PDA

View Full Version : ** are coilover's defectable **

we tec
03-09-2008, 02:15 PM
hey guys just wondering if anyone has been defected with coilover suspension?
reason why im asking is im sick of modifying my car and then have to worry bout getting defected and having the hassle of having to change back to standard etc...... then if you put it back on its a risk again, whats the point of spending big money then not enjoying it?

VTi_b0i
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
u can get defected for ANYTHING that isnt standard to the car if they want to be assholes...it all depends how u drive your car on the street... if your not doing anyhting wrong, i dont see why you would get pulled over and defected.

ekdez
03-09-2008, 02:26 PM
i believe they have to be ADR approved to be "legal" otherwise engineering cert done to prove that they improve the cars handling..

altho.. in some cases u can buy some coilovers i.e. tein SS which are ADR approved already..

BUT

i went with my friend one day to clear his defect and they said as long as the coil is held in correctly and the spring is captive then it should be ok??? but i have no idea.. but if yoru worried about getting defected then leave your car stock..

we tec
03-09-2008, 02:27 PM
haha, they'll defect you when THEY feel like it, whether you do anything wrong or not... i dont drive like a hoon and im not a smart arse either... sure if your a dick to them im sure they'll make life harder, doesnt mean to say they wont anyway... im just sick of all these fan dangled products on the market, when you spend the money and put some effort into your car it all gets undone by some dickweed in a blue shirt.

GreekWarrior
03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006 .pdf

This last ones for QLD, so it my not apply to other states but it should be similar

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebde8d0521b67c6/Pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

TALEB TYRES
04-09-2008, 12:01 AM
for NSW,
unless its engineered its illegal.

Ive got adjustable coilovers in my car, the 1st thing cops ask me, is the susp engineered?
reason is alot of ppl get defceted for clearance, it takes 2 minutes to change the height with adjustable coilovers and then change back after the 'test', so they are really anal on this caus they know how easy it is to change.
but ye depends on the cop at the end of the day.
Having engineers is like a slap to their face!
unless its at the pits, then it means nothing pretty much.

Tegzieboi_BAR
04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
since we're on a this topic i was just wonderin what exactly do cops look at when defecting the car 4 height, coz ive heard different things... ie 10cm off ground, dist between tyre n guard and cntre of wheel 2 guard... or do all these factors come into it? i understand that it may differ in diff states.

trism
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
i just read the Vehicle Modification Code of Practice, and all it it says is that the maximum you can lower a car is 1/3 of the original height...

trism
04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
here we go

For any point in the width of the vehicle which is within 1 metre fore and aft of any axle - 100
millimetres;
b. For the midpoint between the two axles - 0.033 times the distance (in millimetres) between the two
axles; and
c. For any other point – at least the distance that allows the vehicle or combination to pass over a peak in
the road with a gradient on either side of 1:15, if the wheels of 1 axle of the vehicle or combination

rpm boy
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
10cm at the lowest point of the car, also they can get you cause your lights have to be 60cm from the road so theres a couple of things to look out for, if the coilovers are ADR approved then they should come with a Cirtificate saying they are ADR approved which you have to carry with you at all times which means they cant defect you for that "legally" but they will then hassle you about the height of the car, not the actual coilover, but at the end of the day i had everything on my car engineered and still got defected, its really subject to how they feel at the time of pulling you over, if they "think" its a defect (even though it may not be) they will still defect you... Perks of the job i guess. so in short if you modify your car even in the smallest degree you may be subject to defects

GreekWarrior
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
yeah

which use to be fine, but now we have those impound laws and have to go to court for defects etc.

dupac->
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
the cop that defected me knew i had coil overs.. i told him that i can raise it tomorrow to get it cleared... he goes "yeah thats fine.. easy for you then"

but only defected me for ride height.. not for the acutal suspension itself..

comes down to th knowledge of each cop..

