said.

I personally have Buddy club racing spec and I find them not hard enough for my tastes lol.

Dam chi, u must like it bouncy and hard, and/or must be a really track guru

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Try to find someone with Tein Monoflex fitted to a DC5 and go for a ride with them. I was riding in a friends car today and it felt fairly compliant. Take that with a grain of salt though as I daily on 10/24 spring rates :p.

Ride in as many DC5s with coilovers as you can. Other chassis are not really applicable.

Thats the problem. how do i ride in as many dc5s with coil overs in them. hmmmmmm maybe i should put out a new thread offering people money to ride in their cars with coilovers in them. i don't know

Chi
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
ARe you in Adelaide or Syd?

If in syd you can test my Racing spec.

They arent that bad honestly.

b18c7dc2
07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
ARe you in Adelaide or Syd?

If in syd you can test my Racing spec.

They arent that bad honestly.

Hey! i'm in Canberra. But i drive to sydney often. I can pay you for petrol, and for wasting ur time. Racing spec is stiffer than n+ hey?

Do you still have all those things for sale on your for sale thread?

Chi
07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
IF you come to syd let me know and i can show u.

pm me about the parts for sale.

bennet654
24-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Reopining an old thread here! but can anyone tell me If I was to install the BuddyClub RSD's on my DC5R would I have to putchase other items to strengthen arms etc and would i only need rear camber kits? thanks lads

r3ckless
24-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I have N+, yes they dont have upper pillowm mounts, but you jsut loosen the thread slightly to achieve camber. i got -1.75 camber from doing that! and fit a 18x9.5 +30 wheel udner the guards.

bennet654
25-07-2010, 03:25 AM
thanks reckless!
anyone else got info?

r3ckless
25-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Now tht im reading ur post properly... Sussy wise... Me like many ppl just hve thr coilovrr, and a rear camner kit

bennet654
25-07-2010, 03:07 PM
cheers... whats a good affordable camber kit?

Lowiez
27-07-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?79103-BUDDYCLUB-Short-shifter-Camber-kits-Condenser-*JDMyard*

Depends what you call affordable?
BC rear camber kit, not too bad price and it works fine.

bennet654
27-07-2010, 06:28 PM
cheers mate!