IEVAQ8
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
i have tein super streets, they reason i got defect was for ride height not for having coilovers............

dupac->
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
the cop i had even asked me howlong does it take.. and what i have to do..

he seemed interested.. lol.. was a cool cop.. but still defected me
LOL
shat

we tec
04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
see this is whats annoying to me, the car is getting cleared on sat, im putting my quiet axle back muffler on ( its staying on 2 ) also im making a box for the aem v2 intake which is a pain but il get there, my car is pretty much 100mm off the ground which is good, but the thing that worrys me is lets say next week they pull me up again even though i have cleared the defects and for example defect my suspension cos they think its to low, even though it cleared last week that means i still get a $80 defect fine and still then have to book my car in to get it cleared AGAIN which costs money aswell!!.... even if you keep the paperwork from before and show that the car was cleared they could still give you the defect because they might THINK its too low.... hopefully this doesnt happen cos they ticked FULL INSPECTION the 1st time!!!

IEVAQ8
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
well, thet cant just defect the height unless they check it..........

rpm boy
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
take it to court and get it cleared but then you pay court fees

trism
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
yes, they cant defect you unless they prove it.

just make sure that youre always 100mm high, and they wont try to ping you for being too low.

100mm is too low anyways imo. you cant get over speed humps etc

125-130 is a good height

rpm boy
05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I they can write it on the defect slip but its not finable

nd55
05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
> "10cm at the lowest point of the car,"

This doesn't include exhaust, only chassis.

Also, springs need to be captive.

Trism> and all it it says is that the maximum you can lower a car is 1/3 of the original height...

I think it is possible to interpret that as being as retaining at least 2/3 of OEM suspension travel.

Smaller tyres, shortened shocks and/or Dropped spindles allow for lowered stance with full suspension travel.

I guess its all up to the engineer.

Nick.

beeza
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Keep it as stock looking as possible,save yourself the trouble of cops and thieves.

GreekWarrior
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
> "10cm at the lowest point of the car,"

This doesn't include exhaust, only chassis.

Also, springs need to be captive.

Trism> and all it it says is that the maximum you can lower a car is 1/3 of the original height...

I think it is possible to interpret that as being as retaining at least 2/3 of OEM suspension travel.

Smaller tyres, shortened shocks and/or Dropped spindles allow for lowered stance with full suspension travel.

I guess its all up to the engineer.

Nick.

so it doesn't include exhaust? where'd you here that?

I'm pretty sure it's any point

trism
05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
it does include exhaust

the ruling states the lowest part. not the lowest part of teh chassis

if it was the chassis, we would all get chassis lifts, then massive bodykits to bring the body work down

marky53
05-09-2008, 06:11 PM
i have tein super streets, they reason i got defect was for ride height not for having coilovers............

as far as I know, in Vic coilovers are not defectable unless you have lowered them below the legal ride height which I thought was 100mm but not sure.....

preludacris
05-09-2008, 08:42 PM
i heard teins are defectable, well in the prelude models anyway, as they don't have brackets for the brake lines.

TALEB TYRES
06-09-2008, 01:25 AM
so it doesn't include exhaust? where'd you here that?

I'm pretty sure it's any point

it doesnt include below the axles, so if your exhaust hangs low between your back wheels, it doesnt count, as logically that area will never be near the floor. but if your pipe and cat are too low then ur fkd.l

GreekWarrior
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
ah true, yeah makes sense.

I was gona say, because my cats the lowest point (apart from those plastic splash guard things, which are coming off after i get my coilovers :p) so if it didn't include that then I could of lowered it heaps haha

thepope1986
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
9/10 times cops have no ideas about cars. its BS that they harrass people and have no idea about what is actually legal/ illegal on cars. your best bet would be to find a copy of the transport act dealing with this sort of stuff and having a read. thats what im doing before i start modding my civic. then you know 100% your car is legal and if you get defected take them to court and im pretty sure they have to pay if you win (not 100% though)

thepope1986
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
COPS ARENT MECHANICS they have no idea lol

lukecivic
06-09-2008, 03:53 PM
COPS ARENT MECHANICS they have no idea lol

the police actually receive alot of training regarding subjects like this now and alot of the cops ive met actually are car enthusiats. So they be careful what you say, alot of them have alot more idea then you think.

Coilovers are deffinately defectable even if the car is at the correct height.
However they are deffinatelty engineerable.

we tec
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
as far as i know any part of the car that is under 100mm is defectable, my cat probly hangs down at 85-90mm, but the car is 100mm on the mark if anything a touch over....
i have heard of police using a 100mm block on a extendable pipe which they move around under your car, if it contacts anything its a defect.... as far as the coilovers which im looking into getting, the teins are adr approved, the buddyclubs are not, if you got teins keep the paperwork that states they are adr approved and you shouldnt get defected unless you under 100mm ride height which you will be defected for regardless.

lukecivic
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
as far as i know any part of the car that is under 100mm is defectable, my cat probly hangs down at 85-90mm, but the car is 100mm on the mark if anything a touch over....
i have heard of police using a 100mm block on a extendable pipe which they move around under your car, if it contacts anything its a defect.... as far as the coilovers which im looking into getting, the teins are adr approved, the buddyclubs are not, if you got teins keep the paperwork that states they are adr approved and you shouldnt get defected unless you under 100mm ride height which you will be defected for regardless.

oh i didnt know buddyclub arnt adr approved :(.. o well, i dont know of anyone having troubles with them at any of the tracks because they arnt approved.

Though if theyre not engineered they can defect you for it...simple as that. Just depends on the cop

nd55
08-09-2008, 04:41 PM
> it does include exhaust
> the ruling states the lowest part. not the lowest part of teh chassis.

I'm pretty sure I read it in the design rules/guide lines somewhere but can't recall where at the moment.

> b. For the midpoint between the two axles - 0.033 times the distance (in
> millimetres) between the two
> axles; and
> c. For any other point – at least the distance that allows the vehicle or
> combination to pass over a peak in
> the road with a gradient on either side of 1:15, if the wheels of 1 axle of
> the vehicle or combination

This rings a bell, where did you you grab this from Trism?

ER: coil overs.

> the cop i had even asked me howlong does it take.. and what i have to do..

He/She was indulging you

In my experience most police are car nuts....
to the point of knowing wheel widths applicable to an LJ torana. he, he.
Who remembers that crap? and why a LJ Torana?

> since we're on a this topic i was just wonderin what exactly do cops look
> at when defecting the car 4 height, coz ive heard different things...

> ie 10cm off ground, dist between tyre n guard and cntre of wheel 2 guard...
> or do all these factors come into it?
> i understand that it may differ in diff states.

All those factors apply.

Not sure about center of wheel to guard though.

The problems are the ADR's aren't exact and have information spread through them at different locations, and the practical interpretation of these rules changes as well.

Also, the vehicle registration bodies/police are state bodies which have their own views.

If the states can't set a single railway gauge (really easy), don't expect much for the modern vehicle rules (moderately easy).

Still, we have cleaner & safer cars than ever, and that's not a bad thing.

Nick.

trism
08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
i got that figure from the vehicle modification guidelines

also, when you wanna quote multiple messages, you click the button next to the "quote" button, as its multi quote, click each post you wanna quote, then on the last one, press the "quote" button

beeza
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
ah true, yeah makes sense.

I was gona say, because my cats the lowest point (apart from those plastic splash guard things, which are coming off after i get my coilovers :p) so if it didn't include that then I could of lowered it heaps haha

My front splash guard under the engine hung low and scraped until I finially cable tied it up :thumbsup:

GreekWarrior
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah, mines around 110-120mm from the ground atm :S

beeza
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah it's great to go over those speed bumps with zero scrapeage now :)